• Location: FL
  • Roles: VIP
  • Join Date: December 30, 2018
I Will Never Let You Go
Mar 9, 2019
Let's overlook for a moment the fact that the cute/comedic factor on this show pushed the limits so hard that it touched "annoying" instead of "cute" more often than not, AND let's also set aside the ridiculous amount of screen time the show gave us of the 2nd main lead (who, let's face it was a douche who never really even tried to amend his douchery ways) who truly never had a shot with the main actress so that "love triangle" was just a plot point that served no real purpose other than to annoy watchers and muddy an already muddied/shakey storyline, BUT THAT ENDING EPISODE. Dear god, WHY?
World's Worst Ending. World's Highest Number of Plot Threads Left Dangling in a Single Show. -_-
I'm not going to go into details about the ending to remain spoiler free, BUT I will say that it was RUSHED, RIDICULOUS, HORRIBLY THOUGHT OUT, and let sooooooo many unanswered questions. Not things left open for interpretation, NO... literally left things unanswered and left characters who were pretty "evil" doing a 180 from the rest of the show and suddenly being seen as "good"??? WHUT? I haven't been this let down by an ending in a very long time. I can take heartbreak. I can take a realistic, tragic ending. What I can't take is 10 minute of random tragedy for no reason whatsoever as if watching 50+ episodes meant nothing to the viewer/fan.

Capital Scandal
Mar 23, 2019
I feel like I found a hidden GEM when I stumbled upon this show. It's been a long time since I laughed so hard! This show was hilarious and such an entertaining watch. I adored the actors, music, and storyline. There was a lot of funny moments, but a lot of serious ones too. I'd recommend this to anyone who is a fan of the 1930s, spies, mystery, comedy, and a splash of romance.
My only two beefs with this drama are (1) The main guy, every time he was in a serious conversation or wanted to know something, he SHOUTED. I mean, literally, shouted in any scene where there was "tense" dialogue. I started to cringe every time in anticipation of the shouting. & (2) The main girl. WHYYYYY didn't they ever update her wardrobe??? I get that it was part of "her thing" but for what her character was doing... it was too dangerous for her to dress like that. I truly thought she would grow/change just a little in that respect by the last few episodes but it never happened. Also... her character was written just a little over the top on the naiveté. Both took away a little from the overall picture/enjoyment for me.
With that being said, I still adored this show. You need to watch it. You can thank me later. ;-)

Touch Your Heart
I debated between a 8 & 9 rating since I was at about 8.5. I decided to round up to 9 for the simple reason that I grinned through the entire show, love the actors, and it was super entertaining.
The things I loved and the things had issues with are below so you can make your own decision on whether to watch or not ^_^
DISCLAIMER: I watch dramas & read books to be entertained and never really over-analyze every little thing, picking it to pieces, so my perspective is skewed in that way.
Things I loved about the show:
1. The acting. It was done very well by some wonderful actors!
2. The music/sound effects. I love me a romcom with adorable sound affects and even graphic popups ala WWWSK!
3. The romance. It was adorable and extra points for not having the cliche ex girlfriend or mother acting crazy trying to keep the main leads apart.
4. The side characters/storylines. I really appreciate a show where you truly want to watch the supporting characters and are invested in what is going on with them and do not end up skipping their parts.
5. The actual cases they worked on. I loved all of them and how they were handled.

What I had some tiny issues with:
1. The stalker ex-boyfriend plot. It was not very well done. He shows up and is taken care of wayyyy to easily/quickly considering the entire plot surrounding the main female lead was based on what he did to her.
2. I'm just going to say it. The evil laugh that the ex-stalker boyfriend had. Whut? I can't handle such an over the top villainous laugh. *shrugs*
3. The romantic wrap-up of two of the side characters. The office manager guy and the woman with the daughter? I mean you see this deep affection from the guy over lots of episodes and even though nothing happens, you can't help to build up a lot of hope for him. Let me clarify... it's NOT that they don't end up together that rubbed me the wrong way. It's that they are given about 2 minute of screen time for a flat rejection in the final episode and I felt that the build up didn't justify the abrupt dismissal of that particular story thread. The way it was handled was a disappointment to me personally.

All in all... this s how did deliver EXACTLY what I was looking for when I began watching it and that was a super cute, fluffy romance where I smiled through the whole thing and came away feeling lighter than when I started. I didn't overthink it. I just allowed myself to enjoy it for what it is. :)

Her Private Life
Jun 14, 2019
Will keep this super short since it has so many reviews already. This show was adorable and romantic with a great chemistry between the leads. I loved that she was a fangirl. I loved that I felt myself grinning through the whole show. I loved that there wasn't cliche exes and such manipulating and tearing the leads apart and I also loved that there wasn't the cliche 100 misunderstandings to keep the leads apart. The show was very well written in that regard. The acting was fabulous with some of my favorites, including the main lead actress and the lovely woman who played her mother. LOVE.

Devilish Joy
Jun 13, 2019
This show was a joy to watch.
The actors did a fabulous job and the chemistry between the leads was sizzling!
The storyline was beautiful and heart-wrenching all at the same time. The writers did a wonderful job.
As usual, I do feel the "bad guys" got off lighter than they should have, but, I've come to almost expect that in Asian dramas, especially "romcoms" and dramas that include romantic elements.
Devilish Joy is definitely one of my favorite shows I've watched recently. I ADORE Choi Jin Hyuk! :)
Rookie Agent Rouge
Jun 8, 2019
One of the best Chinese dramas I've ever seen.
I feel like the show's "synopsis" is pretty misleading. Yun Zhi and Yu Hao are not sweethearts/crushes and the search never "leads to a member of her own family". I'll do a re-write of the synopsis and post it below. :-)
---------->
Lan Yan Zhi is a privileged banker’s daughter in Shanghai and a student activist who mistakenly comes into possession of a letter from the Japanese Army in 1937. Zhou Yu Hao, an upstanding officer in the Chinese Army, helps his superiors convince Yan Zhi to work with them as a spy in order to prove her own innocence and the innocence of her friend by infiltrating the home of her best friend, Feng Man Na, and help Yu Hao track down a mysterious traitor. But what will Yan Zhi do when the search turns friends into enemies and enemies into friends?
--------->
And now that I'm finished with the show. WOW!
I loved it. It had amazing acting. Tons of action and drama and emotion. This is one of the few shows with this many episodes where EVERY episode meant something to the overall plot and nothing ever dragged or was a waste of time. The show was so very well executed. I'm just sorry I didn't watch it MUCH sooner.

IRIS
Jun 8, 2019
The acting and storyline were SO well done. Action, political/spy intrigue, romance, and sooooo much heartbreak. I loved it and... I also hated it. If you enjoyed this show you may also enjoy Rookie Agent Rouge, though it is set in the 1930s. Highly recommend if you enjoy spy thrillers that keep you on the edge of your seat with amazing acting.
Caution ⤵

If you only enjoy shows with a HEA (Happily Ever After), you may want to skip out on this one. The show was beautifully done, but my heart won't be getting over that final episode ANY time soon. ???? P.S. This show is available on NF as of 3/20/19.

Temptation
Quick review.
I wanted to love this show, but it fell short for me. The characters ended up one note and boring by the halfway point of the show and I actually didn't care by the final episode that the ending sucked.
I was more interested in Hong Joo's transformation and story and even though I believe she grew the most as a character and became the stronger as a result of all that happened, I couldn't help but feel she got the short end of the stick with that ending.
I mean, really? I felt like everyone else walked off into the sunset holding hands and she just ended up let down and alone again. Ick. I almost wish for a Part Two JUST about her so we can see her with a HEA at the end of all her trials. But that's probably just me being petty. ;-)
I also want to make note of one thing since I saw people blaming the main female lead for being the one who actually broke their marriage because "he didn't actually betray her until after they divorced." UMMM NO.
Nothing happened in Hong Kong. Fine. BUT The point isn't that he wasn't required to sleep with her for that money.
The REAL POINT is that he stayed behind ASSUMING he was going to sleep with her for the money. He let his wife leave THINKING he was going to have to betray her for that money. He was SURPRISED he didn't have to. So... he was FULLY prepared to betray his wife for that money and THAT, MY FRIENDS, is what broke their marriage. Just because (oh sigh of relief) he didn't have to is a side-note and besides the point.
ALSO... him staying longer ($3?) to have "fun" with her before returning to his wife is in and of itself the worst kind of betrayal. His wife was 100% right in assessing the situation. Him seeing her after HongKong and then going to work with her just to test his manly resolve? Stupid, Childish, and the final straw. *shrugs*

Lust, Caution
Jun 7, 2019
I had this on my "not interested" list based on ONE review saying how she nearly threw up watching it. Stupid thing to do. The movie was amazing. Hard to watch? yes. But it was raw, real, and beautifully acted and written. If you don't like sex scenes, then skip. If you have a rape trigger, then skip. If violence offends, skip. This movie was tragic and yet beautiful. It is not for everyone and not something you watch often if you don't want to land yourself in a dark place, but it is something worth watching if you want to see a truly well done but painful-to-watch movie.

Desperate Love
Mar 9, 2019
wow. what a very very heartrending show. :( I really wanted to knock some sense into Jing Xuan OFTEN. He really was kind of an idiot and that made it hard to watch at times BUT I still liked the show for some weird reason. *shrugs*
I wouldn't watch this if you want a show with a HEA or even any amount of "happy vibes" throughout the show. To be truthful, the whole things was painful to watch with very few "silver lining/happy" moments sprinkled throughout. I don't mind a tragic ending, but I prefer a little few bright spots here and there throughout the darkness in a long show.
Still, I couldn't seem to look away. I must enjoy torturing myself(?) lol

The Rise of Phoenixes
Dec 31, 2018
I'm not sure I'll ever watch another historical that will ever compare to The Rise of the Pheonixes for me. This is one of the most moving shows I've ever seen. Not just compared to other Chinese shows, but to any show I've ever watched. The acting is superb. The cinematography, the writing, the emotion, the costumes... everything is absolutely breath-taking. This show stuck in my mind long long after the last episode ended. & although I'm not happy with that ending, I did anticipate that is was coming and it is so well done that I don't believe it took away from how enjoyable the show is on the whole. What I wouldn't give for an alternate ending though. ;-)