Editorials
Meh. I know it's a staple of the genre and that it allows characters to actually be killed off in dramatic ways rather than implausibly surviving things that ought to kill them, but rebirth always feels like a cheat of an ending because the characters have lived different lives and those experiences aren't the ones the viewer has come to care about, even if reincarnation supposedly means that the essence of who they are is unchanged no matter what.
Was this review helpful to you?
I suppose Yue Qi's thought sword put Zhu Yu to sleep rather than killing her so that the threat of her return can be the premise for a sequel series, but I doubt I'll be watching it if so.
Was this review helpful to you?
Well. This certainly cut down on the number of characters to keep track of, though I've little doubt that one of the later episodes will feature a LOT of flashbacks to these characters as they're remembered by whomever survives.
Was this review helpful to you?
I'm sorry to say, because I liked Ju Shi Fang, but I called it: I called it way back that Ju Shi Fang would have to die to teach Shuo Xuan a lesson about what really matters. But, um, is Ming Xiu expecting? I think I missed something.
Was this review helpful to you?
Yes! A Ju Shi Fan episode! And his actor does such a great job. I appreciate how expressive his face is. It really makes it clear to the audience how deeply fond he is of his friends and the turmoil he's going through. (But also, why must poor boy go through turmoil? He's such a cinnamon roll.)
Was this review helpful to you?
Even when the Righteous Martial Alliance is back in the story, poor Ju Shi Fang seems to be relegated to being a minor character. I had such high hopes for him, though perhaps his declaration about doing as Bian Luo Huan did will prove to have been foreshadowing and he will turn out to be important again (though I really don't want him to meet such a sad end). Yue Qi and Yue Jin Zhao are a lot less interesting now that they're basically fully-realized heroes.
Was this review helpful to you?
Still more time travel, but it should be just about done after this right? Right? Drawing out Bian Luo Huan's sacrifice sort of made it feel less meaningful to me, but I'm probably in the minority on that.
Was this review helpful to you?
Xu Kai's acting in this episode was very good, but I really just don't like time travel as a plot device. I get that there's a rule about changing the past to change the future in these dramas, but at that point it sort of seems like a waste of time to watch the characters go through the motions that they apparently can't change even though they're acting in their (relative) present.
Was this review helpful to you?
Hearing about Yue Qi's origins is getting to be a bit like learning Batman's origin story (or Superman or Spider-Man, take your pick). The time travel aspect is also just kind of bleh. I don't like time travel as a storytelling device, especially not when it's used like this.
Was this review helpful to you?
Luo Mai Ming, amazing to the end. He painted himself into the paintings of his sister's travels, knowing he would never be able to experience them at her side. <3 This series did a great job making his character more than just a villainous man who wear's women's clothing. I'm going to miss him in the remainder of the series.
Was this review helpful to you?
Still loving Luo Mai Ming's utter lack of remorse for his actions. The man cares about exactly one other person and does not give a toss what happens to everyone else. My favorite fictional red flag.
Was this review helpful to you?
I am delighted by Luo Mai Ming's ruthless love for his sister. This is the kind of reckless disregard for the world I like to see.
Was this review helpful to you?
A surprisingly uncompelling episode despite all the fight scenes and instances of plotting (from Luo Mai Ming, obviously).
Was this review helpful to you?
Now that we're into the second half of the series, it looks like the companions are going to be pointed toward defeating a Big Bad, but then they're immediately sent on side quests. Sort of annoying.
Was this review helpful to you?
I do want to know how Yue Jin Zhao's apparent lack of a past turns out, and how recovering so many memories full of Bian Luo Huan affects the bond between Yue Qi and Yue Jin Zhao.
Was this review helpful to you?

