• Last Online: Aug 4, 2018

PrashastSingh

India
Master
Mar 18, 2018
This was the first South Korean film I was excited to see with huge expectations. Finally after months of waiting, I got to watch it with English subtitles. I would in brief say that MASTER is an action thriller which is entertaining. The three lead men are the real masters of the film & I think the title should have been Masters instead of Master. But that's not an issue, man.

Lee Byung-hun, Kim Woo-bin and Kang Dong-won rule the screen with their act. But it's Lee Byung-hun who impresses yet again after his brilliant INSIDE MEN. The editing is fine but could have been better. The film could have been shorter, though it has the action sequences placed accordingly. Visuals & cinematography are eye- catching. Story and screenplay both are well-woven, but a little tighter writing would have made the film better in the first hour. Anyhow, the film keeps you hooked for the most part because it offers plenty of entertainment.

Overall, MASTER is a well made action thriller that deserves to be watched if you like action thrillers with clean entertainment. No vulgarity at all. Check it out today, or wait for the Blu-ray, if it shows any chance of releasing. I'll soon watch it again some day, but with proper subtitles.

Inside Men: The Original
Mar 18, 2018
Lee Byung-hun impressed me when I last time watched his action-thriller I SAW THE DEVIL, which happened to be one of the best South Korean films I had seen. Now he comes with NAEBUJADEUL, or better termed INSIDE MEN, a political crime drama/thriller which has plenty of material to keep you engrossed.

Not going into too much depth, I would just like to say that INSIDE MEN is really entertaining. For the first time I watched a 3 hours long movie with so much interest. Yes, it's the director's cut I watched. Long, but no dull moments. The performances of all actors, including my favourite Lee Byung-hun are excellent. He rightly won the best actor award for this movie.

The film's visuals need a special appreciation as we hardly come across political thrillers with good visuals. Surprisingly, INSIDE MEN has terrific visuals that keep you engaged. The story and screenplay are excellent, the dialogues are too good. The action scenes are well filmed and executed. Cinematography is top notch and many beautifully filmed shots will be in your mind forever.

Overall, INSIDE MEN is a political thriller which is highly recommended. Needless to say, South Korean filmmakers prove themselves great yet again.

Ordinary Person
Mar 18, 2018
I didn't know about this movie and just randomly came across it. Seeing the genres, I decided to watch the film even without seeing the trailer. I had seen it quite earlier but decided to finally write down a review, the reason being I was highly impressed with it.

ORDINARY PERSON is by no means an ordinary film. It has an extraordinary screenplay which is bound to shake the viewers from inside. The film's biggest strength is that it's easily relatable. I wasn't seriously bored for even a second while watching it.

I don't know who the lead actors are, but I can say they did a commendable job, especially the lead actor. One won't find it difficult to connect to his character.

The screenplay is well written, and technically, the film manages to hold you till the end. The cinematography and action sequences too deserve a special mention. Dialogues are effective and thought provoking. Kudos to the director for giving us something out of the box.

This is one of the most relatable and emotionally gripping South Korean movies.

The Admiral: Roaring Currents
Mar 18, 2018
South Korean Cinema is known worldwide for its excellent action and thriller films. However, action flicks from there with a historical backdrop are also noteworthy, as they are visually quite strong and emotionally gripping. So is this Choi Min-sik starrer action-war film THE ADMIRAL. I saw it dubbed in Hindi. I was really impressed with the amazing visuals, action & battle scenes, while I was also completely gripped emotionally to the film in the entire second hour.

The first hour is a little slow. But that doesn't mean it isn't good. There are many outstanding sequences in the first hour. Emotions are very strong in portrayal throughout the entire film. There are many sequences bound to leave you spellbound, and you'll find yourself short of words to describe the visual excellence of the film.

The second hour is totally gripping. Not a single second is wasted. The entire second hour is entirely enjoyable, as the real grandeur of the film comes to be seen here. It's a film which has importance not only in South Korean Cinema, but also in world cinema due to its sheer excellence.

Choi Min-sik is ultimately powerful in the role he plays. Watch him act throughout the entire film, and you won't feel like he's acting but indeed living the character. Rest of the cast is praiseworthy as not a single performance goes over the top.

The film is extremely strong on the technical front. Be it the visual effects, the action sequences or the cinematography, everything is excellent. The powerful BGM enhances the viewing experience, and certain well executed sequences will hold your breath for sure.

THE ADMIRAL undoubtedly is one of the best South Korean films, especially in terms of presentation. You're bound to love it, but to love it completely make sure you don't find the first hour boring.

Asura: The City of Madness
Mar 18, 2018
South Korean action films are quite amazing and interesting to watch because of the kind of action they offer: unique and different. Due to being an action film lover, I found out about this action flick ASURA THE CITY OF MADNESS, and decided to watch it. Though there were initially some negative reviews on IMDb criticising the film's violence, I wasn't diverted at all and continued with my decision to watch this film. And I found it to be brutal, intense and enjoyable.

ASURA completely belongs to Jung Woo-sung, who handsomely plays his part. This time, I was seriously impressed with Hwang Jung-min. I haven't seen any other of his films except this one and the disappointing NEW WORLD, but I can say that this is his like the best performance he's ever delivered. No words for Kwak Do-won: he's an actor who plays every single role naturally and as usual, brilliantly.

The screenplay of the film is fully engaging with decent performances, action sequences, chases and everything you can expect from the film. And there's not only brutality: there's a lot more than that in this film. It raises questions which we perhaps come across daily. The answers lie in the questions themselves.

The action is this film's biggest strength. The well-choreographed action has a great repeat value as well. It's excellent enough to satisfy any action lover. Besides, the emotional scenes too generate emotions from the viewers, and in the end, you realize what anything bad can lead to.

ASURA is indeed the perfect example of how mad we the humans actually are. It doesn't only entertain you with its high-octane action but also strips before you the layers of madness a human mind has and can have.

Confession of Murder
Mar 18, 2018
Who doesn't like surprises? Especially the ones in a film? The genres themselves promised surprises in this South Korean action thriller CONFESSION of MURDER starring Jung Jae-young and Park Si-hoo. The film is so unpredictable, smart & intelligent that after watching it, you'll officially salute its makers, especially the one who scripted this masterpiece!

CONFESSION OF MURDER is the best of its kind. A film full of thrilling surprises and mindblowing action sequences, it's the perfect South Korean film I had been looking for. It easily proves that films and filmmakers in South Korea are nothing short of being branded as genius.

Visually, this film is an absolute masterpiece. The screenplay is the best thing about the film, as you won't have seen or heard such a brilliant screenplay before, ever. The action is another major strength, as are the two lead actors Jung Jae-young and Park Si-hoo: they keep you glued to the screen for the entire duration, and there's not a single moment in which you'll feel bored or distracted. Jung Jae-young delivers a sharp and intense performance, while Park Si-hoo keeps the viewers engaged with his solid expressions.

The film is gripping from its very first sequence. From here it won't be difficult to predict that the film's going to be unpredictable. Mark my words: UNPREDICTABLE. And I seriously mean it.

CONFESSION OF MURDER benefits a lot from the intelligent and watertight screenplay, but suffers slightly due to the editing, which often slows down the film's pace occasionally. But happily this doesn't happen for long and what you get at the end of the show is a cinematic masterpiece. Full marks to its director and writer Byung-gil Jung for such a well executed film, and a salute as well, for bringing out the best of the two lead actors as well as giving such a great film not only to the Korean but also the world audience. Strongly recommended!

The Yellow Sea
Mar 18, 2018
Director Na Hong-jin, known for his mindblowing action thriller THE CHASER, returns with THE YELLOW SEA, another action thriller but with a lot of difference as well as excellence. Starring Ha Jung-woo and Kim Yoon-seok, it's a film every cinema enthusiast should watch. It's a masterpiece by all means and a film which isn't just a film but something more than that.
THE YELLOW SEA is a film which presents human emotions in a very realistic manner. Ha Jung-woo is so excellent as Gu-nam that you'll definitely root for him. Kim Yoon-seok is very impressive as usual, and leaves and impact like the former. Rest of the cast is impressive as well.
The character development is what needs to be praised. It's so good that you feel like you know the characters fully, and eventually you manage to develop a psychological relation with them, especially Gu-nam played by Ha Jung-woo.
The film's biggest strength is the screenplay itself, as it contains all other brilliant elements a film of this genre needs. The cinematography is excellent and captures the journey of the characters very well. The action sequences are: extremely mindblowing and spellbinding! And due to this, they deserve a repeated watch. The editing is excellent, and I recommend you to watch the director's cut as it has a lot of depth. Can't say about the other version because I haven't seen that, but the director's cut being an amazing one is, I feel, better to watch.
The emotions are very well brought out on screen. The film is exactly what you can expect from a South Korean filmmaker. It's emotional, thrilling, violent, action packed and what not. It has everything to keep you hooked to the edge of the seat. There's not even a single dull moment and the film is very enjoyable despite of being quite dark as well.
THE YELLOW SEA is a perfect action thriller which shows what South Korean filmmakers are capable of. Definitely, with films of this kind, they will earn more respect in the eyes of viewers. Highly recommended!

KUNDO : Age of the Rampant
Mar 18, 2018
Period action epics are a delight and treat to watch, largely because of their scale of production, grandeur, visual effects, splendid cinematography and lots of jaw-dropping action sequences. I can happily say I found all these and rather much more than all these in the South Korean action epic KUNDO: AGE OF THE RAMPANT. It's so amazing that I can watch it again and again!

Ha Jung-woo is one of my favourite actors, and his performance is a major asset to this film. The transformation he undergoes is a treat to watch and his look suits him very well. Kang Dong Won is menacing at times, and delivers a terrific performance for a role that seems to be tailor-made for him. Cho Jin-woong and Ma Dong-seok are excellent and provide a good comic relief. Other actors like Lee Sung-min and Yoon Ji-hye, Lee Gyeung-young plays their parts extremely well. The best thing is that all actors fits in their respective roles.

Direction by Yoon Jong-bin is excellent. The story and screenplay are both excellent, as is the editing since the film never bores at all. The technical aspects, for which the film won a lot of acclaim and accolades, are the major strength of KUNDO. The action sequences are jaw-dropping and are bound to impress action fans. The visuals effects are extremely impressive, as is the splendid cinematography. I really loved one shot in the climax action sequence with Ha Jung-woo, which showed him walking, with a good usage of sound effects while maintaining a heavy impact.

The music too is a plus point of KUNDO, as it enhances the mood from time to time. Visually the film is like a fantasy.

KUNDO: AGE OF THE RAMPANT is undoubtedly a great action-fantasy epic that deserves to be seen, at any cost.

Train to Busan
Mar 18, 2018
To be very honest, I had never watched a zombie film in my entire life. I had heard about such films and also realized that mostly Hollywood produces such films. TRAIN TO BUSAN is an exceptional addition not just to the list of the best zombie apocalypse action thriller, but also to the list of best films of world cinema which portray human emotions in the most realistic and heart-touching way possible. Yes, it's that excellent.

TRAIN TO BUSAN is the first South Korean film to have a wide theatrical release in India. That attracted too. It was released in India in English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu. I watched the film first in Korean with English subtitles, and then in Hindi. And I realized that the film manages to convey its message and make you reciprocate emotionally for the film, whether you watch the dubbed version or the original version. The Hindi dubbing was good enough to add to the positive feel.

The art South Korean filmmakers know is how to add an emotional feel to different genres. Thus, TRAIN TO BUSAN is no exception as it makes you feel for every character. Gong Yoo takes his performance to a higher level and raises the bar for world cinema actors in the climax. He is extremely likable and excellent. Ma Dong-seok is brave, lively and energetic too. Jung Yu-mi impresses big time with her beautiful & emotionally active character. Kim Su-an is cute & impresses with her strong act in sequences which one can't expect from a child artist of her age. Other actors too deliver performances great enough to make you care for them.

The film's scale is big, and the visual effects are amazing. Cinematography is excellent and captures the locales & thrilling action sequences with plenty of intrigue, while also succeeding in sending chills down your spine through the emotional sequences. Thankfully, it's not an Indian film, otherwise filmmakers won't have rested without adding songs & unnecessary romance. Whatever you see in the film, looks very, very realistic. The tension is very well built and neither do you deviate from enjoying the film, nor does the film deviate from storytelling.

The story and screenplay are both excellent, and the editing is excellent. The only thing that disappointed me was the A certificate given to it by the Indian Censor Board called CBFC. Why? No nation of the world gave this film an 18+ rating except India & Malaysia. Leave Malaysian Certification system because they follow equal rules for all films Irrespective of the target audience. But in India, films with dozens of gory violence & bucket loads of vulgarity get a UA (PG) certificate. TRAIN TO BUSAN is a clean family entertainer despite the A certificate it has been subjected to. But it's not a mistake of the makers, so there was no flaw I found in the film.

Overall, TRAIN TO BUSAN is a must watch film for any movie enthusiast. Irrespective of language and nation barriers, the film deserves to be watched by one and all. And yes, I forgot to tell. This film was the first one that actually made me cry. No film before had compelled me to shed tears, but this film did. Even the emotionless will emote. Such strong is this film. Go, watch it with your family and enjoy it fully, along with respecting the safe life we have from zombies in reality.

Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Mar 18, 2018
Revenge movies have always been my taste. South Korean filmmakers have a great skill in churning out excellent revenge films, with OLDBOY and I SAW THE DEVIL being the best examples. While these films have grown into being classics ever since they released, Park Chan-wook, the director of the former film, gave another solid revenge film even before it came out. The film, SYMPATHY FOR MR VENGEANCE, is to say simply one of the best revenge films to come out from South Korea. Well-written and well- timed, there's a lot one can take home after watching this film.

SYMPATHY FOR MR VENGEANCE, as the title itself says, is a film about revenge and thus it's no spoiler. In its overall duration, there wasn't even a single dull moment and the film was livened up by a solid execution along with some top notch performances and the screenplay.

Song Kang-ho is one of my favourite South Korean actors, and he proves why. He portrays every emotion with perfection. He breathes and rather, lives the role of Park Dong-jin. Shin Ha-kyun is excellent as Ryu, and his performance will definitely have you rooting for him in certain scenes. Doona Bae as Cha Yeong-mi has a lot to do, but delivers only occasionally. Other actors, including Han Bo-bae and Lim Ji-Eun are excellent too.

The film's editing is commendable, along with the cinematography being another major plus. The action is brutally intense and well executed on screen. There are some gruesome scenes as well, but they aren't too extreme to be very difficult to watch. This must indicate that this film isn't for kids or even, the faint-hearted. The emotional scenes are quite effective and manage to make you feel for the characters. The screenplay is excellent with no major hindrances to storytelling, eventually leading to a powerful and effective climax.

The only flaw is that the story is a little convoluted in a few scenes due to which many might not be able to understand what happened.

Apart from it, there is no such flaws you'll find. Just start watching it. You won't even wish to find any.

To sum up, SYMPATHY FOR MR VENGEANCE is a powerful and intense action thriller which raises the bar for South Korean revenge movies, eventually finding its top position in the list of the best movies of the World Cinema. You may definitely watch it, and it would be better if you watch it as soon as possible. Better catch it on a Blu-ray, to experience the depth with which the cinematography captures the fine visuals in this dark yet entertaining film.

The Host
Mar 18, 2018
I was quite curious to see this film for multiple reasons including the presence of Song Kang-ho. But after I watched it, I realized there's a lot more to love, appreciate and remember as well. Bong Joon-ho's efficient direction holds the film, and the visual effects impress, too. The film's worth watching on a Blu-ray for its decent cinematography, visuals and action scenes.

THE HOST is decently executed, and its not being excessively gory makes it an interesting watch for kids as well. They are bound to love it. The director's approach towards the film's genre is interesting and he binds action, emotions and thrills very well in the film. The screenplay is excellent, as the film doesn't take too long in setting up the story and characters. The editing too is a major plus.

Technically, it's one of the best South Korean films. From visual effects to action scenes: everything is executed and presented very well.

As far as the performances are concerned, every actor does a great job, but of course it's Song Kang-ho who takes the lead with his top notch performance.

THE HOST is undoubtedly an excellent and memorable action-horror flick which is a must watch for anyone who loves watching films.

The Unjust
Positives:

-The performances of the lead actors are quite effective.
-The background score is at times very impactful.
-The action sequences are very well choreographed and executed.
-The script is very unique: I have never seen anything like this before. The screenplay is very engaging, especially in the second hour.
-The humour in many scenes is very well used and will make sure you laugh out loud.
-The climax is quite effective and excellent.

Negatives:

-The film takes a lot of time to set up.
-The editing could've a bit better since the pace in the beginning is not very good.

Repeat value: Yes

Overall, THE UNJUST is an entertaining action film from South Korea which is bound to impress with its highly entertaining action scenes and unique script.

No Mercy
Positives:

-The performances of Sol Kyung-gu and Ryoo Seung-bum are very realistic and impactful, while Han Hye-jin also performs extremely well apart from looking pretty.
-The screenplay is top notch. There are no deviations to the storytelling and it keeps you hooked to the edge of the seat.
-The action scenes have been neatly shot and executed.
-The twists and turns eventually turn out to be thought-provoking.
-The editing is excellent as the film rarely has any dull moments and grips the viewer completely.
-A lot of graphic scenes add a realistic touch to the film.
-The climax is very powerful and makes the film quite unforgettable.

Negatives:

-Well, nothing much.

Repeat value: Yes

NO MERCY is a very tightly scripted, well written and masterfully crafted action-crime thriller which stands at par with many classic South Korean revenge-themed movies.

A Taxi Driver
Feb 25, 2018
(First of all, let me tell you all that the user Senpai has copied my review from IMDb on this site, so don't think I'm the one who copied)

I've been highly impressed long time by Song Kang-ho, and I've been watching many of his movies since later few months. I was highly excited to watch his new historical action drama A TAXI DRIVER, because the trailer was highly impressive. It showed how the film would turn out to be. I just wanted to see it as soon as possible and I finally got the opportunity.

A TAXI DRIVER, without a second thought, is the best South Korean film I've seen till date. From narration to execution to performances to presentation: it's perfect in each and every aspect. The change in the tone of the film has been brought up extremely well, thanks to its director Jang Hoon. The screenplay is never disappointing throughout, and the film comes out as both a refreshing as well as a memorable experience.

The film's editing is top notch as it doesn't take much of time to introduce and set up the characters as well as the storyline. As the film progresses, you find yourself connected to the characters, especially the ones of Song Kang-ho and Thomas Kretschmann. Both actors have delivered extremely excellent performances, and rather so excellent that I ended up rooting for them completely. When they smiled, I smiled. When they cried, I cried too. Rest of the supporting cast, especially Ryu Jun-yeol and Yu Hae-jin deserve a lot of praise.

The film's technical aspects are top notch. The visuals are breathtaking and the story is well captured by a first-rate cinematography. The film's action sequences are another major highlight, as they induce a lot of excitement along with tension as to what would happen next. The film's not extremely violent, and thus I recommend you to watch it with your family. There's no vulgarity or obscenity in this film.

There are plenty of emotional sequences which make the film a totally unforgettable experience. Watch the film and you won't find it difficult to guess which scenes I'm talking about. Various emotional, thrilling as well as action packed sequences have been elevated by the brilliant music.

A TAXI DRIVER is a hard-hitting film which must be seen not just for its overall excellence but also for the message it delivers to its viewers. It's hard and almost impossible to forget the film, as you're left highly emotional & impressed by the time the credits start to roll. In short, a perfect masterpiece from South Korea!

The Chaser
Feb 25, 2018
South Korean Cinema is continuously giving terrific movies be it any year. New or old, the action thrillers there are honestly engaging. Director Na Hong-jin's extremely well made, well scripted and we'll shot action thriller THE CHASER is yet another film from South Korea which is obviously excellent. For lovers of such films, there's nothing more you could wish for.

THE CHASER manages to break the boundaries which normally films don't. Be it the mind-boggling thrills or the highly octane action sequences, everything about this film is excellent from the start to end. Na Hong- jin is a great director, we all know, and he uses the two lead actors Kim Yoon-seok and Ha Jung-woo brilliantly. The film never gives you what we usually expect in movies of this genre. It delivers everything out of the box. In other words, the film is unpredictable and there's no chance of being disappointed with this film.

Kim Yoon-seok and Ha Jung-woo are amongst the most talented actors from South Korea. Their performances are extraordinarily excellent. Other actors deliver decent performances. Visually, this film is both stunning and appealing so try to catch it either on a Blu-ray or simply in high quality. The tension and atmosphere of the film are both built brilliantly and the solid action sequences hold your breath as they unfold. The humour present throughout the film is decent. Cinematography is also praiseworthy. The editing, however needed to be tighter in a few portions but that's absolutely fine and this minor flaw can be ignored.

With that, THE CHASER turns out to be another out-of-the-box, unpredictable and unexpectedly very gripping and amazing action thriller which deserves to be watched. Due to the overall product being excellent, it can be watched more than once.