• Join Date: October 10, 2017

Long Time No See
Jan 5, 2018
Hands down, this is the best movie I've watched in a long time. In fact, the only issue I have with it is that it's too short, so sit back and enjoy my verbal spew of compliments. Oh, and before I begin: THIS IS *NOT* A TRAGEDY. I repeat, less obnoxiously, Long Time No See has a happy ending.

The story is well developed but a bit rushed since this is quite short for a movie. There are several things I could see being fleshed out better with more time, but they use the time they have well. I'd give a summary, but I probably would end up spoiling something.

Acting/Cast:
Alright, this is my favorite part. There were three scenes I watched maybe thirty times each because of how raw and real the acting was. The cast knows what they're doing. The gang boss we see the most of frequently over acts and it threw me off at first until, after a few more interactions, I realized his personality was extra, not his acting. Chisoo, our protagonist, almost pushed me to the brink of tears and I have literally never cried over a movie. The combo of Chisoo and Gitae and all the emotion the shoved into every scene didn't bother pushing me; it punted me past the sun and directly into a galaxy of ugly sobbing. And I was damn glad for it. Okay, let me not get to into this, the short version is simple: the acting is amazing. The cast is amazing.

If you watch this movie and happen to notice the music, I don't think you're watching hard enough. It took a couple run-throughs before my brain could focus on anything but the immediate action. The music that I did hear and process was good, more so because it fit and blended into scenes instead of snatching me out of them.

Rewatch Value:
I rewatch no movies. Ever. I just don't have the attention span, especially if I already know what happens. That said, I have watched this movie three times in as many days and I'm not bored yet.  In fact, every time I watch it again, I have a bit more fun (and bemoan how short it is a little harder).

Overall:
Watch this movie. Watch this movie because there is absolutely something in it that will make it a favorite of yours. I was wary at first, but it was 100% worth my money and I'd pay for it again even. The happy ending is just a bonus, because this would be my review even if it was a tragedy.

Secret Spectacles
Feb 22, 2018
I just noticed this was by Strongberry which means, as a die hard fan of LTNS, I had to watch it. So, this is short, but worth a watch, provided you can find it.

By far the weirdest premise I've seen moved to screen. In manga/hwa, I wouldn't be surprised by it at all, but I did manage to surprise me since it's not as cliche in this medium. That said, for all that the premise, which I am doing my best not to spoil, shocked me, it was executed well. The beginning of the short film is meant to confuse you a bit, you're meant to make some leaps and jumps and assume some things which will later be proved wrong. I like that.  I was thinking at first that this would be more serious but there's comedy and token cringe-humor spinkled heavily throughout.

Acting/Cast:
The actors did very well. I'm pretty used to short films having generally unconvincing acting, but they held their own okay. The actors weren't revolutionary or anything, the kiss scene was awkward as all get out, but, overall, I didn't actually focus on their acting at any point, which typically means it wasn't blatantly obvious that they were acting.

I remember a few (namely, two) tunes that I heavily considered Shazam-ing. Make of that what you will.
EDIT: no, I'm definitely going to go find the song at the end, it's cute. Kind of. Like amusing cute, I don't know.

Rewatch Value:
I had to watch it twice, actually. Mostly because cringe-humor is my kryptonite and I have to skip to when everything's okay, then go back and watch the awkwardness. That said, I'd give it three watches at most, and spaced out watches at that, before it's degraded too far to watch again. The premise can only really grab you once, the awkwardness can only curl you up into a ball of cringe so many times. As much as I already think realistic awkwardness might be Strongberry's forte, this is a short film, so it's not strong enough to support that weight. Nor would I expect it to be. It was a fun watch, both times. But I think I'll watch it maybe once more in the future, if that, and be done with it.

Overall:
This is a stupidly long review for a short film, I have no idea why I have so many thoughts on it so I'll be concise here: worth a watch, worth your time, but won't knock your socks off.