ASTER:

I don't think they will discriminate in any way To add a country. Maybe they are busy with other stuff.

I don't care if it is Vietnam or any other country, at least start adding countries.

Unfortunately it almost has to be discrimination - this is a site of user generated content, essentially all they have to do is create the places in the database the information can be stored.

I haven't setup a database in years but I'm assuming its still easy enough to create a duplicate of something you have already created - then just change stuff that says "Thailand" to "Vietnam" - I'm over simplifying but not much.

They are "Gatekeeping" - that is exactly what this is.

Tsuliwaensis:

stop it already.
it is far more likely that the reason is money. look at all the stuff they added lately, it's all games and ranking systems, sorting out actors according to popularity and site members according to how much money they spend. they want to attract the kind of people who get addicted to things and are willing to spend money to feed their addiction.
so, yeah, they might also be homophobic racists, but the primary reason for that is because they're capitalists. in terms of evil it makes no difference, but in terms of strategy it does.

so, the question is: how can we make them interested in adding Vietnam to the database when there's no money in it for them?
so far, obviously, the answer is: we can't. otherwise it would be done already.

so, does anyone have an idea how we can change that?

I'd like to believe that but I don't see evidence of that.

From my observations over the past 5 years the female demographic of BL fans is one of the most exploited fan bases in all of global media.

They have all of the BL fans here and have made no efforts to monetize what many, many others have already made millions off of.

Jakksen:
They have all of the BL fans here and have made no efforts to monetize what many, many others have already made millions off of.

how could MDL do that though?
compared to the general Kdrama fanbase BL-fans are still pretty niche and tiny in comparison. it doesn't feel like that when you're immersed, but take a step outside and you'll find that most people out there still don't even have a faint clue what "BL" even is. but most of them have watched a Kdrama or twelve. in order to attract more traffic to this site it makes far more sense to put Korean stuff everywhere. and Chinese stuff for some strange reason that I don't understand. any other country you already have to make a conscious effort to dig for.
you can be more than just one thing, of course. just because you're a capitalist, doesn't mean you can't also be a homophobic racist. but even the most homophobic racists on the planet will pretend to be otherwise when there's money in it, if they're also capitalists. and I don't believe for a second that the people behind this site are in it for any other reason than making money. it would look vastly different around here otherwise.

All right. I see what you are saying. I can see how the mods and Admins may share a similar point of view - the sheer amount of content out of S Korea, Japan, China - it absolutely dwarfs the entire genre of BL/Queer Asian content, I can see how they may be unaware of what they actually have. In fact their efforts to "control ratings" and prevent their top lists from being taken over by BL was them missing the boat entirely. 

This is a fanbase willing to travel internationally to meet their favorite ships - a fan base that rates even terrible content very high and watches everything made within the genre, everything. They watch everything.

You forget that Kinnporsche was #1 Trending on twitter - there has been a lot of similar such headlines, all bc of a fanbase that is small almost everywhere locally but is actually quite large internationally.

I think being a meeting point for all international fans - to such an extent that I don't think it can be copied without dividing the fan base,  has the potential to be very lucrative. Seriously, I would have already copied this website and made a queer version if I thought I could bring all the female fans along also.  And the ambition

I also actually like MDL - it was was my gateway to an entirely new thing for me. I feel personally invested in this website and I'm sure people that have been here longer feel that way also. That said, I don't necessarily feel this is a "safe space" so to say (I'm not implying any negative treatment outright) - I just feel a little like I'm part of a group that low key annoys the people that run this site.

That is the entire reason I have not gone VIP for a website I use very often.

And - I mean, I don't want MDL to be a gay site or anything but having a specific demographic of people congregate in one place tends to attract advertisers that create stuff for that population... I mean this isn't reinventing the wheel.

Jakksen:
You forget that Kinnporsche was #1 Trending on twitter

bless your heart, you are giving me far too much credit! I actually had no idea! XD
I'm a middle aged queer woman, I'm staying as far away from social media as I possibly can. for mental health reasons ;)

Jakksen:
That said, I don't necessarily feel this is a "safe space" so to say (I'm not implying any negative treatment outright) - I just feel a little like I'm part of a group that low key annoys the people that run this site.

I know what you mean, I feel the same. but for me, that's also one of the reasons why I don't feel overly attached to this space. if there was a more inclusive, less dumb version of this out there, I'd be gone to there in a second with a song in my heart.

Jakksen:
And - I mean, I don't want MDL to be a gay site or anything but having a specific demographic of people congregate in one place tends to attract advertisers that create stuff for that population... I mean this isn't reinventing the wheel.

true. and it would be lovely if we could have it all, wouldn't it? if there was even just a little bit of an exploring sense of adventure in the hearts of the people behind this. I mean, if there was, adding more countries would've been the number 1 priority from day one and we wouldn't have this conversation. and what a great place this could be... you would actually be able to stray off the beaten path and explore new things, find new passions and get acquainted with all kinds of different cultures. it would truly be a good thing. that does something important. and worth wile. one can but dream...

or do it. if you know a thing or two about coding, I happen to be a graphic designer and a female BL fan (granted, not a teenage girl and also not straight, but still, I know my way around women ;)) - if you want to band together and make this happen, I'm game! we could be extra obnoxious about it and start the whole thing with just Vietnam XD

@Jakksen I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Especially since we already know that MDL refuses to add GagaOOLala to the places shows can be watched specifically because that is a 100% LGBTQ+ site.

However, there are some really good non-BL content coming out of Vietnam as well, just few people choose to venture out of the more well known countries. You're welcome to check out my profile and see what I watch. You'll have a good idea why I want this so badly. 

kajirae:
there are some really good non-BL content coming out of Vietnam as well,

Yes, like Mac Biet (Dreamy Eyes available on Netflix US), The Rebel (1st Viet martial arts), Hai Phuong (Furie in international), Co Ba Saigon, the Housemaid & so on.  Plus, there is an upcoming HBO drama where most of the cast are Vietnamese descents with Robert Downey Jr.  

Thingnguyen62:

Yes, like Mac Biet (Dreamy Eyes available on Netflix US), The Rebel (1st Viet martial arts), Hai Phuong (Furie in international), Co Ba Saigon, the Housemaid & so on.  Plus, there is an upcoming HBO drama where most of the cast are Vietnamese descents with Robert Downey Jr.  

Thanks for that. I'll try to remember when I next have Netflix available.

newbiefan:

Thanks for that. I'll try to remember when I next have Netflix available.

No prob.  I just remember the Paper tigers which is directed independently by a US Vietnamese Director.  Despite being distributed in the US, it is a dedication to Bruce Lee's hometown.  The Vietnamese actor, Andy Lee, is feature in the movie and he was in Shang Chi & the legend of the Ten Rings

LOL what with the conspiracy theories in here. There are many Asian countries still not in MDL but it doesn't  mean admin have anything against them. 

As for Vietnam I guess it's about time they will include it judging from the votes. But according to admin the last time I read, they prefer to have a database that is complete with a minimum number of countries, instead of a half-ass complete database but with every Asian countries listed. 

The key is the people who will put in all the data. I guess if you have enough volunteers for Vietnamese database (who are well versed with the language and local industries and have access to social media and stuff), there's no reason for admin to refuse anymore.

Shouldn’t they had been searching for people like that, we had been breathing down their necks like for every and still yet nothing is being said or done about like come on now. When will they make it happen will it be what like 20 years till it’s done or better yet even start something.

So is anyone watching Mr Cinderella 2 on YouTube? I haven't even finished the first ep & I'm already stressed by the brother & new doc.

Me too! I can see the conflict coming too early in the series.

TimiZero:
But according to admin the last time I read, they prefer to have a database that is complete with a minimum number of countries, instead of a half-ass complete database but with every Asian countries listed. 

I have said this before and will say it again. If we wait for the current database to be complete (whatever that means) before adding another country, there will never be more countries added. The database can never become complete if they keep making dramas. 

Either they are saying this the wrong way, or they are just outright saying they don't want to add more countries, not sure which is true. Their statement at best is ambiguous and doesn't tell us how this can be fixed.

If there really are large gaps in the database, which aren't apparent to me or others, why not publicly push to get those fixed instead of just saying "it's not complete" and leaving everyone in the dark as to what "complete" means? The admin could say "we are lacking Chinese dramas from 2001-2003 involving company [name] can users please submit dramas from this company. Or something like that. 

j729:
If we wait for the current database to be complete (whatever that means) before adding another country, there will never be more countries added. The database can never become complete if they keep making dramas. 

thats also my point