episode 27/28

I am very disappointed in kyungae's reaction. (the 3 boy's mother)

because her favorite and spoiled son scammed her, now she is going to annoy and harass her 2 other boys. as if there was the slightest possibility for the story to repeat itself now that the gift is off table! the 2 male parents are so broad minded that her narrowness is chocking.

the dad and the grandfather had the better reaction: it's my fault for baiting you with a huge gift. let's take off the gift from the table.
if you look again at this part of the story, the mother didn't apologize at that moment. she didn't understand her responsibility. nor does she understand how useless is her suspicion toward the 2 older boys. she is even jeopardizing her 2 boy's happiness and marriage for nothing.

It was really heartbroken to see crying Hae Jun

bohee:

It was really heartbroken to see crying Hae Jun

I was crying with her 

Ep 30 “The Perfect Partner”

(TL/DR, you know the drill by now.)

One thing I think is most interesting about this series is how we all view it differently through our own personal filters.  While we all watch the same show, we develop different feelings based on which tribe we are a part of and maybe what ‘team’ we are pulling for.  This review is based on my own feelings at this point and is the most personal one I’ve presented here.  As with many complex things in life, it is neither ‘right’ nor ‘wrong’…it is what it is.

That being said, I fell for the previews and feared this episode.  Was Episode 30 dramatic?  Yes.  Did we see character development?  Sure, it was a watershed moment for Hae Jun and MiRae’s Mom.  Was it well-written?  Mostly, although the ladies room scene was almost exactly the same from a recent episode of “Bravo, My Life”.  Who knew that the Ladies Rooms of Seoul were such a center of eavesdropping? 

TBH, I found this episode curious. I am unashamedly part of team HaeJae and I wanted to be angry with the writer for putting HJun in a situation where she cried.  I even drafted a 1,250-word review blasting the episode.  But after watching twice, I almost enjoyed it and tossed my draft.  Unfortunately this version is almost 1,500 words.  I apologize in advance.  And rather than discuss them as “The Dolts”, I will focus on them as individuals here. 

DISCLAIMER:  I admit I feel a closeness with HaeJun, as I have lived so much of the same things she & YJ are going thru in life, that it’s getting to be kind of eerie.  I understand her.  Love her or hate her (and do I realize there are those that are not fond of her) she is the most complex and interesting character on the show, either Male or Female.  They may not be the “main couple” but she is the dominant female personality (it’s a close tie with KyungAe at this point).  The writer understands this:  It’s no coincidence we hear HER inner thoughts more than any other character.  You just have to look past the humor-angle that she and YJ present to see the kernel of truth behind them.

A vital point in understanding her is that she is also as emotional as MiRae, but she keeps much of it hidden away (For instance until now, we’ve only seen brief mentions of the pain she feels at her mother’s premature death).   To succeed in her male-dominated profession, she must present a strong, confident personality.  Crying (a sign of weakness) is not allowed.  This is not unique to Korean culture.  Think of the few scenes leading up to and during the confession on the bridge, or when she met YJ in ep 28 in the parking garage to go to his parent’s house - those fleeting moments where she’s fought to hold her emotions in check, yet we have never seen tears. 

Until now.

In the 29 episodes before this, we’ve seen Hae Jun be happy, sad, funny, angry, crazy, clever, clumsy, commandeering, endearing, confused, patient, frustrated, silly, depressed and elated.  She’s dealing with running a successful business, being a lawyer, a TV personality, and virtual “Big Sister” to HJ and MiRae.  And let’s be honest:  she struggles with impulse control leading to bad decisions, mostly due to her attempts to cope with falling in love at her age.  Save for MiRae, (and to a lesser extent, HJ) until recently she had no close friends to share her life with and little family support.  She’s had to deal internally with loneliness, jealousy, confusion, doubt, and trying to be (and stay) in love with a man that needs to be coaxed to be the person he can be and that she needs. She continues to be under stress from all this.

Ultimately, she is good for YJ and they both know it.  Without her to pull him out of his shell, what is his future?  And HE is the only man that has made her truly happy, even in doing the littlest things, and they both know that too.   

I hope their destiny is being a couple forever.  She feels this way too, for her mother has arranged it.

And yet tonight, we get to see her hurt by her own brother and his wife, who rather she would live alone for the rest of her life.  Inconceivable, right?  Well, think about it: then her considerable estate will go to them and their kids upon her passing, since she will have no heirs.  Their ulterior motives were pretty well exposed in the second meeting with her brother, where all he could focus on were financial issues, wheedling information from her, and trying to make her focus on HIS family, not her own future. 

As we say here in the US:  YOU SCUMBAGS!  I hope she changes her will ASAP. 

So, the emotional walls she so carefully constructed, which have strained under the pressure of the last few episodes, finally collapse on the drive home from the first meeting and she can no longer contain the sadness, grief, desperation and fear she hides in her heart. And finally we see the tears flow and she breaks down and sobs, hiding her face in shame for revealing her weakness, even to her man.  If you aren’t touched by this scene, you might want to check yourself for a pulse.  It’s hard for me to even WRITE this!  Was this some kind of cheap teak-jerker ploy meant to pull on our heartstrings?  Maybe, but I don’t think so.  Because if you understand her, you realize this was the cumulative effect of trying so hard to seize the prize that fate finally presents to you after a lifetime of waiting, only to see it being pulled back out of reach, by your own family’s contempt for your decision, no less. 

We all wear “masks” in our lives.  They are a means of protecting the inner “us”, whether we wear them consciously or not.  At this moment, her own brother and sister-in-law have ripped the mask from her.  She is emotionally crushed and betrayed, and despite the hands she covers her face with, we get a brief glimpse of the real Sim Hae Jun:  A lonely woman who simply wants the support of her remaining family to live in comfort with her mate for the rest of her life. 

And as she sobs, she must think to herself:  “Was that too much to wish for?”

<<PAUSE>>

At the end of the second meeting, she finally turns her back on her brother as he continues to berate her decision.   And we see once again, the stress, pain and disappointment flash across her face as she struggles to keep her composure.  After he leaves, in her heart-to-heart with HJ, we see the walls start to fail again, but she quickly shores them up.  But her despair cannot be mistaken.

The other thing that struck me the most in this episode was the growth shown by YJ.  He makes every right decision and does everything he can to support HJun.  He makes her smile after her tears, stays with her as long as possible that day, and finally calls her at bedtime to check on her and tell her of his father’s praise for her because he knows she needs the lift, and lift she does.  He now realizes the issues ahead of them before the wedding.  Marriage is no longer a theory to him and it’s time to get down to business.  They resolve their living arrangements (he makes the correct decision to not remove her from the comfort of her nest) and the issue of children is handled reasonably well. 

When she sobbed in the car, YJ got to see this side of her and felt her pain too.  Nothing, and I mean NOTHING affects a man more than seeing the woman in his life sobbing.  It provokes an instinctive response in us that I can’t explain.  OMS’s facial expressions during this scene were so accurate and well-done.  As I asked in the Ep 29 discussion, will YJ say ‘Enough!’ and swoop to her rescue to stop these futile attempts to get their families approval and just marry the woman he loves?  After all this, does he think a Meeting of the Families will go any better?  Forget cultural customs:  Spare your woman from this pain! 

There will be challenges ahead of them to be sure, and Episode 31 will probably be no easier.  But they have a plan and are forging ahead, aware that they can’t expect overwhelming support, at least not yet.  But they know that they do have each other and that their love has been tested and still grows.

Good night from Southern California.

LA_Drama Fan:
We all wear “masks” in our lives.  They are a means of protecting the inner “us”, whether we wear them consciously or not.  At this moment, her own brother and sister-in-law have ripped the mask from her.  She is emotionally crushed and betrayed, and despite the hands she covers her face with, we get a brief glimpse of the real Sim Hae Jun:  A lonely woman who simply wants the support of her remaining family to live in comfort with her mate in the rest of her life. 

And as she sobs, she must think to herself:  “Was that too much to wish for?”

<>

At the end of the second meeting, she finally turns her back on her brother as he continues to berate her decision.   And we see once again, the stress, pain and disappointment flash across her face as she struggles to keep her composure.  After he leaves, in her heart-to-heart with HJ, we see the walls start to fail again, but she quickly shores them up.  But her despair cannot be mistaken.

And isn't that the truth. HaeJun has shown us very different sides of her and tbh, seeing her crumble, while painful, makes her even more relatable. She has had to be the strong, decisive professional woman, but we've seen her loneliness and her desire to find that someone who will be her partner. After she founf YJ we've seen her navigate her feelings, her eagerness, her doubts and finally her certainty of having found out that person she had already thought she wouldn't find. 

And now, we saw her sadness and hurt at having her own family question her desires, her life decisions. I do think, it was important and I, again, applaud Shin Dong Mi's portrayal of HaeJun.

YJ seems determined now, sure of his feelings and his relationship and I am so very glad to see that. I do wonder,  if he went to his brother's house not only for food but for support. Let's say I am hoping he will be surprising us (positively) next episode. 

Now, what do you all think will happen  with the annoying aunt of Mirae? How long will she be there? I want her gone! Lol!!

Ep 31  “I wont forgive anyone that attacks my Mom”

For a series that started out about the Lee Family’s efforts to marry off their sons, this episode pivoted to the ongoing troubles of the Hyun’s.

Here we got to see the evil Aunt Gold-digger continue to wreak havoc in her mission to split the family apart and assure her stature as full-share heir to their mother’s estate while isolating SooJung.  At least half of this episode displays the full wreckage caused to the family.  We also got to see JinHeon finally become a fully-fleshed out character instead of the doormat he’s been to-date.  The same is true for JungHoo, who finally gets a chance to be more that an awkward guy that sits around a lot.

This also represented a rebirth of MiRae.  She’s been stuck as a one-dimensional character ever since the incident at the restaurant where the two couples found out about each other.  Instead of just being HJ’s girlfriend, she has now reappeared as the oldest sibling of her family, and is allowed a full set of emotions again.  I can only imagine how happy Ms. Bae must have been when she first saw the script for this Episode.  The scene in the hospital lobby between the mother and her two children was one of the most touching in the series.  As traumatic as the events have been, the fallout has given them the chance to reconnect and reset their relationships (especially between MiRae and her Mom). 

The Lees…

KA is so deluded that she now thinks that SJ turned out the way he did because they didn’t pay enough attention to him.  What???  Minho goes as far as to recruit HJ to put in a good word for HJun with KA.  HJun, suspicious that KA’s dislike of her is real, despite YJs assurances, is so desperate to set things right with KA, that she barges in on HJ’s lunch date with Mom.  It goes well (by Dolt standards – nothing gets spilled or broken) and she gets to explain about the elevator and excuses herself.  She seems to feel better about it (for now).  But what was most interesting is the different dynamic we saw after she left, between HJ and his mother vs. how YJ relates to KA.  HJ butters up mom to get her to see MiRae in a positive light.  I can’t imagine YJ doing the same, at least sincerely. 

The Meeting of the Families?  Well, let’s save that for ep 32. 

Oh, and YuNa proves you CAN go home again, at least for an overnight trip.  That was nice to see too.

Ep 32  “This is unfair!”

This was a depressing episode for a HaeJae fan.  With so much action on all fronts in this one, as opposed to Ep 31, I’ll try to focus on 2 areas at the end of this.

To address the Hyun’s situation, it’s good to see both of MiRae’s parents connecting to each other better.  And the scene in the parking lot between the 2 kids was really, really good.  We again see MiRae as the eldest sibling willing to take action.  JungHoo continues to grow as well.  But the most memorable for me was HJ’s finest moment:  In visiting Grandma Mi again, and comforting her in her dementia.  He really hit a Grand Slam here, impressing both of his prospective in-laws.  Well done!

Now for the Lees…..sigh

The Meeting of the Families was the disaster we all expected.  Comedy aside (and it WAS funny, I must admit), for a couple that simply wants to marry without all the family trappings, it was indeed disastrous.  Because their plans are a message that no one wants to hear.  To make matters even worse, her brother continues his effort to derail the marriage with subtle digs at the Lees meant to antagonize them.  And it has its intended effect on KyungAe, who, at this point is looking to seize on anything to criticize HJun. 

It’s interesting that the writer gave us two situations where passengers in a car listened in on a phone call…and the outcomes were so different.  For the Hyun’s, all were smiles…for the Dolts & KA, what was a happy trip home turned ugly quickly as HJun fought back tears again.

And MinHo can be such a good dad (he’s crestfallen at hearing SJ wants a career in cleaning, but supports him) and such a weak husband….

Anyways:

Scene #1 – The summons to meet from KA to HJun.  HJun, who at this point is fully aware of KA’s animus towards her, despite YJ’s assurances, is predictably alarmed.  This series does the subtle things best, and here we got: 

-for background music:  The melancholy nursery rhyme “My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean”. 

-The setting:  a sparse coffee shop (?) with nothing being served because KA won’t let HJun order anything. 

Instead, KA immediately seizes the offensive and mentions that HJun is late, blindsides her on the phone call, and mentions her hurt feelings courtesy of her brother, all of which is HJun’s fault.  We can see HJun crumble as the litany continues – turn off the sound and watch her body language.  Then something interesting happens.  While HJun tries to withstand the blows, when KA talks about letting the parents having a say in the wedding, she doesn’t nod and say “Yes, Mother”.  Instead we get “Let me think about it and get back to you” and attempts a smile.  Hmmmmm.  That subtle shift means something and I don’t know what. 

The sad ending for this scene is HJun’s anger at YJ for not giving her a heads up.  We haven’t seen her hang up on him for a long time, and boy did she here.  She is angry, upset, humiliated and sees the cracks in their marriage plans starting to grow.  “Paging Sim Hae Jun, priority call from a Mr. Insecurity on line 1”

Scene #2 – KA’s continuing decline.  In her bedroom with MinHo after the argument with YJ, he does try to calm her down, but KA’s rage is in full force.  She’s found something else to hate about HJun, and starts to rant, hyperventilating, and tearing up, while closing with what is behind all of this (in her mind):  “How could he treat me like that because of some girl?” 

And we now see her phoniness behind the Marriage Competition and her efforts to marry off her sons.  She wasn’t interested in seeing them get married.  She just wanted to no longer be left out, when her friends boasted about their married sons. 

She wants to continue to direct their lives.  She’s ruled those sons thru conniving and intimidation and when one son brings home a girl who conspires to defraud her, she starts to lose it.  Now, here’s another threatening woman!  HJun is in the cross-hairs of her mental shooting gallery. 

BANG! There goes Yu Na;

BANG! There goes Hae Jun;

Will she pull the trigger on MiRae as she passes in front of her sights?

No other female will have the power over her sons that SHE has.  That is where KyungAe is now.

Run Dolts, Run.  Elope and get as far and as fast as possible!  Godzilla is coming and it’s disguised as a 60 year-old housewife.

Thank you and good night from Los Angeles, CA. 

Ep 33 “You should express how you feel”

In addtion to "It's Beautiful Now", I’m also watching another KBS Drama, “Bravo, My Life”.  Although cute and well-produced, it does require a significant suspension-of-belief to accept the storyline.  Something that is NOT required with this series.  The director/writer/producer have combined to give us a series that is so accurate with regards to life events and the reactions of ordinary people to extraordinary things, that it takes some getting used to.

In this episode, we see the dangers facing the elderly/bedridden from aspiration of food or water.  If you’ve had elders in nursing homes, you know what I’m talking about.  Even their water is altered and thickened to prevent accidental inhalation.  What happened to Grandma Mi-Young was all too familiar and real.  That they chose to depict this was really surprising to me and reflective of the attention to detail and accuracy we’ve seen to date.

The Hyun’s

Although the Hyun’s seemed to dominate this episode, they accounted for only 24 minutes of screen time in this 67 minute run.  I was surprised by this.  Grandma has outlived her purpose, as her role as the reminder of 1) the adoption of her daughter and 2) fellow-keeper-of-the-secret, was at an end .  She should be soon followed on the way out by the Evil Aunt, who’s purpose has also been fulfilled and can be kicked back to Australia (sorry, Aussies). 

That being said, Auntie did bring up a valid point.  Her tough-love message of not keeping things bottled up to maintain calm in a family has merit.  And it does help explain the dysfunction between MiRae and her mother.  “As your Aunt, I’m telling you the truth”.  And it IS the role of our Aunts & Uncles to sometimes tell us the things our parents can’t or won’t.  I actually respected her a lot for saying this.  But she’s still a rat. Although MiRae’s mom does try to refute it, the truth behind what the Aunt said can’t be denied. The truth is somewhere in-between being open and honest vs. bottling things up to keep from hurting feelings.

But there is no doubt, MiRae is getting it from all sides, Aunt, Grandma, her Mom, etc.  Only the coldest viewer couldn’t feel any empathy for this poor girl, who is also being asked when she’s going to get married every 5 minutes. 

The Lee’s

We had several cute scenes in this episode, starting with YJ drinking with HJ.  It gave us KA calling out YJ for telling her he was at HJ’s when it turned out this time HE WAS.  The background reaction of MinHo was the payoff here.  And the two older brothers share a connection that doesn’t bridge the age-gap to their younger sibling.  With the venue selected we finally get to see HaeJun’s “happy dance” again, and she eventually joins the brother’s at HJ’s.   But he has to excuse himself and go to MiRae (something he’ll repeat in Ep 34).  Which gives us the chance to again see them talk in private, as a couple.  (CONTINUITY ERROR:  She tells the brothers she got the call from the venue at her office, when clearly she was at home.  Someone check the script, please!)

Over at the Lee’s…..The next scene up is YJ telling his mom about the wedding date 3 weeks hence.  Unfortunately, we got to see the lack of communication between YJ & his Mom yet again.  YJ keeps trying to talk to his mother in a rational, logical way that reflects his scientific/medical background.  Which is NOT how you talk to your Mother, and it aggravates an already out-for-blood KA, who is looking for anything to latch on, to attack.  It never occurs to him to simply ask “Mom, we both want to make you happy, what can we do for you?”  But the good news is that MinHo was there to referee and ask the YJ key question “why must you do it in a way that upsets your mom?” 

Meanwhile, back at the Law Office….When MiRae & HJun meet to discuss wedding dresses, they’re interrupted by YJ’s call that basically tells HJun to talk to his mom (again) about the plans.  You can see her deflate upon hearing the news, and she doesn’t trust his trying to downplay his mother’s feelings.  Fortunately this time MiRae is there and HJun does not hold it in (to add to her already considerable stress load) and they can talk it out.  Watch MiRae’s reaction to this too, especially her eyes.  HJun’s offer to help MiRae when her time comes is in keeping with her dedication to her best friend, as her “big sister”, and her background as a professional advocate.  Although the mention of the word "marriage" may set MiRae's teeth on-edge again.

AND NOW IT’S TIME FOR THE EPISODE 33 AWARD CEREMONY:

Boyfriend of the Year: Lee Hyun Jae, Atty at Law.  He knows that MiRae needs a sounding board badly and he’s there to support her, twice in this episode alone.  It was interesting that she deflected his question if Marriage shocked her, and she didn’t give him a straight answer. (BTW - I wish my celfone worked in an elevator; Seoul’s celfone service makes ours in LA look crappy).

Most interesting scene:  When Grandpa says he’ll invite MiRae’s Paternal Grandma to the wedding.  Thus setting up a potential scene where MiRae winds up running into her at the wedding!

Most SMH scene:  HJun, as she tries to be cheery in talking to KA while inviting her to lunch (for the dreaded Dowry conversation).  But KA’s dismissive attitude on the phone really breaks my heart. 

Comeback of the Year Award:  YuNa, who is getting her life on track and proceeding with the occupation she desired in a supportive work environment. 

Best Quote:  YuNa’s new boss telling her “Going from a friend to a boyfriend, then breaking up. You end up losing a friend and also someone you love.”

On pins & needles for Ep 34 (You know why!)

Goodnight from Southern California

Episode 34 “Love me”

(sorry for the lateness of this review, it’s been a heckuva week here…most of this was written on the 27th, but I just now finished it on the 30th)

Well Team HaeJae, this was the one we were waiting for, and it didn’t disappoint.  It took them 34 episodes, but we were invited to a wonderful wedding, which I’ll save for last.

This episode had SO MUCH in it, I’m not sure how to review it and keep the word count at a reasonable level.  I’ll give it a shot:

Complaint Dept:  I’ve never done this before with this series, but the scene cuts between the grieving Hyun’s to the Brother-in-law meeting were jarring to say the least.  Uncomfortable is a better word.  I get that the director is trying to show us the contrasts in life, but we’re human beings too, and this was really hard to watch.  I would have expected better from the Director that brought us “Great King Sejong”, which IMO is the best TV drama ever done, on any network, in any country. 

Also, it would have been interesting to see the funeral customs in Korea.  And the full wedding ceremony as well (time permitting).  I’m curious how their customs vary from my own.

OK, enough whining, on to the show:

The Hyun’s

The death of Grandma Mi was pretty emotional, and handled pretty honestly.  I’m not sure how to comment on this; the toll it’s taken on MiRae’s mom has been pretty heavy. I don’t remember seeing her eat for several days during this episode.  PYJ’s makeup was done really well to depict the toll the stress has taken on her.  Her family has gathered around to support her, but she seems, as the Evil Aunt surmised, almost detached from them.  And Auntie has departed back from Australia with some valid suggestions for Soo Jung, whether or not she takes them to heart is another matter.

But her heart has finally softened for HJ and we can now look forward to a formal visit to the Hyun house next week.  This should be interesting.  More marriage pressure for MiRae, or will this validate HJ’s belief they need to wait a year after her Marriage Cancellation was approved by the Court?

The Lee’s

During the Brother in Law diner, it was interesting to see the interaction between HJun & SooJae, and HJ again had to bail out to support the grieving MiRae this time.  It was funny to see her (a fairly traditional girl) admonish YJ for being old-fashioned “I can put up with a dolt…. but I can’t put up with an oldie.”  It’s pretty clear that he’ll be content to let her call the shots in the relationship, which is kind of a shame, since she really does appreciate it when he decides to take the lead in matters and she can back off.  Oh, and by the way, YJ, “Diamonds ARE a girl’s best friend”.  Don’t EVER bring up Zircon to the woman in your life.  By the way, are there any more chilling words than YJ saying “I made some more investments”? Oh man, that’s right up there with “I’m telling you the Titanic is unsinkable”.

The reprise of the elevator scene was one of those white knuckle rides….WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG????  But the writers set it up with almost the same camera angles from the first ride, and between HJun kidding KA and trying to get close to her, to flattering KA on her looks, this time, this trip up memory lane ended well.  Their lunch (to discuss dowry gifts) was civil and KA’s heart seemed to melt when HJun simply asked in lieu of gifts that KA love her as a daughter in law.  GOOD GIRL.  TEACH YOUR PROSPECTIVE GROOM HOW TO TALK TO HIS MOM.

YJ’s visit home, where he 1) encounters KA’s return from the Dowry meeting, 2) meets with his Grandpa to return his wedding gift, and 3) has lunch with his Dad, was maybe the most emotional set of scenes we’ve seen for his character.  He finally does make an effective talk with his mom regarding HJun’s character (then teases her, of course), almost comes to tears in returning Grandpa’s wedding cash, and has a heart felt talk with his Dad on the verge of his marriage.  This last scene was one of the most moving among male characters in the series and certainly the most emotional for both father and eldest son.  MinHo doesn’t realize YJ will be there at least twice a week picking up food from KA, LOL.

The wedding dress scene was reminiscent of YuNa’s fitting scene.  Except the dress shown for HaeJun was breath-taking!  I would have felt a bell-line skirt would not be good for a bride her age, but HOLY MOLY she looked fantastic!  Of course the ever un-helpful sister in law (who is well-past getting on HJun’s nerves thanks to a previous meeting in her office where HJun basically told her to shut up and just go to the wedding) vetoes that dress for a more traditional outfit with a draped skirt.  That did not have the embroidered neckline that the first dress did.  YJ’s facial reaction alone told you what dress should have been picked.  But things get much worse from there.  Her chiding them to not let anyone from a funeral attend the wedding crushes MiRae, infuriates HJun and shocks YJ.  You could see in the eyes of HJun that she knew she was going to have to fight to get her best friend to the wedding. 

Up next is the plan to get MiRae to the wedding.  After getting her mother’s OK to attend, she still turns down HJun citing her reluctance to cause any bad luck to occur.  This sets in motion a plan involving HJun, KA, YJ, HJ and back to HJun again to finally convince her to go for no other reason than to catch the bouquet.  (The second meeting of the show between KA & HJun to get KA’s approval for MiRae to attend was really touching and shows the growth of the relationship between these 2 alpha-females.  HJun has realized that she needs to be subservient to her future Mother in Law, and now with their roles established, things start clicking between them.)  Suddenly the reluctant MiRae agrees and with the addition of good ol’ fashioned salt-dousing of HJ by his Great-Aunt, we’re good to go!  YAYYYYY!

The Wedding:  Deona Hotel Grand Ballroom, July 30, 2022 5PM

You are cordially invited.......

It’s funny, this set of scenes, lasting less than 10 minutes at the end of the episode was so well done and detailed, it actually looked and felt like a real wedding.  The attention to detail (again) was spot on, for instance:

• The little girls in their wedding dresses
  • Hyperactive kids
  • Family members gathering for the first time in one place (have we ever seen MinHo with ManRi in one scene together, even though they live in the same building but on different floors?)
  • I guess MiRae’s paternal grandma did not attend due to her attending the funeral earlier in the week.  Too bad, opportunity for plot twist was lost when she couldn’t run into MiRae.
  • The ladies all made up and rushing in from the salon.
  • The Bridal Suite
  • SoRa was on fire!
  • The look of the Grand Ballroom at the Deona Hotel.

I can’t wait for the behind the scenes segment for this shoot on the KBS YouTube channel. 

Between the setting, the meticulous details, and the mood of the actors, it really DID feel like a real wedding!  And although we didn’t get to see the ceremony itself (do Korean Weddings have a wedding party beyond the bride and groom?) we got the money shot that we have all waited for, as the OST spun up the soaring last stanza of “This Love” once again and we saw the bride take her handsome groom’s arm and walk back down the aisle as Husband and Wife. (As I write this, that clip on YouTube has over 45,000 views in less than one week!  I may have accounted for a few thousand of those alone!)

Favorite details:  Her dress (the revised one previously unseen), looked great too with its train and veil trailing.  An entranced KA seeing them walk past (THANK GOD), MinHo noticing this and interrupting his applause to hold KA’s hand as if to say “we did it!” The lukewarm applause of the sister in law was not appreciated but her brother at least saluted them. This was happily drowned out by the applause at the family table ( a wonderful pan shot).  And finally, in a storm of confetti and streamers the bride and groom reach the end of the walkway and we see everyone clapping and smiling.  What a happy night, and all accomplished in less than 3 weeks!  And we ended with a heart-warming shot with HJ looking at MiRae as they both finally realize that they are next, errant bouquet toss be dammed!

And with that, dancing and dinner will commence

Ep 35  “It’s not an award ceremony!”

Well that was a strange one.

The writer gives HaeJae fans a pregnancy promise, then yanks it away, and ends up with a talk on adoption.  Obviously, just because they failed during their first week of marriage means little, the upcoming fertility test will tell the tale.  But they wouldn’t have mentioned adoption without a reason.  Given this show’s history of adoption-related themes, I’d lay odds that they will adopt in the future.  This would enable them to have a child before the end of the show without a jump in the timeline.

Their scenes had so many sweet moments: 

• YJ running, Forrest-Gump style to find a 24hr pharmacy for the EPT. 
  • HaeJun counting backwards on her calendar. 
  • YJ peeking around the bathroom door.  
  • The countdown to looking at the test kit window. 
  • And finally YJ standing up in disbelief, holding his head in his hands before happily hugging HaeJun. 

And of course, the ecstatic reaction when Grandpa, KA and MinHo find out and ignite the family grapevine with the news.

Naturally, this all ends with heartbreak.  And then the adoption conversation in the car as he tries to comfort and reassure her.  This scene was beautifully shot and lit.  Watch his face again, how the light plays on it.  The Directors of Photography and Lighting have done great jobs with in-car shoots before (think of the return from the police station after SJ’s crisis-line call) and knock it out of the park again.  Visually, everything in that scene including the color of their clothes complementing the color of the car interior was perfect. 

The Hyun’s

Why is it that MiRae’s mom, who is surrounded by a devoted husband and loving children such a loner?  It drives me nuts to see her repeatedly haunted by demons and sitting alone, lost in her thoughts.  Is she mentally ill?  Why do the kids just leave her be?  This poor woman needs counseling so badly.  SMH.

YuNa

It’s been a long time since we’ve seen more than lip service paid to her. YuNa hasn’t been much more than a bit player since KA told her to get lost.  But beginning with this episode, she has now returned (it gets better in the next ep).  It’s hard to not feel for her, and she is my 2nd favorite female character.  She is much more defined and complex than MiRae.  Yes, she was a participant in the scam, but she was a victim as well.  Her conscience led to the scam’s end, yet this seems to be forgotten by KA, who she must win over.  So we now see her tied to JungHoo while still clearly having feelings for SJ.  Her look at him as a janitor pretty much said everything.  Although JungHoo might be the better fit, she still loves SJ.   I do believe she will eventually reunite with him, with JungHoo winding up in the Friend Zone.  How all this shakes out for her, will be her story for the remainder of the series. 

And finally, Mr. Perfect and MiRae. 

As usual, HJ does everything right, with nary a hair out of place.  I assume in his spare time from being an undefeatable lawyer, he’s developed cold fusion, perpetual motion, and stopped economic inflation in the USA.  YSY is such a good actor and is really good at playing characters with flaws, that it’s a real waste to see him stuck being this unrealistic, idealized boyfriend.  He does everything right at MiRae's parents house luncheon, impressing crusty ol' Grandma.  He does everything right in his proposal, gets the girl, has fun at an indoor obstacle course and also at an outdoor amusement park.  PLEASE WRITER, give him an edge!  Take him down a notch or two and make him human.  It would be good for MiRae’s character development too, and get her out of his considerable shadow.  Because she’s once again devolving into HJ’s girlfriend (now fiancée) and nothing more.  Every other character in this show has flaws, and realistically so.  But not him.  I can only assume the writer has fallen in love with the character too.  What a shame.  Give YSY something he can sink his teeth into. 

There is whitewater ahead for them, but fear not, HJ will save the day.  He can't fail.  And that's the problem.  

“….realistically so.  But not him.  I can only assume the writer has fallen in love with the character too.  What a shame.  Give YSY something he can sink his teeth into.

There is whitewater ahead for them, but fear not, HJ will save the day.  He can't fail.  And that's the problem“

You know, I don’t think I realized how much it bothered me, but it does. You’re right… he is Mr. Perfect. And yes, he’s the main lead but even those have flaws sometimes… not him. I do like him a lot, but I would love to see him more relatable. 

MinaM:

“….realistically so.  But not him.  I can only assume the writer has fallen in love with the character too.  What a shame.  Give YSY something he can sink his teeth into.

There is whitewater ahead for them, but fear not, HJ will save the day.  He can't fail.  And that's the problem“

You know, I don’t think I realized how much it bothered me, but it does. You’re right… he is Mr. Perfect. And yes, he’s the main lead but even those have flaws sometimes… not him. I do like him a lot, but I would love to see him more relatable. 

so that's how people react on high standard level persons. 

I see the same pattern on mirae's mother. she is a high standard level person. she watch everything she says and does because she is very aware of her impact on other people's lives. her only issue here is that she is affraid that mirae is going to suffer because mirae is alike herself and she already know that the world can be a scary place.

and what you say is exactly what mirae's grandma said to her mother: "you being perfect made me walk on eggshells. I am uncomfortable because you are too bright."

if mirae grows well, she will be a high standard person too: for now she is not aware of her own value yet.

hyunjae was protected by a strong family, his job made him have a lot of experience about life and people, he grew fast. he could grow fast because he experienced a lot while being in a secured place. he knows his value very well. and he makes people uncomfortable because he is too bright.

has everyone flaws? yes, of course. just to say: in the beginning of the show hyunjae was supposed to be selfish because he quit his parent's house to live by himself. but, after a while, I suppose everybody was able to understand why he quit... he was supposed to have cleaning mental issue because his house is too clean... but I suppose people understand him better now... flaws are flaws in the same way qualities are qualities.

Do people always react like that in front of a seemingly perfect person? Yes... being close to a perfect person just highlights other people’s flaws and their meaninglessness, so they end up being angry or uncomfortable.

so...
just suck it, people!

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”

HyunJae is perfectly fine as he is. He is loved by viewers, including me, precisely because of how good his character is, so why deliberately wish for his character to change for the worse? To match the more flawed characters in the show? That’s not fair I think. Even if I like HyunJae and Mirae the best, I’m rooting for all the  characters, not just them.

I love MiRae too as she is. She is tough but in a gentle way. Her gentle, generous and kind nature is the perfect fit for HyunJae’s bold personality.

And re YSY, I’m sure he accepted the role because he liked the script and the character of HyunJae. Playing a flawed character is not necessary for an actor to shine. An actor shows how good of an actor he is by how well he gets the emotions of the character across, it does not have to be an over-the-top or uber dramatic role. And YSY is doing very, very well  in this show, be it comedic, serious or romantic scenes. And I can imagine that from an actor’s point of view, they would want a variety of genres, not always the dark, flawed characters.

Besides the latest preview shows heavier scenes coming for YSY. But be it heavy or light, funny, romantic scenes, YSY is a joy to watch, nothing to fix at all!

“Besides the latest preview shows heavier scenes coming for YSY. But be it heavy or light, funny, romantic scenes, YSY is a joy to watch”

Tbh, I’m looking forward to those scenes, even if they’re going to be painful. I do like Hyun Jae a lot, but I don’t think I had realized just how perfectly his character is written. 

I do think YSY is a fantastic actor and maybe that’s why I want to see more sides of this character though.