I used to think that as long as the leads are good to look at, then I can chase the drama. However,it changed when I started to fall in the pit of the Jinyi.

At the start I just watched Under the power because I remember the FL lead as the girl who acts good in The best of us (with you), Mr. Mermaid and Fox's summer. But it's a big mistake because I realized how important good acting and chemistry is. It becomes difficult for me to watch other series especially costume drama. All the other popular recommendations become bland, that's why I usually drop them after watching a few episodes. Looks become secondary to me because even if the leads are the most good looking stars,if I find their acting and chemistry lacking then I have no interest in watching their shows.

That's why I was really excited when I've learned that this series has two of my most beloved actors; Seven and Wallace. By December I started to read the source novel to have a peek on what would be in store for me. I got really hooked that's why I stopped watching other series and just read the novel repeatedly.

When the series starts I was a bit disappointed because it's really different from the novel. But my love for the main leads keep me glued on the updates. And there are shining moments that of course keep me interested. However after the latest on demand updates, I realize the importance of screenwriter. I never imagined how big their impact is not until last night. I remember the annoying characters that made me drop other series and made me avoid the other works of the said actors. So the one to blame sometimes is the screenwriter not the actors alone. Because how can they act out something not in their script? So I'll just keep on watching because Yuan Jinxia and He Yi Chen holds my heart but I'll definitely look at the screenwriter's name next time before I start watching  any series to avoid breaking my heart.

It's just my personal opinion because I know some people enjoy rollercoaster of emotions. So keep on watching because one good thing that the screenwriter did is the happy ending.

I think the writer isn't very good with complicated plots. Where the story does well is in the emotional interactions. The slow building of the the marriage, the neglect of the previous wives, the dynamics of the family. 

But the scheming and evildoers plans were too stupid, or illogical, and the way they would resolve it was with the divorce letter or fake separation was overused.

I didn't read the book, I don't know what she had to work with.  But they often want to add more conflict and excitement in the drama. Book are sadly often butchered by dramatisations. From the title I think they should have highlighted more about the business of embroidery, and Houye's military training. But I know they changed the title a lot of times so maybe they don't correlate.

The biggest fail for me was the Mother-In-Law character. She became the true antagonist in the story. Her character was snobby, blindly loyal, and oftentimes prejudiced to Shiyi, regardless of the countless times she had validated her value. It was hard to understand why everyone gave her so much fidelity when she was so foolish. I know she's not that way in the book, so I think the writers and producers made the wrong choice in changing her character. 

The best villain was Concubine Qin, the most hateful Qiao, who I found annoying more than anything. The Ou's were weak villains, and I was disappointed with them. I think as an audience we needed to see what the big deal the pirate ban was to the two families. Why would the Ou try to wipe out the Xu's for it. I think the rice scheme was by far the best plot but the subsequent ones were frankly weak.  I'm the kind of person who appreciates an intelligent enemy. 

Overall I did enjoy this drama. I liked the actors, their characters, the sets, and the slow burn.  I also think the story did do a good job of examining the life in harem. The war of the wives and mother-in-laws. How easy it is to fall into scandal, how tenuous a safe and happy life is in that era. The last 3 episodes were a little choppy but unlike Ming Lan I was able to complete this drama because its a little lighter (I will eventually finish it one day).

The acting of the leads was beautiful!

That's why I'm so mad at the screenwriter because the material was 752 chapters. And when they used the idea like Yuan Niang's scheme and moldy rice incident from the novel it actually became the highlight of the series. And you are right it's disappointing to have a weak opponent. The Ou was supposed to be really good in schemes because they were able to cause the downfall of Lingyi's father and elder brother,but the way their story was written,I'm wondering how they are able to do it with the IQ that was given to them by the writer :D

The saving glory of the show are really the charms and acting of the leads. And I'm glad that eventhough the plot is really terrible especially in later episodes, fans still keep supporting the show and paying for it. So we can still expect to see Seven and Wallace in a high production series hopefully soon.

I think this writer should avoid sweeping dramas. She would do better with simple plots that focuses on emotions and human dynamics. 

She doesn't handle the political, corruption, warring families storylines well. Or more accurately she doesn't know how to resolve them very well. It's poor problem solving.

I am very happy Seven is venturing into more mature roles. I know she has more romantic modern dramas coming up. But I would love to see her as a villian...I think it would be really good.

Wallace was good in this drama but he's still playing with in type. He just does devoted lover well. I liked watching him on the street dance competition because you quickly realise he's kind of dorky. A very handsome dork.

Yes the screenwriter doesn't have the mind of a tactician so she shouldn't write for costume drama that has scheming characters.

I'll support Seven even as an antagonist because it means she already have a wider acting range. From what I heard she have a really good role in August never ends so I'll watch that one. I actually like to see her as an assassin like her short film for Sina Weibo. I'm hoping she can play a sexy assassin against Allen's police character. I'll definitely pay again to see that

Wallace already had many roles but I think I really like his lover boy characters. And I'll watch it until he gets old. For me he's the Chinese version of George Clooney

I saw the assassin short film. It was really good. Especially at the end when she's turns into a paper boy spy. I want to watch August Never Ends too. I'm unclear what character she plays, but she looks really wild. 

That's a good analogy about Wallace, he is like George Clooney. He's a very warm man, I think it would be hard for him to play a villain.  Maybe a tortured villain. 

I was glad they didn't have a forced violent kiss scene here. He does that a lot. I appreciated the sweeter kisses they had in this show. 

From what I read in baidu she plays two characters in August never ends. One is a spoiled princess and the other is a bad character. I hope it's true so we can see her dark performance. I'm thinking which novel to read next between August never ends and Please call me director.

The kisses and hugs are good enough for me. But I just hope they added more sweet moments and less divorce plot :))

I think they should added a bathing scene. They do them in idol dramas and private cuddles.  

Ugggh the divorce letter was really annoying. Two brilliant schemers reduced to a piece of paper for all of their solutions.

Yes. I love the bathing scene. That's what they should had focus on, how to turn daily life activities into romantic scenes during marriage instead of divorcing every 3 to 5 episodes. :))