Thecla:
Or going even further, could Bu-Yeon's soul have shifted into Naksu's body and remain there? Given her powers, she could perhaps survive in a dead body and even communicate with and pass energy to Naksu/Mu-Deok through the soul/dream realm.

In soul shift process, when a soul exits a body, the body has blue mark. 

Naksu's body has blue mark, because Naksu's soul has exited Naksu's body. Bu Yeon's body does not have blue mark. That means Bu Yeon's soul has not exited Bu Yeon's body. Result: Two souls in Bu Yeon's body.

Supporting facts in the drama:

1. Gil Ju's body has blue mark. His soul exited his body. It entered again later after it failed to shift to Uk's body. 

2. Uk's body does not have blue mark. Uk's soul never exited Uk's body.

mellody:

The blue marks have got progressively less reliable as the show goes on (no one seems to care about them at this point).

Yes, for sure soul exits by a soul ejector leave a blue mark. But, as far as I understand it,  soul exits by the Ice Stone (whose powers Bu-Yeon seems to have) or by mages who have attained Hwansu (like Master Lee) don't leave a blue mark. So it's quite possible that Bu-Yeon's soul could exit her body without leaving a mark (or perhaps only a mark in her eyes), even though the exit of Naksu's soul left a mark on her body (Naksu not having Ice Stone or Hwansu powers).

Of course, we're pretty badly handicapped by not knowing for sure !*#*! about how AoS is really supposed to work. We're at the mercy of the writers there.

Thecla:
Of course, we're pretty badly handicapped by not knowing for sure !*#*! about how AoS is really supposed to work. We're at the mercy of the writers there.

Haha, it is because of the handicap, we have fun making theories. If we have known for certain, there is no need for any theory anymore. 😀

Do you remember Nasku saying that Shamans can erase the memory of the souls? What if Shaman Choi erases Uk's or naksu's memory at the end of ep 20. And this is how we'll proceed to season 2 with one of them loosing their memories? I don't want this to happen, but this sentence could be forecasting.

Ahead:
So, she got all her knowledge from her father, Jang Gang and Jin Mu.

And yet, she didn't seem to remember meeting Jang Gang or being in the Jang home as a child.  As always one wonders if the writers intentionally wrote it that way (to imply that Naksu isn't Cho Yeong) or if they simply used Maidservant Kim's comment as a plot device to hold the memorial service   

Thecla:
I actually don't understand the one soul theory (no doubt explained in much more detail elsewhere!). I

In simple terms,  @DaisiesOh one-soul theory is:

1.  +/- 20 years ago, Jin Mu took a 4-6 year old Cho Yeong to the mountains.

2.  10 years ago,  Jin Mu soul swapped Bu-yeon into Cho-yeong's body and brainwashed her/changed her memories to become Naksu The Shadow Assasin.  Cho-yeong' soul was swapped into the blind body of Bu-yeon and she eventually became Mu-deok.

3.  When Naksu was wounded, she performed AoS and ended up swapping back into her original (Bu-yeon) body.  Just like the Jang Gang/old King swap.  Cho-yeong returned to her original body and died.

4.  I'm not sure if DaisiesOh has theorized much further on the  dynamic, but it helps me to think of it in terms of a "split personality".  "Naksu" is dominant, Bu-yeon is suppressed, but her "divine" powers emerge in situations of life or death. 

It's a very plausible theory.  To me, it doesn't matter because in the end Jin Bu-yeon is in her body and her mission is to save Daeho and seal (or destroy) the ice stone.  

Simple outcome:

One Soul Theory - the two personalities will eventually merge.

Two Soul Theory - One soul eventually swaps out of the body, leaving the other one in control (or dead).  

Kathryn_51:
I analyze this based on everything that Master Lee says. In fact, it is his words that are the best argument to the theory that Naksu=JBY. He only sees one soul. That's not the final word (there may be a good reason why he doesn't see two souls) but to me it's the strongest argument for that theory.

First of all, all shifter has blue mark except for Master Lee cos he had reached the highest level and he went into the dead boy. Maybe, the highest level is like possessing someone & being able to change water to fire and vice versa.
MD (JBY) doesn't have any blue marks (except the eyes) and she will always be blind cos of her divine power.

If JBY and Naksu were one soul, how was Naksu able to see?
If two personas, why do they never learn about each other power?
Is it possible for two personas to use different power, one is a divine power and another is a mage power? (I am not sure about personas' stuff so it would be great if you can explain the qualities of two personas in one soul.)
I think they were able to use different power cos they were two souls.

(Master Lee's comment that "a great soul has shifted into this body")
Now to answer that, he could be mentioning the soul that has shifted was Naksu.
If the soul is already JBY's, Gwigu and Master Lee wouldn't notice it. But JBY's was born with ice stone and AoS was used on her instead so they noticed it.
If the original soul goes back to the original body, can Gwigu still detect it? Maybe, cos Gwigu was able to detect sorcery from Cho Yeon for a reason we don't know for sure.
Although Naksu killed so many people before she didn't use sorcery so it could be why her soul gives off little red energy. JBY already purify the red energy by ep 16 I think.

Master Lee also said that we will have to wait and see why she (Naksu's soul) is fine and not running wild. Sometime later, he said that she (JBY) will protect Uk.
Then, did he know that there were two souls? I think he is already doubting that the second soul is JBY cos he knew the first Jin leader.

mellody Thanks to your comment I got new ideas.

Kathryn_51 Thanks to your comment I am getting more ideas of why there are two souls. But I don't know which ways this will lead me.

Still reading the rest of the comments.

Kathryn_51:
And yet, she didn't seem to remember meeting Jang Gang

Naksu definitely remembered that he was there when her dad was killed.

Kathryn_51:
or being in the Jang home as a child.

Yeah. Why no back story of that?

Kathryn_51:
(to imply that Naksu isn't Cho Yeong) or if they simply used Maidservant Kim's comment as a plot device to hold the memorial service

Master Lee know for sure that Naksu is Cho Yeong and she is MD rn. He said that to protect MD as his investigation on MD hasn't been done yet. Also, Uk will be broken if MD die so Master Lee is still watching them.

Ahead:
Master Lee know for sure that Naksu is Cho Yeong a

Master Lee said Cho Yeong is dead - and I don't believe he has ever lied (but I haven't kept track).  It's one reason I listen carefully to everything he says - or does NOT say.  Once Jin Bu-yeon's presence is identified/known, I think Master Lee will be the one who will explain everything.  But I don't think he yet understands Bu-yeon's presence/identity.  

Kathryn_51:

Master Lee said Cho Yeong is dead - and I don't believe he has ever lied (but I haven't kept track).  It's one reason I listen carefully to everything he says - or does NOT say.  Once Jin Bu-yeon's presence is identified/known, I think Master Lee will be the one who will explain everything.  But I don't think he yet understands Bu-yeon's presence/identity.  

but what i understood from this dialogue with Kim Do Ju is that he was simply telling her that Cho Yeong is dead (naksu´s body that he knows is dead) and he is advicing her that the soul is not and could be near the Jang´s. It was just a way that he tell her that the soul is near Uk and tell us viewers that he knows that Mudeok is NakSu. 

And his also telling that Jang Kang will not find Naksu because she is dead for all intends.  

Kathryn_51:
Master Lee said Cho Yeong is dead - and I don't believe he has ever lied (but I haven't kept track).

I kept track of it so this will help you. @Cau explained very well too.

EP 12

25:30 – Naksu’s past story.

Master Lee went to Kim Do Ju after that.

EP 13

15:24 – Cho Chung’s past with Park Jang Gang.

56:10 – Master Lee and Uk’s talk after fishing. The real talk at 59:17 minutes. Watch the funny part first. XD

Ahead:
I think he is already doubting

I didn't say for sure. I am guessing. :)

btw, I haven't posted anything in her (@DaisiesOh) posts cos I don't want to go to her blog to argue. Just in case, if anyone is wondering if I said anything to her as anonymous, know that I haven't and I don't plan on.

Ahead:
btw, I haven't posted anything in her (@DaisiesOh) posts cos I don't want to go to her blog to argue. Just in case, if anyone is wondering if I said anything to her as anonymous, know that I haven't and I don't plan on.

Several weeks ago, I private messaged with her on Reddit (she has a different name), mainly so I could try and understand her theory.  I had a different approach on the one-soul theory (I was also wondering about a one sole/two memories, but a totally different path).  Anyway, she was very cordial and she is also very sensitive about people copying her theory and not giving her credit.  

Before I posted my six-section  observation/theory the other day, I went into her blog and reviewed it thoroughly to make sure I hadn't sub-consciously copied anything she had written.  :-).

Cau, if you are reading this, the other day on Reddit I was discussing (with a different commenter) Naksu's sword being a Jin family sword and the question of Cho-yeon's sword came up.  I mentioned that you had done a complete analysis of the Daeho swords several weeks ago and they requested a link and were very impressed.  

Kathryn_51:
Cau, if you are reading this, the other day on Reddit I was discussing (with a different commenter) Naksu's sword being a Jin family sword and the question of Cho-yeon's sword came up.  I mentioned that you had done a complete analysis of the Daeho swords several weeks ago and they requested a link and were very impressed.

Ohhh thanks. Im glad they like it. Its just an observation post but i think Naksu´s sword is very important.  

Last week here at MDL someone ( i didnt remember who, sorry ) said an interesting thing, but i couldnt mantain a conversation because it was a busy day for me, but OP said what if Naksu´s sword was from Master Seo Gyeong originally? Maybe Jin Mu who is vice-Gwanju could have it and passed it to Naksu, and in the end Uk will use it? Because he is using Naksu´s sword in the post as we mentioned before in our discussions.

I didnt have time to watch the scenes with Master Seo again to try to look at his sword.  But even he is not using it at that time he could have made her sword before, since he did some relics as the Gwiju. 

Ahead:
Maybe, cos Gwigu was able to detect sorcery from Cho Yeon for a reason we don't know for sure.

@Ahead Gwigu most likely detected evil magic / sorcery from Cho-Yeon because of the Blood Worm in So-Yi's body. Like Jin Mu said, energy has to be continuously supplied for the Blood Worm to effectively change the blood of So-Yi into something similar to Cho-Yeon's blood, thus traces of sorcery still lingers in Cho-Yeon's body and Gwigu was able to detect it. It's a continuous process, traces of sorcery won't just disappear after her dad removed the Blood Worm from her body. 

Not all ice stones destroyed 

00:30:00,882 --> 00:30:02,551

I was told that Master Seo Gyeong

00:30:02,634 --> 00:30:04,928

destroyed all the ice stones 200 years ago

after the Great Chaos.

00:30:05,012 --> 00:30:05,929

However,

00:30:06,013 --> 00:30:09,933

I guess not all were destroyed

and instead left in Songrim.