• Location: England

mecchaumai

England
Tsumi to Batsu: A Falsified Romance
Jun 4, 2014
When I started out watching this drama I actually really liked it. The story was gripping, most of the acting was good and it was from the perspective of the criminal which is the type I enjoy most (as I find the psychology behind it really interesting).

However, that being said, after the first two episodes I think the story became a little bit lacking. This drama became way too long and could have been completed in about 4 episodes with the same amount of substance and effect. It seemed to me that most of the scenes had become 'fillers' rather than taking the story further. This is the reason I've given it such a low score (whereas up to the end of the second episode I would have given it a strong 7).

That being said, the main storyline is interesting for fans of the psychological genre. If not for the main character, for the character 'Baba Hikaru'. I think that the story could have benefited from delving even more into the psychology of her actions.

I think that the music was the best part of this drama. A lot of dramas often over or underuse suspenseful music, whereas this drama seemed to me to have just the right amount.

It won't be a drama that I rewatch anytime soon but it's okay for those people that don't watch many dramas of this genre.

Black Revenge
Jul 28, 2018
As the title suggests, this is a drama that is based on revenge. The theme runs constantly through the show and even turns up in places you wouldn't expect it. I enjoyed that aspect on it. I am somebody who tries not to take revenge although I enjoy stories set around the whole 'karma' or 'an eye for an eye' mantra.

The first half of the show was faced paced and interesting. While it had an overall plot, it also had elements of an episodic drama to it, each episode seeming to introduce a new character and their involvement. This kept the drama interesting and varied while also progressing the overall story. However, after the first half the drama slowed down. While there was enough going on in each episode to keep me interested, the drama lost it's quick pace appeal and dragged the remaining story, that I believe could have been told in 3 episodes, to 5 episodes. Therefore it lost plot marks. If there had been slightly more to it, or it had been cut down, it would have been much more enjoyable in my mind. That isn't to say that the story that WAS being told was not interesting, however.

Another bad point about the plot was that there were some elements of the show that kind of just happened without the drama going into details of the effect of those actions, making it at times feel a little anticlimactic.

Despite the story slowing down, the plot was well thought out and had a lot of substance to it. I would enjoy another drama around this theme.

The cast was all round excellent. It was nice to see Sato Jiro in something more than the guest or supporting role I usually see him in. The women in the show all did an excellent job of producing complex, individual, and interesting characters.

Would I watch it again? Probably not, at least not for a good few years, but that's mostly based on the fact that it has lost it's appeal now that I know the ending of it.
Am I glad I watched it? Yes, I probably would recommend it.

Recommend to fans of mystery, complex stories, and strong or interesting women characters.

Garasu no Ashi
Jun 29, 2018
WOW.

I was going to drop this drama after the first episode as I wasn't quite hooked. However I'm sooooo glad I didn't. If you are in the same boat as me, try the next episode at least.

The drama is very dark and touches on quite a few topics that could be touchy to some people, but rest assured that the drama is more about the effects of those topics rather than using them for their shock value.

The storyline, acting, and music are all excellent and it has left me with a lasting impression after I've finished it. There are multiple ways to interpret the ending and the character's feelings are also sometimes ambiguous, yet real.

I would not recommend this to anyone who prefers lighthearted dramas, but if you are looking for something that makes you think, that might make you cry, and that covers darker topics, then I'd definitely say give it a try. Avoid if you are affected by violence.

Konya wa kokoro dake daite
Jun 6, 2014
When I (and I'm sure it's the same for most other people) read the synopsis, the first thing that came to my mind was 'Freaky Friday'. It's a story that I can't help but love so I decided to watch it.

I did enjoy the storyline (for the most part) of this drama. It shows two women trying to adapt to live as the other and shows clearly the generation gap between them. Apart from the main 'body switch' storyline, this could be classed as a life drama, showing the struggles of family and love life and I think that even if 'body switch' doesn't appeal to you, the real life struggles of the family seem very believable and I would recommend it to people who are interested in family dramas. I knocked a couple of points off, however, due to the fact that it used a big drama cliche (which I won't describe here but just be prepared to face palm).

There was obviously a lot of work put in for the actresses to be able to portray thoroughly someone from a different generation and I enjoyed both performances. Not only was their acting good, but I also thought that the supporting cast did a wonderful job.

Overall, this drama is a heartwarming drama and I think that both the cast and crew did a great job of it.

Sunshine Angel
Jun 2, 2014
Okay. If you've ever watched a drama before, there's no doubt in my mind that this drama will be predictable. There's the four main characters who are as they are in most other dramas of this genre and not much changing drama throughout the series.

The story is very slow moving and lagging. There isn't much that happens the whole way through it.

The only reason that I watched this the whole way through is the fact that I am a big Rainie, Aaron and Jiro fan *mostly music-wise mind you*.

I think that this type of drama is okay for passing time but it didn't really play with my emotions or make me shocked at all.

Meishi Game
Aug 8, 2018
This is my chosen genre and I watch a lot of similar shows. If that's not you then my comments may not matter as much.

To me, this show just felt kinda unoriginal. I don't mean the actual 'game' side of it, although there were parts of that that were similar to shows that I've watched before, but in terms of plot progression and character motives etc, I felt like I was watching just an extension on things that I've watched in the past. The Quiz Show definitely comes to mind, and I'd pick TQS any day of the week over this. Not that you can't enjoy both, of course, but with the amount that I watch from the genre, I was hoping for something a little new. I felt for the most part it was predictable, but again it may be the amount that I watch, and the fact I'm a little cynical.

I liked a few of the cast, and others I didn't, you win some you lose some. I think Tsutsumi Shinichi & Okada Masaki are both great in this.... but they couldn't save it.

Meh, is the word that comes to mind when I think about what I just watched. I was watching for the sake of watching it.

For the plot progression they show what happened in the past, which works well. However I often felt like I was watching a completely different drama, and it was a little disjointed at times when they went into a bit too much detail. I think it would have worked a lot better as a movie.

I will not be watching this again as there are better shows out there. I try not to compare too much when I'm watching stuff but this one just rang too close to other things that I've watched. It was just okay.

JIN
Jul 22, 2018
I didn't think I'd find another drama I wanted to give a 10 to, I don't give them lightly.

I was put off medical dramas after finding one extremely boring, but I decided to watch this on a whim when looking for dramas for my Watch Challenge, and I do not regret it.

The story is gripping, once it gets started, and I did not want it to end (luckily I have part 2 to look forward to still). At parts it feels a little episodic but the overall plot is strong enough to prevent it getting boring.

The mix of genres on this works so well, meaning that if you do not find one of the genres interesting, but love another, I think you could still enjoy it.

The only downside (to some) could be the graphic nature of some of the medical procedures as it looks very realistic. I would not recommend eating while watching this drama... but I don't think it's something that should put you off watching it if you can handle it. I don't think it's particularly a negative aspect of the genre but perhaps something to be aware of.

The acting was top notch, from all of the cast, main and supporting roles.

It is very easy to see why this drama won so many awards.

Karamazov no Kyodai
Jul 12, 2018
This is a murder mystery that is worth watching (if for nothing else, for the amazing choice and use of soundtrack, whoever chose it deserves an award).

Seriously though, I watch a lot of mystery/crime stuff, and they can get a bit samey after a while... but this is among the better done ones, and it felt fresh. I've not read the novel, but the drama has persuaded me to (once a little time has passed so I can enjoy it again, without thinking of the drama).

The drama had an image it wanted to fulfill - dark and gloomy, almost gothic looking - and it hit every point it could; it adds to the experience and looked absolutely stunning.

The whole drama was cleverly put together, each episode revealing just enough information to progress the story, while keeping it interesting and not spoon-feeding the audience.

The characters are also interesting and obviously well thought out and clearly have their own motivations and thoughts, instead of being written in to progress the story. I had strong opinions of all the main characters (whether love or hate), which helped to keep me interested.

I don't want to spoil it, so won't say anything more...

I recommend to all fans of murder mystery/detective (etc) dramas.

Kaitou Yamaneko
Jul 10, 2018
Make sure that you leave reality at the door before you watch this drama. It's not realistic and it's not supposed to be, if that's not your thing, I probably recommend turning the other way. However, even though I mostly prefer realism in dramas, I still enjoyed this one.

Why? I hear you ask:

This drama was surprising. With its many twists and turns, I was able to get hooked on the storyline and overlook the more fantastical aspects of the drama.

Still, it did take me a couple of episodes to get into it fully, so if you are like me, just try to stick with it.

The acting also shocked me, I haven't watched a drama with Kame in for a long time, and I don't remember him being good... he's definitely improved, as has Narimiya.

The humour in the show is all inclusive... meaning that there is something for everyone, and sometimes it will fall flat. It ranges from toilet jokes to dark humour and puns based on other shows and Japanese comedians. There were times that I felt alienated, but when I got it, it did make me laugh.

One thing that bugs me with a lot of dramas is repetition, however this one did not have that many, and always seemed to be progressing the story.

I do not want to spoil it so I'm not going to say anymore.

I recommend to people who like mystery, comedy, and action.

Boku no Ita Jikan
Jul 3, 2018
I'm going to be completely honest with this review.

With all the positive comments about the drama, I was looking forward to it, and hoping for a good tearjerker. I was let down... it was just... okay.

For the whole drama I felt like there was something missing to make me feel completely involved in the lives of the main characters, I still can't put my finger on what it was but I felt like I was not emotionally attached to the characters at all. Nor did the drama make me cry once... and trust me, I cry at EVERYTHING.

The characters did not seem to make sense quite a bit of the time, I'll try to explain without spoiling too much of the story with examples:
At first they make Megumi out to be a bit of a scatter brain, but it suddenly changes and is just never played on again.
Takuto's parents dote on one son but not the other, yet do not see their true feelings. This is done to the EXTREME and felt immensely forced and unnatural.

Whilst I do not want to bash her, the actress who played Megumi did not seem to fit the role. She often seemed quite stiff, and her face sometimes portrayed the wrong emotions.
On the topic, some of the time she seemed to be there so that others could speak and progress the story, she herself does not add anything to the conversation 'un uun un un un'

I feel like I was not interested in the actual lives in the story, don't get me wrong, I felt bad for Takuto... but I did not really connect to him or any of the others, I felt like I was watching for the sake of watching.

Just so this is not one hundred percent negative, here are some positives:
There are comparisons between physical and mental health in the show. I'm glad that I've seen a Japanese drama that touches a little on the subject, little by little it seems to becoming more recognised, however the drama did not touch on getting help for it.
Mamoru seemed like a genuine character... I would have preferred a drama around him.

Don't get me wrong, it was okay... I just won't be rewatching it any time soon and do not think it deserves all the praise it has in the comments, there are a lot better dramas out there.

14-sai No Haha
Jul 2, 2018
I think if you want a drama filled with an interesting plot, this one should be missed. Other than the last episode, the drama follows the protagonist through her pregnancies and the struggles that she faces. However, those 'struggles' seem quite superficial, as it's mostly people's reaction to her pregnancy.

It is an okay watch for something to do but I would not put this on my recommended list anytime soon. I did not feel invested in the pregnancy one way or the other, and the drama felt overly repetitive. There were no big changes in the characters and some of their motivations seemed slightly off.

I also believe they should have chosen a younger looking actor for the main male lead. This is nothing against him, but he looked 10 years older, rather than one.

Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Jul 1, 2018
This drama has a very interesting story to go by, and one that I've not seen done anywhere other than The Butterfly Effect. I enjoyed the story very much, and was going to give it a 9/10 until half way through... BUT:

The 'twist' is very obvious and easy to figure out. I won't give my reasons because I don't want to spoil it but I think they could have done better by adding a few red herrings.
There is a very very overused stereotypical turn to the story and it is so overused that everytime I see a drama use it, it feels like a cop out to make the drama last longer. The story could have easily been condensed by a few episodes and it would have been more interesting.

Even so, there are positives to the drama such as EXCELLECT acting (the children especially did such a good job), and I would recommend it, even just based on that. The story, despite its downfalls, mostly succeeded in keeping me interested, and I would definitely watch more similar dramas if I could find them.

7/10.

Jul 6, 2018
Why does this have such high reviews? I'm guessing it's because of the cast? And because the people leaving negative comments below haven't made a review? I'm going to be honest, this drama is nothing more than ... okay. Probably a waste of your time.

Let me get to my reasons:

1) The plot does not move ANYWHERE. Things happen (some), yes, but there is hardly any shift in the characters and their personalities. To be fair, I don't think there is even enough that happens to warrant 10 episodes.

2) I may get some hate for this one... the cast... I like looking at Miura Haruma & Toda Erika as much as the next person but, lets be real here, they both cannot act. Their characters are unintentionally the same as every other role I've seen them in. Takai Emi was the best (main actor) of a bad bunch. I've given a few extra points for the acting because of a few of the supporting cast.

3) Illogical character development. I know I said there is hardly any shift in the characters, that's true. But there is some. Unfortunately when there is, it is illogical and not backed up properly. It is just like suddenly there is a lightswitch flicked inside of them. Most of the time, I can see where they were trying to come from, but the changes are too sudden and there doesn't seem to be enough reason behind the changes.

4) I don't know who the drama is trying to get the viewer to root for? I disliked all of the characters, apart from a couple of the supporting classmates. I think it tries to give reasons to like all the characters, however their flaws outweigh their good points. I also do not think they were given enough chance to be 'redeemed'. Hikari intentionally blackmails the other characters (without spoiler) and throws a ball in Natsumi's face. She never apologises though and is self-pitying. Natsumi is a doormat, too forgiving and weak. Shuji is selfish. I am going to post more in a spoiler in the comments about this. If you are going to watch it, it may spoil it, but he is a frustrating character. I sometimes like dramas with no likeable characters, however in this one, I don't like how the drama attempts to cover up their flaws, without a big enough change or a chance to redeem them.

5) I didn't mind PINK as the soundtrack... I wish they'd have matched scenes better though.

---

Otherwise, it's literally just okay. I don't think it's worth watching. There are better dramas on the topic, I'm sure.

Ashita no Kita Yoshio
Aug 20, 2018
Trigger warning: Suicide

This drama pleasantly surprised me in so many different ways.

The drama tells the story of Kita Yoshio who has decided to kill himself in 11 days time. The theme of suicide is dealt with in a completely different way to dramas that I've watched in the past, and to me (while obviously dramatised & exaggerated) it is very realistic. Some people who become suicidal have a certain calm about themselves that is unexpainable, and plan their suicide like they would plan a holiday or anything else in their lives - this is the feeling they get after their initial grief at the world. Most suicides are planned rather than done in the spur of the moment, and this drama plays on that aspect of it. As someone who has felt like that in the past, it definitely rang out true to me, and it was refreshing to see it portrayed in this manner.

Despite the dark undertones to the plot, the drama is otherwise mostly lighthearted, and I felt myself laughing many times. The screenwriter (& rest of the team tbh) have done an excellent job in inserting dark humour that works into a topic that is very taboo. They also did a great job of contrasting it with darker moments and their timings were spot on so that the intensity was lifted when needed, and I, as the viewer, could let out a sigh of relief.

There are also crime aspects to the drama which made it multilayered and fast paced, there was always something interesting happening in the plot and I did not once feel bored while watching it. This plus the fact it discussed relationships made the drama hit many different genre types and it did well at bringing them all together in a way that worked.

Kohinata Fumiyo (as Kita Yoshio) and Matsuda Ryuhei (as Yashiro Heita) both did phenomenal jobs with their roles and if it were not for a couple of the supporting cast (particularly looking at Kuriyama Chiaki), I was tempted to award a 10 in acting for their performances alone.

The rest of the review will contain a *SLIGHT SPOILER*

The reason that I did not give this a 9+ for plot:

I enjoyed the plot very very much right up until the very end, where I felt it was a little abrupt. I will not go into much detail however there were characters that I expected to influence the end that were just not present after a certain point in the last episode. I did not expect a fully rounded up drama (as I actually like that most Japanese dramas do not fall into the 'happily ever after' spiel) but there was just one tiny aspect that felt anticlimactic. I would not let this put you off though, it was otherwise a very enjoyable drama.

____

Recommend to fans of the following genres:

Dark Humour, Psychological, Crime, Drama

11nin mo iru!
Jul 25, 2018
I am not a big comedy watcher... but this grew on me a lot. I watched it for my watch challenge, thinking I could just about bear with it, but ended up actually enjoying it alot.

The acting was brilliant and I have no bad words to say about any of the actual cast. I was fully engrossed in all their characters and forgot that it was fiction at times (other than the slapstick aspects of the show). Kato Seishiro did an absolutely fantastic job of playing a shy youngest sibling yet keeping the mischievous young boy character going. I know that he's done a few, but it is always nice to see Kamiki Ryunousuke in a character that isn't (as) troubled and twisted as some of his more dramatic characters. The good thing about the drama is that it does a good job of balancing a few main characters alongside a large supporting cast. A lot of the time it actually feels like you are in the family home alongside them.

Like the other reviewers have said, this is an unpredictable drama, which makes it very enjoyable and always wanting to know what happens next.

There were a couple of characters that I HATED but I think they are meant to be at least disliked to give the drama variety. On the flipside there were a few characters that I was constantly rooting for. Without spoiling it, I believe that it would not have been as interesting without the characters the show allows you to hate.

Although, on the same line, the show has very much a 'squeaky clean family' feel for the most part. While I complain that I hated a couple of the characters, I think they missed a chance to have a couple of the siblings as 'rotten eggs', and instead, some of the time, it almost feels like the drama is forcing you to believe that the family is amazingly kind and wonderful and that they have [never] done anything wrong in their lives, or that when they do it's pretty tame. I would love to see a version of this where it's the opposite, and the mothers not at all happy with the [insert spoiler, if you've watched it you'll know what I mean], but that would be a different genre entirely.

However, it is enjoyable and I recommend it to those looking for something a little lighthearted, or family oriented.