I don't know if anyone mentioned this already.

• Whenever they show the past, it was Fall season.
  • And whenever they show the present with Kokdu's power raging, it is snowing.

Fall season represents the fall of Kokdu. It was the fall of what could have been the Morning in their relationship.

The season ended. They are now in Winter season.

It was not only just because Kokdu is Death personified. You know, cold, and a lifeless body is also cold. It also represents the season of their relationship.

We are now witnessing how they go through the Winter of their relationship. Not only the coldness between them, but also the darkness surrounding them. Winter is when nighttime is the longest until the next equinox in March (the beginning of Spring).

Once they remove conquer the darkness surrounding them, and once they rekindle their Love, they will be able to finally see the Light and start to feel the warmth.

• That is the beginning of Spring.
  • Love = Warm.
  • Spring = New beginnings.

Real life, and real relationships, are like the seasons.

1. We begin in the Summer.
    • We fall in love.
    • We start to see each other.
    • We feel __hot__ (a.k.a. lust).
    • Everything is so colourful and lively.
  2. Then Fall comes.
    • We start to misunderstand each other.
    • We start to fight.
    • Lovers quarrel now and then.
  3. Then comes Winter.
    • We feel coldness from each other.
    • Some starts to hate.
    • Everything just seems so dark.
    • We feel hopeless and depressed.
    • Our relationship goes into hibernation.
    • The longest darkness.
  4. But if we can overcome that phase, then we start to see Spring in our relationships.
    • Spring, symbolises New Beginnings.
    • We learn to forgive each other.
    • We start to feel the warmth of Love, NOT the __hotness_, or lust, we first felt.
    • We take things slowly and simply enjoy the view.
    • We mend what needs fixing.
    • We start to prepare for the newfound hope and future of the relationship.
    • The cycle is complete, and this is when relationships get stronger and deeper.

I think this show is about the Four Seasons of Relationships. And I think this is why the title is “The Season of Kokdu”. It was not simply referring to the time when Kokdu appears, it also refers to the Winter that Kokdu brings.

This time, in 2023, that season is about to end. The couple doesn't know it, but they are in the Winter of their relationship. Always fighting, yet learning to understand and how to forgive each other.

Now, all they have to do is to conquer the darkness surrounding them. The personification of darkness that is Kim PIl Soo. He represents the beginning and end of their Winter. The very reason why they were forced to enter the Winter of their relationship far too early, not giving them enough time to enjoy their Summer phase.

^_^

UPDATE: My final review: https://mydramalist.com/profile/Shael/reviews/266563 (with additional information re: meanings)

Beautiful, this analysis. And how you have described relationships using the turn of seasons is probably something that the writer wants to convey to the viewers. (Sadly, not all in MDL could realize this.)

My take on this is that watching this drama from a wider perspective and not focusing on the small flawed details will make you appreciate the story more.

The title "꼭두의 계절" has been translated as "Kkokdu: Season of Deity" for its title English. But it could simply be read as "Kkokdu's Gye Jeol" which, for me, simply means that from the start until the end, whether it be "Oh Hyun", "Do Jin Woo" or "Kkokdu", he will always have "Seol Hee" or "Gye Jeol" in his heart (and it doesn't even matter if his mind remembers her face or not). And the fate that awaits them every reincarnation is not death but the love that draws them to each other. I am not talking about the boy meets girl and they fall in love then get married kind of love. The love I am talking about here is the love that you have clearly described above.

The kind of love that withstands the test of time. Or in this case, the test of seasons. The kind of love that unfolds (not just happens in a snap), that grows (not immediately grand in appearance) and remains (does not easily gives up and leaves). 

To what can we compare that love? I could describe it as a tree.

From a sapling a tree grows. And when the tree grows into its full form, it withstands every season: summer, fall and winter; and appears like a new creation when spring comes. All the while, it seems like the love between Oh Hyun and Seol Hee is a cycle of summer, fall and winter, but not spring. How come? Probably because the love inside Oh Hyun became stubborn rage against the deity and the extreme coldness and extreme heat of the underworld made it seem like spring would never come. But his 99 years on earth is not simply an added punishment, it also serves like a bridge that could either lead him to another cycle of summer, fall and winter or to a new spring which comes from a faithful and courageous love.

"I love you."

Seol Hee/Gye Jeol bravely saying these words despite knowing that Kkokdu might die (assuming that the "peace" that "will come" means death) was spoken from a heart that loved from the beginning and a heart that is willing to love until the end. 

Oh Hyun died in front of a tree in full bloom.
Oh Hyun became Kkokdu and lived in the underworld beside a tree that gradually dried up.

Will we see that tree filled with life once again? Only one episode left and we'll find out.

(I feel like I just wrote gibberish. I hope it somehow makes sense. Haha.)

Shine Son:
(I feel like I just wrote gibberish. I hope it somehow makes sense. Haha.)

No worries, does make sense. ^_^

(Apologies for the late reply.)