One Basic question. Why ML did not stop FL from kissing him?. FYI i am still watching EP1.
That confused me a bit, too. My guess is some of that scene/what happened was imagined (since that shot showed the SML's face which was also wrong)? Another theory is that he was too shocked and stunned to react and/or he already likes her a bit; she just seems to attract his worst nightmare when they're together which is why he avoids her. ๐คทโโ๏ธ
Her being naked while transform back to human never existed on the webtoon, now I'm nervous how will they play…
This confused me because the first time she woke up she was wearing the dress her sister draped her in when she fell asleep as a dog? Isn't that what happened? I wondered if they did this second turning for dramatic effect since it makes the scene SO much more embarrassing this way?
Yes! I was waiting for that comment. There must be a better way than being obnoxious and annoying. And she makes…
Yeah, I figured the communication option (i.e. telling him the truth, which seems the most logical at this point), would not make this a drama anymore, haha. You've got to have inexplicable reasons for not sharing vital information with someone that could make everyone's lives easier and better if you're scripting a drama. I know what I've signed up for by now and will appropriately suspend disbelief, BUT, that said, early on would have been the best time for her to tell him because while it is obviously mortifying for your coworker to know this (can't beat a student knowing, though; that's MUCH worse), at the beginning she didn't even like him or even really care what he thought of her, so why not just tell him then when it didn't really matter? He seems like a reasonable dude, even if he doesn't seem to like her much; he'd probably oblige to help her out. I mean, how could he refuse to give her a quick peck to help her avoid remaining a dog forever? But of course, this would leave us with no story! ๐
It's a nice change to see Eun Woo playing a role that could be his own age since he usually plays high schoolers/students.
The first two episodes were quite cute, and surprisingly funny without being completely ridiculous despite the premise, but the end of Episode 2... ๐ณ
I like the effort that goes into explaining the details of Hae Na's situation, unlike Meow, The Secret Boy which explained virtually nothing of the mechanics of what happened or why anything happened (or what was explained made little sense).
I am confused by the Joseon Period scenes inserted--what on earth are they supposed to be? At this point they were so random and I was completely lost. And I'm waiting to hear how the curse can be broken for good... ๐
Also, anyone know why they're taking forever to release the whole thing? I feel like it will lose momentum if they draw it out for so long? ๐คจ
haven't read the webtoon but how the fuck can she explain being in the nephews bed....I'm stressing
Yeah, don't know how she can talk herself out of that one! The nephew couldn't have known she would turn back to her human self or anticipate the awkwardness that would ensue, but at least he could have slept on the couch in another room!!
One aspect I couldn't understand was why Ling Bu Yi was so vengeful for having his uncle killed and clan killed.…
I finally finished this! It took me quite a long time; it's hard to binge because it's so long, but you also can't wait too long or else you forget important details since there are so many moving parts and SO many characters. I read somewhere that once a year China releases a Cdrama that has more people in one scene than a Kdrama has in the entire cast--so true! My word, I still can't get over the massive scale of this drama. It also looks like they were constantly battling rainy weather throughout filming since the ground in Luoyang is wet 75% of the time. ๐
Zhao Lusi was fantastic! And ultimately, I thought it was a super enjoyable drama. A tight script and story, great acting, beautiful cinematography, even though you DO have to suspend disbelief quite a few times (I've gotten used to this with Kdramas, though, so I was prepared). The cultural value system was tough for me to get--and also hard for me to get behind--sometimes, but they still managed to make me care about and root for the main leads despite their many flaws and the foreign system of ethics the drama had me navigate. For instance, as an American I don't have much context for the filial piety stuff and I thought it was strange to see "disobedience" used as the most powerful weapon to threaten every child into submission (also, a ridiculous amount of slapping (though this might just be a drama trope, not a cultural thing?) and what loving parent beats their daughter like that?); the irony is that our main leads got away with all manner of stuff that should have gotten them killed multiple times in that time and system but they somehow kept managing to escape serious punishment.
I loved how often the main leads used their wits to solve situations together (both were incredibly smart and perceptive; they were a great match that way) and the way they trusted each other at the end. I also love that Zisheng's interest in Shaoshang was piqued before he even saw what she looked like; she intrigued him from their first mysterious encounter.
It ended perfectly (or almost; it really was a bummer there was no wedding ceremony, and after all the drawn out parts with Empress Xuan (she was lovely, but she always took forever to say things and the scenes with her just went on and on!), I really think they could have spent more time showing them all happy).
I loved that they brought back all the characters we'd come to love and care about for the final two episodes and brought everyone's stories full circle (minus the third Uncle and Aunt). Though, we never do meet Shaoshang's older brother; wonder why they even bothered writing that brother in? ๐คทโโ๏ธ
While I loved all the parts for different reasons, I think the coziest, most nostalgic parts were when Shaoshang was adjusting to her home with all the new family members (and those epic run-ins that she had with her mom), and when she came into her own when she travelled to Hua County with her uncle and aunt. The last two episodes were pretty great, too, and getting to see Zisheng and Shaoshang constantly having to learn how to be a couple was also great to watch (though Zisheng was absolutely insufferable for a few episodes at the end of Part 1; I was right there with Shaoshang when she told him she'd had ENOUGH).
I will definitely revisit this sometime when I am in a slump and want something cozy that will last a few weeks. Will look back on this with great fondness!!
Whoah whoah it's a fantasy series not taking itself seriously and not aiming for realism.No need to start another…
True, that's a great point. And when I really think about it, other religions are also portrayed inaccurately in Kdramas, so I'm probably being overly sensitive about this one's fantastical take on Christianity. That said, the portrayal IS a large part of why I didn't love it, so I think what I said can be helpful for some in trying to decide if they'll like this drama or not. A comment like this would have helped me know what I was getting into, and that this drama probably wouldn't be my thing. Hopefully that makes sense. :)
I like the leads, but this drama is so slow. The slow burn love between the leads are so bland, they never got…
Definitely has a lot of conversations and moving parts; I personally find the conversations for the most part fascinating and complex, so while there's not a lot of "action," I find all these subtle interactions between characters, and the interplay as they make mistakes and grow, really interesting. Some of these interactions are more engaging than others. But I can see how that might not be everyone's thing. Some of the scenes are quite long!
One aspect I couldn't understand was why Ling Bu Yi was so vengeful for having his uncle killed and clan killed. I get it's awful and sad, but it just seemed over-the-top for someone as calculating and rational as Bu Yi. Finding out he was actually General Huo's son explained everything that confused me!
anyone who knows any similar drama to this drama please recommend
I just finished My Lovely Boxer and it is a lot like this one but less cutesy and fluffy and not quite as much romance. A little grittier, but heartwarming all the same. About boxing rather than weightlifting, but still a lot about athletes and the challenges they face. It even has the FL like the SML for half the drama like in this one!
Something about this one just did not jive with me, though the leads did a great job (this drama made me try to find more dramas with Kim Myung Soo, and he really gives a great performance in this!). I was also turned off by the abysmal representation of "Christianity" or whatever the religion was supposed to be in this. If they were actually going for any kind of accurate aspects of a religion that exist in the real world, this was an epic fail. Please, if you're not going to portray a religion properly, just make up a new name for the fantasy religion you invent.
does this include an autistic side character? i saw it in some short clips, but if so i'd rather not watch due…
Yes, the ML's brother has autism. Are you worried about the mannerism they give him and stereotypes about those with autism, or that he won't feel fleshed out and well-developed? I think the three main characters (FL, ML and his brother) are all quite flawed at the beginning in their own unique ways and all three go through arcs (specifically healing arcs) and grow together to become better, healthier, more stable versions of themselves. I thought it was well done, but I totally understand if it would be hard to watch.
What about the ending? That's it's happy or sad, or more specific than that?
ML doesn't die; he eventually gets his revenge, and KS gets to retire and she's happy and content. The ending with the main leads is short, but implies they are together, and there's even a small peck and a cute scene with them being happy together. It's literally in the last three minutes, though. Everyone gets a highlight of how their stories end.
The first two episodes were quite cute, and surprisingly funny without being completely ridiculous despite the premise, but the end of Episode 2... ๐ณ
I like the effort that goes into explaining the details of Hae Na's situation, unlike Meow, The Secret Boy which explained virtually nothing of the mechanics of what happened or why anything happened (or what was explained made little sense).
I am confused by the Joseon Period scenes inserted--what on earth are they supposed to be? At this point they were so random and I was completely lost. And I'm waiting to hear how the curse can be broken for good... ๐
Also, anyone know why they're taking forever to release the whole thing? I feel like it will lose momentum if they draw it out for so long? ๐คจ
Zhao Lusi was fantastic! And ultimately, I thought it was a super enjoyable drama. A tight script and story, great acting, beautiful cinematography, even though you DO have to suspend disbelief quite a few times (I've gotten used to this with Kdramas, though, so I was prepared). The cultural value system was tough for me to get--and also hard for me to get behind--sometimes, but they still managed to make me care about and root for the main leads despite their many flaws and the foreign system of ethics the drama had me navigate. For instance, as an American I don't have much context for the filial piety stuff and I thought it was strange to see "disobedience" used as the most powerful weapon to threaten every child into submission (also, a ridiculous amount of slapping (though this might just be a drama trope, not a cultural thing?) and what loving parent beats their daughter like that?); the irony is that our main leads got away with all manner of stuff that should have gotten them killed multiple times in that time and system but they somehow kept managing to escape serious punishment.
I loved how often the main leads used their wits to solve situations together (both were incredibly smart and perceptive; they were a great match that way) and the way they trusted each other at the end. I also love that Zisheng's interest in Shaoshang was piqued before he even saw what she looked like; she intrigued him from their first mysterious encounter.
It ended perfectly (or almost; it really was a bummer there was no wedding ceremony, and after all the drawn out parts with Empress Xuan (she was lovely, but she always took forever to say things and the scenes with her just went on and on!), I really think they could have spent more time showing them all happy).
I loved that they brought back all the characters we'd come to love and care about for the final two episodes and brought everyone's stories full circle (minus the third Uncle and Aunt). Though, we never do meet Shaoshang's older brother; wonder why they even bothered writing that brother in? ๐คทโโ๏ธ
While I loved all the parts for different reasons, I think the coziest, most nostalgic parts were when Shaoshang was adjusting to her home with all the new family members (and those epic run-ins that she had with her mom), and when she came into her own when she travelled to Hua County with her uncle and aunt. The last two episodes were pretty great, too, and getting to see Zisheng and Shaoshang constantly having to learn how to be a couple was also great to watch (though Zisheng was absolutely insufferable for a few episodes at the end of Part 1; I was right there with Shaoshang when she told him she'd had ENOUGH).
I will definitely revisit this sometime when I am in a slump and want something cozy that will last a few weeks. Will look back on this with great fondness!!