• Last Online: 1 day ago

In Hand japanese drama review
In Hand
by Luly
Dec 18, 2019
Before I begin, I should note that I haven't read the manga this is based on, so my review will focus solely on the drama.

The premise of this one is centered, like the description says, on scientific and medical cases, mostly based on parasites, illnesses, viruses, etc. Still, I'd say this is a blend of a medical drama with a detective drama, in which every case is, most often than not, a single-episode development, but with different threads setting throughout it to expand on character development, motives and an ultimate case. You know, like detective dramas.

However, the tone is very well balanced between comedy, drama, action and suspense. There is always a hint of humor that breathes life into the storyline and gives it a less heavy tone than you'd expect from the premise. The three lead characters are, in essence, imperfect and complex.

Yamapi's Himokura is a socially incompetent parasite-otaku who happens to be extremely talented in his field but is also incredibly reckless. Hamada Gaku's Takaie is a confused and heartfelt assistant who is trying to do his best. Nanao's Makino is a strong-willed lady from the Cabinet Secretariat who doesn't take no for an answer.

At the same time, Himokura has a past marked with grief and with the motives that led to the loss of his hand, which is developed throughout the series. Takaie is a doctor who is willing to put himself in risk to save lives. Makino is a single mother working to fight for credibility and respect in a male-dominated area.

There are different layers in the characters and in the drama itself, which I feel are balanced really well and create an entertaining story that keeps you wanting to see what will happen next. It happens often, in these kinds of dramas with the "one case at a time" format, that they lose humor or emotional impact at some point, or tend to focus on one more than the other, but this series does it well.

You get cartoon drawings explaining how a virus works when inside the human body (which is great to soften the subject matter for those who may find that aspect hard to watch) and then minutes later you're faced with a philosophical debate on the value of human life or the moral repercussions of revenge. And the cast is able to keep up with that.

My pleasant surprise on this one was Matsushita Yuya, I feel like I hadn't seen him in a while and I don't get why, he's SO good. He had such good chemistry with Yamapi and they worked super well together in the episodes where they shared the screen.

Also, the production level on this, that was unexpectedly good. Lots of adorable animals in it, which is always a plus for me.

I recommend this one to people who enjoy detective dramas and medical dramas but are looking for something that takes it with humor and fun, without leaving out complex storylines and philosophical debates.