Hello y'all, I'm Nisu. Here I am today, introducing you to the first homosexual film to be released in India. 

Notice: You can skip the 'boring' details that I'll be giving in the next paragraph. I just thought you might need to know something related to Homosexuality in India.

First of all, let me give you an insight on why it's the first ever film to be made on a 'considered' taboo subject-Homosexuality. Cause you must be wondering why there aren't many queer Bollywood films made.

Before 2019, there was an article on the Indian penal code which said:

(source:Wikipedia)Article 377. Unnatural offences: Whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal shall be punished with imprisonment for life, or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine.

In simpler words, Homosexuality was Illegal.  

BUT, On september 2018, The supreme court of India passed a judgement which decriminalized these acts. YAY!

So with that, Bollywood has taken advantage of this judgement to create one of the most ground-breaking movie on this subject.

Drum-rolls, please! 

SHUBH MANGAL ZYADA SAAVDHAN (transl. Extra careful of marriage) - wikipedia

YES! This is the first homosexual movie to be released in theaters in India! And if there's any indian out there you can definitely recognize the actors! 

Ayushmann Khurrana- The bollywood king of content and Jitendra Kumar A.K.A Jeetu Bhaiya from TVF

This Film is set to be released on: 21st February, 2020, during the month of Love

The shooting has been wrapped this month, and the trailer is set to be released at the end of January. *Excited af*

more details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shubh_Mangal_Zyada_Saavdhan 

The teaser and cast introduction is already released in Youtube. 

before signing off, i'd like to state my thoughts.

My Opinion:

I think, that this movie is going to change the Orthodox mindsets of people in India. It is honestly very risky to be making a movie on a subject which is considered a taboo, but it might encourage young minds to come out with more self-confidence and identify themselves. 

that's it!. please support this movie in the future!

Very good news, thanks for your explication. I hope the movie will be enough daring and avoid some commonplaces. It's really a good thing ;)

Thanks for the news, but  while this may be the first Hindi movie with mainstream actors focusing mainly on homosexuality with this much attention. there have been many others  prior to this. 

Loev(2015) Evening shadows(2018) ,Dear Dad (2016)etc to name a few  which are is on Netflix(US). There is also a  Malayalam movie called Mumbai Police (2013).  There have been many others even prior, but with not much publicity. I think in Kapoor and Sons, Fawad Khan's character was gay. But I must say this movie looks more entertaining than the ones I listed. 

And  Hindi is not the only language of India it has 21 other official languages. So kindly be careful while claiming something as India's first. 

I hope with more and more movies releasing the stigma associated with the LGBTQ community in India slowly starts to disappear. As it is, even before the abolishment of   Article 377, I could see many IT companies having  LGBTQ alliances including one of the largest IT companies in the world. Hopefully awareness with move the country forward in a new direction.

I really liked Ayushman Khurrana in Dum Laga Ke Haisha and am looking forward to see him in this movie in Feb.

It's not the first.  Wikipedia has a list of Indian LGBT films: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Indian_LGBT-related_films

The most famous one is probably Fire (1996).  The first may have been Randu Penkuttikal (1978), but I'm not sure.

I agree to disagree. Smzs is a film that focuses fully on a homosexual love story. Also it will be released on Bollywood mainstream.  The movies that you've mentioned contain minor storylines or characters with not much importance. And yes, fire has a main storyline but it was later banned I guess...? Anyway, thanks for the insight.