Boss in Love

PurpleJem
Jan 7, 2019
Strongberry are seriously after my heart! First ‘Long Time No See’, then ‘My Pistachio’, and now this!! But this is extra powerful because it’s about queer women like myself!! I can’t tell you how happy I got just finding out Strongberry had done a lesbian story, let alone watching it, because I knew it would be good. I can always rely on them for beautiful, happy queer stories, and this one didn’t disappoint.

I love how it jumps right into the story (although with such a short length that makes sense), no unnecessary exposition, just great dialogue. I was a bit worried the length would hurt it, but I don’t feel it did – I would’ve loved more of course, but I realise they are under budget constraints, plus short pieces allow the audience to experience one moment in the characters' lives, nice and concise, always interesting.

The acting, writing, and cinematography were all wonderful as always. The plot surprised me which was nice. It made me worried at one point, but thankfully it didn’t go the way I feared it was going. Before that I was grinning my face off, squealing, it made me so happy! It has some good humour in it too, made me giggle. It honestly feels like a lovely light-hearted kdrama, but gay – so exactly what I need in life!!

With this being Strongberry’s first film about queer women, I think they did really well! I’m so grateful they clearly tried to not make it fetish-y, and I love the little details like the pride wristband, lesbian app, and short nails (haha!!)

I thoroughly enjoyed this, even having gone in with high expectations, so I’m sure you will too. Highly recommended, I hope we get more lesbian love stories from Strongberry in the future (although I’m always happy with what they produce)!