hi all!

nirvana in fire was the chinese drama , a couple of years ago, that sucked me into c-dramas. (Untamed was the other one later)

i would like to ask those here, who are watching both , K-Dramas and C-Dramas, if there are any korean dramas, that are having a similar story or plotlines such as NIF?

honestly, i am trying to get into k-dramas, since c-dramas have been ähhh recently idk, not evoking any enthusiasm in me any more. (with very few exceptions. ) 

but for k-dramas, the only one i liked so far, is reborn rich.

queen of tears seems to be highly rated and acclaimed, but i cannot get into it.

thus, never watched a historical k-drama before, and i thought, if there is anything like NIF , with that sort of pacing and dramatics, and actors, who are not necessarily idols or superpretty, but just... well you know, older and more mature, it might work?

thanks!

The first Kdrama that came to mind is Six Flying Dragons. I loved both dramas, but I don't think Six Flying Dragons is as tightly-plotted as NiF, though.

I haven't watched many sageuks myself yet (I have plenty I *intend* to watch of course...) and likewise I started off watching c-dramas (both Nirvana in Fire and The Untamed are my all-time favourites along with Joy of Life). My enthusiasm has dropped off for them too in recent years but I'll admit there's been some amazing c-dramas so far this year.

Someone who is more of an avid sageuk fan might come along but in the meantime - 

Six Flying Dragons and Tree With Deep Roots

The Empress Ki

The Moon Embracing the Sun

Korea-Khitan War

Under the Queen's Umbrella

Kinda trying to find the time to watch History of the Salaryman, The Legend and Secret Door too. 

kura2ninja:

The first Kdrama that came to mind is Six Flying Dragons. I loved both dramas, but I don't think Six Flying Dragons is as tightly-plotted as NiF, though.

thank you very much, i will def go, dl, and give this a try.

LotusRayne:

I haven't watched many sageuks myself yet (I have plenty I *intend* to watch of course...) and likewise I started off watching c-dramas (both Nirvana in Fire and The Untamed are my all-time favourites along with Joy of Life). My enthusiasm has dropped off for them too in recent years but I'll admit there's been some amazing c-dramas so far this year.

Someone who is more of an avid sageuk fan might come along but in the meantime - 

Six Flying Dragons and Tree With Deep Roots

The Empress Ki

The Moon Embracing the Sun

Korea-Khitan War

Kinda trying to find the time to watch History of the Salaryman, The Legend and Secret Door too. 

thank you very much, will put these on my dl queue.

yeah, well, not saying, c-dramas went boring, but i guess, everything will be jaded after a couple of years. 

there are a few dramas that i am about as excited as for JOL2, that would be the New Jin Yong Wuxia Universe and Dashing Youth, otherwise all those 3 S-dramas that most people are so anticipating , that fox spirit matchmaker trilogy, isnt actually evoking much excitement from me. sure enough, i will peek into them, but if its turned out to be rather boring , no harm done, then i drop.

well, maybe at some point, if k-drama isnt doing it for me as well and C-dramas is also in a neverending loop of repeating old wuxia xianxia cliches, i might as well return to US television shows. I used to be nearly 35 yrs ago, fan of Star Trek TNG , DS9 and Voyager, as well a bunch of other US sci fi series in the 90, when i was a teenager (fantasy as well, Xena and Hercules and a bunch of other stuff were marvelous, or the ICON of the 90s, the X-files). my geek friends are saying, the newest ST Discovery is actually quite amazing.

emeraldarrows:

The Princess's Man 

Rebel: Thief Who Stole the People

thank you very much, i will put these on my dl queue too!

wow, uff, 50 eps, thats a challenge! even the ep count is on the same level as NIF!

off to download!

thanks again for all here, who were suggesting dramas!

I'm actually watching the second season of Nirvana in Fire:

Nirvana in Fire Season 2: The Wind Blows in Chang Lin

These Nirvana in Fire cdramas are on a totally different level than most cdrama palace dramas. The story is much better and thought out, and the production quality, from cinematography, soundscore and acting of course.

For kdrama only a few stand out in this serious political cut-throat palace drama category in my mind.

Empress Ki
Queen Seon Deok
Six Flying Dragons

not perfect match, but still heavy palace dramas:

Dong Yi
Jewel in the Palace

Arthdal Chronicles Part 1: The Children of Prophecy

although more of a fantasy kdrama, it does have a heavy power struggle element.

ArniA:

I'm actually watching the second season of Nirvana in Fire:

Nirvana in Fire Season 2: The Wind Blows in Chang Lin

These Nirvana in Fire cdramas are on a totally different level than most cdrama palace dramas. The story is much better and thought out, and the production quality, from cinematography, soundscore and acting of course.

For kdrama only a few stand out in this serious political cut-throat palace drama category in my mind.

Empress Ki
Queen Seon Deok
Six Flying Dragons

not perfect match, but still heavy palace dramas:

Dong Yi
Jewel in the Palace

Arthdal Chronicles Part 1: The Children of Prophecy

although more of a fantasy kdrama, it does have a heavy power struggle element.

very true enough, NIF 1 and 2, are a class of its own.i guess its of course, also partially because of the stellar cast (and so far, no idols where the fanbase could go on crazy fanwars? i mean, sure, Hu Ge was 20 years ago, some idol, but i guess in 2015, filming NIF1, after his devasting accident, he wasnt an idol anymore. 

and for Huang Xiaoming , he must have been an idol in 15 years ago as well ( i DO remember him very well it his great role in the reboot of New Shanghai Bund from 2007 -that drama is one of the few C-Drama remakes of an Hongkong Classic, that was in my opinion, better than the old TVB show)

so yeah, thanks a million for your recs! 

will add them to my DL queue, once i finished six flying dragons. 

I am really excited, to watch that one, along with the airing of Joy of life 2.