• Location: India

ShreeyaSharma

India
Finding Mr. Destiny
Jul 30, 2014
I absolutely loved everything about this movie. The way it was directed, the story, the actors, the premise, the end, music, cinematography, every single thing. This is the sort of romantic comedy I look for.

The concept for finding your first love again struck a chord with me and made me watch this on a whim. It turned out to be one of the best romantic comedies I've seen. The story was so captivating, the characters were so credible and relatable, I just sat through the movie in awe. The story takes a few minutes to settle in, though. You feel as if you're being fed random scenes but it all starts to make sense in about 20 mins max. And you forget about the initial confusion once you get engrossed in the film. The dilemma, the fear of pursuing your first love again has been portrayed amazingly.

Acting skills are not necessarily tested in a romantic comedy movie but the actors need to grasp the characters well and portray their emotions correctly. The lead pair managed to do more than that. They managed to imprint the characters in my memory. Great work by everyone!

The music is quite nice, I especially like the musical portion of the movie, it was really well done and Im Su Jeong did a classy performance!

This is a movie I will be rewatching time and again for sure. It's going down as one of my all time favorites. I just loved the whole feel of the movie and the things I got to learn from it. It's not overly mushy, it's not overly serious or comic either. It's got the perfect blend of everything and I enjoyed every bit of it.

This movie will hold a special part in my heart for a long time, it was such a great experience and moreover it was shot in my city (Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India a.k.a Blue City), all the more reason to cherish it. Worth the watch!

S Diary
Jul 29, 2014
When I read the synopsis for the movie I thought it'd be a typical romantic comedy through and through but most of the movie turned out to be a serious and mellow take on how relationships shape you up.

The story wasn't a novel idea but it was well executed. I loved some of the little bits and pieces of the movie. The characters were realistic and believable. What surprised me the most was the end of the movie. I had thought would be the message in the end was completely different than what was actually delivered and I wasn't upset at all. Being someone who knows what Jini went through, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I agreed with the end.

The actors did a splendid job making me believe in their performances and relate to the characters are real people and not just figments of imagination.

I'm really bad at noticing music in a movie unless something stands out especially so forgive me for not being able to really comment in this department.

Despite how much I liked the movie, if I was given a choice to rewatch it, I'd be in two minds. On one hand it gave a realistic view about relationships that was refreshing. On the other hand, I watch rom-coms to escape reality and feel good so I'm not sure if I'd watch it with that mind set.

It's a good movie, something you can pick over at the weekend and watch. Don't watch it with the delusion of being a friends-gathering sort of movie though.

Love Rain
Jun 6, 2014
The first thing I'd like to say is I'm having withdrawal symptoms. I won't even try to downplay it. I fell in love with the show. Love doesn't have to make sense, and my love for this show certainly doesn't make sense. A show that would have been better off with 16 episodes but was stretched to 20 episodes and dragged (for the lack of a better word) shouldn't have affected me in this manner but it did.

That's what this show was about, making me feel things. I got to see all kinds of love. You name it, you have it. There was the young shy love, the hot-blooded love, the infamous unrequited love, the love between friends, the love between family, the jealous love, the immature love - everything. The show WAS love.

If it hasn't struck you yet, I think I should make it clear that if you cringe away from anything too emotional or romantic (mind you, I didn't say the word mushy anywhere) you should steer clear from this drama. Because this drama set my emotions on an over-drive. I haven't cried so much in any drama. From the 1st episode itself! It was almost embarrassing for me.

The story isn't the best one out there but it worked for me. It showcased the pure unadulterated love that we rarely get to see. The first part (the 1970s era) was magical. The feelings, the music, the whole thing just took me to another world. There was this inexplicable pull that part of the show had for me, I could watch it a million times and not get enough. Impractical and way to high moral obligations, they just made the love seem more majestic. The other part of the show (the present age) was atypical. It had fun moments, straightforward and thankfully decisive people in love. Even though there was the element of girl-meet-boy-sparks-fly but there was also the fresh touch of maturity and understanding that separates this love from the other young loves we see now. We could have had the show end with 16 episodes and have a better story in our midst but somehow, the slow end, the way various things were taken care of at their own pace was something new. We usually have finales where the loose ends are tied up way too quickly and untidily. Here, you have a clear and smooth end. I think the last couple of episodes could be thought of as a mega-finale.

The actors should receive high commendations. Especially the lead couple - Jang Geun Suk and Yoona. These two simply took the show to another level. Be it the 1970s era or the present age. You cannot, how much ever you try, find similarities in their acting in the two periods. Their performance was so flawless that you fall in love with their characters along with them, you feel what they feel. The supporting cast was pretty great as well. I think they did well considering the roles they were given. The acting didn't seem misplaced at least, the characters were maybe a little off sometimes.

Music.. I think music is a gigantic stage of love. You cannot be in love and not listen to music. The music of this show simply swept me off. There is usually one song (maybe not even that) in a show that I like and listen to even after the show ends. But the music of this show, I loved it as a whole. It breathed life into the scenes and if possible, made it even more heartwarming. The title track touches my heart in a way no song has ever done, and I don't even know the language! That's what feelings are about I guess.

I don't usually ever watch the shows again, maybe sometimes a few scenes here and there, but I'm itching to start the show all over again as I type this, and it has not even been more than an hour since I finished it. The show reminded me what love is. It was melodramatic, it was long, it dragged through the latter part, it made me cry, it made me laugh, it made me smile for no reason, it made me cry with happiness, it made me blush, it made me angry, it made me angst-y, sometimes it made no sense at all. Sounds a lot like love to me :)

Falling for Innocence
Aug 1, 2016
It was on a whim that I began watching the show while I was looking for some KDrama on Netflix, and this title popped up. Funnily I recalled having seen the first episode while it was airing back in 2015, and funnily, it didn't capture my attention as much as it did this time. I cannot comprehend a single reason for that because I genuinely loved every bit of this show. So much so that I stayed up all night just to finish all the episodes without any breaks. Yes, this drama brought back my crazed need to finish a Kdrama at a stretch when I pick one. It is EVERYTHING you are looking for when you want to watch a heartfelt rom-com.

It's not a very original idea for a story, honestly, but who said it has to be original to be beautiful? The best part about the whole thing was that it never felt redundant, I never experienced the "Pfft-Not-Again" feeling that one usually ends up feeling when you watch rom-coms. The plot was well paced out, with enough content to cover 16 episodes impressively. Even when there were switches in the subplots, I didn't feel the awkwardness of it. And the story itself is so beautiful! I know I've already used that word for it once, but it just IS that beautiful. Just as the characters. Every character felt so real. The lead guy was never perfect, neither was the leading lady. Everybody made mistakes, everybody had doubts, everybody was human. The only issue I had was with the last 10 minutes of the last episode. I felt they could have explained things a little more smoothly. It felt just a little abrupt. Do get to the end and maybe you'll understand what I mean. But please, do get to the end. The journey matters more than the destination right? :)

The cast. Oh the cast. Kdramas keep making me realize there's so much acting talent in the world that I'm missing. The one jewel I discovered in this drama was Jung Kyung Ho. He was ridiculous, he was charming, he was obnoxious, he was adorable, he was a jerk, he was a hero. He stole the show. Not saying the rest of the cast didn't do a good job, I loved the leading lady's work as well, along with every other cast member, down right to the gritty-voiced Ahjussi Jung Kyung Ho mimics flawlessly. But every time I recall this show, I think I will fall again for Jung Kyung Ho (Did that rhyme?)

I loved the background score, it didn't seem out of place at all, and though one only gets to hear bits and pieces of it, mostly during the end credits of the episode, I listened to the whole thing without skipping to the end. That says something I guess.

YES YES YES. I would definitely rewatch this. Maybe not right away, but every time I feel down and want to feel good, I would watch this again. I waited for a day before writing this review because I didn't want to go overboard with my emotions that were so riled up when I finished it last morning. I had been crying like a baby (not exaggerating) by the end of the last episode. And when a show affects me to that level, I tend to recommend it to anyone who wants to watch a good show in the rom-com genre.

This isn't your average feel good rom-com either. It is a really well-made, well-acted show that you will definitely remember for a long long time. Must watch!

Love 911
Dec 21, 2014
When you watch a great movie such as this, I don't mind being generous with my ratings :D What I thought would be a feel good romantic comedy flick turned out to be so much more, and I'm not complaining. I loved every moment of this movie, almost didn't want it to end! I thoroughly enjoyed the novelty of the characters and the work that the actors did.

If you read the synopsis, it might seem like one you've read or seen before, and it is, objectively. But the manner in which the story was written and told, it was absolutely delightful to watch. Everything felt just right and nothing seemed to be rushed, the character development, the interactions, emotions, incidents that happened - everything was timed right. And the characters.. I just loved them! The character of Go Mi Seo was so refreshing to watch!

The casting was spot on. Everybody seemed to be doing a great job with their respective roles. Han Hyo Joo and Go Soo were adorable together! Amazing chemistry. I discovered Go Soo in this movie, and I think I'll stalk him a little after now :D

I cannot really focus on the music on movies unless something really stands out, in this case two songs stood out - Along Again by Gilbert O'Sullivan and the track that plays at the end of the movie (I LOVED that one). I don't recall anything else, which is good as well because it must have blended in well with the scenes :P

Absolutely worth rewatching! I'm so happy I have such movies to watch again with friends or even alone. A thoroughly enjoyable experience while watching the movie, it made me laugh, it made me smile, it made me wince, I might have even teared up a little once - in short, it touched my heart. I'd definitely recommend this to those who haven't seen it already!

Always
Dec 21, 2014
I really thought I'd think over every review aspect and then rate this movie but after watching it, every possible calculation has gone out of the window. I cannot give anything less than a 10 to any category. The movie surpassed any presumptions, any expectations I had before I began watching it. I could literally feel my heart swelling up with emotions while I was watching the film. I'm writing this with still-wet and puffy eyes, sniffling but smiling nonetheless.

The synopsis had me believing that there wouldn't be much alterations in the conventional storyline concerning a blind girl and a coconut-like guy. If I'm being honest, yes the basic story was pretty much by the book. Having said that though, I would like to clarify that, despite there being no creative and novel plot twists, this movie still managed to make me feel as if I was watching this scenario for the first time. The freshness and the warmth was unparalleled. I fell in love with the premise, the characters, their habits, everything! Even though this was not a novel concept, the story still deserves a perfect 10 for the way it was written and executed. It's one of the best depicted love stories I have ever seen.

Where do I even begin about the actors.. The female lead (this is the first time I've seen her work) was spectacular! She gave a praiseworthy natural performance, you'd have a hard time believing that she isn't blind in real. I can recall there is a scene where she shines the torchlight in her eyes, with the torch a mere inch or two away from her eyes and she doesn't show a spec of emotion on her face! Brilliant work. And So Ji Sub was a pure delight to watch, he came off as such an endearing and likable person, especially in all his efforts at redemption. The two have a very heartwarming chemistry as well, you feel all giddy and joyous just looking at the two of them.

The music stood out even though it was a movie and music rarely leaves a mark during films. But I loved the soundtracks used in this film, definitely added to the beauty of the story.

Even as I'm writing this review I want to watch the movie again :P This movie is definitely something I'll rewatch and make my friends watch too, it deserves to be seen. The bonds between the characters that are shown in the film are very memorable and you take them with you even after you finish watching it. You remember all the little details that touched your heart and make you feel good all over again.

I highly recommend this beautiful movie to everyone who wants to watch a movie that'll leave a fond memory :)

Marriage, Not Dating
Aug 24, 2014
Romantic Comedies are my favorite genre when it comes to Korean dramas or movies. I'm a sucker for a good romcom. Marriage, Not Dating did not disappoint me. Mainly because I didn't start it with much expectations. I'd never seen any of the actors' works before except for Yun Woo Jin, whom I saw in Arang and The Magistrate, and I can say it was a dark role and I couldn't really imagine him as a lead in a romcom. But the show is such a light breezy take on a veteran plot, you never feel as feel you're being dragged through something you've already seen a lot of times. A major plus point.

The story like I mentioned earlier is definitely not new. I've seen it quite a few times now. You basically know the story inside out even before you begin watching the show. Why watch this show then? Because it's a got a freshness that you will find rejuvenating. Granted, there are no major twists that you should be anticipating. What makes this drama good is the way the plot has been executed. You can think of it as a traditional dish that has been made with the same ingredients but has a different flavor. I hope I made sense there.

As far as the acting is concerned, I won't say I'm thoroughly impressed with the whole cast. Some performances did stand out. Yun Woo Jin surprised me the most and stood out far more than anyone else. The main reason for that could be that since I'd only seen him in a dark and gloomy role as a second lead, it was an eyebrow-raising and praiseworthy performance by him as the multi-faceted Gong Gi Tae. My thoughts about Han Groo are stuck in the grey area between like and dislike. In some of the scenes she did a brilliant job with her character, whereas in others it felt a little over the top. But I guess it's all a part of the package. There wasn't any actor/actress that I found unfit for their role. Just that nobody really stood out other than Yun Woo Jin. No negative marks here.

The music in this show was quite good. Quirky, peppy tracks are sprinkled throughout most of the episodes, and a couple of sad tracks dot the story here and there. I'd say the peppy tracks were pretty decent and easy on the ears. The mellow ones, though nice, didn't really leave an impact. Not really complaining.

Even though I enjoyed the drama very much, and looked forward to the next episodes, I'm in two minds about watching it again. Maybe that's because I just finished watching it. But either way, I wouldn't put it off the ReWatch list just yet. Maybe in a few months or an year or two perhaps. Although, I should mention it HAS got quite a bit of cute romantics scenes and real kisses you feel in your toes.

Overall, it was a good experience. I don't think I wasted any of my time with the show, that's a really good thing if you take into account that it basically took 16+ hours of my life to get to the show's end. And if I'm being honest, I think I really will miss the lead pair a little bit. They are those sort of characters, ones that grow on you and you don't even realize that until you find yourself missing them out of the blue. Well written characters, solid execution and no dragging at all. I'd take this RomCom without a second thought if I hadn't already seen it :P

My P.S. Partner
Jul 16, 2014
The last few movies I've seen have been of a totally different and somewhat more somber genre and somehow I found myself looking for something light when this refreshingly new synopsis caught my attention. Though I'm fairly new here and am just discovering the extents of the treasure that Korean Movies and dramas are, even I figured out that there are some things that are considered inappropriate or tabooed in the movies/shows here. This movie broke that mold for me. Completely shattered it :D

The story is really interesting, it was a very realistic concept and quite believable. I could definitely see references to real life here and there. It made the movie even more enjoyable. Hilarious dialogues, amusing scenes, pretty sexy phone conversations, and a really sweet and cute love story amidst it all. I loved the story!

The actors were quite natural I think. You love them instantly and feel connected to them. It was a really great work, enjoyed every single actor's performance!

Haha the music, when I think about the music all that comes to my mind is the outrageously vulgar yet lovable song that comes at the end, I'm going to call it 'The Panty Song'. Yes, that's exactly what I wrote, no typo :P There's a cleaner and awesome-r version of that song 'Show Me Your Heart' that Kim Ah Joong (I LOVED HER VOICE!) has sung. The music of that song is brilliant; the rest of the time, I was too engrossed in the movie to really notice the music so - sorry! :D

It'd be only right if I warned you about the sexual content in the movie, both verbal and visual. I never thought I'd have to write this for a Korean movie but this one is definitely for the adults. It's a really fun movie with excellent acting and an entertaining story to keep you occupied for the whole of 2 hours. You'll definitely feel refreshed after watching it. Recommended! :)

Daisy
Jul 15, 2014
I've never been happier while giving a perfect 10 in every field to a show or a movie. This movie is heartbreakingly beautiful. I'm still embarrassingly wiping my tears as I come to terms with the fact that the movie is really over.

Reading the synopsis, it felt like a slightly above average interesting adaptation of the same old love triangle. I wish I could travel back in time to two hours ago and smack my younger-self for thinking such a thing about this movie. I've never seen a more breathtaking execution of a veteran plot. The characters of the story were hauntingly realistic and believable. Love makes you do things you wouldn't normally do, we see the characters go through that very naturally.

When you watch this movie, you'll find yourself understanding the mind of an assassin who loves an innocent girl; you'll find yourself aching for the girl who's lost her voice and the man she loves; you'll find yourself wanting to believe there's got to be some good in the world. The story makes a warm spot in your heart and you find yourself so engrossed in it that you forget you're just a spectator. This is the sort of magic that made me love Korean cinema in the first place.

I cannot even begin to describe how awed I am by the performances in this movie. I've only seen Jung Woo Sung in A Moment To Remember before and I'd thought he was amazing, after watching this movie, I take it back. He not just amazing, he's absolutely brilliant. Jeon Ji Hyun doesn't cease to impress me. This is the 3rd work I've seen of hers and all have been great. Every body on the cast did such a spectacular job, definitely worth commending.

What do I say about the music of the film - it's stunning. The incorporation of Classical music into the movie was a touch of perfection to the masterpiece. I enjoy listening to Classical (I'm not into the technical aspect just the vibe and effect that the music has on me) and it was really nice to see the music being used so amazingly. It felt like the soul of the movie, when there weren't dialogues to convey the emotions, the music did the work. Perfect harmony.

If my ratings and the praises above aren't enough of an evident as to how much I loved this movie, then I don't know how else I should convince you to stop thinking and just watch the movie already. I am 100% sure that the moment you see the beautiful scenery and hear the lovely song playing in the background in the first few seconds of the film, you'll be hooked in and that hook is going to be painful to take out by the time the credits start to roll.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Don't hesitate one bit.

The Happy Life
Jul 8, 2014
It's been so long since I've watched a movie like this. I almost want to buy it! Now that's a sentiment I don't come across often. I cannot exactly explain what it was that really made me love this movie, but I'll try my best to lay out the reasons that come to my mind.

The story was pure magic. I loved every bit, every aspect of it. It was realistic, it had depth, it had emotions, it had a refreshing quality, and what more - it made sense! The characters were so real to life and lovable that it was hard not to root for them and hope they'd be happy in whatever they did. On the surface the band seems like such a misfit it's hilarious. A used-car seller, a delivery-guy-by-day-designated-driver-by-night dad who's living a shell of a life, an unemployed immature naive man who's barely getting by with his wife's money and a rebellious aloof son of a late-singer who was a friend of these other men. What do they have in common? A sense of loyalty towards each other and love for music. That's a stronger bond than any other if you ask me. We get to see how these men who've pretty much bummed out on every other area in their life raise their heads up and the rock the hell out of life with help from each other.

I would have clapped and bowed to the four lead actors if I could (done more than just clapping and bowing down to Jang Geun Suk but that's besides the point). They brought each character to life. It was as if the roles were written for them! Brilliant acting, I was really captivated. Jeong Jin Yeong as I'm discovering is a really versatile actor, he can pretty much do anything I guess! Kim Sang Ho was great and entertaining, did a really good job. Jang Geun Suk, ah, what do I say, I fall short of words now when it comes to praising him, I've pretty much said everything. But I should mention that this guy gave an absolutely wonderful performance in the movie. You only see him as the rebel rocker he is supposed to be, gone are the soft idol like traits. When you see these guys performing on stage or even just practicing, it is a rock band you see and not actors playing roles.

Music was AMAZING. The songs had a special unique quality that I've yet to come across in any other OST. Jang Geun Suk has sung the songs in a deep throaty voice to give it the rock feel and my my wasn't I a mushy puddle whenever he sang. The music is absolutely fantastic. The song Explosion is especially catchy.

Without a doubt a movie I'd watch again and even make my friends watch. It was endearing in every way possible, it's impossible not to love it. I would recommend this movie to everyone who wants to watch a lighter comedy that stays with you in your heart for a long time. It shows what friendship can get you through when you really need a support in life. It makes you love and cherish all the moments you get to spend with your friends while doing things you love. Makes you want to get as much out of life as possible before life throws all the megabombs at you. It teaches you that you should sty young at heart no matter what. Definitely good enough reasons to give the movie a watch! This is a first entry in my list that I've given straight 10s in all the fields, you might call me crazy but yes, I loved it that much.

Boy, even writing all this is making me want to watch it again right away :D

The Longest 24 Months
Jul 7, 2014
Since I'm not Korean it's a little difficult for me to understand how the enlistment in the army works out for Korean people. This movie seemed like a good way to have an insight into that with a different angle. I can understand how hard it must be and that's the reason I loved this movie because it made me understand that.

I really loved the story. I usually avoid multi-starrer casts because those plots tend to get a little crammed and messy. This plotline however was much smoother and cleaner which was a blessing. They could have interlinked and tangled up the characters in the movie but they kept the stories a little apart so that it didn't feel like it was too impractical. All the stories told depicted a different facet of what the 2 year long wait could mean for different people, and it was very honest. 2 years is a long time for people to change (for better or for worse) and the movie showed that really well.

The acting was good on all parts, the focus was more on portraying the emotions than on the dialogues, which was fine by me. I could focus on all the characters separately and no one overshadowed the other which usually happens in the multi-starrers.

Music took a back burner for me this time because I was too engrossed in the movie. Since one story is of a couple from a band, there were tid-bits here and there where I heard the music primarily but otherwise it didn't grab my attention. Which is okay I guess, it's better than to have bad music that distracts you from the movie.

Definitely one of the movies I can watch again, it tells a really good story and seems realistic enough for such a theme. I couldn't imagine what it'd be like if I was put in their position, it's a really brave thing they do. Waiting for someone for 2 years or telling them that you cannot wait requires equal amount of courage in my opinion.

As far as the movie is concerned, admittedly, the movie starts out a little slow but that's only because they're giving us a little time to settle in and grasp all the foundations they've laid out. It would have been worse if they'd rushed it. But to be honest the ratings for this movie shocked me, it's definitely worth more than a meager 6.6 rating. You should definitely try it! I absolutely recommend it! :)

Budapest Diary
Jul 5, 2014
I'm going to be unbiased about this one. I picked it up because it would give me 40 mins of uninterrupted Jang Geun Suk. It turned out to be more than just that.

The story initially left me a little confused to be honest. I couldn't really follow the turn of events and had to just go with the flow. The time line of the story confused for a few seconds too but I didn't care. Before I knew it, I was sucked in by the beauty of the city Geun Suk was exploring and it was almost as if I was there with him, feeling every emotion of awe as he went from place to place. I was flowing with the tide and it eventually reached the shore when everything finally made sense to me (maybe I'm just slow).

I've never seen a movie, even a short one, where there's just one actor who's supposed to carry the whole thing solo. I was a little apprehensive before I began watching the movie, worried if it'll prove to be too much for Geun Suk alone but boy was I wrong. His narrative, acting, emotions, expressions, everything were bang on target. Everything he did was so heartfelt you cannot help but reverberate them in your heart as well.

The music was really soothing and went well with the mood of the movie, had a different feel than most of the tracks I've heard in other dramas or movies. The instrumental playing during the credit role was especially lovely.

You can watch this movie for the stunning cinematography and brilliant acting by Jang Geun Suk. It's short, doesn't really put a load on your head and you end the movie with a warm buzz in your heart because the experience as a whole is beautiful.

Prime Minister and I
Jul 15, 2014
This drama had been on hold for me since quite a few weeks. I began watching it because I found the concept and setting interesting but somehow lost the interest in the mid of the first episode itself ( a bad move on my part) and was never able to go back to it again, until 2 days ago. I've marathoned it since and wasn't able to stop watching until I finished watching the finale 2 minutes ago.

The story of the drama in all honesty is nothing new. When you hear the synopsis you already know what's going to happen and how. Despite knowing the end and means, I was able to enjoy the drama thoroughly. The show impressed me with the fact that it didn't revolve around the love story of the leads. I was skeptically waiting for the episode where things would start to become melodramatic and the love story would begin to drag itself through the end, and that episode never came. Till the end, there wasn't a single point where I'd say that the story dragged itself. You learn so much from this show that it's shockingly surprising. It's more than just a comedy drama, you learn about relations, you learn about family and you learn about valuing things that are important in life. You learn to respect time.

The casting seemed a little awkward to me in the first couple of episodes. It was obvious that Lee Bum Soo was a little too older than YoonA to be cast opposite her. But somewhere along the line, I started to like that age gap. It gave more depth to their chemistry and respective stories. YoonA did a really great job in the drama, she seems to have improved a lot. And I think I'm going to watch other dramas and movies Lee Bum Soo has been in as well. The rest of the cast seemed to settle in their roles as he show progressed on, by the end of it, I had zero complains.

Music was acceptable. Complemented the scenes and situations well. Unfortunately none of the songs seemed to strike a chord in my heart and I couldn't find myself liking anything especially. An okay score nonetheless.

Watching this drama again would be something I'd do maybe in a couple of months or an year maybe. The things I learnt from the show are still fresh in my mind so I don't think I'd need to revisit it in the recent future at least. But it's not off the rewatch list.

I've seen dramas that have been brilliant throughout, dramas that began with a bang and ended with a poof, dramas that were great all along UNTIL the finale. This show comes somewhere in between the first and last category. I cannot say the finale was disappointing, neither can I say it was perfect. Although I understand the whole symbolism thing they had going on at the end, but it still felt as if it lacked that warm feeling. A well written finale but it could have been better. I almost feel like I baked a great cake but left out the cherry on top :P

I'd recommend this nevetheless! It's a good drama that's a little underrated, definitely worth giving a chance. It's my guarantee you won't feel as if you're wasting your time by watching it.

Arang and the Magistrate
Jul 29, 2014
This is the second historical drama I've picked up after Faith (which I saw about 8 months back). I really liked Faith but, let's be honest the direction and execution of that show was embarrassingly terrible. So it was only natural that I shied away from historical dramas after that. Arang and the Magistrate did two things for me - 1) Rebuild my opinion about historical dramas 2) Bring me out of my drama slump. Regardless of its short comings, I'm going to remember this drama for a long time.

The story of this show was the first thing that caught my attention and made me add the drama to my PTW list. Even the concept itself was novel for me. Once I began watching the show, I realized the dozens of different genres that were being incorporated could either make this the best show I've watched or completely destroy my taste for historical dramas. By the end of it, if not all the way, at least it managed to be one of the good shows I've seen. I read in the reviews that this show had a slow pace and it put me off a little thing it might be boring maybe. But it isn't. I admit, the story moves slowly and not all of the episodes will put you on the edge of your seat but that's fine. It's such a beautifully woven story that you don't notice the slow pace, not as much as you normally would.

The premise of the story itself is ethereally breathtaking. You are taken on such an amazing journey in the show that shows you every aspect of life. The characters in the story are so real and human that you cannot help but relate to them and their dilemmas. Brilliant work on the writers' part.

As I mentioned before the story was what brought me to Arang and The Magistrate, not the star power of Lee Joon Gi or Shin Min Ah, I've never even seen any of their work before. A huge loss on my part since I've been missing out on some phenomenal acting. I can now understand what all the hype surrounding them is about. The chemistry between the two literally oozes out of the screen. And god the fight scnes of Lee Joon Gi! That man has some serious appeal. The rest of the cast did a spectacular job! I enjoyed EVERY single actor's part. The gods, Moo Young, the three officers, Dol Sae, Bang Woori, the mother/Moo Yeon. Fantastic cast, absolutely perfect for each role.

The music was simply magical. Every background score suited the scenes and brought it to life. The songs were great, the feel of the music was spot-on. A special mention to the rap that is played during most of the fight scenes - bloody mind blowing track!

The main thing that keeps you hooked into the drama is the intrigue. The show's got a brilliant style of mystery and suspense that keeps you guessing and craving for more. But as is the case with such dramas, once the mystery is solved, it's hard to watch it again. It's a beautiful story and I loved it but it will be difficult watching it again.

A note to everyone who's jumping in thinking this is a romantic drama - it isn't. It's got that element somewhere interwoven with the other themes but it's not primarily a romantic drama, there's tonnes of other stuff happening. But that doesn't mean there's a dry dish being served to you in the name of love. You get your fair share of romantic scenes and sweet love that's enough to make you sigh but not wiggle in your chair :P

I highly recommend this drama to anyone who's interested in watching a show that serves a dish with every ingredient added right, albeit one that cooks a little slowly. But is worth the patience.

A Werewolf Boy
Jul 16, 2014
I saw the movie purely on the basis of the reviews and ratings. I've never seen any of the lead actors' works before so this wasn't one of those shows or movies that I saw because of a star. And I don't think I'll think of them as actors when I reminisce about this movie in a while, I'll think about them as Soo Ni and Cheol Soo. The supernatural genre of the movie was putting me off a little while I contemplated whether I should watch this or not, as there were a million ways it could go wrong (Exhibit A - Twilight Saga), but I'm happy to say that this movie was one of the best supernatural films I've ever seen. In any language.

You'd think this was a romance between a werewolf and a human, I thought that too. But this movie taught me once and for all that I should never judge a book by it's cover. The love that two people share doesn't always have to be romantic. The bond that was shown between the leads is beautiful in every aspect. I wouldn't say the story of the movie is exactly anything special, no; but the way it was written, the execution, it was heart wrenching.

The actors who've played the leads were probably made for doing these roles, they were that good. Song Joong Ki (I've honestly never seen his work before, which was good in a way, I want to remember him as Cheol Soo) was fantastic. It's indescribable how his performance effected me. I don't mean it as an insult but I was reminded of my pet dog (I love him more than anything in this world, so it's a compliment in a warped way). After watching the movie I can finally understand what all the fuss about Park Bo Young was. She's brilliant. The supporting cast did a great job too.

Like I said before, for me, this wasn't a romantic tale. It went deeper than that. I was reminded of all the unconditional love that is not a myth. You can witness this love every time you come home and find your dog waiting for you, you can feel this love every time you scold your dog but he still wags his tail excitedly when you pet him. Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way implying that Soo Yi treated Cheol Soo as a pet, not in the literal sense of the word. They were companions who made each other's lives better without asking for anything in return. I refuse to label it as a romance. It just reminded me of the love I felt for my dog, and me saying this is the highest level of appraisal I can give.

You don't have to agree with my opinion of what this movie was, but you definitely need to watch this movie to find out what it meant for you. Although I'm sure that you'll love it either way. I wouldn't bawl my eyes out and almost choke myself crying if it wasn't worth it.