So i started watching a new SK drama called Binggoo a second ago and in the first 10 minutes I already had a question. I'm not native to South Korea and therefore are not aware of the history, so to quench my curiosity can some one answer me this: Why were the young men in 1979 with long hair being mobbed by police men and forcefully getting hair cut? 
Edit: Am I right to assume its an indecency thing, kinda like the short skirts and stuff? Maybe I'm just being ignorant or oblivious, but what changed from the respectability of long hair and top knots you see in historical to long hair being shunned in the 1970s? Or is it a military thing? Cause soldiers shave their head and after the war long hair wasn't as... manly... Not the word I want but you get me?
Link to drama: http://mydramalist.com/22083-binggoo
During that time, Korea was under a military dictatorship headed by Park Chung-hee, the father of the disgraced former president Park Geun-hye.  He placed many restrictions on the people, banning long hair on men and mini-skirts on women. I heard he even went so far as to ban rock music. As far as I know, it was all done in the name of "public order."