Maybe I'm overthinking it, but is the popularity of attorneys and jobs related to that always pretty exaggerated in Kdramas? I get that it's important for the plot to make sense but is it also like that in Korea as well? Time, Stranger, and Inside Men are a few I can list off the top of my head that make a point in showing the fame of the characters with those occupations.  In American TV shows or movies I've never really seen anything similar to that. 

I don' think it is exaggerated. If you look at what is currently happening in korea with all its legal issue, lawyers are quite in demand, same with prosecutors. From government corruption cases, company deals, divorce, and etc.  There will always be a legal issue no matter where and what.

In a case, between Police or prosecutors or lawyers, people will most likely remember the prosecutor/lawyer names. They will be the ones infront of the case, presenting or defending. 

And for american shows, I've seen plenty of it like how To Get away with Murder, Damages, Suits, better call saul, JAG, the Good Wife, the Good fight (spin off of The Good wife), Boston Legal, law and aorder, Ally Mcbea and etc.