So, this seems to be a thing with some kdramas I watched. The FL throws tantrums at the guy for hurting her feelings or doing something wrong. Usually involves physical abuse of some kind, sometime just verbal. Screaming, yelling, maybe throwing things etc.

I have decided I will not watch or give low ratings to dramas like these. As a man I would hate to be in a relationship with a woman like this. I prefer women who are smart, mature and classy. 

I saw some excellent FLs so its not a major problem or anything, but its very frustrating when it happens.

I couldnt agree more!! hate those types so much

Goldenbomberfan:

I couldnt agree more!! hate those types so much

Glad I am not alone!!

i dont mind hysteric FL that much propably cause ive gotten used to the extremes of 2nd FL so FL seems light usually,my problem is with the abundance of soft or immature ML.

no i dont want an immature ML,i said that i have a problem with them in dramas.

you would need to watch dramas that are 100+ episodes (20 minutes each) they usually have such 2nd FL.

Inkling:

no i dont want an immature ML,i said that i have a problem with them in dramas.

you would need to watch dramas that are 100+ episodes (20 minutes each) they usually have such 2nd FL.

oh ok  I understand now. Yeah in the modern dramas, the MLs are more like doormats for the FL. At least ones written by female writers. 

I watched tons of great dramas where the FL is normal though and ML is not soft  so I think it varies from writer to writer.

So, let's observe Mr. Queen, does she have "bad temper"? Of course!!! It's part of the hilarity!!  I love it when things get so spicy.

ArniA:

So, let's observe Mr. Queen, does she have "bad temper"? Of course!!! It's part of the hilarity!!  I love it when things get so spicy.

I haven't watched it but if it's comedic then I understand it. That's not what I am talking about though in my post, I am talking about relationships or other normal encounters.

100% agree on both aspects. Bad behavior doesn't make you a leader, just makes you a bad person. On the opposite side of the spectrum is the effeminate men (dressed like 40yr old women in the 90s) who squeal at the sight of a bug or throw tantrums like a 6 yr old girl. It's embarrassing to see a woman do it but just cringe to see a grown man do it. 

ArniA:

Mr. Queen was excellent. I laughed so hard I got a headache from it. The character was an obnoxious egotist when he was in contemporary times, but I think they did a fantastic job of portraying not only the fish out of water trope but also fish sewn into a chicken and then fried....if I may mangle that metaphor. 

Lemonschist:

100% agree on both aspects. Bad behavior doesn't make you a leader, just makes you a bad person. On the opposite side of the spectrum is the effeminate men (dressed like 40yr old women in the 90s) who squeal at the sight of a bug or throw tantrums like a 6 yr old girl. It's embarrassing to see a woman do it but just cringe to see a grown man do it. 

I am yet to see a man behave that way in kdrama but seen too many violent hysteric women. 

MarkJason:

I am yet to see a man behave that way in kdrama but seen too many violent hysteric women. 

Offhand the one that comes to mind is Third Rate Fight for My Way, Park Seo Joon's character freaks out at a cockroach in the hotel room. There were quite a few examples, but I can never recall the titles. It usually involves the male character acting hysterical at the site of a bug/mouse/snake and the female calmly picking it up and flicking it away or simply not reacting to it. As far as the tantrums, I just saw it happen in Dr Slump with Park Hyung Sik's character but it seems to happen regularly when they require the male character to have an embarrassing or slightly romantic moment with the female character. 

Overall, there seems to be an intentional move to infantilize the characters in RomComs. I don't know if this is for comedic purposes or not, but I find it revolting. 

Lemonschist:

Offhand the one that comes to mind is Third Rate Fight for My Way, Park Seo Joon's character freaks out at a cockroach in the hotel room. There were quite a few examples, but I can never recall the titles. It usually involves the male character acting hysterical at the site of a bug/mouse/snake and the female calmly picking it up and flicking it away or simply not reacting to it. As far as the tantrums, I just saw it happen in Dr Slump with Park Hyung Sik's character but it seems to happen regularly when they require the male character to have an embarrassing or slightly romantic moment with the female character. 

Overall, there seems to be an intentional move to infantilize the characters in RomComs. I don't know if this is for comedic purposes or not, but I find it revolting. 

Yes it is for comedy of course and ridiculous just like women hitting men is used for comedy too although they are completely different things 

MarkJason:

Lemonschist:

There's nothing wrong with men who are "effeminate" - that's actually a very problematic term you used. You're making it sound like men are supposed to act a certain way and women are supposed to act a certain way. I don't agree, and I'm glad that we get dramas from all over that often show us the absurdity of such gendered expectations. (But I would be agree that infantilized characters are super annoying.)

That said, I don't love violence at all, and I think there's FAR too much slapping and kicking and other abusive behavior going on in dramas. Does it actually reflect Korean society and its history of school and workplace bullying and abuse? Many have said yes.

@Popcxqueen 

The system wouldn't allow me to quote your response, so I am doing it below your post.

Saying something is problematic doesn't mean it is wrong. Saying something is problematic is just a nonsense word used to silence an observation you don't like. Using the worst of stereotypical female personality traits as character quirks or weaknesses in the male character just shows both sexes in a bad light. Just as they try to use the worst of stereotypical male personality traits in their GirlBoss characters. Either way it makes the character shallow and easy to dismiss, even if it is a lead.  If it is used for comedic purposes, I don't mind it, but when it is used to show an aspect of the character's personality then I find it reduces my interest in the character's development and relationships.