The Taste of Tea

• Movie: The Taste of Tea
  • Country: Japan
  • Release Date: Jul 17, 2004
  • Duration: 2 hr. 23 min.
  • Genres: Comedy, Drama
  • Rating: Not Yet Rated

shaz22
Dec 20, 2012
I am so surprised this movie doesn't have a review or comment. It's such a warm, feel-good movie.

Rather than having a concrete plot, the movie just follows a family, a weird one. A father, mother, a son, a daughter, an uncle and their grand father. You just be with them for the length of the movie, you just have a piece of their life, have a taste of their tea and you become one of them. I just wish everyone take and enjoy this fantastical journey that Katsuhito Ishii wants us to have.
mandarine
May 10, 2013
Ok... Then... Here we go. I really didn't know what I was expecting when I made the choice to watch this movie. If I have to sum it up to you, I'll said it's probably the most awsome weird movie I've ever seen: "They're perveted aliens from some unknown world..." said one of the character in this movie. He's right.

More seriously (I hope):

One family - full of weirdos you know - no story, but a lot of facts & also a huge quantity of very good replies. Ok, if I give you an example right now, there would be no sense and you wouldn't be laughing at all. The "Why are you a triangle?" thing made me laugh a lot: No sense, right ? Let's continue. In my opinion this movie isn't stupid at all! In the contrary this is only little few things caught in everyday lives you could feel here. That's right, I'm agree with you, those guys are totally crazy, and some scenes let me puzzled whether it be the yakuza-shit or the "Yamayo" song scene for example.

*Silence*

Ok...I already feel your suspicious look, but I assure you my mental health is okay, I swear.
Behind all those absurd glimpses int their lives, there is Life with a big L, there are big questions and a lot of powerful emotions. The big question of consciousness and subconscious appears and disappears like a dream. In few words: this movie is like that, when the end finally comes, you don't really know what you were watching. However, like after a dream, something good reminds here and you laugh about little facts with no reason.

Taste of tea ? Yes you can experience a lot of taste in this film, but at the end, it's still good.

em45
Sep 16, 2015
Just for originality alone, this film deserves top points.

While I was thoroughly confused the first time I watched it, "Cha no Aji" is one of those movies where the more you watch it, the more you understand the deeper meanings behind it; the fact that its not a "weird film" but actually something quite beautiful.

I think it is probably because the first time through, it takes a long time for you to process everything that happens.
So I ask all of you that didn't like it the first time, give it another go! You'll pick up on points you missed the first time, and hopefully you'll understand the true meaning behind all the weirdness.

If you still aren't feeling it, just watch it for Grandpa's songs. Seriously.

While I have rated this 8.5 on my personal page, that was off the first watch.
If I were to re-rate it now (after having seen it a total of 4 times), I would give it a solid 10.

If I were to pick my most favourite film that I watched in 2014, "Cha no Aji" would be the definite winner.

Happy viewing!

Oct 7, 2017
A truly  beautiful film, a magnificent and momentary cinematography interspersed  with the comics that made spend almost two hours flying. The  narrative is so enjoyable that you can fully integrate into the  atmosphere, watching the family and their situations without  interrupting the flow. Visually, nature plays an important  role, not just the human side, but the field, the river, the wind, the  cherry blossoms, the rain, all have a meaning, a purpose within the  context of history.
The characters are all very exciting thanks to the perfect acting, where they plot their own little quirky ways. There is no real story line, we just follow the family for a seemingly short period of time. Some  moments in the movie may seem relevant and some may not, but they all  seem to fit somewhere along the way and they are so enjoyable to watch. Worth it.