Hi,

I'm not entirely clear on age order of the princes.
I think based on oldest to youngest it's:
1) 1st Prince - Li Chen Ru
2) 2nd Prince - Li Cheng Ze
3) Crown Prince - Li Cheng Yu
 4) 3rd Prince - Li Cheng Ping

Is this correct?

And was it explained why crown prince was chosen to be CP over his elder brothers?

Thanks

1) 1st Prince - Li Chen Ru ; his mother is related to Dongyi, he cannot be Crown Prince or else he might held too much power. 

Although I am not sure if CP is older or 2nd Prince is.
2) 2nd Prince - Li Cheng Ze ; His mother likes to read books, I don't think she was interested in court politics. Emperor uses him as a whetstone for Li Cheng Yu.

3) Crown Prince - Li Cheng Yu ; I think his mother was more favored and so he was chosen. Might also be hierarchy related, as the Emperor married the Princess (daughter) of the previous Emperor of Qing, I believe.

4) 3rd Prince - Li Cheng Ping ; too young at the time for the crowning of Crown Prince title.

Thank you for the explanation

The mother of the Crown Prince, Li Cheng Yu, was not favored at all. She and her family (uncles) were part of the assassination of FX's mother. But it is possible that she was crowned empress because all her family was killed. Ye QingMei was his mistress, and refuses to be the empress. In the drama, it was said she married the emperor but she did not.  In both case, he remained illegitimate son except in the novel everyone (all kingdoms) knew he was the son of the emperor right after the chrysanthemum assassination attempt.

This is why the emperor felt guilty about his marriage and sent tons of gifts because he could not have a marriage like the prince FX really was. In the novel, it was never an intimate marriage with his brothers. It was public with the Fan family, officials, and friends. All the palace concubine, emperor, empress, empress dowager sent gifts

The emperor, to compensate (with the help of Cheng Pingping), spread the rumors that FX was his son (soon after FX saved him at the Chrysanthemums' attempted assassination).

It is mentioned that there is 1 year difference between CP and second prince. (SP younger)
It is mentioned that FX is a bit older than 16 when he enters the capital
it is mentioned that Crown Prince was 18 (when FX arrived at the capital)
Fan Xian was 16-17 when he left DanZhou for the capital
It is mentioned that third prince is 9

So the order should be:

Talented Lady Ning (Mother of the Eldest Prince) - Mother is a Dongyi's princess
1. Eldest Prince (大皇子) aka First Prince aka Noble Prince Li Chen Ru 

“Ning the scholar is from Dongyi. The Emperor brought her back from his first military expedition to the north. I’ve heard that His Majesty was wounded on the battlefield, and Ning the scholar tended to him night and day, so His Majesty freed her from her bondage as a slave and brought her to the palace, and she gave birth to the prince. But she is not from the Qing Kingdom, and although she saved the Emperor’s life, and gave birth to his eldest son, there was still no way for her to win the favor of the Empress Dowager, so naturally she could not become Empress. And she was an imperial consort, but ten years ago it seemed like something happened in the palace, and His Majesty was very angry, and stripped her of her position, so she dropped to the rank of “Talented”

Empress  (Mother of Lǐ Chéngqián)
2. Crown Prince  Lǐ Chéngqián (李承乾)
19 years old. The emperor mentioned 1 year difference with second prince.

Imperial Consort Shu
3. Second Prince: Lǐ Chéngzé (李承泽)
Third youngest among the royal siblings
18 years old when Fan Xian entered the Capital at 16

Mistress: Yè Qīngméi (叶轻眉)
4. Son: Fàn Xián (范闲)
Born: Qing Kingdom’s 57th year (Taiping  Ye Quingmei assassination and rebirth of Fan Xian)
16 years old when Fan Xian entered the capital
17 years old Fan Xian married Wan'er
20 years old Fan Xian took the position of Director of the Overwatch Council

Queen Yi Quipin (Mother of Lǐ Chéngqián and Li Chengping )
5. Third Prince: Li Chengping 
8 years old  (9 years younger than Fan Xian) - "He is a certified pimp at the age of eight"