AH :
As for plunging the world into pure chaos, my sense was that it wouldn't be the Shengnong remnant army's total victory (i.e., their successful restoration of the Shengnong Kingdom) that would plunge the world into pure chaos.

As XY noted in chapter 46, if the Shengnong remnant army succeeded in killing CX and in destabilizing and dividing Xuan Yuan (which, by that point, included the conquered territories of the former Shengnong and Gao Xing kingdoms) in an effort to achieve their goal, that would launch the entire world into disarray as various factions across Dahuang would go to war try to assert control over different parts of the vast wilderness (which would include the Shengnong remnant army continuing to try to fight to restore the Kingdom of Shengnong). 

Great point about Cang Xuan's death resulting in different factions fighting to be king. My thought is that it might have splintered back to the old structure - with Xuan Yuan, Central Plains and Gao Xin, primarily because the old Xuan Yuan king and Gao Xin king were still alive, as was Little Yan Zhuan. In Gao Xin, it is possible that there would also be smaller factions e.g. Bai Hu and Chang Xi tribes which betrayed Shao Hao during the Xuan Yuan-Gao Xin war, though I can't see any that would have the military might to be able to significantly control any one area of the Great Wilderness. As for Hong Jiang's choice of successor, I wonder whether he would have nominated Little Yan Zhuan (or by extension Feng Long, had he survived), who was a descendant of the Shen Nong royal family, and already enjoyed the support and respect of the Central Plains?

liddi:
As for Hong Jiang's choice of successor, I wonder whether he would have nominated Little Yan Zhuan (or by extension Feng Long, had he survived), who was a descendant of the Shen Nong royal family, and already enjoyed the support and respect of the Central Plains?

Possibly? His options were extremely limited. But I find it difficult to imagine Gong Gong lending his support to have anyone who surrendered to or pledged allegiance to Xuan Yuan to become the next Flame Emperor of a restored Shengnong Kingdom, if he ever had the opportunity to do so. Plus Little Zhu Rhong was CX's father-in-law. His daughter was CX's wife and an Empress of Xuan Yuan. And Feng Long was completely loyal to CX and his sister. If XL or someone else in the Shengnong remnant army succeeded in killing CX and then managed to claw control of the Shengnong Kingdom's former territory back from Xuan Yuan, I can't really picture Little Zhu Rong (or Feng Long, if he survived) siding with the Shengnong remnant army that killed CX / the restored kingdom of Shengnong rather than whatever remained of Xuan Yuan. 

AH :
Possibly? His options were extremely limited. But I find it difficult to imagine Gong Gong lending his support to have anyone who surrendered to or pledged allegiance to Xuan Yuan to become the next Flame Emperor of a restored Shengnong Kingdom, if he ever had the opportunity to do so. Plus Little Zhu Rhong was CX's father-in-law. His daughter was CX's wife and an Empress of Xuan Yuan. And Feng Long was completely loyal to CX and his sister. If XL or someone else in the Shengnong remnant army succeeded in killing CX and then managed to claw control of the Shengnong Kingdom's former territory back from Xuan Yuan, I can't really picture Little Zhu Rong (or Feng Long, if he survived) siding with the Shengnong remnant army that killed CX / the restored kingdom of Shengnong rather than whatever remained of Xuan Yuan. 

It is true Hong Jiang has very few candidates available. Still, I think the only real viable candidates are still Little Yan Zhuan and Feng Long. Certainly, I don't recall any other prominent, capable survivors of the old Shen Nong kingdom, at least not that I am aware of.

I am reminded of the leaked excerpt of the LYF prequel 千方相 where Xiang Liu mentioned the plans to kill the two traitors Hou Tu (Luo Jia) and Little Zhu Rong (Little Yan Zhuan), and bring their heads as a sacrifice to Zhu Rong:

Xiang Liu smiled and said, "I have long heard of the bravery of the black-winged snake. Today, I can see that it is not an exaggeration indeed. My white-winged golden condor usually feeds on venomous snakes, and is very adept in catching snakes."

Hou Tu smiled, "Military advisor, you sent Xing Tian to deal with me. Whom did you send to deal with Little Zhu Rong?"

Xiang Liu's eyes flashed with red light. "You need not worry. 
I dispatched fourteen people to meet up with Little Zhu Rong. After I have taken your head, I will bring it along with Little Zhu Rong's head to Xun Mountain to be offered up as a sacrifice to Zhu Rong."

-- 千方相 Thousands of Directions excerpt

Nonetheless, my impression is that the enmity between Little Yan Zhuan and Hong Jiang should have mellowed over the years, since Little Yan Zhuan was sent multiple times to persuade Hong Jiang to surrender and lived to tell the tale. I agree that the act of killing Cang Xuan is equivalent to killing Little Yan Zhuan's son-in-law. Nonetheless, assuming Cang Xuan, and not Feng Long was the one who died at Qingshui Town that night, would Little Yan Zhuan have refused if given a chance to restore the old Shen Nong kingdom and make amends for the shame of having surrendered in the first place? Perhaps not. 

@H19279

I am currently reading Once Promised (covered Vol 1 Ch15 thus far). Can I please check with you how Xiao Yao is referred to in the Vietnamese translation? 

The reason I asked is because the side story I translated from the 2019 revised edition, refers to Xiao Yao as 小瑶 Xiǎo Yáo (小 - little, 瑶 yáo is the "yáo" from her official name 高辛玖瑶 Gaoxin Jiu Yao), not her pet name 小夭 Xiǎo Yāo. It is possible that this is because in each instance, she was being referred to in conversation between Cang Xuan and a 3rd party (Luo Jia), hence the use of her official name, rather than her pet name.

Yet, in the main story of the 2019 revised edition, Xiao Yao is only referred to as either 小夭 or 玖瑶. There is no use of 小瑶 anywhere.

However, in the 2011 version, she is called 小瑶 by Chi Chen, Yun Sang, 9th Prince Yi Peng, and A Heng (when she is talking to Yi Peng about her daughter). At other times, Xiao Yao is called by her pet name 小夭 or official name 玖瑶.

A Heng asked, "Where is Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶?"

Yi Peng laughed. "How strange. You don't know where your daughter is, and actually came to ask me."

"You and I both know clearly that you were the one who kidnapped Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶."

:

A Heng's heart eased a little. With a cry, she burst into tears. Ignoring the hustle and bustle around them, Chi Chen took her in his arms and patted her back, saying "Don't be afraid, don't be afraid. What happened exactly?"

"He took Xiǎo Yāo 小夭 away."

"Who took Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶 away?"

"The one who once impersonated you."

"Who impersonated me?"

A Heng sobbed, speaking incoherently. Chi Chen had no choice but to take her to a secluded place and comfort her, saying, "Don't cry. No matter who took Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶 away, we'll just find her and bring her back."

-- Once Promised Vol 2 Ch9  (originally Chapter 12)

Yun Sang stood up, shook off the broken leaves on her skirt, and walked into the small kitchen next to the side hall with a bamboo basket in her hand. She laughed as she asked across the window, "Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶, when are you coming over to make fish soup?"

Jiu Yao 玖瑶 made a face at Yun Sang.

-- Once Promised Vol 2 Ch12  (Chapter 15)

Does the Vietnamese translation differentiate her names in the same manner?

liddi:
Nonetheless, my impression is that the enmity between Little Yan Zhuan and Hong Jiang should have mellowed over the years, since Little Yan Zhuan was sent multiple times to persuade Hong Jiang to surrender and lived to tell the tale.

My impression is that Gong Gong is the type of person whose sense of honour would prevent him from killing a messenger, but that he's also the type of person who would rigidly abide by his own harsh principles for centuries without ever softening. 

liddi:
I agree that the act of killing Cang Xuan is equivalent to killing Little Yan Zhuan's son-in-law. Nonetheless, assuming Cang Xuan, and not Feng Long was the one who died at Qingshui Town that night, would Little Yan Zhuan have refused if given a chance to restore the old Shen Nong kingdom and make amends for the shame of having surrendered in the first place? Perhaps not.

Little Zhu Rong seems like a more pragmatic person that is open to compromise. He chose to yield to the Yellow Emperor for the sake of his people. Perhaps if he thought that agreeing to become the next Flame Emperor of a restored Shengnong Kingdom would benefit his people, he might agree to it. Especially if the circumstances allowed him to do so without having to oppose his son (as a top general of Xuan Yuan) or his daughter (as an Empress of Xuan Yuan). 

I can picture an AU version of the story where the Yellow Emperor eventually passes away from old age and 5th Prince Cang Lin has CX assassinated and tries (but fails) to frame the Shengnong remnant army for it. Cang Lin then takes over the throne of Xuan Yuan and does not allow Xing Yue or Ah Nian to have any power or influence in his court as the dowager Empress. Also (in line with the answer that he gave to the Yellow Emperor in chapter 27), he heavily favours Xuan Yuan people over people from the former territories of the Gao Xing and Shengnong kingdoms. I could picture Shao Hao and Ah Nian fighting to restore Gao Xing and Xing Yue, Feng Long, and Little Zhu Rong joining with other families from the Middle Plains and with the Shengnong remnant army to fight to restore Shengnong / to free the Middle Plains from Cang Lin's rule. 

In that scenario, I could also see Little Zhu Rong agreeing to become the next Flame Emperor with Feng Long as his heir. Or, if Xing Yue had a son before CX was assassinated, maybe that son would be the heir. Maybe the restored Shengnong Kingdom would even defeat Xuan Yuan and depose Cang Lin one day. What a reversal of fates that would be. 

Edit: I just realized that if XY was unmarried in this scenario when CX was assassinated, this scenario could also lead to circumstances where XY and XL could be on the the same side of a war (since XY would presumably side with Shao Hao and Ah Nian against Cang Lin after he assassinated CX, even though Cang Lin was her uncle) that they could both win, and they could have a happy ending together. 

AH :
My impression is that Gong Gong is the type of person whose sense of honour would prevent him from killing a messenger, but that he's also the type of person who would rigidly abide by his own harsh principles for centuries without ever softening. 

Possible. But I am more inclined to think his principles and code of honour would be applied more to himself and his stance. For example, he too would have been aware of all the good Little Yan Zhuan had done over the past hundred years in the Central Plains, and how he fought for the betterment of his people, and his own rigid principles would not have allowed him to invalidate all that Little Yan Zhuan did, no matter how much he disapproved of his decision to surrender:

However, over the past hundred years or so, Little Yan Zhuan had transformed the Central Plains, which was previously plagued by banditry and poverty, into a different landscape. Although it was not yet a prosperous era, his governance was just, refugees returned to their homes, and the people lived and worked in peace and contentment. It was already a thriving era.

It was said that Little Yan Zhuan never shied away from his identity as a descendant of Shen Nong, and spared no effort to fight for the interests of the people of the Central Plains. He never concealed his intentions before the Yellow Emperor, stating that his governance over the Central Plains aimed to bring prosperity and abundance to the region, and allow the people of the Central Plains who have suffered through wars, to lead a good life. For this reason, Little Yan Zhuan suffered a lot of slander and pressure. Gradually, the clans of the Central Plains not only stopped being suspicious of Little Yan Zhuan but also greatly respected him. Yan Zhuan’s death represented the imperial integrity of the royal family’s heart for their homeland, so how was Little Yan Zhuan’s survival not an alternate manifestation of the same imperial integrity?

-- Vol 1 Ch11

AH :
Little Zhu Rong seems like a more pragmatic person that is open to compromise. He chose to yield to the Yellow Emperor for the sake of his people. Perhaps if he thought that agreeing to become the next Flame Emperor of a restored Shengnong Kingdom would benefit his people, he might agree to it. Especially if the circumstances allowed him to do so without having to oppose his son (as a top general of Xuan Yuan) or his daughter (as an Empress of Xuan Yuan). 

Yes I believe so too. Hence my opinion that if it came down to it and Hong Jiang could look past Little Yan Zhuan's defection and see the good he did for their people, Little Yan Zhuan would have been Hong Jiang's choice to lead the restored Shen Nong kingdom. Little Yan Zhuan's acceptance is likely as well, predicated on the fact that both Feng Long and Xin Yue were not harmed by the resistance army. The resistance army lost the support of the Central Plains exactly because Feng Long was killed by Xiang Liu, which accelerated their annihilation. As such, even if Cang Xuan had been killed by Xiang Liu, I am inclined to think that it would not have been a deal breaker that stops Little Yan Zhuan from agreeing to become the next Flame Emperor. 

AH :
In that scenario, I could also see Little Zhu Rong agreeing to become the next Flame Emperor with Feng Long as his heir. Or, if Xing Yue had a son before CX was assassinated, maybe that son would be the heir. Maybe the restored Shengnong Kingdom would even defeat Xuan Yuan and depose Cang Lin one day. What a reversal of fates that would be. 

The possibilities in that AU scenario are intriguing. Certainly, if the old Xuan Yuan king had still been alive, De Yan would be far less likely to be able to ascend the throne, even if Cang Xuan were assassinated. De Yan on the throne would have paved way for a shift in allegiances, due to the one common enemy for both Gao Xin and the Central Plains. It also gives Little Yan Zhuan and his children the added reason to realign with the Shen Nong resistance army to wreak vengeance as well as protect the people of the Central Plains.

AH :
Edit: I just realized that if XY was unmarried in this scenario when CX was assassinated, this scenario could also lead to circumstances where XY and XL could be on the the same side of a war (since XY would presumably side with Shao Hao and Ah Nian against Cang Lin after he assassinated CX, even though Cang Lin was her uncle) that they could both win, and they could have a happy ending together. 

And this is the primary reason I want this AU. Their common enemy meant that Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu need no longer be on opposing sides, since there is no reason for enmity between Gao Xin and the Central Plains. With or without Gao Xin's participation in the resistance against De Yan led-Xuan Yuan, Xiao Yao can also openly choose to stand with Xiang Liu, and he too, might finally, be willing to allow her into his life, since the Shen Nong resistance army's possibility of survival and victory is no longer a distant pipe dream.

liddi:
The reason I asked is because the side story I translated from the 2019 revised edition, refers to Xiao Yao as 小瑶 Xiǎo Yáo (小 - little, 瑶 yáo is the "yáo" from her official name 高辛玖瑶 Gaoxin Jiu Yao), not her pet name 小夭 Xiǎo Yāo. It is possible that this is because in each instance, she was being referred to in conversation between Cang Xuan and a 3rd party (Luo Jia), hence the use of her official name, rather than her pet name.

Yet, in the main story of the 2019 revised edition, Xiao Yao is only referred to as either 小夭 or 玖瑶. There is no use of 小瑶 anywhere.

Xiao Yao's official name  Gao Xin Jiu Ya'o in Vietnamese is Cao Tân Cửu Dao (高辛玖 )

Her pet name Xiao Yao is Tiểu Yêu ( )

liddi:
However, in the 2011 version, she is called 小瑶 by Chi Chen, Yun Sang, 9th Prince Yi Peng, and A Heng (when she is talking to Yi Peng about her daughter). At other times, Xiao Yao is called by her pet name 小夭 or official name 玖瑶.

A Heng asked, "Where is Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶?"

Yi Peng laughed. "How strange. You don't know where your daughter is, and actually came to ask me."

"You and I both know clearly that you were the one who kidnapped Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶."

:

A Heng's heart eased a little. With a cry, she burst into tears. Ignoring for the hustle and bustle around them, Chi Chen took her in his arms and patted her back, saying "Don't be afraid, don't be afraid. What happened exactly?"

"He took Xiǎo Yāo 小夭 away."

"Who took Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶 away?"

"The one who once impersonated you."

"Who impersonated me?"

A Heng sobbed, speaking incoherently. Chi Chen had no choice but to take her to a secluded place and comfort her, saying, "Don't cry. No matter who took Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶 away, we'll just find her and bring her back."

-- Once Promised Vol 2 Ch9  (originally Chapter 12)

Yun Sang stood up, shook off the broken leaves on her skirt, and walked into the small kitchen next to the side hall with a bamboo basket in her hand. She laughed as she asked across the window, "Xiǎo Yáo 小瑶, when are you coming over to make fish soup?"

Jiu Yao 玖瑶 made a face at Yun Sang.

-- Once Promised Vol 2 Ch12  (Chapter 15)

Does the Vietnamese translation differentiate her names in the same manner?

Yes, The online vietnamese translation that I read used different names in the same manner. 

When A Heng talked with Yi Peng, she was referred as Tiểu Dao (瑶 ). Chi You called XY as Tiểu Dao in chapter 12 vol 2

In Vol2  Chapter 15, Yu Sang called XY Tiểu Dao and Cửu Dao made a face at Yun Sang. And in a paragraph which describled Yellow Emperor's thought of that dinner preparation, XY was also called Tiểu Dao .

As I told you before, I think this is earlier edition. 

P/S: XY was quite friendly toward Chi You in Vol 2 Chapter 12. At the end of the chapter, seeing A Heng crying when Chi You leaving on his big bird (named Xiao Yao too in English, in Vietnamese Chi You's bird is Tiêu Dao), Xiao Yao whispered to A Heng: "Mommy don't cry, Yêu Yêu will not ride on that big bird" 

H19279:
In Vol2  Chapter 15, Yu Sang called XY Tiểu Dao and Cửu Dao made a face at Yun Sang. And in a paragraph which describled Yellow Emperor's thought of that dinner preparation, XY was also called Tiểu Dao .

Thank you very much for confirming that the Vietnamese translation coincides with the 2011  version I saw. Which then makes me wonder why the 2019 revised edition decided to do away with the distinction in her name. 

Which chapter described the Yellow Emperor's thought of the dinner preparation? I can't seem to find it in the 2011 version. However, this poignant scene where A Heng brought Xiao Yao to say goodbye to Chi Chen also has Chi Chen calling Xiao Yao as 小瑶. Is this the very last time Chi Chen saw his daughter? 

A Heng pulled Chi Chen out of the the tent. "Someone came with me to see you." Chi Chen was puzzled but he did not ask further.

In the secluded forest, Lie Yang was guarding the sleeping 
Xiao Yao 小夭. When he saw them approach, he flew away on his own initiative. A Heng handed Xiao Yao over to Chi Chen. While he had said he did not mind, seeing Xiao Yao's resemblance to Shao Hao made him uncomfortable and he was unwilling to take her.

A Heng forcibly placed Xiao Yao in Chi Chen's arms. Xiao Yao was sleeping soundly, so A Heng shook her awake. "Uncle is going to the battlefield soon. Say goodbye to Uncle."

Xiao Yao reluctantly opened her eyes and glanced at Chi Chen and said, "Uncle." She yawned and closed her eyes again, her arms wrapped around Chi Chen's neck, her head leant against his shoulder and she continued to sleep.

A Heng wanted to wake her up once more but Chi Chen said, "Don't call her. If she wakes up, she will start crying."

A Heng sighed softly and could only let Xiao Yao sleep.

Being extremely astute, Chi Chen became suspicious and could not help but carefully examine Xiao Yao's facial features in the moonlight. Since Xiao Yao bore a striking resemblance to Shao Hao, Chi Chen had never been willing to look at her closely. For the first time, he noticed a faint peach blossom birthmark on Xiao Yao's forehead. His heart stirred, and he asked, "A Heng, is 
Xiao Yao 小瑶 my child?"

A Heng opened her mouth as if to speak, but did not say anything. Suddenly, she smiled slyly, "You stay alive. As long as you're alive, you will know whose daughter she actually is."

Although Chi Chen did not get the answer he desired, he was happier than if he had gotten any answer. A Heng wanted him to live!

-- Once Promised Vol 2 Ch12  (originally Chapter 15) 

liddi:
Which chapter described the Yellow Emperor's thought of the dinner preparation? I

a few paragraphs after Yun Sang called XY to prepare the fish soup. Yellow Emperor had come to Cao Yun Peak that day too which he told XY later in LYF (I think in chapter 29). He hid in the garden/forest and saw the kids playing, the women were busy making dinner. And he detected the familiar smell of the steamed fish in the air. He recalled A Lei actually could not cook in the past since she came from rich, noble Xiliang family. It was him to make food and taught her to steam the fish. 

A Heng went into the kitchen to help Yun Sang, while ZH and Cửu Dao  squatted next to Lei Zhu's basket and played, using mulberry leaf stalks to play tug of war. Whoever lost got their nose flicked. Lei Zhu acted as the referee, supervising both of them. .

liddi:
Chi Chen had never been willing to look at her closely. For the first time, he noticed a faint peach blossom birthmark on Xiao Yao's forehead. His heart stirred, and he asked, "A Heng, is Xiao Yao 小瑶 my child?"

Yes, in this part Chi You asked A Heng if Tiểu Dao  ( ) was his child. (Vol 2 Ch15)

Here is the part in chapter 29 LYF which related Yellow Emperor's memory of that day

The Yellow Emperor was very casual as if he didn’t care whether Xiao Yao or Zhuan Xu came to visit, but one time after Ah Nian walked Zhuan Xu out, the Yellow Emperor stared at Xiao Yao and said “Many years ago when your grandmother was still alive, one evening I snuck through the secret passageway to Cao Yun Court and saw you swinging under the phoenix tree…..”

Xiao Yao turned to look at him oddly and the sadness in his eyes almost made her cringe as he continued “I hid outside the window and watched you guys surrounding Ah Lei and taking good care of her. I thought at that moment that even if I would own the entire world one day, I was destined to die alone. Who could have imagined that the day would come that I would have grandchildren by my side.”

If the Yellow Emperor continued to hold onto power, then he would likely really have died alone surrounded by power. Xiao Yao said “Even though you gave up power to make your dreams come true, but you also made Zhuan Xu’s dream come true.”

“When I was young and brash, it was all about never budging for what was important. Only afterwards did I realize I was wrong but it was too late.” The Yellow Emperor looked at Xiao Yao and said very solemnly “Xiao Yao, you need to remember that sometimes taking a step back does not equal losing.

H19279:
 a few paragraphs after Yun Sang called XY to prepare the fish soup. Yellow Emperor had come to Cao Yun Peak that day too which he told XY later in LYF (I think in chapter 29). He hid in the garden/forest and saw the kids playing, the women were busy making dinner. And he detected the familiar smell of the steamed fish in the air. He recalled A Lei actually could not cook in the past since she came from rich, noble Xiliang family. It was him to make food and taught her to steam the fish. 

Ahh okay - thank you very much! In  this scene, she is referred to by her formal name Jiu Yao, not 小瑶. There is a feeling of deja vu when I read scenes that were previously referenced in either LYF, or from the Once Promised side story - I just reached the part in Vol 1 Ch15 where A Heng finally recognises Luo Jia (Hou Tu) as the crying boy whom she helped beat up his bullies, and got punished by Qing Yang as a result. Luo Jia recollected this same event in the Side Story when explaining why he would do his best to try and find Xiao Yao, for A Heng's sake.

liddi:
Possible. But I am more inclined to think his principles and code of honour would be applied more to himself and his stance.

True. His rigid standard might be something that he only holds himself to, while holding others to a more flexible standard. 

liddi:
Little Yan Zhuan's acceptance is likely as well, predicated on the fact that both Feng Long and Xin Yue were not harmed by the resistance army. The resistance army lost the support of the Central Plains exactly because Feng Long was killed by Xiang Liu, which accelerated their annihilation. As such, even if Cang Xuan had been killed by Xiang Liu, I am inclined to think that it would not have been a deal breaker that stops Little Yan Zhuan from agreeing to become the next Flame Emperor. 

I think Feng Long and Xing Yue not being harmed by the resistance army would be the bare minimum.

It would get quite complicated if Feng Long (CX's right hand man) continued to oppose the Shengnong resistance army out of loyalty to CX and even desired to get revenge against them for CX's death and/or if Xing Yue (CX's widow) remained loyal to Xuan Yuan and continued to side with it against the Shengnong resistance army. 

I imagine that Little Zhu Rong would need a very, very compelling reason to side with the Shengnon resistance army in such circumstances. Even if he felt that doing so would be of net benefit to his people, I feel like he still might not be willing to side with the Shengnong resistance army if they had killed CX (his son-in-law but also a leader who he had pledged allegiance to and learned to accept and respect and who worked with him to ensure that the people of the Middle Plains lived well under his rule) and doing so would mean that he would also have to choose to be on the opposite side of a war from his only children. 

Changing the dynamic so that Cang Lin becomes the one who kills CX (instead of XL or the Shengnong resistance army) would address those issues for me. 

liddi:
The possibilities in that AU scenario are intriguing.

Yes. I think this one is going to be bouncing around in my head for a while. 

liddi:
Their common enemy meant that Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu need no longer be on opposing sides, since there is no reason for enmity between Gao Xin and the Central Plains.

IMO, the relationship between Gao Xing and the Middle Plains was never the issue for XY and XL. XY and XL were on opposite sides because XL sided with the Gong Gong and the Shengnong remnant army and, by virtue of her identity and her loyalty to CX, XY couldn't help but be on CX's side and (by extension) on the side of Xuan Yuan and its army. 

But with Cang Lin killing CX and replacing CX as the leader of Xuan Yuan, XY would be free and even compelled to side against Xuan Yuan instead of with it. As you said, she and XL would be able to side with one another against a common enemy. 

liddi:
De Yan on the throne would have paved way for a shift in allegiances, due to the one common enemy for both Gao Xin and the Central Plains. It also gives Little Yan Zhuan and his children the added reason to realign with the Shen Nong resistance army to wreak vengeance as well as protect the people of the Central Plains.

liddi:
With or without Gao Xin's participation in the resistance against De Yan led-Xuan Yuan, Xiao Yao can also openly choose to stand with Xiang Liu, and he too, might finally, be willing to allow her into his life, since the Shen Nong resistance army's possibility of survival and victory is no longer a distant pipe dream.

Precisely. 

One thing I don't understand how Xiaoyao feels about Tushan Jing??

Who do she take him for?

AH :
It would get quite complicated if Feng Long (CX's right hand man) continued to oppose the Shengnong resistance army out of loyalty to CX and even desired to get revenge against them for CX's death and/or if Xing Yue (CX's widow) remained loyal to Xuan Yuan and continued to side with it against the Shengnong resistance army. 

True that Feng Long might not be as easily forgiving of the fact that Cang Xuan was killed by Xiang Liu, because of the strong ties of brotherhood between them that went beyond mere ambition and vision. However, one of the considerations I have is how willing is he to go against his own people for Cang Xuan, who is considered an "outsider", someone who is not of the Shen Nong clan. Even the old Xuan Yuan king, and later Cang Xuan were very aware and respectful of those sensibilities, hence they never sent any of the Central Plains armies against the Shen Nong resistance army. The only reason Feng Long decided to lead the army against them was to beg for forgiveness for his sister. Would he also go against his own people for the sake of Cang Xuan, whom he loved and respected? Perhaps. But would his father agree? Also, at that point in time, it really depends on who the next Xuan Yuan king was. If it were someone who would revert to oppressing the Central Plains clans, e.g. De Yan, then I am not as certain he would persist on attacking the Shen Nong resistance army. 

The same consideration goes for Xin Yue. On a personal level, there is bound to be enmity towards the Shen Nong resistance army for making her a widow and former empress. It boils down to what kind of position she would be in, which rides on who the successor to the throne is. If it were one who despised the Central Plains, would she still persist on reverting to living in indignity under such a reign, or throwing her lot with the Shen Nong resistance army and drawing support from their own clansmen to fight for an independent Central Plains? 

AH :
IMO, the relationship between Gao Xing and the Middle Plains was never the issue for XY and XL. XY and XL were on opposite sides because XL sided with the Gong Gong and the Shengnong remnant army and, by virtue of her identity and her loyalty to CX, XY couldn't help but be on CX's side and (by extension) on the side of Xuan Yuan and its army. 

I think I worded my words poorly 

What I meant was that the current situation was such that because Xiao Yao stood on Cang Xuan (and by extension Xuan Yuan)'s side, she was always on opposing sides with Xiang Liu. However, if De Yan were king, Xiao Yao had no reason to side with Xuan Yuan. If Gao Xin too went against Xuan Yuan, and she had to pick a side, she was most likely to support Gao Xin (with her father and A Nian). As you said, And since there is no reason for Gao Xin to go against the Central Plains (and by extension the Shen Nong resistance army), it meant that she and Xiang Liu would no longer be on opposing sides for a change. 

If only Tong Hua had given us this. Though do you think we would still be here, unable to move on, if she had given us a happy ending?

liddi:
True that Feng Long might not be as easily forgiving of the fact that Cang Xuan was killed by Xiang Liu, because of the strong ties of brotherhood between them that went beyond mere ambition and vision. However, one of the considerations I have is how willing is he to go against his own people for Cang Xuan, who is considered an "outsider", someone who is not of the Shen Nong clan. Even the old Xuan Yuan king, and later Cang Xuan were very aware and respectful of those sensibilities, hence they never sent any of the Central Plains armies against the Shen Nong resistance army. The only reason Feng Long decided to lead the army against them was to beg for forgiveness for his sister. Would he also go against his own people for the sake of Cang Xuan, whom he loved and respected? Perhaps. But would his father agree? Also, at that point in time, it really depends on who the next Xuan Yuan king was. If it were someone who would revert to oppressing the Central Plains clans, e.g. De Yan, then I am not as certain he would persist on attacking the Shen Nong resistance army. 

Hmm. Nailing down how Feng Long would likely feel about his own identity is a bit tricky. 

On the one hand, he was raised in the Middle Plains (formerly Shengnong territory), he spent his childhood surrounded by the top Middle Plains family members (including TSJ), and he likely identified, first and foremost, as a Middle Plains person, at least before CX gained his throne. He presumably would have been proud to be a relative of the Shengnong royal family and probably wasn't a big fan of the Yellow Emperor, who held his sister as a child hostage when they were growing up. 

But iirc he is younger than CX and XY and might not even have any memories of Shengnong before it was conquored. He saw his father's example and philosophy (better to accept Xuan Yuan rule in order to gain a position that could be used to help the Middle Plains people than to die and leave them with no one to advocate for their interests) and presumably wasn't morally opposed to it, since he was also willing to ally with and support CX (the Yellow Emperor's grandson) in order to further his own ambitions. 

And during CX's rule CX encourage intermarriage between the Middle Plains families and Xuan Yuan families. CX himself married many Middle Plains women, Feng Long almost married XY, and Xing Yue became Xuan Yuan's Empress. My sense was that, over time, people in the Middle Plains identified less strongly as conquored Shengnong people and the lines between them and Xuan Yuan people started to blur a bit. 

And, by the time he died, Feng Long had closely supported CX for over 100 years and, since CX's ascent to the throne, he had been at the center of Xuan Yuan's military and political power for more than half of that time. He led Xuan Yuan's army against Gao Xing for ~ 10 years. By that point, would he not identify more closely with CX and Xuan Yuan than with Gong Gong and the Shengnong remnant army? Would he personally view CX as an outsider and Gong Gong as an insider simply based on extended blood ties? 

Yes, Feng Long was only driven to ask to lead the Xuan Yuan army against the Shengnong resistance army because he was desperate to help Xing Yue. But if CX had asked Feng Long to fight against the Shengnong army in a different scenario where Xing Yue was fine, I got the sense that Feng Long would have done so with few, if any, qualms. 

If CX, rather than Feng Long, had been killed by the Shengnong remnant army, I can more easily picture Feng Long wanting to avenge CX (similar to how Xian, a Middle Plains person from Chishui like Feng Long, so vehemently wanted to get revenge for Feng Long after he was killed) than I can picture Feng Long immediately defecting / abandonging the Xuan Yuan troops he commanded to fight with the Shengnong remnant army that had just killed CX... perhaps even on his watch. 

As you say, Feng Long's long term reaction would likely be heavily influenced by Xing Yue's position and the how the power struggles played out in Xuan Yuan after the assassination. If Xing Yue tried to hold on to power in Xuan Yuan, I definitely think Feng Long would have done his best to try to support her. If the power struggle didn't go in his favour and someone like Cang Lin managed to take control, I agree that there would be a decent chance that Feng Long would defect from Xuan Yuan and ally with the Shengnong remnant army to oppose that person, especially if he felt there was a real chance of being successful and/or if his father and sister made a similar choice. 

-----

Chapter 46:

Zhuan Xu took into consideration that Gong Gong was a member of the Sheng Nong royal family so he didn’t want to send Ying Long and Li Yuan, those old time Xuan Yuan generals, and risk reanimating the bitter antagonism between Xuan Yuan and Sheng Nong. He also didn’t want to send Feng Long and Xian, the Middle Plains new guards, and have them take on the big challenge at hand. He decided to send Ru So as the Great General with Yu Jiang and Ju Mang as the supporting generals. Even if Gong Gong and Xiang Liu were notoriously stubborn and fierce, with those three leading the charge and endless supplies and support behind them, Zhuan Xu was certain Gong Gong would lose in the end.

Just as Zhuan Xu was about to issue the decree, Feng Long came to personally beg to be allowed to lead the army, or even go and report to Ru So.

Zhuan Xu always treated Feng Long well so explained, “Feng Long, it’s not that I think Ru So is better than you, I actually think sending you is even more certain of success. But your identity is special, even with the Chi Sui last name but you also carry the bloodline of the Sheng Nong royal family. If I send you to attack Gong Gong, then it means even the Sheng Nong tribe doesn’t agree with what he is doing. We’re going to win this battle no matter what so there is no need for you to be saddled with the anger of the world. I’m trying to protect you which is why I’m not sending you into battle!”

Feng Long knew Zhuan Xu’s words were sincere and it made him even more loyal to him. Not just because Zhuan Xu had the vast heart of a true ruler, but because as the ruler he still remained true to just being a man. He valued friendship and loyalty, even when he achieved his goal he never betrayed those who were good to him, especially when it was friendship.

Feng Long said, “I know what Your Majesty is thinking, but years ago as we planned the goal was always the entire world! I knew this day would come and we are one final step away from our dream. How many men have dreams, and how many can make it come true? Not every man with a dream can lead an army of tens of thousands to help carve out a kingdom. I don’t care about getting a bad name with the world, I know what I am doing and this is the right thing to do. I don’t want to sit out the last battle, so will Your Majesty consent to let me go!”

The scene from so long ago when Feng Long came to see him in Xuan Yuan Castle flashed before Zhuan Xu. People were split thinking of what the Black Emperor’s greatest moment in his rise to power, the Yellow Emperor abdicating or the merging of Xuan Yuan and Gao Xing after the White Emperor named him as successor. In truth it was neither, the greatest moment happened in a simple room with no one around the catalogue it for the history books. It was his conversation with Feng Long, a meeting of the minds, an agreement without a blood oath even. Feng Long came and went in such a hurry, they didn’t even drink wine and instead toasted with water. But in that moment the two men both made the same decision and to this day that decision never wavered.

Zhuan Xu ordered, “A new proclamation – Chi Sui Feng Long will be the Great General, Yu Jiang and Xian as your second-in-commands.”

Feng Long smiled and bowed low. “Thank Your Majesty!”

Zhuan Xu said, “This war will be very different from the war with Gao Xing years ago, Xiang Liu is not going to be easy to face, be careful!”

Feng Long got up with a smile. “If it was an easy battle then I wouldn’t even want to go!”

Feng Long said, “I asked His Majesty to let me lead the army this time not for higher position or more riches, I’m doing this only for Xing Yue. His Majesty didn’t take away her Empress position or lock her up, but he has completely and utterly ignored her. A knife slowly cutting flesh is even more painful, and without His Majesty’s respect then the women on Zhi Jin Summit all look down on Xing Yue. In three years she’s aged hundreds of years. I want to win this big war and when His Majesty asks me what great reward I want, I will want nothing other than to ask that he forgives Xing Yue this once.” Feng Long bowed low to Xiao Yao. “When the time comes, please speak up for Xing Yue. I promise to have someone watching over her all the time, she will never do this again. And after these past three years, she will never have the guts to do it again either!”

Xiao Yao sighed loudly, “You guys think His Majesty does whatever I ask but that’s only because I know him too well and never ask for something he won’t agree to. Like before when he attacked Gao Xing, and now when he’s going to attack…” Xiao Yao stopped herself before continuing. “I’m well aware that even if I ask him not to attack he will not agree.” That’s why this time, unlike when he attacked Gao Xing and she was angry at him, now she could only silently and despondently look on as Zhuan Xu sent an army to attack Gong Gong and Xiang Liu’s resistance army.

Feng Long dropped to his knees with a loud thud and Xiao Yao frantically tried to get him to rise since the head of the Four Great Clans did not need to kneel before an Emperor. “Feng Long, get up! Quickly get up!”

Feng Long had strong powers and intended to kneel so Xiao Yao could not pull him up, so she had no choice but to kneel down as well to face him because she could not accept such a prostrating gesture from him.

Feng Long looked inconsolable and Xiao Yao had never seen the confident, arrogant Feng Long show this side before. Feng Long said, “Xing Yue and I are twins and sometimes I think that if she was born first and taken to Chi Sui, and I stayed at Xuan Yuan Castle, how would she turn out? Perhaps she wouldn’t be as determined or she may not have married His Majesty. Maybe she would be very happy now. Xiao Yao, I beg of you! I beg you please!” Feng Long kept bowing his head repeatedly on the ground to Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao said, “His Majesty can be very stubborn as well and on this matter I don’t know if he will change his mind. But I promise that I will plead for Xing Yue when the time comes.”

Feng Long said, “I pray my success in war and your pleading will help Xing Yue in the end.”

liddi:
The same consideration goes for Xin Yue. On a personal level, there is bound to be enmity towards the Shen Nong resistance army for making her a widow and former empress. It boils down to what kind of position she would be in, which rides on who the successor to the throne is. If it were one who despised the Central Plains, would she still persist on reverting to living in indignity under such a reign, or throwing her lot with the Shen Nong resistance army and drawing support from their own clansmen to fight for an independent Central Plains? 

I agree. Xing Yue cared about herself more than she cared about CX, any other person, or any kingdom. She would almost certainly decide where to lend her loyalty based on the group she felt would be in the best position to help her get the best outcome for herself. If she thought allying with the Shengnong remnant army would get her the best outcome, I expect she would do so and wouldn't let their responsibility for CX's death get in the way of her self-interest. 

liddi:
If only Tong Hua had given us this. Though do you think we would still be here, unable to move on, if she had given us a happy ending?

Probably not. ^^