Now that episode 16 have given us the answer about how the romance went down (which is basically absent other than a partnership), In Bum is now working as a special psychic for Ji Ah's Realty where he is special due to his extra ability of absorbing the memories of the unrested spirit in place of the exorcist. We also learn early on that the psychic are virgins and they need to maintain that for their body to contain spirits. Moreover, there is multiple psychics out in the world which are either adults or children so there is no lack of psychic either.

With that situation established, I do wonder if In Bum would married at a certain point in time and have a relationship with or without Ji Ah. We know from the ending that he is working in his job and also coping with the pain of absorbing those memories in place of Ji Ah since the memories of the dead is always hard to fathom and resist in their urges to fulfill their goals. I thought this was a good discussion point as to what future decision In Bum could make as to whether he wants to remain single forever or be in a relationship.

Regarding the exorcist Ji Ah side, she has no trouble marrying and having any children since Mi Jin (Ji Ah's mother) gave birth to her so we all know there is no rules dictating that. Ji Ah being the pure Yin type due to her exorcist blood which allows her to do her job and In Bum being the pure Yang type that attracts the Yin Ghost.

So the speculation I have and the scenario I came up with is that In Bum would still marry Ji Ah in the end because they are comfortable with each other. Although it could have been just a pure friendship/partnership between them, the amount of skinship, time spent together and being each other's lighthouse should result in loving relationship. Although we have no idea as to whom Ji Ah's father was, imagine In Bum being the "special psychic" that is pure yang whilst Ji Ah is the pure yin in this equation which would balance out and thus, the psychic doesn't lose their power. If it was any other women, In Bum psychic energy would receive an imbalance of pure yin which is the logic behind why he would lose his power.  I also can't imagine Ji Ah marrying anyone else other than In Bum cause she is as cold to strangers or anyone in general so it takes someone like In Bum to withstand her temper and personality. Someone that is warm enough and have experienced the same "trauma" as Ji Ah is ideal.

That's my conclusion as to what would happen to Ji Ah and In Bum after the ending.  If In Bum do lose his power as a consequence of losing his virginity, I am sure there is many other psychic out there to replace his role so In Bum can happily be the "comfort and love" beside Ji Ah in marriage. Perhaps have a daughter together that can inherit the job of an exorcist and who knows? In Bum being a psychic can mean that 1+1=2 so the daughters have both the power of an exorcist and psychic at the same time XD.

What do you think would happened after the ending and in the future of this story? If there was a season 2, what would you like to see? Share your thoughts here.  

During the scene at Mi-Jin’s memorial hall, In Bum said that he had a dream too but it was a secret.  I like to think that his dream is to find a way to marry JiAh while remaining her special psychic as I would imagine that he would want to continue to carry her burden of painful memories and be her special heat pack - that has been a big part of how he has been showing his care (love) for her.  

In my version of the story, while JiAh was away for a year, InBum has been in the library trying to read up on how to do just that. ^^  I hope that if there’s a Season 2, JiChul digitizes the entire collection of ancient scrolls and documents with auto translations to Hangul.  With some good keyword tagging,  imagine the ease of access to all that wealth of information!

I don’t really need to know the detailed mechanics of how it would work, I’ll happily accept whatever solution they throw at me as long as our In Bum and JiAh can get together and have their brood of mini exorcists and psychics running about while continuing their exorcism real estate business.  ?

@checkinout wrote:

"In my version of the story, while JiAh was away for a year, InBum has been in the library trying to read up on how to do just that."

I love this. In-bum either hired a translator or took a Chinese language immersion course! If anyone can figure this out, it's In-bum. He's already proven his ability to connect the dots when no-one else has. 

Yin-Yang binary
The yin-yang business felt wobbly at best.

I'm not a scholar of Chinese philosophy so my understanding of the yin-yang binary is rudimentary at best. From what I've read, scholars of pre-modern China are noting that yin-yang didn't mean a female-masculine dichotomy. It's more of about how different elements might relate to one another. Mother and child. Master and serf. Governments and the people. Elements in the natural world.

What do we know about the yin-yang issue? At the show's beginning, Hwa-jung explained the contract's virginity clause: “For the work we do, the most important thing is the balance of yin and yang. If a medium’s yang is tainted, he cannot hold on to the vengeful spirit which is full of ying." (Ep. 4, 8:48). 

Ji-ah alludes to this again in the middle of Ep. 7 (27:25), after In-bum gifts the boy with his protective necklace: “Just because one is born with medium characters doesn’t mean they all become mediums. Normal guys have girlfriends and date, and their yin becomes diluted, so they become just fine.”

The mystery of In-bum and Ji-ah's unique connection
Ji-ah acknowledges three facts that make In-bum special:

1. He can absorb the memories of spirits
  2. Other than Ji-ah, he's the ONLY person who can go up to the second floor
  3. He raises her temperature back to normal after an exorcism

It's unclear, however, if either of them  fathom their unique connection might be a physical one. The ill-fated exorcism of the first egg spirit literally connected both children (they were touching and their eyes lit up.) The same happened with the second egg spirit.  Might this fact point to a loophole to the whole yin-yang/virginity clause?

In-bum's sexuality
Although he was embarrassed to have his virginity exposed and was ticked off when Ji-ah said "normal guys have girlfriends and date," In-bum isn't particularly desperate to find sex partners. He yearns to be useful, to be good, to have a found family. 

While I can  imagine their current partnership becoming sexual, it's just as easy to imagine  In-bum and Ji-ah as hetero-romantic asexuals. He's clearly smitten by Ji-ah and wants to be by her side. Their arrangement is perfect if they both want a deep, intimate partnership without sex.

Anan cara: a different type of love
The drama spends a lot of time exploring different types of love. The love of money! Erotic love. Familial love. Love between friends. Love for others.

I think In-bum and Ji-ah are soul-friends. In Gaelic it's called anan cara—a friendship that makes you feel seen and gives you the deepest sense of belonging. Sexual love isn't the only type of love that sustains long-term partnerships. 

------

I found it deeply gratifying to see the Daebak Realty staff so closely bound together with love and trust. While I would welcome a second season, I'm content with the story's optimistic ending.

Oh wow, you guys brought new perceptions onto the table of theories and possibilities. It definitely opened up my mind to how they could proceed from here and I do like the ending they went with which was very much optimistic and a continuation to what they would be doing in the future as a normal business that deals with haunted places.  

Overall, the drama has solid writing that I can stand behind and the door of possibilities is huge. Thanks for the replies!

I think romance would ruin this. I know the squeakers largely get their thrills from fictional romance (being unlikely to experience it for real) but I don't think it needs to be a component in every, single, fricking drama.