• Gender: Male

MBaldelli

Covington, LA
My Dream The Series
Oct 9, 2019
What an utter piece of garbage and one of the few times I would be sitting there watching the end wished I could get the time I wasted watching this series.

Character development is either being clubbed to death by the trope bat, or so wacky and out of this world it come off as completely unbelievable. For example, Runway (Best Cholsawas Tiewwanichkul) seems to be so immature for someone getting ready to complete high school he should be in a home care program for development issues. His mother (pity I can't find her listing in English, I could **ALMOST** sympathize with her plight) mysteriously goes through some form of single-mom depression that miraculously gets instantly cure by McGuffin pills. Tanai's (Taro Shatree Suwanvalaikor) interest in Runway seems to be completely bolt-on romance interest that when it comes to him being kissed by Guide (Fame Chawinroj Likitchareonsakul) it turns into a typical German soap opera trope of Love at First Kiss™, there's some nonsensical discomfort going on through the last third of the series.

The non-consentual sex/rape that's been implied for Yim (Ellfa Chollatee Bampen) is not only completely bad, it's clearly an insult to anyone that has suffered from rape when he kisses his rapist after the rapist said "he's sorry and he'll go away". Nope, no sir... this is done in Yoai that has rape fantasies in it, but in this sort of live-action story, it comes off as a COMPLETE travesty and unbelievable no matter how it's portrayed. Want a good idea on something more believable -- go watch Earth Katsamonnat Namwirote role as Tar in "Love by Chance" which is actually closer to something believable than this abomination.

The supernatural portions of the story were just plain bad... Dream (Fluke Pongsapat Kankam) is just another bolt-on Yaoi character complete with classic Turtleneck and Overcoat that seems to border too much on the pedophile than some sort of guardian spirit that came in a Dream Catcher. Elle (Choot Cherdchanin Vitapinan)/Kafe (Anna Glucks) needed more explanation for people and leaving it to interpretation simply left that to being a hot mess. The ring that Elle gave Runway was another McGuffin that really had no bloody purpose being interested in the story and Elle's magical powers that came later only make him come off more like some fox spirit out of Chinese Lore Yaoi.

But, as I said in the title; this was clearly a really badly executed story by a production house wanting to cash in on the BL fan-girl craze. Either the writers didn't know what the hell they were doing with it and had way too much in-fighting going on for the creativity, or the editor was seriously doing something that would get most people fired as too much was cut in the wrong places leaving this story with more holes than a wheel of swiss cheese.

Avoid this travesty at all cost. Because if you remove everything that was bolted on to it, you're left with a story about a boy that lost his dad and lives in some sort of fantasy world coping with that loss.

'Cause You're My Boy
Apr 2, 2019
I had been more than mildly curious about Drake Sattabut Laedeke since skimming through a bit of Slam Dance and saw he was also in that. When I saw that he had a major role in this piece, I decided to give it a look.

At first it seemed to be going in the right direction, story was a bit cliche and predictable in the BL region, but this story quickly falls apart thanks to poor editing and mediocre writing. There were several parts in the story that made no sense and it left me wondering if I missed some social more I hadn't been taught in my time in the east... Or whether it was simply really **really** bad editing/direction. I went with bad editing and buckled in for as long as I could...

I wanted to sympathize with the environment the characters were thrust into; but simply couldn't because the important bits were either poorly executed, or ended up on the cutting room floor. It left the main characters coming off as either schizophrenic or inconsistent. At episode 5, I remember talking to my family and asking, "was I that screwed up as a teenager?" While my mother laughed and said, "there were times I wondered..." Overall, I can say that with all the things that happened in my life -- at least it was more consistent than this story.

When it comes to the acting, an actor can only take his cues from the director and on-set script direction (writers sometimes, other times it's an assistant to the writer). Both Sattabut and Samthonglai often seem to be uncomfortable with what was being given to them and did their best. This is further exacerbated by the fact that most pieces are filmed out of order, leaving the actors incapable of injecting any personal bias for the overarching story. Because of this, it often felt rushed as they didn't seem to have time to draw their own conclusions or pull from their own experiences as teenagers.

The writing had moments of pure inspiration, but most times I found myself questioning what the point of the adaptation was. Bambi was the worst when it came to character development and seemed nothing more than some window dressing to try to push the plot forward. Sometimes she was a trope villain, other times she was saviour to the weird relationship between Mork and Tee. The fake relationship between Mork and Tee at the beginning was nothing more than a sketch or a farce and seemed to disappear quickly as the story unfolded. Tee's purpose through the whole of the story seemed as mystifying and as confusing as someone trying to herd cats. As for Mork's? Well... And the message of "love knows no limits of gender" was quickly buried in quagmires of traditional and modern dysfunctions against homosexuality. The secondary characters of Morn and Gord were more a bait and switch for the poor story of the main characters and should have either gotten their own story or completely written out.

About the only thing I was left with through most of my watching was, Mokr and Tee have more history than what was hinted at in the flashbacks. And while I see there's a prequel in the works/release... If it has the same director and writing staff; I believe it's in my best interest to leave it to my imagination. At least can put together a better plot.

Sound quality had several serious WTH moment leaving me wondering whether sections of the audio tracks were re-recorded because of poor rushes checking, or whether the production squandered their budget on other things than filming . Because during editing, someone might realized that the dialog was lost to wind or distance. On more than one occasion, I got the distinct impression that the actors were wearing their microphones as the scraping of pillows and other objects they were holding had interfered with the scene, causing me to lose immersion.

Admittedly I gave up at episode 7. The Story telling was too painful for my sensibilities. Those that got to the end, I salute you. This crotchety old critic would prefer something better to watch.