SPECIAL NOTE: Some news sites and blogs are calling what Attorney Woo Young Woo experienced in this episode as "an uncontrollable panic attack", this is FALSE.

The episode itself explained in the next scene that she had a major sensory overload which led to a sudden meltdown.

A panic attack and a meltdown (due to sensory overload) are two vastly different situations.

1. phone calls

Some say Attorney Woo Young Woo is stereotypical, I beg to differ, many--probably most--autistics doesn't like making and/or receiving phone calls.

While this is not an autistic quirk per se, there are many neurotypicals who also doesn't like making and/or receiving phone calls, for autistics it's the pressure, anxiety, how we process it, and how it disturbs our routine. It's something that we are not prepared about.

2. jokes - late reaction

I've been waiting for this. How they depicted it is exactly how many autistics process a joke. When Young Woo said something about "rhymes", it was because she had to find a pattern to make sense of it and she found they rhymes. There are autistics who eventually learn how to process jokes faster, and many are good at masking it. Personally, I found ways to mask my late reactions (or the fact that I did not understand the joke) but it's not perfect and if I'm part of the conversation, it's more obvious (and I'll be teased about my late reaction -- and that's fine with me, but not for some).

3. Joon Ho is very patient and knows how to talk to Young Woo

Be like Joon Ho. He is very patient and understanding. Not much to say here, I just want to emphasize how he communicates with Young Woo.

4. Young Woo being observant

She caught the finger heart where no one else did. She sees the little things. Many autistics are like that. I can't explain it, it just is. It is also attributed to hyper sensitivity of our senses (in this case sight).

5. Young Woo telling her father that having a support system available when she needs one would be ideal

This is true, specially for those without an official diagnosis. 99.99% of the time, in any country, autism support is only provided to those with an official diagnosis.

In many countries, there are discrimination, prejudice, stigma about autism that many autistics choose not to get an official diagnosis. In many countries, getting an official diagnosis is expensive too--in other words those with an official diagnosis have financial support one way or another, if you can't reserve money for a diagnosis, you are left alone to learning things the hard way.

The flawed system of "no official diagnosis = no support" combined with the expensive fees, discrimination, prejudice, stigma, is gatekeeping the support needed by many autistics.

Not because an autistic can "function" in the neurotypical society does it mean they will never need support. Sometimes there are little things that an autistic will need support but this discriminatory support system that we have in many countries today is blocking that. It needs and must change.

6. Figuratively speaking

Nicely portrayed. In addition to that, it was good Young Woo immediately caught on it because her usage of whales when she's trying to explain things is the same. Metaphors are a powerful tool for many autistics, not only when an autistic tries to explain things but also when talking to autistics.

7. Korean sign language news report

Not every news, even in a fake news in K-dramas, have a sign language translator on screen. For a show advocating about autism and conditions, this was a nice touch (maybe it was a real news broadcast too). Even how the camera slowly zoomed in to the TV screen while keeping the sign language translator on the screen, I think was intentional.

Again, a very nice touch.

8. Meltdown due to sensory overload

Yeah, finally they showed a meltdown. There are many ways an autistic expresses meltdowns, do not assume what was depicted is the same for every autistic. What was shown was an example of a meltdown, something that many neurotypicals misunderstand a lot.

There are also many causes of a meltdown and in this episode it demonstrated one such cause: sensory overload.

This is different from "shock" or "trauma". In this particular scenario, Young Woo was not shocked, she reached a point wherein she can no longer take any information, her mind started to process far too many inputs beyond her limits.

As I've mentioned before in the early episodes, sensory sensitivity and sensory overload is a common trait (or quirk) of autistics. It is so common that it is very hard to find an autistic without some form of sensory sensitivity or never experienced sensory overload at least once in their life.

In Young Woo's case, she was already worried when they saw the jerk on the other side of the street. That was the start of everything. Then the accident created a very, very, very, very, LOUD noise.

That close to the accident (loud sudden sound) + anxiety already building up (PedXing scene) + her sensory sensitivities already spiking + the fact someone may have died (first time seeing it too) + her mind suddenly processing a lot of information and checking her "what is socially acceptable to do" checklist = meltdown.

BONUS: Young Woo: "Tighter"

Do not mistake what was explained in this episode--hugging tightly helps relieve sensory overload--to be the be-all-end-all. Many autistics doesn't want to be touched and when one is having a meltdown, the "no touching rule" gets very strong (hint: touching is sensory).

As was explained in the episode, "pressure". This is similar to what I explained in the earlier episodes where many autistics use weighted blankets. It's called "deep pressure" therapy.

This is yet another point against the claim that Attorney Woo Young Woo is stereotypical … many autistics having a meltdown doesn't want to be touched and many parents with autistic kids more likely than not have experienced this many times. If Young Woo is a stereotypical character, she would've pushed Joon Ho away instead of asking him to hug her tighter … three times.

It just so happen that Young Woo is an autistic adult who have learned things the hard way (without any support other than from her father). She was aware she needs "deep pressure" therapy at that moment and the "no touching rule" can be thrown out the window in favour of calming down. ALSO, it was Joon Ho not a stranger, it was someone she loves. She's comfortable with him already, they even kissed!

Again there are too many factors to consider. Her sensory overload at that moment was not particularly centered on touch. All these things considered--in that particular scenario--she can easily ignore the "no touching rule".

In other words, it is not the hug per se but the "deep pressure" therapy. And if hugging is the only option, try to wrap clothes or blankets around before hugging the person … specially if they have touch sensitivity (or their meltdown was caused by it).

NOTE: this is about autism. There are other disorders that experiences sensory overload, they more likely experience and process it differently. For example: PTSD, OCD, and ADHD.

Some perspective. I think I already shared this before: when I'm having a meltdown, I primarily shutdown. When I'm about to or having a sensory overload, I run away from what's causing it.

Examples:

When my coping mechanisms fail while I'm inside a supermarket or department store, I'll start to have a sensory overload. I will quickly run away if I can but imagine if I'm alone, say in a supermarket, I can not just leave the stuff I'm buying. Eventually I will enter "overload" stage and that's the precursor to a meltdown. One of my last resort is withdrawing from the world and one way is to play a loud music on my ears, I need to tune out the world completely. I personally do not like this method because my reaction time to other factors, say danger, is going to drop dramatically. But I have no choice. I have to pick between safety and avoiding a meltdown.

Another example, party. Malls. Concerts. Conventions. All of these have a huge crowd, loud sounds, far too many people talking at the same time. Far too many things happening everywhere. The next thing you know (if you're with me), I'm already having a meltdown. I shutdown. I'm completely overwhelmed. Think of a person going through a meltdown in the form of a shutdown as a wandering zombie. I'm there. Walking. Eating. Listening to you talk. And I'm only answering back with "yes" or "no" or "uhh". If I'm comfortable with you, I'll tell you that we should go somewhere where there are few people, usually a wide open area like a simple outdoor parking space where I can count cars and do people-watching. You'll notice it immediately once I've calmed down (and if I still have energy left of course).

And honestly, this is one of the challenges in my relationships. I wouldn't be surprised if Young Woo and Joon Ho starts to experience these challenges too. It will definitely test a neurotypical's patience and understanding.

Again, I do not speak for the autistic community. I am only trying to explain things, mainly coming from my own experience, and the experience of other autistics who shared their stories and complaints.

No two autistics are the same; and autism is four-dimensional.

Follow me!

I totally noticed the Korean sign language interpreter as well! I actually went back to make sure that I saw it right, and I was soooo pleased when it was right! I also loved the scene where he is applying pressure. I have rewatched that scene a few times, and it really warms my heart.

SPECIAL NOTE: Some news sites and blogs are calling what Attorney Woo Young Woo experienced in this episode as "an uncontrollable panic attack", this is FALSE.

The episode itself explained in the next scene that she had a major sensory overload which led to a sudden meltdown.

A panic attack and a meltdown (due to sensory overload) are two vastly different situations.

logikitty:
I also loved the scene where he is applying pressure. I have rewatched that scene a few times, and it really warms my heart.

Yep, they could've done it in other ways but came up with that. It was very touching. She needed support at that moment and her knight in shining armor gave her that support.

It blends well with the previous scene where she explained to her father that there were times when a support is very much welcome but there is no one she can talk to, she has to learn things the hard way. Then it was followed by the scene wherein her father saw them kissing passionately. It's practically telling him "dad, I found my support [you don't have to think about sending me to America]".

thank you once again for your feedback on this episode!! wishing you all the best :)

I relate so hard to number 1, social anxiety makes phone calls (especially phone calls where I don't know the script, so to speak?) super difficult. I screen all calls these days unless it's family.