Since we all know the drama ending is a shipwreck, here's the novel ending for those who are interested:

LYF was fed the Pheonix Tears by Yu Du and Min Yunzhong which caused him to forget about his love, CZ. While he was having memory loss, he injured CZ to the point that she had to abandon her body and join with the demon sword. This made her become the sky demon, with greater powers. Before the final battle, LYF remembered her again and realized his mistake. But since the war had already started, and CZ was planning to unseal all the demons, he had no choice but to fight her. He equipped the soul binding thread on himself that inflicts the same damage on himself if he hurts anyone. If he killed CZ, he would also die, so it means he was planning on dying together.

In the end, CZ turned on Wang Yue and did not unleash the demons. She saved the entire world. Everyone was shocked and realized they had wronged her. But since she no longer had a body, she would die once the sword's powers ran out. She recalled the deal she made with Wang Yue before, that if she found where his eyes were, he would grant her a wish. She correctly guessed that his eye was the ring he was wearing, but her wish was to repair the underwater tunnel instead of getting herself a new body.

Wang Yue offered her to leave with him so she could live in the other dimension without having to die. At this point, LYF went completely insane due to his heart poison and became a demon. He refused to let CZ leave him, so he hugged her and they joined the sword together. CZ had already lost her will to live or die. She was indifferent about everything. Buddhist outlook. LYF activated the Mirror Heart Spell to purify the sword, thus killing himself and CZ. The resulting sword was one that was neither immortal or demon.

After several hundred years, we see them together again (like the extra episode). It turns out Wang Yue revived them. He's a good person after all, just like he always said. LYF and CZ still had supernatural powers but they were no longer classified as immortal or demon. They were "undefined" (just like every one of us), and they lived in the purified sword for a few hundred years before they cultivated new bodies. Happy ending with LYF and CZ talking in the street market about going back home to have sex for 2 hours.

-----

The thing I loved about the novel ending was the symbolism. CZ made the most sacrificial choice (to save the world) although she was a demon, while LYF made the most selfish choice (to keep CZ by his side even if it meant she would die) although he was an immortal. They complete the yin yang circle of being mirror images of each other. The ending is about them achieving an equilibrium state where both good and evil coexist in their sword.

The act of LYF using the Mirror Heart Spell to purify the evil aura AFTER he became a demon is also a symbolism of the dual nature of good and evil. The Mirror Heart Spell removes evil, but he could only activate it when his obsession was at its peak, and he used it for a selfish reason. That's the irony of it.

Thank you Amy for explaining this. Though I’ve read the novel but the translation is so awful that I could only get the general translation of it. 

Don’t know why they changed it

Ugh looks like i also dont like the novel'S way. I feel better somehow lol thanks for detailed explanation. 

Vico SDL:

Don’t know why they changed it

Because parts of the novel is completely brutal. For example she was raped by a group of demons  (drama: when chongzi got the heart poison).  And LYF’s is completely irredeemable to me. He never admitted that he loved her until nearly the end. 

EverythingSoso:

Because parts of the novel is completely brutal. For example she was raped by a group of demons  (drama: when chongzi got the heart poison).  And LYF’s is completely irredeemable to me. He never admitted that he loved her until nearly the end. 

It made sense for them to change LYF's characterization and remove the brutal parts of the novel, but honestly they could've matched the last few episodes to the novel. Those last few episodes, and especially the weird ending, was just a convoluted mess.

In the novel, it was Wang Yue who revived the leads and made them able to live in the sword as sword spirits. In the drama, they just randomly became sword spirits after allegedly dying. It was like deus ex machina pulled out of nowhere.

Amy:

It made sense for them to change LYF's characterization and remove the brutal parts of the novel, but honestly they could've matched the last few episodes to the novel. Those last few episodes, and especially the weird ending, was just a convoluted mess.

In the novel, it was Wang Yue who revived the leads and made them able to live in the sword as sword spirits. In the drama, they just randomly became sword spirits after allegedly dying. It was like deus ex machina pulled out of nowhere.

Since novel wasnt that important to me I didnt get much frustrated BUT I know your feelings very well... 

There are quite lots of novels i love for a long time too. I even dared to read them from Cnovel sites with machine translate years ago, re-read them most of times for the lead couple moments. Most of them got translatıons or still raw. They even got drama ramakes but whenever they remake one of my faves i end being so disappointed like how can they do that to a such a great story and character arcs?! They already have a story ın theır hands wıth whole details and all you know! I know there is cencorship and also some parts where they cant surpass the imagination and creativeness BUT STILL -_- 

I watch asian dramas since high school and im in my 30s now. I used to think that writers sucked for making such serıes ruın in later half of series esp last couple of eps. But now we see many stories ruin in their hands i know my mistake... Maybe its producers doing I dont get it. Do they really think any fangirl/boy will buy /love the story with casting choices and get over the bs writing or what u_u ugh sorry for long reply! Im still bitter about JLFX novels' remakes... 

Thank you for the info. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. 

Now at ep 36,  torn whether I should continue watching. I've stuck with the drama this long, might stick it out til the frustrating end. My eye candy Tian Zhixie is gone though, so my motivation is at all-time low.

Still, I wanna know what happens to the rest of CZ's harem, included Wang Yue. The big bad for me is the "fake disciple" hate her to bits, quite an effective actress. Glad to know that Wang Yue's redeemed in the novel.

So people keep confusing me. So song of moon drama did that have alot of changes compared to novel?

Someone said Wang Yue is moon God then said luo ge is descendant or grand kids of yinfan n chongzi so which one is it? Or is it both? Wang Yue reincarnated as their grandkids main lead from song of moon?

Is the sword they made at end the moon sword or is just random sword since they became sword spirit? 

Jun-Mo-Xiao:

So people keep confusing me. So song of moon drama did that have alot of changes compared to novel?

Someone said Wang Yue is moon God then said luo ge is descendant or grand kids of yinfan n chongzi so which one is it? Or is it both? Wang Yue reincarnated as their grandkids main lead from song of moon?

Is the sword they made at end the moon sword or is just random sword since they became sword spirit? 

Song of The Moon the drama is extremely different from the novel Fly To The Moon. In the novel, Luo Ge and the Moon God are two different people, and Moon God is the main character of the novel. He is the same person as Wang Yue in The Journey of Chong Zi. Luo Ge is a side character and is the descendant of Luo Yin Fan and Chong Zi. The drama Song of The Moon removed most of the parts involving Moon God and made Luo Ge the male lead.

The sword made at the end is the purified version of the demon sword. It is neither a demon sword or an immortal sword anymore.

Thank you for taking the time and sacrificing yourself for watching this drama. I watched 6 episodes and couldn't take it any more. Felt nothing had happened. There are too many dramas to watch, I have to prioritize.  Did it bother anyone the difference in  male lead and female lead ages?