Hi guys, quick update:

I managed to finish Chasing Hurricane. The ending redeemed the whole book. One of the major flaws this book had was how Hurricane was written. Her issues with her parents were vaguely written which created problems later on in how her character arc was resolved..

I am still thinking which book to read first. Maybe I'll go with reading a fantasy after reading contemporary.

Bad_humour:
Where I am right now bookstores and libraries are closed and I have very little books at home because I am renting away from my hometown, so I have no way of obtaining quickly a physical book and reading from a computer just does not suit me. So, I guess the challenge for me before March at this point is thinking of a way to get a book in my hands...

Hey there, does your library not offer ebooks & audiobooks. Their homepage will probably have some o that information? If not, there are an OpenLibrary  or ebook resources online: https://openlibrary.org/ or https://manybooks.net/

I don't know what country you are in so this the only amount of information I can give. If you are in the US, you can probably try the Libby/Overdrive app and connect it through a free library database. I live in California where signing up for a library card is free nearly everywhere in the state but other states charge. 

Let me know if it works out for you!

so many updates, glad some are reading well, I'm not gonna end any book this month, has been more than 5 days that  I read no page at all and in the moment I don't feel like reading too. I completed The Untamed meanwhile. My book for March will be the lights out  as I already read 8% of it and it is a short one, maybe I can complete it 

So, I joined this club beginning of this month and to my dissapointment, I did not even read a single page. The book I selected was Obsession in Death by J.D Robb. :/ 

Now that tomorrow is March, I decided to change my book and surprisingly am enjoying it. Has anyone read this book? 

Julia Quinn's Bridgeton - The Duke and I ♥️

Drama Fairy :

So, I joined this club beginning of this month and to my dissapointment, I did not even read a single page. The book I selected was Obsession in Death by J.D Robb. :/ 

Now that tomorrow is March, I decided to change my book and surprisingly am enjoying it. Has anyone read this book? 

oh that book, the new netflix show is based off it . Haven't read it as of yet

Wandering_Queen:

oh that book, the new netflix show is based off it . Haven't read it as of yet

:) So far am loving it.  Did you watch the series?

I miraculously finished Paris 1919. It was a depressing read.

What made it so, for me at least, was that because everyone came to the Paris Peace Conference with optimism--for world peace, safety, independence, new territories (!), for a new world order that's more equitable--but in the end nobody was satisfied, and that in less than a generation there would be fresh horrors (World War II) and that the Allied's redrawing of borders would contribute to tensions that are still with us today (Middle East).

For March, I'm thinking of reading a book of essays called Challenging Authoritarianism in Southeast Asia: Comparing Indonesia and Malaysia, which I bought ages ago because it's cheap :p

So, after a month of preserving through the book, I have finished The Red Sari by Javier Moro.

On the whole, it was an interesting read, indeed. The author really did his research and provided a lot of personal background on the Nehru-Gandhi family and also on Indian politics. Contrary to what the cover suggests, this is not only Sonia Gandhi's story, but also her mother-in-law's, Indira Gandhi. This is where I had problems with the book. Namely, I have already read two biographies on Indira Gandhi and knew all the facts, but the author's tendency to dramatise and romanticise certain situations, as if he witnessed them, really pulled me out of the reading experience. The writer was not there with the family, so he has no right to narrate their thoughts at the most important moments of their story.

All in all, I don't regret reading it, but I doubt that I will revisit the book in the future.

I will post my pick for the next month tomorrow.

Drama Fairy :

I loved Quinn's novels when I read them during my university days. The series made me want to reread them ;)

It's the end of February 2021 and time for my reading update.

The book I chose for this month is Haruki Murakami's The Elephant Vanishes.

It comprises 17 short stories.  Each story is unique in its own way.  Some are funny, while others are downright peculiar and there are a few introspective stories and a couple of somewhat disturbing tales.  The stories are a mix of mundane urban life experiences, melancholy, relationships, and random encounters.  

I enjoyed some of the stories, not all.  In particular the ones filled with humour and an element of fantasy, while the introspective ones are thought provoking. All in all, the short stories format made the book less daunting to read. 

For March, I'll choose another compilation of short stories from my shelf, this time a horror-themed book that was published last year as the latest entry in the popular horror series - True Singapore Ghost Stories, Vol 26.

fatema on a break:

I loved Quinn's novels when I read them during my university days. The series made me want to reread them ;)

Yes ♥️ i feel like am in an another world once I started to read... Oh how I missed this :)

Drama Fairy :

I'd read it years ago and, after I watched Bridgerton, I listened to the audiobook and the story was still as enjoyable as I remembered. If you're able, read the second epilogue as well :)

Congrats to everyone who made their goal for the month! And hurray for me, I finished a book! I completed Charlotte's Web yesterday - it's a short children's book but I'll take my victories where I win them :P  Charlotte's Web is a touching story about the friendship between a pig and a spider, but includes other animal characters with distinct personalities, like the self-interested and thuggish Templeton, who's quite the barn rat. The story is lively and perfect for children.

I only reached five chapters in Troubled Blood (there are 73 in all) so this one will be sliding to March.  And as if it wasn't bad enough that I'm hardly reading anything, I went and started new books:

1. A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare). I started it about a week ago and I'm about halfway done. It's one of his comedies (and it is funny) plus I now know where Chinese dramas may have gotten their template for that ubiquitous woman who pursues the guy even though he's implicitly or explicitly made it clear he's not interested ... sigh.

2. China: A History by John Keay. I tried to listen to the audiobook, but I didn't like the narrator's voice at all, so I switched to the ebook.  I'm only on chapter one; the intro is looong ;)

3. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. I'm listening to this one via a podcast (Audiobook Break) which is serializing the book by dropping three chapters a week. I'm only on chapter two. but the podcast has nine chapters so far.

So, it looks like I'm taking four books into March with me. Happy reading to all :D

Drama Fairy :

:) So far am loving it.  Did you watch the series?

No I haven't