Agreed. I do not think the book story line would have been very interesting to a broader market. I will call good job on the script writers for adding deeper content to the plot. I think the ending will be different than the book and a shocker for most.  

You are correct on the structure of the writing and overall. It is hard to write a book that a good majority of people would want to read. This book was a good read, but could have had a little bit more in-depth detailing in certain areas. 

It is awesome that people are still passionate about actually writing in this day and age. I, myself am in the middle of writing 4 books with different genres.  

Happy New Year!

tierzab:

Agreed. I do not think the book story line would have been very interesting to a broader market. I will call good job on the script writers for adding deeper content to the plot. I think the ending will be different than the book and a shocker for most.  

You are correct on the structure of the writing and overall. It is hard to write a book that a good majority of people would want to read. This book was a good read, but could have had a little bit more in-depth detailing in certain areas. 

It is awesome that people are still passionate about actually writing in this day and age. I, myself am in the middle of writing 4 books with different genres.  

Happy New Year!

*WARNING: EXTRA SPOILER-Y FOR THE BOOK, SO EVEN WITH SPOILER COVERS ON THE TEXT, GIVING THIS EXTRA SPOILER WARNING —> but again, specifically for the book, and the series might change some of these*

I think the structural problem of the book was that it ended up being anti-climactic as the crime story side was almost resolved around Chapter 22 or 23, pretty much the climax with the confrontation with Por in the warehouse... and then there were about 10 chapters more. 

Sure, there was still the mystery of why Jane was killed or how Pued  was poisoned, and how they entrapped Rungthiwa, but all these were pretty rushed and barely developed (especially the motivations of Pued and Rungthiwa, which were just revealed in a few sentences/lines from Inspector Aem and which barely had any foreshadowing). And in place of that, the book pretty much shifted tone to typical “BL” life of Bunn and Tann trying to make their relationship work - and the whole Tarr story.

The last ten chapters, with the time jump, were almost like reading an entirely different book already had it not been for references to the incident in Chiang Mai and Tann’s trial. It‘s like Book 1 ended with the climactic confrontation with and death of Por, and then a Book 2 was released with an almost different tone and definitely different focus.

I do hope they’re 100% removing the Tarr subplot (which it looks like it, since there has been no reference to an ex nor an actor announced as cast).

If there is one character I do hope they still bring in, even as a short guest role, is Dr. Boon (Bunn’s older brother). He was a pretty interesting character and to me and gave more dimension to why Bunn is why he is, and it will give insight into Bunn’s family since clearly they will do the same for Tann’s family. But given no actor has been announced as being cast for Boon, I suspect they’ve removed him entirely (unless they surprise us... perhaps with a nice “superstar” kind of cameo).

Also, the special Sorrawit/Thad (That) chapter in the book was great, and that one left me wanting more. I’m glad they are getting more exposure and development in the series.

Sammon had a great story, truly. He probably just needed some guidance on execution of details and structure as well as character development (besides Bunn and Tann, who were pretty well developed by Sammon, IMO).

It does have that feel, but writing can be a crapshoot. I would like to see a book about Sorrawit/Thad and how they better their lives. Now, that story has many directions that it could go. Sammon will get better with each new book written. Usually, the first couple of books are just practice anyway. So, here is hoping for more future success to Sammon. 

tierzab:

It does have that feel, but writing can be a crapshoot. I would like to see a book about Sorrawit/Thad and how they better their lives. Now, that story has many directions that it could go. Sammon will get better with each new book written. Usually, the first couple of books are just practice anyway. So, here is hoping for more future success to Sammon. 

Agree especially Thad/Sorrawit. The dynamics there are really interesting - different classes, different backgrounds, different career paths - there’s so much to mine and it would have been great if Sammon wrote a spinoff.

Well, maybe with some positive feedback and encouragement, Sammon just might. Readers have great influence with authors in guiding the direction of their next characters or books. I have an author friend in NYC and there are 7 of us in this group. He had a ongoing character and asked our opinion on how to end the series, or if he should write one more. We wanted one more and he left the story open-ended in case he wanted to bring him back. It worked out perfectly for all. 

I think that the abortion clinic is separate from the drug/human trafficking ring which involves mafia people, politicians and has the police and prosecutors under their control. I think that the clinic performs illegal abortions and the nurse does it because she believes women should have the right to abort (it's probably illegal in Thailand). According to last episode it appears that:

For some reason Peud made Jane have sex with that governor in exchange for favors/something else. Jane got pregnant from that governor and Peud took her to abort. Now I'm very intrigued as to why would Peud have to "give" Jane (and to what point was it forced or not) to that governor when he seems to have a preference for minors and seems to have them easily to his disposition. I'm also not sure if Peud really had Jane going to bed with that governor for power and money reasons.

I still don't think the killer is Peud, nor Tan nor anyone that the show tried to point towards us. It feels to me that this is not an individual killer that had personal motives, but more like the drug/prostituiton ring killing people to avoid being found out. I don't think Oat is the killer or part of the mafia that is behind the prostitution and drug trafficking ring, but he could be involved in the abortion clinic or know more than he lets out.

Major Book Spoiler

Major Book Spoiler

Major Book Spoiler

In the book, Pued and Rungthiwa killed Jane because Jane was going to expose the two for corruption over housing development funds. Jane - who was in a relationship with the womanizing Pued -  was also suspicious that Pued and Rungthiwa were having an affair. Rungthiwa later on poisons and kills Pued because she feared Pued would confess to the police. 

All of this was mainly exposition from Inspector M in a couple of paragraphs in the last chapter, so it was almost out of the blue especially the housing development funds issue which was hardly related to the mafia issue.

So far, the series does seem to possibly go in the direction of Pued still being involved in Jane’s death, and Rungthiwa - while so far minimally seen - may still be in the running because of how the show seems to misdirect things away from her. Plus, the actress is well known for frequently doing  antagonist roles in her prior series.

But again, with the introduction of abortion clinics and human trafficking and such - none of which are in the book - it’s still possible the show may have changed the killers in order to still surprise those who have read the book.

At this point, anything is possible. The drama has deviated so much from the book , that some sections feel like it has been rewritten to keep the audience going. We shall see and it does keep you guessing.

Pued. 

I mean...isn't it obvious?

Yes, however creative license has a way of changing the outcome or the cast of characters. Just my thought. 

tierzab:

Yes, however creative license has a way of changing the outcome or the cast of characters. Just my thought. 

Correct. They’ve already changed the cast as it is - adding so many new characters, enhancing the involvement and development of characters who were barely in the novel, removing several other characters, and have completely added an entirely new dimension to what the mafia does. 

So they may still have a lot of surprises in store.

My personal guess is it will be a mix wherein it’s fairly similar to the book but with added layers and twists on motivations, people involved, and how it exactly happened.

I would agree.  I think we are going to be completely surprised at the end. I still have a gut feeling that on some level Bunn may be subconsciously involved. Who knows? Hope you are doing well on this late Monday evening?

tierzab:

I would agree.  I think we are going to be completely surprised at the end. I still have a gut feeling that on some level Bunn may be subconsciously involved. Who knows? Hope you are doing well on this late Monday evening?

I’m doing good and hope you are, too. Just finished the advanced episode on WeTV, and judging from this episode as well as the next ep’s preview, it looks to me like they’ll be sticking fairly closely to the novel in the aspect (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO REALLY DON’T WANT TO KNOW) of Pued and Rungthiva. It’s very clear Rungthiva is acting suspiciously, especially trying to fish info from Bunn regarding evidence that Pat was supposed to have planned on exposing, and then we see in the preview (right at the end) something happening to Pued that implies the same thing will happen to him as in the novel courtesy of Rungthiva. So I guess they’ll take that part of the novel still, but I’m still intrigued as to how these all fit in to the new dimensions they’ve added around the mafia, etc. Obviously the housing development corruption indicated in the book as the motivation is likely out. Is Rungthiva involved in the mafia? I read a speculation somewhere that maybe her hotels are being used to pimp out the women to the congressman etc. She did transfer 100K baht to Pat for the evidence he supposedly had. It’s clear she’s trying to keep things hidden as opposed to exposing it.

what do you think about the sister??

The sister is involved. She is probably supplyig the girls/women to these men (the chief of police, the congressman) and passing it off as a "massage" parlor when in reality it is an orgy fest where women are drugged and raped. So she is well aware of what's going on in her club. If it turns out that she had nothing to do with the deaths, she will still have something to do with the criminal activity happening in her place.