Sunbath12:

I'm trying to distract myself with the Olympics, but it's not working haha.

Same!  I  keep reading all the Twitter feeds for YZ and ZWY....

Sssnoopyyy:
The novel is gonna break you more if you are a YaoXuan shipper lol. Definitely a good idea you watched the drama first because I was not happy about the changes in S2. But then again, I feel like if they were faithful to CX’s character development - might’ve hurt me more hahaah. THERE IS LITERALLY NO WIN HERE. And ZWY’s angst doesn't help at all. I can only imagine him walking around the Phoenix Tree forest missing her forever ? but I want him to miss her forever because that is how deep his obsession and love was lol.

I know he is more obsessed in the novel....I agree, I want him to miss her forever too and then I feel so badly for him! I can't move on from ZWY as CX either...And I have been a YaoXuan shipper from almost day one of LYF, so girding my loins  preparing myself to read the intense novel now. And looking forward to it! 

Sssnoopyyy:
Ugh ZWY makes it so hard to move on. I have been watching BTS clips of him and YZ - also their interactions in events. I am trying not to ship them irl but it’s really hard not to LOL. I need another collab with them - one where they end up together hahahaahah

Yes, yes, and yes!  Hand up, me too! I don't ship them in real life, though VERY much want them to collaborate again.  Yes to being together this time...love their BTSs's....I love how they look after one another and plan out the scenes, and share their work together.  I wish so much he was getting more attention for his role, in the popularity index. 

Katelyn Arshi:

Some nice edits of ZWY/CX

Caged  and forlorn in his love

I love the first poster so much!!!

Sssnoopyyy:
Lmao I started Dashing Youth just to get out of the hump and grief/anger over LYF. I was rereading/listening to the novel but don’t think I have the heart to continue because I need to get over this. Lol when Hidden Charm comes out, I will probably hop onto that train. I really wanna watch The Rise of Ning though, looks more intriguing!

I really want to watch the Rise of Ning as well, that's the one I'm anxious for. I ended up starting Ever Night, as it also has a prominent 'brother-sister" relationship that isn't' a sibling bond and is very deep....so far the cinematography is fabulous, and enjoying the story very much. But can't truly get out of LYF yet, which is ok. Part of loving dramas is the excitement of discovering the ones that remain with you for a long time, and become all-time favourites. 

Blackrabbit63

I'm rereading book 3, it's the one with the most focus on CX and what should have been the second half of the drama. So many details missing. I am so sad that they could bring CX real character arc to fruitation.

Kokuto:

Thank you for the list!

It looks like they are uploading the clip compilations!  Here's the one for CX and XY.

https://youtu.be/Wy7QzDyRwj8?si=bNpS5Oyyg6_RKe-9 

Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it.

Xiaoyao & Cang Xuan | New Edition S1 & S2

Great compilations!

https://youtu.be/iMgZEQkIbhA?si=qWj8AtxyRITGl9PG  

Katelyn Arshi:

Xiaoyao & Cang Xuan | New Edition S1 & S2

Great compilations!

https://youtu.be/iMgZEQkIbhA?si=qWj8AtxyRITGl9PG  

THANKS a million! Just saved this one.  2 and a half hours worth of goodies! Oh my! I can't. *happy dance* even though I know I will cry watching this....sigh. 

@Dreamer68

You're welcome. I'm happy too. The clip is a combination of S1 and S2 so it's actually 5 hrs 52 min worth of goodies of YaoXuan. Yes, I'll being crying rewatching too. I was rewatching S1 up to episode 19. I still cried so much on episode 1 when they were kids. 

Katelyn Arshi:

@Dreamer68

You're welcome. I'm happy too. The clip is a combination of S1 and S2 so it's actually 5 hrs 52 min worth of goodies of YaoXuan. Yes, I'll being crying rewatching too. I was rewatching S1 up to episode 19. I still cried so much on episode 1 when they were kids. 

@Katelyn Arshi, truly, I think those kids in Ep. 1 acted soooooo well that I felt the bond between Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan strongly and deeply. So strongly that I couldn't NOT support the two characters as adults. And then, Yang Zi and especially Zhang Wanyi brought their A-games to the table and I was blown away by this Mei Mei + Ge Ge combo.  (Yes, I also love Tushan Jing and Xiang Liu almost equally but for such different reasons). I am currently rewatching Season 1 and have not started Season 2. Plus my supply of Kleenex is dangerously low at home. LOL!!

Dreamer68:

@Katelyn Arshi, truly, I think those kids in Ep. 1 acted soooooo well that I felt the bond between Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan strongly and deeply. So strongly that I couldn't NOT support the two characters as adults. And then, Yang Zi and especially Zhang Wanyi brought their A-games to the table and I was blown away by this Mei Mei + Ge Ge combo.  (Yes, I also love Tushan Jing and Xiang Liu almost equally but for such different reasons). I am currently rewatching Season 1 and have not started Season 2. Plus my supply of Kleenex is dangerously low at home. LOL!!

You're so right about the acting by the young actors. They really left a deep impression and I'm completely sold on their bond even if it's not romantic.  Their tragic story made it possible to support them as adults. The other characters are compelling too but I care more for Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan. I tried to watch it through different lens and understand characters. Hence, I don't have any hate for the characters even Cang Xuan.  Sadly, I can't say that for other viewers. They identify characters as green or red flags. But honestly, that doesn't apply here since many of them are actually grey.  Be sure to restock your tissues.

"Their tragic story made it possible to support them as adults.  "....yes, this is how I felt as well. I am generally a green flag girl...partially coz Cdramas and Kdramas are an escape from real life. But in this case, those first episodes with the terrific youngsters set up the lead characters so well, I just felt so much pain and compassion for the impossible place Cang Xuan was in.  And then I chanced upon this MV of Cang Xuan's theme song from the OST after the detox scene of Season 1 with the English translation of the lyrics and I bawled my eyes out for Cang Xuan.

Plus, I agree with you, the other characters were grey too so I do not understand the mixed standards from viewers.  All in all, what a skillfully written story that tugged at heartstrings with a terrific cast that did such an amazing job to cause tidal waves of debate and side-taking... I just hope the fans can settle down and let all the actors breathe and go on refining their craft.

Dreamer68:

"Their tragic story made it possible to support them as adults.  "....yes, this is how I felt as well. I am generally a green flag girl...partially coz Cdramas and Kdramas are an escape from real life. But in this case, those first episodes with the terrific youngsters set up the lead characters so well, I just felt so much pain and compassion for the impossible place Cang Xuan was in.  And then I chanced upon this MV of Cang Xuan's theme song from the OST after the detox scene of Season 1 with the English translation of the lyrics and I bawled my eyes out for Cang Xuan.

Plus, I agree with you, the other characters were grey too so I do not understand the mixed standards from viewers.  All in all, what a skillfully written story that tugged at heartstrings with a terrific cast that did such an amazing job to cause tidal waves of debate and side-taking... I just hope the fans can settle down and let all the actors breathe and go on refining their craft. 

Xuan's theme song always make me cry.  Zhang Wanyi definitely made his Cang Xuan stand out. He really excel in conveying his emotions that made me sympathize with his tormented heart, pain, regret, yearning, inner demon etc. His character kept on tugging at my heart like no other. I haven's seen this type of complex character in a while. I hope you'll start on part 2.

Katelyn Arshi:
You're so right about the acting by the young actors. They really left a deep impression and I'm completely sold on their bond even if it's not romantic.  Their tragic story made it possible to support them as adults. The other characters are compelling too but I care more for Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan. I tried to watch it through different lens and understand characters. Hence, I don't have any hate for the characters even Cang Xuan.  Sadly, I can't say that for other viewers. They identify characters as green or red flags. But honestly, that doesn't apply here since many of them are actually grey.  Be sure to restock your tissues.

Grey is the key word for LYF, you are right, Katelyn. 

I don't hate any of the characters, either.  For me they all enrich the story that is being told. Even Xin Yue, I don't hate; she brought on her life herself with her choices, and it's fascinating to watch how it turns out for her. I don't like her for trying to kill our heroine Xiao Yao, though!  The actress manages to make me feel sorry for her, especially after her scenes with Fenglong.   All the characters have these fascinating shades to them, good and bad, so it makes the show deeper and thoughtful, for me at least. All the choices they each make, from the first choice the young actors make, through to CX letting XY go to live her life, and all the different choices that all the characters make in between those moments. For me, it's a story with depth because we see so many siblings variations, different vows, love and searching for love, and the consequences of choices made, in the relationships chosen, and not chosen.  In words said, and not said. XL, I'm looking at you here!  I'm not comparing it to the novel here, I'm only looking at the drama.  Someday someone may do a side-by-side comparison, but for now, the drama itself,  is morally grey and complex. 

And that bond between XY and CX!!!! that gives the story it's grounding. We may not have seen it go as dark as it does in the novel, though we did get a taste in S2 later episodes. It would have been interesting if there was a second ending filmed, where we got to see this version. The screen writer chose to redeem CX in the drama. 

I have to go away on a weekend trip this weekend, so I am planning on reading the novel while I'm away.  Then I can see how dark the novel and CX gets, and it will be interesting to imagine how this could have been filmed.

I'm team CX/XY all the way, always and forever, dark and light versions, and all the shades of grey in between! 

Dreamer68:

I love what you say here, Dreamer68.  I agree with all your points. For me, if I see a red-flag character, there have to be mitigating circumstances or character growth for me to be able to accept those actions. I mean, for a character who is hateful or abusive towards another character.  So I struggle sometimes with XL and how he treats XY in the beginning. As we learn more about him, and as he learns more about XY and changes his actions to her, that to me is very good storytelling, and I was able to come to love his character deeply. You don't want to know how much I cried when he died!  Which is fabulous acting from Tan Jianci and excellent writing for his character. 

For CX, I was holding my breath in those scenes with XY in S2 ep 19 and 20. One part of me let out a huge sigh of relief when we see the twist, and one part of me was so disappointed we didn't go the way of the novel!  I would have liked to see what Zhang Wanyi could have done with the darker novel version. His performance was a standout for me,  and I loved his character right from the initial scenes as a child right through to his last, lost-without-her-but-trying-to-brave-anyway  gaze looking for signs of XY in the world. I feel his story so intensely because of how he portrayed it. Marvelous performance. I wish he was getting as much attention as the two other MLs are getting for this drama. 

There wasn't a character note that seemed wrong in the whole drama. No cardboard characters, which I'm surprised no one has commented on, though I guess they are all complaining they didn't like how the ending was done/who died, etc. A terrific cast all around ??