Well, "cute" little math tells me I see quite big money coming to the site, while all the actual work on the site is done by these "contributors" FOR FREE (read: for virtual coins, with which they can purchase virtual flowers like fools). I can't help hearing BIG laugh of someone behind all this, making many people fools:))

buying coins seems pointless imo it's more like a popularity contest (don't we have the "heart" icon on every actor's page already? I wonder why they didn't list all the actors with that instead) anyways if I'm gonna spend my money on this site I might as well just buy VIP status, at least I'll still get coins with it

Sunset:

buying coins seems pointless imo it's more like a popularity contest (don't we have the "heart" icon on every actor's page already? I wonder why they didn't list all the actors with that instead) anyways if I'm gonna spend my money on this site I might as well just buy VIP status, at least I'll still get coins with it

Yep. It strikes me as a very well thought out workaround to increase revenue for the site. Many fans who may not buy VIP will likely buy coins. I'm fine with that, the site needs money to function, but I bought VIP instead, with the coins being a bonus.

You contribute when you add or edit drama pages.

mang:

Hmm that's weird. I recently started editing a bit  and it says on my page that I have 53 edits but I don't have any coins at all

The same thing has been happening to me, but they are there if you checked your transactions. You should try and buy something and see if it works.

Sunset:

Yeah, where is the list of actors with the most hearts? It must be there somewhere.

Valentina:

You contribute when you add or edit drama pages. 

https://mydramalist.com/discussions/support/17285-guidelines-for-submitting-new-dramas-movies-and-actors

I added and edited drama pages and my submissions were approved but I didn't receive any coins. Does making contribution to MDL actually earn coins???

Serenity149:

I added and edited drama pages and my submissions were approved but I didn't receive any coins. Does making contribution to MDL actually earn coins???

Yes, it works, but 1 contribution point does not equal 1 coin, moreover both contribution points and coins update something like once a day so you won't be able to see them immediately. To check how many coins you have received for your edits you can go to https://mydramalist.com/coins/transactions 

Yes. try to give flowers to an actor (one is enough), then go to your profile page, and it should show you how many coins you have

@lucy_lu and @Sara: thank you for your response! I will check that. 

Does adding/posting pictures to a drama page on MyDramaList count as a contribution?

No, it does not. posting is not the same as editing.

Editing is really simple.

Just like if you want to edit a drama/movie page, click "edit this page" on the right-top of the page and add edit the details. Then at the end  ' additional notes' enter the sources of where u got the information, so they know it is reliable. adding a person or a show is considered editing.