Luo Shiyi Niang agreed to marry XU Lingyi because she thought the murderer is inside the XU mansion. 

I have two theories

1)If the screenwriter has a good detective style of writing, the murderer is not from XU mansion because in the scene shown it's impossible for any of the concubine to do it because of their location. There is a steep stairs that they have to take and there are several government authorities during that time because they are looking for the pirate who escaped during episode 1. I think the killer might be influential so she would have a hard time getting the justice she's seeking.

2.)if the writer insist to go against reason just to have a killer from XU mansion then the article I've read might be true. The quiet ones are really the most dangerous. 

Your thoughts?

I think it’s the FL stepmom. 

I suspected too of FL stepmother. It's what she said to FL after her mother died that I think it is her. 

She also seemed to know something before the murder as well. It's a little obvious, but there is also the fact the family was quick to close the case. 

My other suspect is her elder sister, but it seems a little more far fetched.

Maybe you are right. But I remember the main wife is in the mansion with her while she's being checked out by Madam Wang and when she arrived in the temple her mom is already missing and possibly dead since she didn't see her on her way to the temple.

And logically Madam Luo have better used of FL's mom being alive because she can be held hostage if they were caught. While now because of the death she have no hold on the FL anymore if she runs away again. So I personally think she is evil but not murderous.

Well if it's the step mom she wouldn't do the deed herself. It would be someone she hired. So she wouldn't need to be physically present. 

There is also the Sea Bann. I am not clear on the politics, but it might have something to do with that too. 

I thinkkk... 

1) concubine qin

2) amber

3) madam xu

I liked amber alot though but cant help but felt somewhat hostile against her. 

I think the member of pirates meet someone who is influential. And her mother accidently hear something she should not hear that's why she was killed. 

@kyrie

1. She has motives but Dongqing is at the foot of the stairs of the temple so she should have noticed her. In the scene before that she is also with Madam Tai and the other concubines are praying inside. So when did she have the opportunity to go down and up the stairs without being seen. As a concubine she can't go too far away.

2.If she's doing it for Madam Luo she would probably just drag her to the mansion and her dresses doesn't match with the fabric her mother has. I hope she's also not the killer because it's one less support for shiyi

3. Which Madam XU? If the one beside madam Luo same analysis with Amber . If you mean Madam Tai quite impossible because she has no motive and yizhen is always with her.

Well the clue is a piece of fabric that isn't to expensive but not too cheap. I think this means it was either a high ranking servant, or concubine. 

Amber is suspicious, but I doubt she is a murderer. More likely she told Big Madam that they had plans to flee. Because she was place with the FL as a spy. 

I sometimes wonder if it was Nanny, but she would have only done it under orders. She doesn't have a person reason to commit the crime. 

It's so early in the show, we don't know a lot about the Xu women. I feel like there are so many more secrets yet to be told.

Since i dont like detective stories, whoever the killer as long as my ML and FL has smooth relationship and no misunderstanding.... I thought it is related to concubine wen (the childless one)? Read it somewhere before the show aired but dunno if its reliable.

@leji you mean aunt Qin? Because she's the childless one in the series. I think we read the same article. She has the motives but when did she have the opportunity?

@me_lovedrama that's one of my theory. It can be related to sea ban. And we are not sure if the killer is a woman because embroidered dress are also worn by men that time.

Who benefits from the Sea Ban? We know the ML wants to lift it. There is the concubine who is from the merchant family. She wouldn't want it lifted if her family is making a lot of money off of it.  In addition her son is competing with the Main Wife's son so she would be motivated to keep more Shi woman from joining the family. 

But how would she know that they would be there?

There are also the officials (whose names I don't know yet). They are always fighting about the ban.