Our Beloved Summer's Cookies Crumbs

If you have watched this drama, you must have known that the staff put a lot of attention to details to embrace the story gracefuly! I want to share something I have gathered, starting from episode title.

Each episode has epilogue's caption as its titles with actual movie reff
( It's confirmed by PD note on sbs website )
AT FIRST, I assumed it is from 3rd party POV aka Jiwoong's perspective,
but now more episode has been released, I realize it is from every main character perspective.

*keep in mind all the things written below is my opinion, feel free to share yours and discuss further*

Episode ReffCW = Choi WoongYS = YeonsooJW = Jiwoong
Ep. 1
"I Know What You Did Last Summer"

American Horror Movie about the lies people tell to maintain comfortable lives.
CW : Literal meaning : He noticed every little thing that Yeonsoo did.
YS : She lied about living her life just fine without Woong.
JW : He always observed both main leads. He lied to himself that he was fine not being the main character.
Ep. 2
"1,792 Days of Summer"

Romance movie "500 days of summer"
CW & YS : spent 1,792 days dating before breaking up.
JW : He spent literal 20 years aka 1,792 days of summer with Woong since elementary school.
Ep. 3
"10 Things I Hate About You"

American Romcom Movie // The heroine is similiar w Yeonsoo
JW : how his action in the past lead the main character to fall w each other ( You can see more of this in the manhwa )
Ep. 4
"The Boy, or the Girl, I Liked Then"

Korean title of Taiwanese Top Movie "You Are The Apple of My Eye".
But literal translation is "The girl we liked back then?". Though the writer instead also added "소년" or "boy" into it. This title made me confused a lot because the word "boy", I thought Jiwoong was gay lol
Ep. 5
"A Secret That Can’t Be Told"
Taiwanese Romance Movie "Secret".
It is about a boy who meet a girl from the past and how he gives up his present to be with her. Please watch it! It is amazing story.
CW & YS : All explained from the synopsis.
JW : How he can't tell his true feeling to his friend. This is just speculation, but in the movie the main lead left his closest person to be with female lead. I hope in this case Jiwoong still have unbreakable brotherhood relationship with Woong T__T
Ep. 6
"Pride and Prejudice"

Everyone must know about this already, it is a popular romantic satire novel about woman who learns about the repercussions of hasty judgments and comes to appreciate the difference between superficial goodness and actual goodness.
YS : It is linked to her past background and why she lets go Woong.
Ep. 7
"Catch Me If You Can"

American Action Movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio!
It illustrates the costs, rewards, and ethical dilemmas of deception and self-disclosure in interpersonal relationships.
CW & YS : Literal meaning, how they run away and catch each other lol
Ep. 8
"Before Sunset"

American Romance Movie Series "Before Sunrise" & "Before Sunset"
The movie wrestles with complex human emotions and puts it into words better than anyone ever could have. This movie really captures both CW & YS awkwardness, affection, and beauty that, when thrown together and mixed with the passage of time, produce that thing that we call love.
Ep. 9
"Just Friends"

American Romance Movie with same title.
This shows how CW and YS was each other first love. We also get NJ references in this movie from character Samantha, a celebrity who also has a crush on the male leads.
The title also describes the whole episode, how CW isn't ready enough to have serious relationship with YS, so he asked to be friend first with her. Is it right for them to be friend? Well, fortunately YS takes it well, confronts him, and going forwards against her pride.
Ep. 10
"Hello, My Soulmate"

Chinese Romance Movie "Soul Mate".
Ep. 11
"Our Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days"
French Romance Film "My Nights Are More Beautiful Than Your Days". It was love story about two broken people who ended their lives together at the end. Sad ending from the reference but don't worry.

"Our Night Is More Beautiful Than Your Day" has the same title as classic korean pop song by Kona from 1996. The song captures beautifuly the relationship between Woong & Yeonsoo and there is connection in their dialogue. If you read the lyric, it sounds like a perfect proposal from Woong to his beloved lover, Yeonsoo-ya.

"Someday, spend all the mornings of the world with me.
In the same place and time, let's open our eyes together."
Ep. 12
"Begin Again"
American musical comedy movie with same title.
Ep. 13
"Love Actually"
American romance comedy movie with same title.
Ep. 14
"Life is Beautiful"
Italian comedy drama film with same title.

Ep. 15
"COMING SOON"

Ep. 13
"COMING SOON"

More episode [ coming soon. ]

Theory I have written with Literature Reference
click thumbnail for details
Choi Jjongjjong Metaphor

Official Poster
Hint about their difference background
shown in the shoes they wear.
Woong wears brand new like white shoes while Yeonsoo's shoes looks worn out.

Yeonsoo has yellow tee wrapped around her like a hug. It is her couple tee! This yellow tee is kept under Woong's drawer for years after their breakup.

The background looks like alley near Yeonsoo's home.
Flashback to when Woong & Yeonsoo had their first kiss bench in rainy days. They both got drained, the two uniforms here resembled that day.

The background looks like Yeonsoo's home.
Easter Eggs
Tiny little details that made the story richer
Yeonsoo's hair style that indicate the timeline
from long straight, to wavy, then short hair
Gadget version changes every period
Blue as Woong's hint
Yellow as Yeonsoo's clue

Same but different dialogue all over said by Yeonsoo & Woong
More soon
More soon
About OST, because I love all of the soundtracks
Props to Nam Hyeseung, the golden composer of korean OST. She wrote all the soundtracks!
Click on thumbnail for official release
Pt. 1 Drawer - 10cm
About the yellow couple tee that Woong has kept in his drawer for years!
Pt. 2 Maybe If - Bibi
Every 'What if' question and moments that Yeonsoo always has in mind. What if they have done all of these 'what ifs',  maybe that summer would be more beloved.
Pt. 3 Squabble - Ha Sung Woon
The up and down from their first meeting, dating days, and when they reunite again. Why they bicker at each other as if it is normal things to do. This song is from Woong's POV
Pt. 4 There For You - Kim Na Young
All the pain that Yeonsoo hide, all the sadness that Woong endure. How she looked at Woong who has changed a lot in 5 years. How she pretended to be okay.
Pt. 5 Christmas Tree - V
The lyric captures everything, Woong has always wanted to tell a million tiny reasons why he fell for Yeonsoo.
Pt. 6 Home, Why - Janet Suhh
Lives up to its title, depicts how Choi Woong and Yeonsoo were each other home of their heart.
Pt. 7 The Giving Tree - Lee Seung Yoon
We can never forget special feelings that we had then for someone. How we wish we could go back that time. Same with Woong, who want to feel all these things all over again. All the fun things with Yeonsoo.
Pt. 8 Summer Rain - Sam Kim
Memories where they used to walk together at the alley on Yeonsoo's way home. The slight shoulder touch and back of hands rubbing against each other. How Woong tells Yeonsoo that it is okay to show her pain and that she can lean on him.

Before Sunset is my favorite of Linklater's Before Trilogy. Its theme and parallels really fit not just the episode but whole drama imo.  In Before Sunset, Celine and Jesse reunite after that fateful romantic encounter 9 years before (Before Sunrise), both successful in their own career but later revealed that they're miserable in their personal relationships. The reunion's awkward at first but the more they spent time with each other the more they reveal their issues, rekindle longing and affection, and we know how the movie ends :p

izien:

Before Sunset is my favorite of Linklater's Before Trilogy. Its theme and parallels really fit not just the episode but whole drama imo.  In Before Sunset, Celine and Jesse reunite after that fateful romantic encounter 9 years before (Before Sunrise), both successful in their own career but later revealed that they're miserable in their personal relationships. The reunion's awkward at first but the more they spent time with each other the more they reveal their issues, longing and affection, and we know how the movie's ends :p

Thanks for sharing!! I myself haven't watched it yet. I only read the story conclusion and grasp overall moral lesson from it, your explanation makes me want to start watching it. <3

o_reo123:

Thanks for sharing!! I myself haven't watched it yet. I only read the story conclusion and grasp overall moral lesson from it, your explanation makes me want to start watching it. <3

The whole trilogy, we mostly just watch only Celine and Jesse spending time in a day but their dialogues are so engaging (and romantic of course), you'll not regret it!! 

Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Jane Austen's novel and I've watched two of its live adaptations (BBC's 1995 series with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth, 2005 film with Keira Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen) so I need to comment :p

I find it hard to draw exact parallel at first; PP's heroine Lizzy Bennet is confident and witty and excels at social skills while Yeon Soo is not really (social wise). Then both have their own kind of inferiority complexes; Yeon Soo's is poverty and Liz's is her family situation: Liz's sisters are airheads that chase after officers in uniforms, her mother is superficial and silly woman, one of her sister caused a big scandal and nearly caused an irreparable family shame.

Yeon Soo's pride caused her to break up with Woong, Lizzy's pride hurt when she's first heard Darcy's comment: "She is tolerable, but not handsome enough to tempt me" in a ball caused her to start hating the man (at first) and become prejudiced.

Here are my interpretations on the meaning of each OSTs:

Part 3 - Squabble by Ha Sung Woon
Refers to Woong and Yeonsoo's accidental meetings and how they continuously argue along those meetings, just like the title 티격태격 (which means bicker/argue). For me, it's more towards Woong's POV. There's a line that says "My name comes out of your lips in a not so sweet way, and I don't like it."  it reminds me of the ending of episode 3 where YS shouted "Choi Woong!" at him, but back in the days when they used to date, YS said his name in a sweeter way (episode 8) that's why the lyrics shared a bit frustration of CW's, and maybe YS's too.

Part 4 - There For You by Kim Na Young
I love this song. It reminds me of YS, but also a bit of CW. YS rarely shared her true feelings to CW after the breakup, considering she's the type of person who pretends to be okay and hides her feelings. "Actually, even if I'm pretending to be fine, I fear that you'll find out about my heavy feelings. I try to hide my shaking eyes while facing you..." this line resembles YS a lot. Also, I found a line that correlates with CW: "I was waiting for you to turn around", maybe it refers to the breakup scene where he asked YS "Why we should break up?" hoping for her to turn around.

Part 5 - Christmas Tree by V
Oh gosh. The lyrics are really poetic I couldn't comprehend half of it T__T. But it is really beautiful, and Nam Hyeseung also said that this song is the "element key" to Our Beloved Summer (knowing how it's used in romantic scenes a lot ><).  The song is definitely about YS and CW falling in love (+ dating). "Perhaps, do you know? You have a side that only I know" CW says that a lot. And another line that I like: "Sometimes I don’t understand you, but it always brings me back to where you are" that's soooo YS CW :D They bicker a lot - by not understanding each other - but always come back to where they started. For the word "christmas trees" I'm still not sure, hope the drama would give some type of tree decorating scene to kind of explain it^^ (it'd be cute too!)

Part 6.1 - Home by Janet Suhh
Simple. YS and CW are each other's home ♡

Part 6.2 - Why by Janet Suhh
About wishing and missing. YS and CW miss the times they had back then, wishing they would return. But once they try to forget, sudden changes made them face each other again.

It's fun to share things like these. I'm looking forward to the remaining OSTs, and I would like Heize, Okdal, or Lee Mujin to do an OST for Our Beloved Summer as well!

@izien

I wish I can like reply in discussion forum!! It's been years since I watched Pride & Prejudice, and I only watched the newer ver (2005). I missed a lot of that little differences, thank u for mentioning it! It is fun to read that.

@lastdance 

I know right! It is so exciting to read about other people's interpretation. I love your view on the songs. Also, I also want Okdal to feature in one song!! Their vibe suits the warm atmosphere of this drama and I can imagine the happy song of obs from them. <3

Update

I have updated the OST list and embed official MV link to its thumbnail!

OST Pt. 7 Update

Cover Thumbnail for Hill Tree - Lee Seung Yoon. Can't wait for the official release! 
Also soon we will get Sam Kim - Summer Rain too ✊

Episode 9 Update

"Just Friends"
American Romance Movie with same name.
This shows how CW and YS was each other first love. We also get NJ references in this movie from character Samantha, a celebrity who also has a crush on the male leads.
The title also describes the whole episode, how CW isn't ready enough to have serious relationship with YS, so he asked to be friend first with her. Is it right for them to be friend? Well, fortunately YS takes it well, confronts him, and going forwards against her pride.

Ep 10's title is Hello my soulmate..

It is Kim Dami's upcoming film which adapted from Chinese movie with the same title Soulmate.. after i watched ep 10.. Personally i think, The 'soulmate' is reffering to Ji Woong.. because he's the one who always on Choi Woong's side even before Woong dated Yeon soo..And after watching and observing episode 10.. yeah.. the main focus is about Ji woong and choi woong's friendship..

In Kim Dami's movie Hi, My Soulmate  it is about the friendship between women..because it hasn't been release yet.. I'm going to connect the friendship between Ji woong and choi woong with the Chinese version which is Ansheng and Qiyue (They're both female) so its the opposite..
-Ansheng and Qiyue meet at school at the age of 13 // Ji Woong and Choi Woong meet since they in kindergarten..

-Ansheng live with her single mom and often left alone by her busy single mom..She is welcomed by Qiyue's family which is kind to her.. // The conditions really the same with Ji Woong and Choi woong's

- One day Qiyue met Jiaming a good looking boy.. and she brought Jiaming to hangout together with Ansheng..
However, Ansheng suddenly attracted to Jiaming which is Qiyue's crush and soon to be her lover.. Ansheng decide to leave and keep distance with Qiyue and her crush Jiaming.. // Well.. i think you can see here the connection.. in my opinion Qiyue is Choi Woong and Ansheng is Ji Woong.. and for Qiyue's lover Jiaming.. in OBS, its Yeon Soo..

For the end of the story Soulmate Chinese version.. i think you can watch it to find out the ending?? :D.. For me the connection between the movie and this drama (OBS) are only applicable in this episode (e010)..

Well thats my opinion.. feel free if you guys have any corrections or something i missed? :D :))