Homosexuality was until very recently illegal in China, and still taboo. Gay novels with graphic scenes aren't forbidden and very popular sometimes, but as soon as these novels get adapted to the screen, the BL turns to bromance. The changes are made by the producers themselves who want to ensure their drama will pass the censorship by the government. The writers though are very creative in showing the audience a glimpse of the real BL in certain signs that the fandom will recognize. These Easter eggs are everywhere to be found if you know how to look in censored drama.

In Word of Honor there's an odd scene with a cut-sleeve reference. Also we see the two leading men roasting two pancakes together referring to a chinese saying that they have a very close relationship. 

What do you think about this cat-and-mouse game with the authorities? And did you find some other Easter eggs as well?

The shaobing scene...........

Which episode was that?

Oh, thank you!! I've not yet seen this episode.

That's great, thank you for the links. I enjoy their scenes more that way! The only thing that is bothering me is the censor committee. Sometimes series are banned or changed just because of small references like this, even as innocent as they are. Let's wait and see.

Apple Eye:

Which episode was that?

Ep 2 at the end where they are flirt-fighting and ah xiang is heating up the shaobing and keeps looking from them to the shaobing......

Yes! The pancake scene :P

Apple Eye:

Homosexuality was until very recently illegal in China, and still taboo. Gay novels with graphic scenes aren't forbidden and very popular sometimes, but as soon as these novels get adapted to the screen, the BL turns to bromance. The changes are made by the producers themselves who want to ensure their drama will pass the censorship by the government. The writers though are very creative in showing the audience a glimpse of the real BL in certain signs that the fandom will recognize. These Easter eggs are everywhere to be found if you know how to look in censored drama.

In Word of Honor there's an odd scene with a cut-sleeve reference. Also we see the two leading men roasting two pancakes together referring to a chinese saying that they have a very close relationship. 

What do you think about this cat-and-mouse game with the authorities? And did you find some other Easter eggs as well?

Doesn't ZZS also cut off WKX's sleeve in return at a later point? I can't remember the exact moment or episode, but I'm going to start rewatching soon, so I'll come back and specify it. 

lol I'm sure I haven't seen that yet! *waits patiently*

Joryenai:

My mistake....@Saffy88 was referring to this scene in episode 2:  Shaobing

While I was talking about this youtiao reference in episode 13:  Youtiao 

Sorry....I got my carbs mixed up....lol

Awww, the Youtiao scene is very romantic. It makes me think of the lyrics of Now I'm Here from Queen. 

"I'm just a new man. Yes you made me live again (...) when you took my hand and the light of the night burned bright. The people all stared, didn't understand, but you knew my name on site ."  

Apple Eye:

Awww, the Youtiao scene is very romantic. It makes me think of the lyrics of Now I'm Here from Queen. 

"I'm just a new man. Yes you made me live again (...) when you took my hand and the light of the night burned bright. The people all stared, didn't understand, but you knew my name on site ."  

Youtiao?!! Something to look forward to - LOL - I have to wait for subbed episodes so haven't seen 13 yet..........youku should really do a VIP advance release - big sigh. 

Apple Eye:

That's great, thank you for the links. I enjoy their scenes more that way! The only thing that is bothering me is the censor committee. Sometimes series are banned or changed just because of small references like this, even as innocent as they are. Let's wait and see.

I think by now the series should be safe - it's already racing to the finish line on the chinese youku site right? Although wonder if the buzz from this will affect upcoming BL dramas like the one with Arthur Chen and Leo Luo - but presumably that production is prepared for the scrutiny since they seem to have promoted that one more.  If only China could become more comfortable with its "soft power" exerted through its entertainment/arts industry instead of trying to control and clamp down on everything.