• Last Online: Jun 12, 2019

PrashastSingh

India
Black House
Mar 18, 2018
South Korean films are definitely worth watching, especially action thrillers. But horror movies from there are also quite well made, and this film BLACK HOUSE is the proof. It's very nearly written, well conceived and quite refreshing. It has got the basic elements which will impress any moviegoer, and it's not merely for horror fans.

BLACK HOUSE opens on a gripping note and proceeds to tell the story without any hiccups, thanks to the editing. The screenplay is quite engaging, and it would be hard to leave this film in between, even if you're busy. The film stays true to the genre, and this is absolutely a positive sign.

Hwang Jung-min is a very talented actor who with his performance proves that he can pull out roles of any kind he's given. He excels in multiple sequences, and his dialogue delivery is decent. Yoo Sun and Kang Shin-il are menacing and their solid performances are a major asset to the film. Kim Seo-Hyung and other supporting actors, however don't have much to do but still end up delivering good performances.

The cinematography is decent, and is excellent in multiple shots. The small action bits have been done decently, and some shots are really praiseworthy. The climax was unexpectedly amazing and jaw-dropping. See it to believe!

If you love watching horror films, then BLACK HOUSE is a treat of course, but even if you don't, the film will take you on a creepy ride if you have courage to step in!

A Dirty Carnival
Mar 18, 2018
To be straight and honest: A DIRTY CARNIVAL by director Yoo Ha is a masterpiece of its genre. The film's very well made, and there's a lot more than what you would've expected. Yes, it was a little slow burning in places, but the overall impact made by the film was quite a strong one. Jo In-sung is a terrific actor, and I'll look forward to more of his movies.

The screenplay is the real hero of A DIRTY CARNIVAL. Not for a moment does it let go of the grip on the viewer. The film has, apart from this, a lot more things to admire. The director has depicted everything very well. The character development is quite good, and it's quite easy to be connected to the lead character played by the very talented Jo In-sung. He's superb throughout the entire film and he rules alone with his act. Rest of the cast does a great job but he's alone enough to impress the viewers.

The action scenes are extremely well choreographed, and quite realistically executed on screen. The cinematography is also very good, and the production values are quite good.

The film, however is quite long and doesn't really justify this long duration. It could've been trimmed a little bit, almost close to 10 or 15 minutes for a better experience. But still, the film is a delight to watch. It had me excited to know what would happen in the end. The end was really very astonishing as well as impressive at the same time.

A DIRTY CARNIVAL is a well made action drama with a lot of offer as a treat to the viewers. You don't really need to have a very strong heart to watch this film. What all you need...is to watch this film!

Masquerade
Mar 18, 2018
Lee Byung-hun is my favourite South Korean actor, and I've said this many times. Having seen many of his action thrillers, I couldn't afford to miss this historical drama MASQUERADE, and happily it's a very entertaining film made with a recipe having two ingredients: a heart and many efforts.
Believe me, those efforts succeed.
MASQUERADE presents Korean traditions before the world with a genuine authenticity. The presentation is excellent, as is the visual work. The cinematography is extraordinary, and the film is visually so stunning that I recommend to catch it on a Blu-ray for the best experience.
History plays a great role in Korean Cinema. Here we see why and how.
With spoiling your viewing experience, I would like to say that it's a fine movie which can be seen with the whole family. There are a lot of humorous scenes and they are quite hilarious and enjoyable. The limited yet amazingly shot action remains within your memory.
Lee Byung-hun is in his top form. He acts extremely well and there's something genuine about his performance that makes you care for him. Ryu Seung-ryong is superb in his role. Han Hyo-joo is excellent, and so are the other actors.
The screenplay is executed with brilliance and so is the editing. The film, however could've been a little shorter.
There are a lot of effective sequences in the film, especially the climax which will leave you highly impressed.
MASQUERADE intends not only to entertain you, but also to ask you certain important questions. To find out those questions, first go and watch it. Then you'll get the answer yourself.

Tunnel
Mar 18, 2018
This one's poster, title, synopsis and trailer attracted me. And THE TUNNEL turns out to be the best survival drama apart from TRAIN TO BUSAN.

THE TUNNEL has a great deal of tension throughout. The film's premise is built very well. You do feel the suspense at right moments. The film delivers well on the technical front. The cinematography captures the splendid visuals very well. There aren't any hiccups throughout the entire film and you feel the character's pain.

Ha Jung Woo is super solid in this film. This is his first film I've seen. Doona Bae and Oh Dal Su give terrific performances. The few action sequences are very well shot.

And yes, this didn't let me move from my seat. I kept on watching and enjoying it till the end. It's a film that can be watched again. Full marks to the director Seong Hun Kim for executing a brilliant survival tale with excellence.

Overall, THE TUNNEL is an excellent film that can be seen multiple times for its cinematic excellence and a hard hitting indirect message to all.

Commitment
Mar 18, 2018
I didn't know about this film until I found that it was dubbed in Hindi. I saw it and found it to be unexpectedly good as most South Korean action thrillers are. COMMITMENT doesn't add anything new to the genre but provides a pretty great deal of action packed entertainment with a good portrayal of human emotions and relations, though the emotions slightly falter towards the end.
Choi Seung-hyun is good in his role. This is his first film I've seen. Other actors too were good. The screenplay is decent, and there are a lot of impressive moments throughout the film. The action scenes and visuals are amazing, as is the cinematography. Editing is fine.
Besides, COMMITMENT also has a great portrayal of emotions throughout. The story being realistic helps to connect to the characters and feel their pain. The heartwarming brother-sister relation is brought out very well. Full marks to the director for utilising and extracting great performances from his actors.
However, the film falters in the end. The climax was a good one but the emotions didn't come out well. It's only here that it's hard to feel for the characters, otherwise there's not a single scene where you won't.
But that being a minor flaw doesn't affect the film's entertainment quotient, and due to that I recommend watching COMMITMENT.

A Company Man
Mar 18, 2018
South Korean filmmakers have been impressing me constantly since they package their action-thrillers with world class stuff. Such is the So Ji-sub starrer action thriller A COMPANY MAN. Terrific action and well portrayed emotions along with some surprisingly amazing visual effects: that's what makes this film complete.

So Ji-sub is a good actor and that needs not to be told to his fans. But those who don't know him would need his introduction for sure. He is superb in the emotional sequences and uses his voice as an instrument to show his character. He does a stupendous job in the action sequences, which forms the film's highlight. Rest others, since I don't know their names, do a great job too.

The story and screenplay both are quite good, and the film is quite fast paced too. With a runtime of merely 96 minutes, thee film wins over you completely. The music is good. Cinematography, editing, dialogues are all good.

The only thing one might find as a glitch is that the film resembles A BITTERSWEET LIFE in some portions. Both were about the same kind of heroes and some elements do match. But at the end of the day, both films are quite different from each other. The film is quite dramatic in the beginning but later on builds the required tension with momentum.

Overall, A COMPANY MAN is yet another impressive South Korean action thriller that makes me say, "Go for it, I'm going to watch it again!".

The Age of Shadows
Mar 18, 2018
Director Kim Jee-woon is a my favourite South Korean film director. He knows the perfect way to create entertaining as well as social relevant films. Gong Yoo and Song Kang-ho aren't merely actors: they are the masters of the performances they deliver and when these three men come together with one film THE AGE OF SHADOWS: then there's seriously nothing except "excellent" that can describe the overall film, also because apart from the acting & direction, other departments too are handled extremely well.

The film is a must watch for anyone, especially South Korean audiences. They loved it and thus it became a Box Office success. But it's a film much more than just an entertainer. Unpredictable and well-detailed, the film's screenplay is quite excellent, and the execution is top notch. Don't ask about Kim's direction: it's excellent as usual. Same for Gong Yoo and Song Kang-ho: you'll be able to relate to them and feel what they go through, thanks to the natural performances of these two men. The reason what keeps you glued to the screens is the presence of mind- boggling thrills, breathtaking action sequences, splendid cinematography and a top notch execution along with delightfully awesome visuals supported by powerful emotions.

Seeing Lee Byung-hun in this film was an absolute pleasure. He plays his part perfectly. The humour in the film is quite decent and is placed accordingly. The editing, however needed to be tighter as it could've been trimmed to some extent. The film being a little slow might not engage everyone at once. But when it does, it does it seriously and successfully.

Having said that, I'll have no doubt I calling the film "Kim's masterpiece", since he lives up to the expectations one can have from him after he has delivered films which've changed the way world looked at South Korean Cinema. This film only adds up to the praise for the South Korean Cinema, and presents a lot of things we'll like to take back home with us.

The Berlin File
Mar 18, 2018
South Korean action thrillers are quite interesting to watch. Indeed I prefer watching mostly and rather, only action, drama and thriller films. So when I came across this action thriller THE BERLIN FILE starring one of my favourite actors Ha Jung-woo, I couldn't resist myself from watching it, and that too in high quality. However, I felt quite confused at times due to the script being convoluted to a great extent.

What keeps you engaged is the brilliant action. THE BERLIN FILE has really brilliant action sequences, and that's a major reason why one finds it somewhat easy to ignore the flaws. Visually, the film is a gem. Story wise, it's a masterpiece. Execution wise, it's great but not excellent.

Ha Jung-woo is extremely amazing in the role he plays. He's simply the best thing about the film. Just watch him in the action sequences and in the climax: his performance literally will blow your mind. Jun Ji-hyun is decent, and so is Ryoo Seung-bum: he's a firecracker when it comes to his act which he handles perfectly, and that's something which makes his character realistic.

The director Ryoo Seung-wan does a decent job by handling the screenplay and direction well. The editing too is fine. But as said before, the execution is the only thing which needed to be better as in the beginning, after the first scene, it's difficult to follow the story as it keeps getting convoluted and things get more complicated when scenes end without much explanation. However, the film never loses its focus and manages to entertain you, leading to a thrilling climax which makes you forget rather every single flaw.

THE BERLIN FILE is a powerful, breathtaking and intense action thriller which is a must see for the lovers of this genre. For others, I can easily recommend it, though they won't be easily able to follow the film in the beginning. Still, watch the film because the kind of action it offers is the one you won't have seen before.

The Man From Nowhere
Since I saw the film's Indian remake first and enjoyed it as well, I
will write just a brief review, as most of the praise has come out in
the review of the remake ROCKY HANDSOME.

THE MAN FROM NOWHERE is one of the best South Korean action films as it
provides great action, while also combining it will emotions and
thrills. The film is full of scenes that have gone down into the
filmmaking history as "classic".

Since I already knew the entire story due to having seen the remake, I
wasn't surprised but was still very impressed. Won Bin is a perfect
actor, and his performance will make you remember him for long. Kim
Hee- won is decent and plays his part well. Kim Sae-Ron is quite decent
in the role provided. Same for rest of the cast.

The action, as I said before is great. What I didn't mention is that
it's "dynamite" in impact.

Lee Jeong-beom's the MAN FROM NOWHERE is undoubtedly a smart action
film which is entertaining of course, but also quite different from
most action films.

Montage
Mar 18, 2018
Having heard a lot about this thriller, I decided to watch it one day.
And I was simply impressed. The film kept me to the edge of the seat,
while also providing heartwarming emotions at the same time.

MONTAGE is a very well written, executed and directed film which
deserves to be seen. The film's unpredictability is perhaps something
which makes it one of the best Korean thrillers in the recent years. I
have not seen the acclaimed MEMORIES OF MURDER yet, which belongs the
same genre and also stars Kim Sang-kyung, the lead actor in MONTAGE. So
I can't say it is the best but is an excellent one for sure.

Uhm Jung-hwa's performance is another major reason why this film works.
She delivers extremely well and that's a major reason why she won so
many awards for this role. Kim Sang-kyung is excellent, and holds the
film extremely well. Kudos to the director for bringing out the best of
the entire cast.

The film's visually not a gem, but it doesn't compromise with
storytelling. And this is the best thing about the film.

MONTAGE is undoubtedly an excellent thriller which deserves to be seen.
Just watch it once, you won't be able to forget it. It's both thrilling
and emotional.

Hwayi: A Monster Boy
Mar 18, 2018
South Korean Cinema is getting creative with stories day-by-day. This film HWAYI, too is one such action thriller packed with powerhouse performances, electrifying action sequences, touching emotions, and of course, a very new and creative story.

I was excited since long to watch HWAYI as the trailer and its synopsis impressed me highly. I decided to check out the film. I couldn't do it earlier but when I watched it, I was left totally spellbound by the excellence of the film.

I've never seen a film like HWAYI before. The story's quite new, unique and different, due to which it turns out to be highly impressive.

Performances are a major plus of the film, as are the emotions and the action sequences. The visual effects too are impressive. One emotional sequence in the second hour had me feeling too much for the characters involved in it. I felt very sad and I felt that even after the film ended.

If this happens, then it means the director has succeeded in his attempt. No doubt he did!

Kim Yoon-seok...I have no words for his performance. He's the most natural actor I've ever seen. He never acts. He lives every character he plays. Here he proves why he's one of the best South Korean actors. Yeo Jin-goo is impressive in his first attempt, and his performance shows he has a long way to go.

The screenplay is wonderfully written and presented on screen. The film grips from the very first scene and entertains you throughout the enrtire duration, and heading towards a climax which is excellent and makes you feel emotional.

No doubt that HWAYI lives up to every single expectation one can have from it.

Rough Cut
Mar 18, 2018
After watching So Ji-sub's impressive action thriller A COMPANY MAN, I decided to watch more of his action films, and while browsing I came across this. The synopsis seemed extremely different, and this is what made me watch this film. After watching it, I can say it's a unique masterpiece from South Korea.

ROUGH CUT is a highly entertaining movie, thanks to its highly impressive action sequences, new story and the lead actors: So Ji-sub and Kang Ji-hwan. They hold the film together very well, and deliver enough of entertainment to make you remain hooked to it completely. Even emotionally, the film manages to engage you. There are certain scenes which are highly commendable.

I was seriously impressed with the film's storyline: I have never heard a story or seen a film like this before. Without adding much, I would just say that ROUGH CUT is an effective and highly impressive action film which you'll love for its originality and uniqueness apart from everything else it has.

A Bittersweet Life
Mar 18, 2018
I've previously said this: Kim Jee-Woon is my favourite South Korean director and Lee Byung-hun, my favourite South Korean actor. Thus seeing their combo once again after the mindblowing action thriller I SAW THE DEVIL, I was eager to see this movie. And I was highly impressed with this standard of filmmaking. Not every director manages to achieve what Kim has, through this film.A BITTERSWEET LIFE is an example of cinematic excellence which is beyond imagination. The film's quite entertaining, of course but it touches a chord down there in your heart: eventually making you feel for the lead character. Lee Byung-hun plays it very well like he does in most of his films. He's a master actor and this needs to be said again and again as everyone knows.Director Kim's direction deserves a special mention as without his powerful, imaginative and creative vision, the film won't have achieved what it did. From the screenplay to editing to action to dialogues to performances: there's nothing that will disappoint you actually. The action sequences are mindblowing and have the "classic" tag all over them. You'll love to play them on loop, and I'm not joking. Seriously. The film's dialogues too are a major strength and there are many you'll remember forever. A BITTERSWEET LIFE is indeed a masterpiece and Kim's gift to the entire world. Watch it, you'll love this action drama for sure. Make sure to catch it on a Blu-ray.

Old Boy
Mar 18, 2018
South Korean filmmakers know how to keep a secret hidden in any film. They indeed appear like detectives when they write such films...I mean make such films. OLDBOY is a classic South Korean action thriller which has been acclaimed all over the world. It changed the way world looked at the South Korean Cinema. This film is undoubtedly from the genius Park Chan-wook, who gave us the emotional revenge thriller SYMPATHY FOR MR VENGEANCE. This film, however also belongs to the nearly same category but has what that film didn't have: excellent action which is perhaps the most classic you've ever seen in a South Korean film.

Choi Min-sik is not just an actor, he's something lot more than that. Just watch the film and then you'll believe me. He's perhaps one of the most natural actor I've ever seen. This is his best performance till date. Kang Hye-Jung is excellent and has a great role which she plays effortlessly. Yoo Ji-tae is just brilliant: his best act is in the climax which you're bound to love.

The screenplay of the film is never disappointing at all. It never deviates from telling us one of the biggest tales of all time, and it fully engages us into watching it till the end. The action is seriously classic and mindblowing. The visual effects are terrific, as is the cinematography. The natural humour present throughout the film is decent, as is the portrayal of human emotions in the most realistic and effective way.

There are literally no more words I can have for OLDBOY except "Intelligent, classic, entertaining masterpiece."

The Suspect
Mar 18, 2018
Gong Yoo is a skilled and matured actor, and I witnessed this in TRAIN TO BUSAN, SILENCED and THE AGE OF SHADOWS. I was so impressed with him that I ended up being a fan of him. I searched for more of his action films, and came across THE SUSPECT. A film with a decent screenplay, visuals and action scenes, this one definitely guarantees a watch.

THE SUSPECT comes with bunch loads of surprises. These are quite effective as well. The story being a fine one and the screenplay being a decent one holds you, along with the action sequences being the best thing about the film.

One thing that is disappointing for sure is that the film doesn't have a proper execution in certain portions. The film's pace could've been better in the between when it begins to slow down. Certain sequences are deftly handled, while many are just executed in an unimpressive way. I can understand that the director would've tried his best, but he has not been successful in gripping the viewer completely. Some scenes look similar to many popular South Korean action films.

But these flaws flaws don't trouble you for long as the film lets go of the grip only occasionally. Once it regains, particularly in the second hour, it entertains fully with its terrific action scenes, cinematography and performances, heading towards a clapworthy climax. I was so overjoyed that I rewinded and replayed the ending scene. Here the director succeeds to a great extent.

Gong Yoo is excellent, and that needs not to be told. He looks even better and manly here. Park Hee-soon is terrific, and his character is quite likable to a certain extent, just like that of Gong Yoo. Yoo Da-in is just fine, and even though she overdoes her part in a few scenes, her act is a decent one.

THE SUSPECT may not be the best South Korean film, but with its stunning action, visuals and of course, its leading man, deserves to be seen at least once. I liked the action a lot, and I'll be watching it again.