You would want to add Oshin (1983 Drama) and Oshin (2013 Movie), which would be starting in Meiji Period :)
Wow this is very nice! With all of those hitorical references and all. At least anyone who want to watch a historical drama or movie won't feel lost because the historical events can be so confusing sometimes!
Thank you guys, I am glad I can help.

Lorell wrote: You would want to add Oshin (1983 Drama) and Oshin (2013 Movie), which would be starting in Meiji Period :)

I will remember to add them on my next update. Thanks for your help (:
nice thread! I'll definitely be checking out some of these titles :D It is no wonder Edo period seems to be the most popular.
I hope you won't forget about Taisho Trilogy. Guess where to put them ;)

Zigeunerweisen
Kagero-za
Yumeji
Nice Great Job! :) It's a shame not all these drama/films are subbed though.
A great job indeed. It's nice for someone to express his love for Japanese historicals and you're doing it in an amazing way CS (^_^).
Lorell wrote: You would want to add Oshin (1983 Drama) and Oshin (2013 Movie), which would be starting in Meiji Period :)

twinklelie wrote:

and those 3, during the Bakumatsu mainly :)
Shinsengumi!
Shinsengumi Peace Maker
Shinsegumi

I added those.

ShiningSuede wrote: I hope you won't forget about Taisho Trilogy. Guess where to put them ;)

Zigeunerweisen
Kagero-za
Yumeji

I will add those when I get to those letters.
Updated but I figured there are lots of other historical films and dramas that should be added to the database.
Great work, keep it going ^^
are those links to some information page ? why does it come back to this thread ? anyway good job in listing so much stuff and in Chronological order at that 
Sooo~ I've found this thread and think it's an amazing idea. Especially since I'm interested in Japanese history myself I've been longing for a list like this!
Unfortunately Cheer seems to be inactive since 2016 and thus the list hasn't been updated :/

Because I really love this idea I'm going to take it upon myself and create a new list!
I'll try to keep it up to date, but obviously it'll be a slow process. I'll only add the dramas and movies in the database. It'll be alphabetically ordered but I'll add them by the time of production because I think that's easier and I won't miss any new dramas (that means I have to get through a few decades of drama productions before this list is up to date, but I'm really motivated right now!)
As I said the process will be quite slow, I'll add links to everything as quickly as I can!
I'll note the year I have reached on top of the list, so if I haven't listed a drama that was produced before that time, do tell me please!

Oh yeah, my list will look a bit different from Cheer's list because her links don't seem to work and I have no idea what kind of sources she used; so I did my own research and partly copied her stuff. If you see a mistake, again, please tell me, I'll recheck and correct it as soon as possible. The overall appearance will be quite similar to avoid confusion and unnecessary complications.

Please also tell me what you think of this idea! Do you think it would be best to start a new thread for this? (because the list won't be upfront) or do you think that's not that important? Eiher way, I'm looking forward to your feedback, suggestions, etc.

Also, if you know some sgreat sources for Japanese histroy I'm super interested, so please share that as well. So far I've used japan-guide.com, stuff from columbia university (those are rough outlines only) and the britannica enzyclopedia.
Okay~ So, I've started the list, I'm gonna copy it into the forum as soon as I know about how much space I need. I've reached all shows in the genre historical up to the year 2006. BUT I know not all historicals are included in the genre "Historical" So if you find anything missing, please, please let me know!! I'll check with the posts that have been already added, and cheer's list of course!

Oh, and if anyone would like to help, that would be super cool! There are quite a few dramas/movies that are hard to sort without having seen them, or having researched them, so that will take a lot of time. If anyone's interested I'll post them right away, so you can help. But if nobody's gonna answer I'll just post them with the rest of the list ;)
I'm almost done! I'll post the list soon!! Unfortunately right now no one seems to be interested? I enjoy sorting stuff, so that's okay lol.