• Location: UK
  • Join Date: November 29, 2018

Ordinary Family

by PurpleJem

Mar 29, 2019
This short film popped up in my youtube recommendations, and from the moment it started I found myself completely sucked in, and that stayed true till it finished. I was enraptured, eager to see what would happen. I found one section frustrating but that made it all the more satisfying when it all worked out. I really was hooked because I was completely unsure how things would go, a sign of good writing.
The main couple are adorable, they have really good chemistry - all of the acting in this short is really good, very believable. There are some cute moments and some funny moments, but this is mainly a drama. It isn’t TOO heavy or unrealistic though, I could see this actually happening. Plus, based on the title, I think it’s safe to assume this short was made with the intention of helping to normalise queer women in South Korea. Also, the drama isn’t just on Su-young - she's the main part of course, but there's one twist I certainly wasn't expecting.
There's an interesting vibe to this short that I don't know how to describe; the ebb and flow of it just feels different somehow. It feels real to life in that there are moments of laughter even with the shadow of conflict looming, and the tension builds until a character reaches boiling point and just spills out their emotions. The ending emphasises the realness of it the most - in real life things arent always discussed fully, conflict happens but then things settle down and people accept it after all.
I really enjoyed this and I very much recommend, the ending left me with a smile and a feeling of satisfaction. I’d rewatch for sure.