• Location: Philippines

ilovekingbob

Philippines
My Special Dad
There goes my weekday afternoon good vibes~ T.T<3
It aimed to inspire and raise awareness and it definitely delivered.
Although there were times when the kontrabida Via's angry tirades got a little too annoying, she wasn't on screen that often enough to drive me away. And she learned her lesson in the end in a way that felt believable.

I am so glad that Carol and Aubrey were allowed to settle their differences in a mature way.
Aubrey’s character growth is one of the best I’ve seen on local TV.
BoBrey’s chemistry is undeniable.
And every supporting character played to their roles effectively.

I am already genuinely missing this show... <3

Dropped 1/1
Dragon Lady
Dropped 0
Nakakapagod din palang manood ng palabas kung saan ang salbahe eh salbahe lang talaga. Yung wala nang kawawaan yung galit at pagiging bayolente nila. Maganda ang simula. Gustong-gusto ko ang konsepto. Pero lunod na lunod na ako sa mga ganitong klaseng kontrabida.

I like villains who are smart, who actually think about their next step. And it just hurts me to see so much mindless anger in someone so young (looking at you, Astrid).

So, I am dropping this show. I might come back to it someday. Maybe. There's so many better shows to check out first. :(
Onanay
Mar 18, 2019
I really loved Onay's story and admired her courage and resilience in the face of Helena's persistent (and annoyingly repetitive) efforts to ruin her life. She is an inspiration, not just to little people, but to everyone who, despite having to deal with defeat, loss, and abuse, still choose to stand their ground and keep fighting.

I also liked how she grew from a hardhearted mother burdened by her past into a warm and loving single parent, who would do anything to ensure her children's safety. And this is thanks to a very effective support system and a loving daughter who never once gave up on her.

I am glad that despite the sometimes over-the-top cat fights --mostly from the younger casts-- the series' primary message did not get completely lost. And that in the end Onay's forgiveness did not come easy - that it allowed her ample time to process everything that has happened before deciding on the best response to a repenting man's apologies and declaration of love.

That scene when it all fell apart for Lucas and Onay was one of the most powerful scenes in this series.

Another one was that of Nanay Nelia grieving over her brother. And that of Natalie and Maila pouring out their hearts and souls in a fiery exchange of dialogue when their mother flat-lined at one point.

Even Helena's fall from grace managed to tug at my heartstrings. Such convincing and heartbreaking performances from such a talented ensemble~!

However, I really hated that the climax felt a little anti-climactic, allowing an already irredeemable villain to redeem herself and in the process rendering a very significant character utterly useless. With everything she's done, and after showing no signs of ever changing her ways to the very end, Helena should've been put in prison, not martyred on a bridge.

Mikee Quintos, who played Maila, should win an award for having been kidnapped the most number of times in a single series. ^^

Also, I was so glad that they took the object of Natalie and Maila's rivalry out of the equation before he could completely ruin a promising story. Haven't we had enough of sisters fighting over a guy like he's suddenly the only guy left in the entire universe? It's been so overdone that it has become a nuisance for me. xp

I admire Aling Soling's loyalty. I could not say the same about Helena's supposed best friend whose idea of friendship is quietly condoning her friend's evil schemes, then leaving said friend hanging high and dry when shit starts hitting the fan. I hate Helena, but I hate a spineless friend even more.

This series definitely had its good moments, its better moments, its best moments. And although it did occasionally grate at my nerves with its exaggerated melodrama, I loved that it still managed to wrap itself up quite beautifully in the end. ♥

My Spouse, My Rival
Mar 3, 2019
I had a lot of feelings for this series, most of them leaning on the negative. I guess this is what the writers had intended to do after all - to create an afternoon melodrama that exaggerates on the evil, the madness and the rivalry at the expense of losing the message it has initially set out to impart.

While I admired the way they introduced Nathan's character - a female identity trapped in a male body with all of her angsts and selfish flaws, her jealousy and angry outbursts very quickly became so nauseatingly over-the-top, I often wondered why I even thought she was going to be an interesting character in the first place. That she was actually going to learn and grow and develop into a better version of herself in the course of this show - or if not, then be punished accordingly for all of her wrongdoings.

However, it soon became apparent that "Asawa Ko, Karibal Ko" was not a story about a transgender woman's journey towards freedom and acceptance, nor was it the tale of a selfish person's eventual downfall regardless of her sexuality. Instead, it was just your generic tale of rivalry rife with violence between two women - always initiated by Nathan/Venus - over a male character that I honestly did not find interesting enough to fight for. He's mostly just there so that Venus would continue to have reasons to provoke Rachel over and over. In the long run, Venus' mindless outrage just got really annoying, I wondered why she weren't locked up in a mental institution yet.

And when Venus did change and realized the error of her ways, it felt forced and was already too little too late (you expect me to have sympathy for her now, seriously?!). It did not come as a result of anything other than the fact that the series was about to end. This was never her story. This was never Rachel's story. This was never anybody's story. Because whatever interesting plot, message, and character representation this series intended to have were already long gone before it could even begin to back up whatever valid point it was trying to make.

I wanted so bad to love this show. But it did everything it could to be hatefully stereotypical at each turn. I wish somebody would (re)do this kind of story in a more sensible and relatable way. One that does not just focus on a violent rivalry, but also on the actual growth of its characters.