• Location: Hawaii, USA

Kimberly

Hawaii, USA
The Flame's Daughter
Apr 9, 2018
I told myself, I would not watch dramas WHILE they air because I HATE waiting for subs, and I like to binge. WELL, when there’s a new show with a very familiar cast, I can’t help it. Many of the actors in this drama have starred in 10MPB (Yang Mi, Mark Chao). Not sure if they’re ALL under Yang Mi’s agency, however we see similar faces.

Story: Beware; some of the synopses around the internet are a bit off from what the drama is really about. The plot is developed pretty well (although there are a few holes, here and there). The plot is intricate, and at some points left me 2nd guessing what I would predict would happen (I like that, because it mean it doesn’t FOLLOW the basic C-Drama line). Anyways, just be prepared for plot twists.

Acting/Cast: I don’t speak Chinese, so I cannot comment on whether I think their speaking is on point. However, I feel most of the acting was genuine and sincere. I cried with some of the characters, and smiled at all the lovey dovey scenes. The kissing on this drama, is pretttttty “MEH.” The drama was well casted and everyone seemed to have harmony. I like the supporting roles and support love lines. I also liked how bad ass all the female characters were! Not all of them were weak women that needed “saving.” Even Feng Huang, no martial arts skills, was pretty bad ass and so strong of a character that Lei Jing Hong got his sh*t together! I also wanted to note that Dilraba and Vin Zhang's acting has gotten so much better than the King's Woman!

Music: Very catchy theme songs and ending theme song. The ending song is sang by Dilraba. It sounds so nice to the ears, I would download it if I could.
Rewatch Value: I’d definitely add this to watch again list. I think it’s a pretty overall great drama. Cinematography is great, the landscape and scenes are beautiful. I liked the courtyards in Liehuo Manor. I.e. Maple had all the maple trees, Plum courtyard had all the plum blossoms, etc.

The New Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre
Dec 14, 2017
This is one of my favorite adaptions of Heaven Sword, Dragon Sabre. Although it's an older version, the fight scenes are awesome and the cast is great! Tony Leung does awesome as Cheung Mo Gai. Because CMG grows up away from society, in the beginning he's easily swayed by people and gets taken advantage of. He's kind of "dumb" like how Kwok Jing is in LOCH (If Felix didn't land that role in 1983, I'd suggest Tony lol). We also have Maggie Shiu as Siu Chiu and Kitty Lai as Princess Chiu Min and then Sheren Tang coming in with the female antagonist.

*Note: I watched Alec Su's version before this one, my mom told me this was one of the original ones that TVB made, so I ended up watching this one. I just liked the cast better, because I grew up watching these ladies and gentleman in these dramas.

If I had the availability to, I'd rewatch it over and over. I'd also watch it in order from LOCH, ROCH to HSDS. :)

Feb 28, 2018
WOW! I was one of those that when I first heard of this drama, I was thinking "Oh heck no, I would NEVER watch this." I LOVED Nirvana in Fire 1, it was different from other dramas in terms of schematics and revenge. After I started watching NIF2, I was like WOW!!! It took a while to recall characters from part one, and figure out who is who, but after you do it's a really great drama. The storyline and plot moves well, and doesn't drag. The writers did a really great job with this sequel. Although you do not need to watch the first one (you should anyway lol) to follow this drama, it's nice seeing all the easter eggs and cameos/mentions from NIF1.

The thing that makes NIF and NIF2 so captivating is the writing. Usually when I'm watching dramas, I can GUESS what will happen. I could't ALWAYS guess what the outcomes would be. For example, I thought Ting Sheng just had a evil face and would have thought he WOULD take advantage of the emperor(s). But I was sooooo wrong!

Cast: I'm not familiar with any of the actors in this drama (that's why I didn't want to watch it lol), but everyone did a great job. Liu Hao Ran came through shining, his was BLAH in the beginning but he did great in here. I'm surprised. Huang Xiao Ming also was fantastic. The supporting cast also did well, and I really enjoyed watching all the supporting cast as their characters develop.

Overall, great drama. I'd definitely watch this again! Drop some easter eggs in the spoilers if you caught any!

Can't Buy Me Love
Feb 2, 2018
Watch "Beyond the Realm of Conscience" before this drama. When I first watched this drama, I didn't realize that it was a direct parody of it. The cast is almost very similar, as are the sets and costumes.

This is a comedy, it's light hearted and very hilarious. You also see growth in compatibility between our two leads Charmaine and Moses (so unlikely to be together at first!). I'd recommend it because it's funny and cheesy.  Currently available on Drama Fever 02/01/18
Xi Die Yuan Yang
Apr 19, 2018
Wow! Nice follow up to the first part “Cuo Dian Yuan Yang.” I definitely suggest watching the first part, but it’s not necessarily needed. This drama picks up right after the last one. Su Huan Er gets caught in the middle of a human trafficking den (no idea why, but totally her to have these antics). This drama focuses on the two younger brothers Wu Hen and Wu Jie’s love life, and the brothers trying to make their business more successful but they keep getting hindered multiple times throughout the drama, and in the end figures out the true killer of their father and Su Guang Ping (Huan Er’s father).

The entire plot/story ends on a happy note. I’m glad that even the “side” bad guy Murong Fu ends up turning into a good guy, and appreciates the girl that is by his side. Everyone gets happy endings at the end. I wish they would do a scene like fast forward to the next year, and they all got babies ^_^.

Han Dong (Wu Hen) is great here. I felt his pain when Liang Yu Shi was thought to be dead, and his anger with his family and enemy for killing her. Gosh the torment was painful. He has an ugly cry, but I felt his acting was so on point. Guo Dong Dong (Wu Jie) is also a great actor. His character is very stubborn, yet rash and naïve. He’s very loyal to his love interest Qin Qiu Yu, even though she’s a courtesan (considered lowly back then) but still pushes his limits. I think he’s a cute actor, and did great.

Wu Ji (Qi Ji) and Huan Er (Zanilia) are still my favorites. I love how Huan Er is suppose to be the main mistress of the household, but she still gets into a lot of trouble. Even when her long-lost brother comes back and plots again the Shi family, she unknowingly lets him in and he steals the deed for the land.
Overall great series, I’d watch this again. P.S. Just like the first season, the kissing scenes in here are AWESOME for kissing scenes in c-dramas, they’re using tons of lip and tongue. Teehee.

The Eternal Love
Dec 14, 2017
This was a cute drama, and the ending was satisfactory to me.

Plot/Story: The story and plot was interesting. From the beginning we only know that Qu Tan'er tried to commit suicide when her love the 1st prince is married to her sister. From that point, she has amnesia, not realizing it's because there is another "person" (Qu Xiao Tan) sharing her body and when it's their turn to "sleep" they do not have any memory of what the other person has done/said.  The plot/story was enough to keep me watching, so that I can find out WHY Xiao Tan suddenly was sent to this world.

Qu Tan'er is a noble lady. She's soft-spoken and very polite, but also intelligent.
Qu Xiao Tan is from the modern world and is a real-estate agent, at times she seems selfish and narcissistic, blunt and loud. She's also quite intelligent, and makes a lot of modern day references especially to movies, "Avatar, Matrix and Avengers."

Acting: I was only familiar with one cast member and that was Xing Zhao Ling, whom played the 8th prince (main male lead). The rest of the cast I was not familiar with. Liang Jie does a great job switching between both Qu Tan'er and Qu Xiao Tan, going from subtle to loud and crass. Xing Zhao Ling also does a great job as playing pretty boy that is arrogant, but sometimes caring. He has a really pretty face. His role was almost like YWY from Princess Agent, which he also starred in along Kenny Lin. Overall, I thought the cast did a great job.

I'd rewatch this drama because it was moved pretty fast, kept on point, had enough "drama" to keep me interested, and it's pretty short.

*I'll post spoilers in my comment below. So please go to the comments and expand if you'd like.

Railroad Tigers
Dec 26, 2018
I love me some Jackie Chan movies, and especially now that there is such amazing advances in technology. The cinematography in this drama is captivating. The movie is set during the time Japan is taking over a lot of Asia. Thank goodness this drama is not as gory as other movies I've seen set during the same time. Jackie has his own little gang of train robbers, and they happen to rescue a Chinese soldier, who tells them about his last (suicide) mission. The gang takes into their hands to help the Chinese fulfill their mission (you know patriotism!!). They do crazy antics like trying to rob C4 from a Japanese military base, and totally F#@$ the train in order to fulfill the mission.

I really love the cast in this drama. They did a great job casting, I thought the actors were so diverse (they all weren't pretty/kawaii, but there is a lot of eye candy). I also though the chemistry between all the actors was amazing. I bet it must have been amazing for all the young actors to work with Jackie. :D

Overall, great movie. The plot was great and interesting, the acting was good. There was a nice balance between seriousness & comedy. Also the fighting scenes were pretty intense, even with them using guns and a tank ON A TRAIN!!! The CGI at the end was sucky, but that was my only complaint.

Legend of Lu Zhen
Jun 6, 2018
Wow, what a long but awesome drama! I love Zanilia in here, her acting is very versatile and this drama shows true range in her abilities (she’s not a zombie w/ no emotions).

This drama was addictive from beginning, but the last three episodes had me like MEH. Anyways, the store is about Lu Zhen who is her father’s first daughter, but is mistreated by her step mother. Her skills in helping the family business, makes her step mother & uncle jealous so they plot against her to get rid of her. While on the run, she bumps into Prince Gao Zhan, who’s stepmom is ALSO plotting against him he is the emperor’s favorite son. Both of them lose their fathers, and is framed for killing their father. However, Gao Zhan is able to find evidence he is not responsible, but by then his brother had already been thrust onto the throne. Their journey, is Lu Zhen working her way up from a palace maid to become a 6th rank official, to re-address her father’s murder and seek justice (and mishaps along the way).

This drama had so much romance and lovey-dovey between Lu Zhen and Gao Zhan. Both actors were fantastic, and had great chemistry. I haven’t seen Zanilia in another drama because CDYY that is THIS lovey-dovey, and the two leads match and look cute together. The ending was a happy ending. My only gripe is how many times they have a falling out, relationships right? I do love how faithful Gao Zhan and Lu Zhen were to one another. Gao Zhan rejected so many ladies for her.

The bad guys in here are endless. The Empress Dowager (Gao Zhan’s step mom) is such a evil bee-yotch. The whole time she’s blaming Gao Zhan and Xiao Huanyun for her son Gao Yan’s downfall/demise, but it was her own!!! Shen Ah Bi, is also another ruthless, mean girl but got bit by karma in the end. She was a hopeless romantic for Gao Zhan, but he already had someone else on his mind.

The side characters are so cute. I love Dan Niang, as she loves to EAT. She’s a cute character, wish she had a better ending for herself.

Overall, great drama. It’s not historically accurate. I looked up both Gao Zhan and Lu Zhen’s character, and in real life they were bad guys!

The Legend of Zu
May 16, 2018
I am not a 100% where to stand on this drama. The storylines are very convoluted. There seems to be TOO much at times, now that I’m thinking about it. I liked some parts, but other parts seemed unnecessary. I wanted to fast forward and get all the scenes of Zanilia and William Chan together, but then I would have missed a lot. A lot of the scenes of them together were heart breaking, there wasn’t ever a part where they BOTH accepted each other’s love, it was either, one was wanting more and the other one was hesitant. BOO. I thought the other love lines (or arcs) were so sad too, almost no one ends up together.

Cast is really good though, probably because Cecilia and Nicky Wu had hook ups as they were producing this drama? We got Nicky on the cast, Zanilia Zhao, William Chan, Gao Vengo is in here for a quite a bit. I’m not really familiar with the other female actors, but they were cute.

This drama was so lengthy, I most likely would not watch it again. I would recommend watching this if you like Zanilia which is what I’ve been doing lol.

Cuo Dian Yuan Yang
Apr 13, 2018
Wow. I stumbled upon this drama by mistake and it turned out to be a good one!

The first part revolves around Su Huan Er/Yang Yi Liu. YYL is also a daughter of the Su Manor but because her mother ran away and left her behind as a newborn, her father and his family treats her like shit. Su Huan Er and her mom (Yu Niang) pretty much are her own family. When Shi Wu Ji and his brothers from Ao Long Bao find clues leading to the demise of their family, back to Su Manor they announce an engagement and request Huan Er. However, Huan Er doesn't want to be forced so she runs away and falls off a cliff. YYL takes her place and the drama continues, but does she fulfill her father's wishes or becomes a good wife?

This drama is cute. The acting, cast, plot is very enjoyable. I liked the romance between our two leads. The moments before they fall in love is adorable and quite comedic. Huan Er/YYL and Shi Wu Ji are just so cute together, and such relationship goals. They both love each other, wholeheartedly and even sacrifice their happiness at times than admit their feelings are hurt. Their love gave me such anxiety because of their fights, and how they would push each other away when you know they both love and yearn for one another.

I also like the whole being filial vs finding your own happiness, that Huan Er goes through. It really makes you think about what female lead should do.

Overall the ending is good with most of our characters finding true love. And in the end Shi Wu Ji finds out there's another's killer on the lose, and I assume it'll be part two when they find out who it is.

The Confidant
Jan 31, 2018
OMG. this series is currently on DramaFever, and it's is good.

First Impression (judging from cast/drama cover): I thought the cast would be too old to make this drama interesting. BOY, was I wrong!

Final Impression: I love this drama. I like the acting from our leads. I love the smaller plot lines. I watch a lot of historical dramas, and this one was pretty accurate from my research. I love the themes they introduce into this drama, some we've never seen before especially that dives into the lives of maids and eunuchs. Usually, I like to steer away from those dramas because eunuchs are always depicted as the old, creepy, scary, and manipulative guy (there's one of those in here though). But this one introduces brotherhood, love, loyalty, and friendship between our eunuch friends.

Story: This is based around the lives of famous Eunuch Li Ling Ying (Wayne Lai), and his friends and his relationship w/ Empress Dowager Cixi. They go through many "arcs" in here (I won't spoil it) but it's very accurate to history. As mentioned, I love that they introduce that eunuchs can take wives in here. There are three storylines involving our Eunuch friends that you can't help but to watch and "ship" the eunuchs with their respective lovers.

Acting/Cast: Was superb for all our leads and guests. Although I do not speak Cantonese, I can't judge if their speaking is great, but I really felt the emotion. Michelle Yim is a great Cixi and has such a stern, resting bitch face. I legit HATED her throughout the drama, but at the end I realized she wasn't THAT evil. Lol. I love Power Chan in here, he was a hateful character, but turned good and I just loved him from beginning to end. He and Wayne Lai are perfect buddies in this drama. I also loved Raymond Choi as An De Hai, Li Ying's bestie/bro. His character had a lot of development, and at times you're unsure of what side of the fence he is on. But that's what made this series so great, the character development and the outcome.

Overall, I'd watch this again and I'd suggest this for anyone looking for a historically accurate drama, with HK drama written into it.

Beyond the Realm of Conscience
Dec 14, 2017
This is a great drama. The plot/story is not that intricate, but will leave you on edge. The themes you'll see in this are love (of course), betrayal, jealousy, fate, and friendships.

Charmaine (Sam Ho) and Tavia (Kam Ling) are besties, but as they grow up rivalry to excel in the imperial household (basically they are "maids" that are in charge of creating clothing and jewelry for the Harem), grows between them. Sam Ho is naturally kind and caring. Her mother was once a worker of the imperial household, and was considered one of their top jewelers, however due to a mystery she is executed for creating faulty jewelry. Kam Ling is raised along Sam Ho, but her ethics and moral are slightly different from Sam Ho and doesn't follow the teachings that Sam Ho's mother left behind for the two girls before she dies. Kam Ling eventually schemes her way to being  a concubine, but cannot give up the fact that Sam Ho's kindness has "touched" many people including the emperor, so she consistently goes out of her way to "get her."

I thought this drama was done quite well. The costumes are beautiful, as well as the jewelry pieces. I also thought both leading actresses were great. Tavia is such a great evil b*tch! Charmaine can be kind of dull, but I thought she looked great in here.  Kevin Cheng adds on the extra eye-candy for this drama ;)

Princess Agents
Nov 13, 2017
Story: This drama did NOT do it's job, and left us seriously hanging. There were way too many unanswered questions.
Acting: I thought all the actors did a great job, and the transition and character growthw as great.
Music: I watched on Viki and they subbed the songs. I thought the songs were great and fit each scene beautifully.
Rewatch Value: MEHHHH, If I'm bored and want to see Kenny Lin or Shawn Dou, yea.

The ending as many have wrote about, SUCKS. I did enjoy the build up but the latter part of this drama did not live up to the hype. I was hoping so much for Chu Qiao and Yuwen Yue but nothing came of it, and she ended up figuring out she liked him on the last episode (yikes). I did like the beginning of the series and seeing everyone's relationship and them being playful and funny. I never thought that this series would take such a dark turn. This drama is also one of the MOST violent dramas I've ever seen. The opening scene is literally guys hunting slave girls for fun.

I'd only watch this if you want to check out hotties, since this drama included many of them even the some of the antagonistic characters and side characters.

Eternal Love
Oct 29, 2017
I can't stop watching this. The music is beautiful, the set/scenery is beautiful, the acting is phenomenal, and the story is captivating.  The love stories in this drama are so touching, I shed a few tears watching this. I loved the main leads, Bai Quan and Ye Hua eventually finding each other is so touching. I also loved the little side love story involving Feng Jui and Dong Ha.

I also love how interwoven the cast is, I love how some scenes are so comical and some just make you melt. Defintely a great drama.

The story follows Bai Qian, who is part of the Fox tribe (they have a strong hold amongst the immortal clans), who is quite a naughty youngster, that her family friend, High Immortal Zhe Yan, sends her to Kun Lun to learn martial arts and good behavior from High Immortal Mo Yuan (also played by Mark Chao). Bai Qian is then transformed into a young male fox diety, Si Yin.  There are quite a few "love" plots that follow Bai Qian/Si Yin. Most end up over, until Bai Qian goes through her heavenly trial to learn the trials and tribulations of becoming human, she turns to SuSu. SuSu meets Ye Hua, the imperial grandson and crown prince of Heavenly Lord's tribe. Their love proves time and time again, that they're meant to be. I think it's cute because Bai Qian originally met Ye Hua but he was in the form of a golden lotus growing in Kunlun mountains, so it's like "fate" wants them to be together, but they always almost "misses" each other.

Female Assassins in the Palace
Oct 29, 2017
There are not a lot of reviews for this drama. When I first watched this series, I dropped it because so many other dramas were on Drama Fever that were more interesting (to me). Anyways, I literally watched ALL the historical/costume Chinese dramas on DF, so this one was the last one I ended up watching.

It's actually a very good drama, it is intense, filled with mystery, drama, and love triangles (or square). Basically the drama involves a treasure map in which the Qing Royal Family were all fighting for in the beginning, but was later reclaimed by Yun Xiang (Yongzhen's brother) and kept in imperial court. A lot of royal members of the family ended up being persecuted for being involved with the treasure hunt. A lady named Mo Yun (Leader of Assassins), helped Yun Xiang retrieve the map from the other members of the imperial family, but in the end gets betrayed by Yun Xiang. 20 years later, she comes back seeking revenge with the help of a mystery person (later revealed at the end, BIG plot twist). The 2nd generation ends up helping their parents figure out the mystery of the map, and the assassins that are killing officials.

The mystery was amazing. It was pretty easy to guess who the hairpin killers turned out to be (two of them shocked me). But figuring out the ultimate mastermind and the big plot twist at the end was also intense. Kent Tong just has the look of a bad guy!

The love aspect was so cute. Ciadie and Batu, who literally hated each other in the beginning, ended up getting betrothed to each other (due to a childhood promise) and still hated each other, faked their marriage, but later fell in love with each other. Their scenes were cute, and I loved their interactions. Batu of course has MANY suitors including both of Ciadie's sisters, and this causes a lot of strain on Ciadie's relationships w/ her sisters Duan Min and Guo Xin.

** I've read on many forums and on Drama Fever that a lot of people hated Ady's acting because she was whiny, but I didn't think she was whiny or annoying. She is suppose to play a young, spoiled and immature lady.

I'd rewatch again. Steven Jiang rocks in this drama.