• Gender: Male

etherealtaekibum

England
Seondal: The Man Who Sells the River
Apr 7, 2018
Being the first Korean movie I've watched in my time, Seondal: The Man who Sold the River had a lot to live up to. I had high expectations, told by my friends that Korean movies had a certain charm to them within their storytelling. Of course, being a fan of EXO, I decided to start with Seondal, with the guest star of Kim Minseok [Xiumin], who played Gyeon.

From the start of Seondal, I found myself hypnotised. The storyline played out beautifully, fully capturing your attention from the start. With a harrowing beginning of war and loss, it's hard not to feel for the characters at the start. The first thing I noticed was Seungho Yoo, playing the main character - Kim Inhong aka Kim Seondal. His acting as our main character shows within the first few minutes as his honourable character begins with his protective nature and charm. Seungho really creates a character that is likeable from the beginning - even though we know Inhong is written out and scripted, Seungho brings a truly amazing feeling to the character and truly makes Inhong his own.
Following on from Seungho as Inhong, there is also Kim Minseok as Gyeong. An idol that I have grown to be quite fond of over the past year, Gyeong was a character that I was very much looking forward to meeting in this film, and my expectations were definitely not let down. Kim Minseok brings to Gyeong a side of the character that felt playful, but still serious. Along with his own heroic and honourable actions, it's hard not to fall in love with this misshapen small family of crooks.

The storyline itself of family, loss, and revenge truly shows the spirit of this film. A storyline that's often overdone in a lot of genres and in many countries nowadays, this film truly brings to light how it all connects together. It's been a while since I watched a film about family and it was as connected and well done as Seondal is. There's a connection between all the characters, and as well done as the film has been made, it's obvious that they all had a lot of fun filming it. When you can see this, I believe it truly makes the film even better, showing that the actors truly enjoyed themselves.

Overall, this film truly has a lot of charm to it. With its mix of comedy but yet darker storylines, innocence and the ruining of innocence, and the reminder of war throughout, this touched my heart in ways I never expected this film to do. I found throughout this I felt every emotion that the producers wanted us to, and I found myself in tears numerous times. If you've never watched a Korean film before - I recommend this is your first one. If you are looking for another film to watch, I recommend this. It's a work of art, and I will definitely be watching this plenty more times in the future.

Ghost Squad
Oct 17, 2019
MyDramaList Watch Challenge 2019 - Watch something with less than one thousand members of the site marking it as complete. Completed status: 2

If I did a shot for every dumb or unnecessary, or over the top or just downright ridiculous thing in this movie, I'd be having my stomach pumped and be having a liver and kidney transplant right now.
I'm no stranger to over the top Japanese horror/horror-comedies - in fact, I'm quite a fan of a lot of the over the top horrors (i.e. Tokyo Gore Police, Liverleaf), but an hour and a half of this hour and forty-minute movie was just not needed at all.

This could have been a really decent film if the director has just toned it down a slight bit and it really could have been a serious 3-4/5 star movie. Shame that didn't happen, whoever recommended this to me owes me almost two hours of my life back.

#NoFilter
Oct 16, 2019
#NoFilter was a short film I stumbled across on YouTube when looking for a good horror short to watch and after looking up what it was, the poster and synopsis caught my eye as something maybe worth watching. It was only six minutes, it wasn't long so I decided to go for it and have a look at it anyway - if it sucked, it's only six minutes of my life.

What I found was a short that started perfectly normally and didn't feel foreboding in any way and then, within two minutes, I was taken to feeling uneasy to pure unnerving content being flashed at me that will definitely be flashing back across my eyelids when I go to sleep tonight.

I admit if this was in a full-length feature film; I wouldn't be rating this scene so highly; I'm rating this short so highly because it's hard to bring all these emotions and such across in just 5 minutes and to do so well - many feature-length films struggle to do so across an entire hour and a half to two hours. What Rosario directed and wrote is well crafted and deserves to be noted for that.

With the message as well to stop worrying so much about how you look, as someone who's a bit narcissistic themselves, this definitely made me glance at my phone and think about how much I edit my photos before posting them. Solid 4/5

Ghost Mother
Apr 17, 2019
Ghost Mother is one of the prominent Thai movies alongside films such as Shutter. It is a film that many people recommend within the horror genre; horror fans and non-horror fans enjoy it together and revel in its creepiness and tenseness. I figured it would be one of those gems within Asian horror and if it wasn't, then I ticked off another prominent Asian horror film at least from the extensive list I have of the "OGs" to watch.

And that is pretty much all I got to do with this film. Tick a film name off a list and also catch up on some sleep.

Before I get into the nitty-gritty of things, I want to say that the cast in this was amazing. The characters all felt real and three-dimensional. There were no parts where I felt like there was bad acting or anything of the sort. The cast all did amazingly with what they had been given and I'm very interested in at least attempting to watch some other things they've been in.

That's pretty much where my enjoyment runs out.

My issue mostly that lies with Ghost Mother is that it's promoted and shared as a horror film. This is not a horror film. This is a thriller if anything. Although it fits many horror tropes, this film is not relatively scary, nor creepy or unsettling, and I struggled with finishing this - probably wouldn't have if my OCD allowed me to abandon things and not force me to finish them.
There were a few points where I did get a little tense and had my hairs stand up on end, but that was about 7 minutes of the entire film if that. This is promoted as such a wonderful horror film but it's just not. There was a point where I fell asleep for ten minutes, woke up and made a coffee, woke myself up and then almost fell back asleep during the same ten minutes.
The storyline is unique enough for it to have pulled some amazing work out of the bag but it fell short on so many levels. There are moments where I was staring at my screen confused as to what was going on, I couldn't remember some characters relationship to other characters, and all in all this just fully struggled to keep my attention for longer than a few minutes at a time. My mind kept wandering, I kept checking how long I had left to watch, and I just didn't enjoy it at all.

I admit I am sad I couldn't enjoy this film. I didn't go into it expecting a massive amazing 10/10 across the board film, but I figured it would at least be at an average or just above average standard. I went into Ghost Mother expecting a 6-7/10 film but came out of it disappointed with a 4.5/10 and I'm pretty sure I'm being nice because it's such a beloved piece. There are other Thai horror films that are truly scary, are true epitomes of horror and I recommended spending an hour and a half watching one of those, rather than this, unfortunately.

Corpse Party
Jan 30, 2019
Corpse Party is a franchise that is known throughout almost the entire horror community. When this film was announced, it was definitely a case of either it would be amazing or it would be terrible. Unfortunately, I'm on team terrible.

I've been a fan of Corpse Party for quite a while now, I've gone through nearly all forms of the franchise. The games, the anime series, and now the movies. If you don't know what Corpse Party is; a group of friends who do a small magic ritual to say goodbye to their friend end up trapped in the cursed school of Heavenly Host Elementary, where ghosts haunt the school and kill those who end up there.

Now, my issue with the movie lies within that they kept the exact same plot - but they changed many elements of it. Yet they didn't change enough of it. Instead of it seeming like a fresh new take on the anime and the games, it seems like just a bad market remake for cash in the series. Everything was the same, but nothing was the same if that makes sense - the same plot happened but they weren't separated. Characters died much before their time and it threw the whole timing off. Two specific ghosts instead of three, only one missing item between them both instead of the original three where they should have been two. One of the original villains not showing up (although he makes an appearance in the sequel - which was much better, that's for a review of Book of Shadows).

This entire movie also felt extremely rough paced. They rushed to do in an hour and a half which the anime series did in just under an hour (around 57 minutes) and that was with some of the plot taken out and some of the characters prematurely ended which took time up in the anime in their original deaths. Maybe I am comparing it too much but to change some basic elements and then not enhance anything you've changed just wasn't the best move the scriptwriters and director could have taken.

The casting was really well done - other than Yuka who seemed much younger than her teen years and not in the same way the original lore make her seem - but the reason it's rated low was the acting. Although many characters do their pieces well, some of the scenes were just inherently cringey. It was obvious - for example - where a character is scratching at the floor, the actor was hardly doing it and didn't seem scared at all. It was basic acting in the scenes where it was needed the most. The gore in this was also something that was somewhat atrocious. 2015 had some amazing special effects available to them in makeup and props alone so to see close up, dizzying shots of specific gore scenes where the gore is meant to be the main thing was also just... really eye rolling.

I don't think I could ever rewatch this myself, to be totally honest. The whole thing felt more like a money grab than anything to do with the games or the series or the lore in any sense. Many scenes should have been done better and frankly some of the actors acting ruined crucial scenes of the plot.

This was a live action that was either going to be done amazingly or just terribly and they missed the mark of anywhere near decent by miles. The sequel is a much better movie than this one and I frankly recommend just watching the series with the most basic knowledge of the lore of Corpse Party.

Ring
Oct 7, 2018
Ringu is a classic that most of us will know. Whether we know the American remake, or we sneakily watched the original when we were told not to watch the scary movie everyone's talking about, most horror fans know / have seen it. I'm glad to have finally added this to my completed list.

We all know the storyline etc, so I won't spend time writing about that.

The music within this film was something that was done extremely well. During times where nothing particularly spooky was happening, the music creates such an atmosphere that gives you goosebumps and chills.
The technique of making the film overly dark was something I particularly enjoyed. It allowed for you to lean forward and squint at the screen. It set up times where you felt increasing paranoia waiting for something to jump out when you're least expecting it.

However, despite all of the film's good points and sections that grip the viewer, I don't think I could rewatch this.
The main female lead is one of the most annoying characters I've watched in a movie. Her random mood swings, her inability to do almost anything that makes sense and to aid her family; it all adds up to a character I honestly just want to punch. The actress did an amazing job but the writer(s) definitely could have done much more with her.

After finishing this, I'm not even sure if I want to finish the series and watch the rest of the movies. Ringu finishes very strongly and doesn't have much need for follow ups; they seem very much like a claim for more money rather than a want to continue the actual story – but perhaps I'll find out.

Overall, very cleverly done, but if you like strong smart lead females, then you might wanna watch this just for having watched a classic.

Apr 7, 2018
It's Dangerous Beyond the Blankets (originally Ibul Bakkeun Wiheomhae) is a Korean reality television series; within, a number of "homebodies" (celebrities that don't like going out the house and prefer the safety of their own home) go on a short vacation to live with one another, with cameras watching them constantly.

I was excited for this reality show back when it was first announced in 2017, due to the inclusion of Kim Min Seok (aka Xiumin) in the show, a favourite celebrity of mine. When it first aired, I somehow completely forgot about the show, but managed to find it again just before the second series aired on the 5th of April.

Watching this through was absolutely wonderful. Although there are a lot of awkward silences that make you shift as a viewer, it's still absolutely wonderful. There are many instances that make you laugh out loud, although the editing of repeating clips a few times can tend to kill a funny moment very quickly, there is a lot of humour in this, that truly brings out the humour.

This show was almost never aired, due to having a cast of quiet people, but the celebrities managed to come into themselves and create relationships on camera and show their true personalities whilst having fun out of their comfort zone. This is probably one of my favourite reality shows and they truly managed to come out with a show that caught the attention of many people. If you like even one of the celebrities in this show, you should definitely give it a watch. It's hilariously brilliant.

A Late Night
Oct 16, 2019
A Late Night is one of three short films from director Kwak Sae Mi featuring a young woman walking home late at night after murders have happened in her area.

This short film is a prime example of how to drive tension, using numerous techniques that are so simple to drive the atmosphere of something being wrong. This had me on the edge of my seat for quite a bit of it and the twist at the end was really well done. A very strong contender for one of my favourite thriller shorts and shorts overall.

This short alone has got me keeping an eye on Sae Mi and I can't wait to watch her other two shorts and for what she comes up with next. This is only seven minutes long, thriller/horror enthusiasts, I recommend giving this a try.

One Missed Call Final
Oct 15, 2019
One Missed Call Final started off really strong and then three hours passed and I was thinking "damn they dragged this out" - only to look down and see that only fifteen minutes had passed and then, for some reason, it turned into The Grudge. Then the ending, one of the better parts, just sped by. I don't know what it is about this film that has the middle hour just drag out, but it's a damn shame, it really could have closed the series up better; this series probably should have been left as a duo.
Tunnel
Jun 27, 2019
The Tunnel is a movie I hadn't really heard anything about before choosing to watch it. Usually, I need to have something recommended to me before I can sit and devote my time to it; this usually cuts down me watching bad movies or movies I just didn't enjoy. Tunnel, however, was just something that came up on my Netflix after watching many k-dramas. The plot sounded similar to a lot of things (I.e. the western “127 Hours”) and I didn't give it much stock. I decided it would be something I could watch just because I knew I'd put it on my planning to watch list. I decided to kick back and watch it due to a personal goal set by my therapist and wow.

Tunnel is a film that starts off relatively slow, and, at first, I'd given up after half an hour because I didn't think there would be much more to it. Prompted to finish it, again, all I can say is just: wow.

Tunnel takes you across a journey that is utterly heart wrenching, heart thumping, leaves you on the edge of your seat and left me gasping audibly at different parts of the film. It's hard to remember this film is a work of fiction - the cast is simply amazing.

Between their raw emotional acting, the casual gentle humor and the realistic expressions and actions all characters created throughout the film, this was just utterly stunning. For the last forty minutes of the film, I was in tears. My emotions were all over the place, I was stamping my feet with the tense atmosphere, gasping out loud and had to pause a few times to wipe my tears enough to see.

The acting alone in this makes this film utterly worth the while, and I was definitely blown away. Maybe it was because I went into this film with low expectations, expecting it to be another rubbish survival movie but this had utterly everything - atmosphere, acting, soundtrack.

I would gladly sit and watch this again and I'm not someone who watches something more than once unless completely enamored. A solid 10/10 and a high recommendation.

Aurora
May 3, 2019
I stumbled across this by chance when I was browsing Netflix. Catching up on some Western horror films I'd missed that were recommended to me, Aurora popped up as a suggestion for me. I originally skipped past it before realising it was Filipino and I went back to it to watch the trailer. I've been looking to have my first films and dramas in each country on MDL so I decided to go ahead with Aurora being my fist Filo film after clarifying it was Filipino.

My Twitter friends said that it was hyped up in the Philippines but it was commonly held as a bit of a flop within the horror genre.

Now, Aurora is made and is meant to be a horror film. I went into it expecting to be a little spooked, not to a high degree because of the reviews I had heard said it was pretty bad. The few CGI effects to give this the horror theme completely tanked for me, and I won't lie - the horror is pretty bad. It doesn't hold its own as a horror film in any form.

However, the acting in this, the story behind it are intriguing. It kept me hooked in, it kept me rooted in my seat in pure curiosity. This is definitely a much more sad thriller than a horror film. I finished this feeling devastated, with tears in my eyes after the credits began to roll. The acting in this made this utterly amazing, the cast truly brought the feelings in this to life. It felt like this was currently happening in Asia, watching these families go through their loss and watching Leanna and her younger sister was going through hell.
The music in this was as well amazing, it fits the film perfectly; there wasn't a single score in this that didn't help my emotions lift or drop alongside the story.

I think the best way to go into this film is to not expect a good horror film. Expect a sad, chilling thriller that is similar to many real-life occurrences around the world. Not as good as it could have been as a horror film, but definitely give this a try if you like sad films.

LOONA X Weekly Poem
May 3, 2019
Ethereal. That is the only way I can find to describe this short series.

Six of the LOONA girls (Hyun Jin, Kim Lip, Ha Seul, Hee Jin, ViVi and Yeo Jin) come together to recite short poems each episode. This seems pretty basic, but the work that has gone into this leave this series utterly stunning. Each video's cinematography and editing gives each poem reading an adventure for the senses. You can almost smell the scenes in each video. Following this series is breathtaking, with each girl's video with a serene music track in the background and gorgeous clips of their visuals; it gives every video such a moving performance and it's really worth the twelve-minute watch.
This is so relaxing that I feel like I've been 'purged' of all my negative emotions after watching this, during and after it has finished. It is just so calming, I cannot recommend this enough.

Girls in the Dark
Apr 18, 2019
The Dark Maidens is a film that I did not have the intention of watching at all. I hadn't seen a trailer for it, I had not come across its page on MDL or IMDB, nothing of the sort. I was clearing out my "watch later" list on my YouTube when I came across "Mystery 2017 School Japan Detective Eng Sub" and I decided since I had some time to kill I'd watch it and see why I had it saved in my to watch later.

I think I can safely say that is one of the best decisions I have done when it comes down to watching something because of random chance.

When I first began this, due to the name the uploader had set it as (The Dark Maidens), I believed this was going to be another high school set suicide blood fest horror film living up to many of Japan's horror tropes in their films. After the first twenty minutes or so, I had to pause to come and read the synopsis because I was confused. After reading it, I did think twice about watching it as I don't really go for the whole murder mystery genre; I find quite often Japan doesn't do it as well as they do their high school based horror. Shrugging it off, I decided why not because I'd already started it: and wow.

The Dark Maidens took me on a long, twisting, amazing journey of friendship and betrayal, of life and death. The first thing I picked up from this film was the utterly beautiful connections from well-known murder mysteries - such as Miss Marple and Agatha Christie, of whom are referenced in the film's prominent literature club. Although reminiscent, it still had its own originality that left me glued to my screen - something that is pretty rare for me. Usually, I have to pause quite a bit and rest my eyes due to poor eyesight and having to read subtitles, but I watched this almost entirely in its completeness.
As the twists begin to unfold, the story becomes more and more convoluted with such a shocking twist and turn at the end that was nothing short of smart. I was confused for a short while in this film but the script writing sets it up utterly perfectly for its ending. The writing in this is absolutely nothing sort of genius and I haven't been left this gobsmacked by a twist in a film for a long, long time.

The cast in this was perfectly selected. Every single cast member played their roles perfectly, whilst also giving off such a feeling of ethereal beauty (along with a little help from the gorgeous editing), that made me feel like I was watching a twisted fairy tale rather than a murder mystery. Their acting in this was spot on and they took what they were given with the script and made it, simply, their own.

Every single thing about this film adds up to create something that I would say is nothing short of a masterpiece. There was nothing in this film I can even recall as a fault, nor can I think of anything I would have liked to see more or done better. This is one of those films I recommend everyone try if they can find the time to try it out and I am utterly grateful for whatever choices I made to sit and watch it when I did. This has definitely opened me up to the murder mystery genre; that's something I never thought would happen with how obvious and guessable many are in the genre.

I have seen comments and remarks that this is quite rushed for the film considering this is based off a book and frankly, I' thankful I watched the film first. I didn't know this franchise existed and I will definitely be reading the book later this year after watching this. I would say, having not read the book, if you want a full experience for the film to definitely watch the film first. I don't think if I had read the book first that I would have enjoyed this as much as I had done and although it spoils some of the book, from what I have seen, there is a lot more content in the book that is free game to discover brand new even after watching the film.

Note: My rewatch value rating is pretty low, but that's because after the first time you watch it with all the initial twists and such that - half of the original intrigue is gone. I'd definitely rewatch it again, but I definitely don't think it would have the same all round effect as the first time you watch it. It is definitely not anything against the film at all.

Teketeke 2
Apr 18, 2019
Then this is just an insult to the word "bad" as a descriptive word for a film.

Spoilers for the first Teke Teke film here; in the original parent story, we see a typical urban legend horror film that's based around finding out what is going on and how to stop it and can it even be stopped. It's quite a cliche for an urban legend horror film and as much as I didn't enjoy it (I gave the original film 4.0/10), it still made me laugh and have one or two tense moments and jump scares.
I did not want to watch the second film, I only did because leaving a film or drama series unfinished irks my OCD. This was more of a chore for me so maybe I liked it a lot less because I already went into it expecting nothing - but even then I still came out disappointed.

Teketeke 2 is set as a sequel directly onwards from the original Teke Teke film and that is exactly where this film makes its first mistake. This film is only an hour and twelve minutes long, there isn't much time to fit everything in without it being rushed - so they decided that the first 5 minutes of this second film would be a recap of the first. This cut down the film time for the second movie to an hour and 7 minutes.
You would think that this film would be rushed with an overall run time of 67 minutes to fit an entire film into, but, you'd be wrong. The first quarter of this film is so slowly dragged out that I ended up pausing and drinking numerous coffees to keep myself awake watching it. There is so much that is unnecessary for many scenes to include in this for the ultimate movement of the film, that cutting out what isn't necessary at all would bring the film down to maybe 55 minutes in actual length. There is so much you can actually skip when watching this, it is eye-rolling.

After the first quarter of the film, things - thankfully - begin to speed up... and then things just start getting way too rushed. Instead of levelling it out, the directors instead slowed it down as much as possible and then just threw everything in at once instead of cutting out unnecessities and adding in necessities in more detail. You would think after what comes across as quite a rookie director mistake that it would get better but... it doesn't.

The special effects in this are even worse than in the first film. The blood is unbelievably fake that they are using for these death scenes that I think if I had been able to care what was going on, I would have laughed so loudly it would have hurt. Thankfully, the CGI is a little better than the original film (if you haven't seen the ridiculous and infamous Teke Teke jump gif, you're missing out) but it's still not enough to even try and save this film. The good CGI was an attempt to defibrillate someone who's been dead for six years and unburied from their coffin; they literally just tried to give CPR to a skeleton and called it a day.

If the too slow, then way too rushed ridiculous blood spraying wasn't enough to thoroughly ruin any enjoyment I could have gotten from this film, then they turned it into the Ultime Cliche. Ultimate Cliche x Ultimate Cliche. Not only do they still follow some of the (more unliked) cliches of urban legends films, this becomes an over the top Asian high school kids bullying revenge royale. They have managed to take unliked tropes from urban legends and include some of the most well-liked cliches from high school horror films - probably in an attempt to save some of the film with well-liked tropes - and somehow managed to make tropes that don't get old fall flat on their face ridiculously hard.

This entire film was a mess from start to finish.

And I'm sad; Teke-teke was an urban legend that I discovered when I was quite young. It used to give me nightmares and make me wake up chilled and pulsing with adrenaline. It used to haunt me under the covers and whenever I had to walk home at night alone. The film series was always so enticing to me because I wanted to be scared, I wanted it to spark back those childlike feelings of paranoia and terror.
Unfortunately, the overactive imagination of an eleven-year-old built a better plot in a nightmare than a director could do for a renowned film.

Definitely just skip this film; the first film can get away with a lot of stuff if you let it but the second one doesn't have a chance to hide from a lot of its injustices. Skip this series and watch a different urban legend film; you'll thank me for it in the future when you stumble across this on late night television and realise you were going to watch it long again.

13 Real Asian Horror Stories
Apr 17, 2019
13 Real Asian Horror Stories is one of those ghost story collection films that are prominent quite a bit throughout Asian horror. Every country has at least one of them, a collection of short stories that are usually based on real-life events that are used to catch the viewer off guard and to make them shiver.

13 Real Asian Horror Stories starts off amazingly. The tense atmosphere and build up had goosebumps rising on my skin and made me somewhat anxious. The starting story seemed amazing even if the acting was pretty bad. I can sit through some bad acting for a good adrenaline rush and I wasn't going to condemn the film for a bit of bad acting before it properly kicked off.
And then I got to 6 minutes into the film where we see our first scary occurrence and at this point, I have regrets within utter split seconds.

This films CGI and special effects are so bad, I honestly thought it looked like it was edited on MS Paint. The first ghost we actually see looks like a superimposed video meme, and that was it. Once the first tense moment is ruined by this MS Paint looking ghost foot, the tension is gone. It struggles to build it back up again and struggles to hold up its premise of a good horror film as everyone so says it is.

There was maybe one story in this I really liked and though the actors held their own in - the music box segment. Even this one, being my favourite easily and maybe even one of my favourite short Asian horror shorts, fell short (no pun intended) in keeping it's special effect up. The ending of the segment itself was cringy and eye rolling.
The rest of the individual stories were just shockingly boring. I understand that these are small occurrences that have happened in people's everyday lives but there was no fear factor to them. To say that these were horror stories, I would even say, is a bit of a reach. These are more slice of life segments or could even be argued as a mock documentary.

I don't want to criticise the actors too much as it was clearly their first proper acting roles for many of them rather than a small cameo or a short guest role in the background of a film or drama, but really the acting just missed the mark completely. The child actors, I understand their issues with being on film a little more than the adult actors, but also a lot of the child actors acted better than some of the adults. I would be interested to watch some of the casts' later roles that they had after this if they did have any, but if they did get anything else after 13 Real Asian Horror Stories, I would be utterly shocked.

Overall, if I go on more about my issues with this, this review is going to end up a short novella - inherently, this has a good premise. This film had a lot going for it but utterly missed the mark completely. There are plenty of other horror story film collaborations that have the exact same issues (small budget, brand new to acting casts, etc.) and have managed to put out utter gems. This took me six hours to watch because I kept struggling to stay awake and find any form of interest in the film after the first 6 minutes. Honestly, skip this, catch a different horror film/story collaboration and enjoy your time watching a film instead.