Hey everyone it's logic time!

A poster has recently made me realize, is Start Up being rated too low? Now, people consider a rating of 1-6 as low, and there has been accusations of manipulation in the ratings. So I thought, wouldn't it be interesting to see what other shows are rated this "low" and how does Start Up compare to it?

In this list I am including all shows in 2020 from South Korea that are completed, have over 2,000 ratings, and include ratings from 1 star all the way to 6 stars. These are the stats, so use it how you will.

Disclaimer: of this list I've only seen Start Up and TKEM. If the people clamoring for higher ratings would be so oblige, tell me what ranking you think the show actually deserves, then I can post all the shows in that particular rating range, and you can them compare them. All the shows included here are rated between 7-8 stars.

Start Up - 4,946 users
1-6/10 - 14% of ratings

The King Eternal Monarch - 17,039 users
1-6/10 - 12% of ratings

Record of Youth - 6,556 users
1-6/10 - 16% of ratings

Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol - 3,788 users
1-6/10 - 13% of ratings

Oh My Baby - 2,438 users
1-6/10 - 9% of ratings

Dinner Mate - 3,465 users
1-6/10 - 8% of ratings

The Game: Towards Zero - 2,080 users
1-6/10 - 12% of ratings

Forest - 2,896 users
1-6/10 - 15% of ratings

Backstreet Rookie - 6,019 users
1-6/10 - 17% of ratings

School Nurse Files - 3,216 users
1-6/10 - 16% of ratings.

Meow, the Secret Boy - 5,075 users
1-6/10 - 17% of ratings.

Rugal - 2,659 users
1-6/10- 20% of ratings

Based on this list, Start Up is actually below average in term of "Hater" ratings.

Hello. Interesting statistic! Why did you group 1-6 together? Let's try 1/10, since a hater would pick that instead.

Percentage of people who rated 1/10:

Start-Up - 4%
The King: Eternal Monarch - 1%
Record of Youth - 1%
Oh My Baby - 1%
Dinner Mate - N/A
Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol - 1%
The Game: Towards Zero - N/A
Forest - 1%
Backstreet Rookie - 3%
The School Nurse Files - 1%
Meow, the Secret Boy - 1%
Rugal - 1%

Based on this list, Start Up is above average in terms of "Hater" ratings. In fact it has the highest.

Well for two reasons.

1. Another poster used that as a parameter for people rating the show low.

2. MDL users consider ratings below 6 to be negative reviews, while those above 7 are considered neutral to positive reviews.

3. The sampling for 1/10 is too small, and thus don't provide an accurate measure of the "Hater" metric. I chose 1-6/10 because the average comes out to above 10%

Ok, using those new parameters, is 4% of 4,946 reviews is approximately 198 users. This is not enough of a sample size. I wanted to aim for at least 10% of ratings to get a more accurate assessmen.

Also keep in mind, the MDL "Cleanse" happened before the show ended, so i'm sure those numbers will bump up when the second "Cleanse" happens. Regardless if you bump down the numbers back to 1-2%, it's not going to affect the overall ratings too much, maybe bump it up .1 more, if ever.

Now you made me want to dig deeper. If 1/10 of is considered the rating "Haters" will choose, then we can assume 10/10 is the rating "Anti Hater" or "Stans" would choose. So let us review those ratings to see both sides of the coin. Hmm, after looking at these numbers a "Cleanse" would actually bump this show lower as we approach the average?

Start-Up - 24%
The King: Eternal Monarch - 20%
Record of Youth - 11%
Oh My Baby - 10-%
Dinner Mate - 11%
Do Do Sol Sol La La Sol - 14%
The Game: Towards Zero - 12%
Forest - 12%
Backstreet Rookie - 15%
The School Nurse Files - 8%
Meow, the Secret Boy - 11%
Rugal - 12%

Hmmm... interesting, it seems that Start Up, not only has the most "Hater" ratings, but the most "Stan" ratings as well.

I suggest we bring both the "Hater" and "Stan" ratings closer to the average.

The average of the "Hater" rating is 1.5, so we will calculate 2.5% of ratings of 4,936 users, which means we will remove 123 user votes.

The average of the "Stan" rating is 13% so we deduct that from 24% and we get 11%. 11% of ratings = 542 user votes removed.

It seems to me that the "Stan" ratings are actually more influential than the "Hater" ratings. How much more effective? we get 542/123 = 440% more effective in changing the ratings.

Omg this is like math class all over again ?

You do raise some valid points, but in my opinion, 4-10 are the more normal ratings. Now, 10/10 is obviously a bit of a stretch, but it's not that far off from a reasonable rating of 9-9.5. For 1/10 you know right away it's a "hater".

I forsee we'll have more users voting for these extremes as they try to "balance" the rating to what they want.

apex191:

Omg this is like math class all over again ?

You do raise some valid points, but in my opinion, 4-10 are the more normal ratings. Now, 10/10 is obviously a bit of a stretch, but it's not that far off from a reasonable rating of 9-9.5. For 1/10 you know right away it's a "hater".

I forsee we'll have more users voting for these extremes as they try to "balance" the rating to what they want.

It doesn't really work that way. If you invalidated 1/10, you will also need to invalidate 10/10 because this is the fallacy of double standards. In my opinion all the ratings are valid, I won't say one rating is more "Real", while others are "False". That is why I respect whatever the average ratings end up to be, because I think the MDL website does a good job of aggregating actual ratings, and the number of haters vs the stans even each other out in the end. In this particular case, it even looks like the Stans are heavily manipulating the stats.

I mean if we go even further and compare this to other shows, of other years, I'm sure the bias would even be more obvious. For example, I randomly chose a Rom-com that I know is beloved by many, "You who came from the stars" . It is rated 8.6 by 48,566 users. And the 10/10 ratings is 26%. Do you see my point here? And this show is like almost universally loved, that it has spawned at least 2 remakes. And i'm sure even you will admit this is a better show than Start Up.

And, you'll notice that most of these shows have a rating of 11-13% for their 10/10 which seems the norm. Then you have two outliers, Start Up and The King Eternal, who despite rating below 8.0/10 have double the average 10/10 compared to it's contemporaries.

And we know how much negativity there has been for TKEM on MDL, and yet it has 20% 10/10? Makes you question it, since the actual ratings of the show is below 8. The same thing can be said for Start Up, 24% 10/10 ratings is a little bit troubling. This is the signs of overrated dramas IMO.

And from 10 - 9.5 there is a 14% drop in number of ratings. If anything, these advanced just shows me that the show should be rated below 7.9, but a dedicated group of people are voting this all 10's in hope that the ratings will go higher.

I thought I read that ratings by users that dropped the drama vs marked it complete don't get aggregated. I myself rated TKEM as 1/10, but I also dropped it on ep 15/16, so it seems my rating doesn't count. I'm sure there are a lot of those here too, and you can also see it in the reviews. It would make the stan ratings carry much more weight than hater ratings, to use the terms on this thread.

Reference: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/support/49893-release-notes?pid=1413965&page=1#p1413965

LBPG:

I thought I read that ratings by users that dropped the drama vs marked it complete don't get aggregated. I myself rated TKEM as 1/10, but I also dropped it on ep 15/16, so it seems my rating doesn't count. I'm sure there are a lot of those here too, and you can also see it in the reviews. It would make the stan ratings carry much more weight than hater ratings, to use the terms on this thread.

Reference: https://mydramalist.com/discussions/support/49893-release-notes?pid=1413965&page=1#p1413965

Hmmm... interesting.

I guess it would explain why TKEM is still rated so high considering how many people hated it. And why Start Up has stopped dropping.

Oh well, it doesn't bother me much.

Hopefully people read this and stop blasting HJP fans for the lower ratings.

Indian170:

Go do something better!

I blocked you. How come i can see this post?

Kimsamsoom:

Hmmm... interesting.

I guess it would explain why TKEM is still rated so high considering how many people hated it. And why Start Up has stopped dropping.

Oh well, it doesn't bother me much.

Hopefully people read this and stop blasting HJP fans for the lower ratings.

They updated the post I linked to clarify that if you haven't watched more than 1/5 of the episodes before dropping, that the rating doesn't count. I was curious how they could discount all dropped ratings in one fell swoop, this makes more sense. 

Kimsamsoom:

I blocked you. How come i can see this post?

We can see discussions even if blocked.

Who cares:

We can see discussions even if blocked.

I realized that now, that sucks :(