The plot device is XL character.  No growth and no development at all. Sorry  no hate on him but that is what I felt when reading the novel and watching the drama.  He is like a mentor and that's and goes to die 

peng-peng:

The plot device is XL character.  No growth and no development at all. Sorry  no hate on him but tha5s what I felt when reading the novel and watching the drama.  He is like a mentor and that's and goes to die 

Even in the novel,he had less scenes,same goes for the drama. He taught her archery,but he ended up getting shot in the chest by XY. There’re a lot of people who like Jing cos he’s rather hurt himself than hurt XY or anyone she cares about,which says a lot about his character while xl whipped,tortured & used her for his gains,but those who like his character brush over all these things and say yeah he loves her that’s why he gave one of his lives for her. lol okay,still doesn’t change the fact that he bargained her with ZX for a mountain with his soldiers. Jing even told XY to never use her blood to heal him cos wounds will always heal & even protected her when the forest arc caught on fire. If it wasn’t for him, ZX,xl & the others would’ve met her ashes. He physically saved that girl but no,let’s blame him cos yeah why not.

Sunbath12:

Oh well, I can always reread the novel again over and over  until I feel better haha

lol, I guess that would work for me too

FTCU:
Yeah he could’ve killed Hou & FFYY,but they would’ve won & the resentment cycle would’ve never end. It’s a shame his mother started this whole thing & Jing paid the price for it,while his grandmother was very selfish. Again it’s a shame he was born into such family.

Exactly, there were things/people that were not under his control. They should have borne the consequences of their actions and behavior but didn't (his mother and grandmother). The younger generation suffered for it.

peng-peng:

The plot device is XL character.  No growth and no development at all. Sorry  no hate on him but tha5s what I felt when reading the novel and watching the drama.  He is like a mentor and that's and goes to die 

LOL, I wouldn't venture to say XL was just a plot device either. He definitely is a character that changes after meeting XY but is set on a path that forever will make him at odds with her and the people close to her (Cang Xuan). However, I think he is sometimes used as a plot device. The one main kind of plot device that comes to my mind is Deus ex machina. He is able to save XY not only once but at least twice that I can recall (after Plum Blossom assassination and after she tries to kill herself towards the end) and also happens to be able to save TSJ at the end (unbeknownst to all the characters except Sir Bi but known to the audience). It's a plot device that's not necessarily a bad thing if used judiciously.

But to say TSJ is merely a plot device is baffling to me. He is a living, breathing character that goes through ups and downs throughout the story, and what he experiences and eventually overcomes is important to the story - for the overall plot, other characters' development and the development of the author's themes. Maybe I just don't understand what plot devices are lol? They are usually things like love triangles, MacGuffins (searching for an object but the object in itself is not really important to the story), and red herrings (often used in mystery/crime stories) - things used to move the story forward. I guess we'll always have something to discuss and debate about when it comes to LYF.

Anyway, I don't want to digress too much from our topic, but I feel the need sometimes to stand up for our gentle Jing. I look forward to him finally getting his girl in S2.

Jing with the help of XY healed  himself. XY with the help of Jing healed herself. 

Had XY ran away with XL, she would still have been carrying her deep wounds caused by her mother abandonment  and the  hurt of being a bastard.  XY would have never been able to have internal peace. Those 2 things were extremly important to her. I am glad that Jing changed her because he knew her. Xl did not her but also did not. 

I am glad that XY opened her heart to Jing, longed for him and ONLY  him.  She let him warm her cold heart. 

Sunbath12:
But to say TSJ is merely a plot device is baffling to me. He is a living, breathing character that goes through ups and downs throughout the story, and what he experiences and eventually overcomes is important to the story - for the overall plot, other characters' development and the development of the author's themes. Maybe I just don't understand what plot devices are lol? They are usually things like love triangles, MacGuffins (searching for an object but the object in itself is not really important to the story), and red herrings (often used in mystery/crime stories) - things used to move the story forward.

Ahh, so I saw the post—or more like an analysis on the main page (though I didn't actually read the analysis, didn't have the energy for it) - stating that 'TSJ is nothing but a plot device.' 

I'm not entirely sure what plot devices entail, but based on what you mentioned: love triangles, MacGuffins, and red herrings -- they are elements used to drive the story forward, though the specific element itself might be insignificant. I suspect this characterization of TSJ is a deliberate attempt to undermine TSJ's role in the story. It is indeed quite baffling!
TSJ is one of the protagonists. We were told his backstory, from being the golden child until his mother died and his brother found out why the mother hated him. Then, at the lowest point in his life, he met XY. His story evolved; if we were to remove this character, it would significantly alter the plot.

I also sometimes felt the need to defend Jing on the main page because many posts are unkind towards him. However, I feel it is a losing battle and a waste of my time, knowing that the other fans are unlikely to change their opinions on Jing. 

Blueberries Field:
His story evolved; if we were to remove this character, it would significantly alter the plot.

I quite agree, it wouldn't be the same story.

@Sunbath

LOL, I wouldn't venture to say XL was just a plot device either. He definitely is a character that changes after meeting XY but is set on a path that forever will make him at odds with her and the people close to her (Cang Xuan). However, I think he is sometimes used as a plot device. The one main kind of plot device that comes to my mind is Deus ex machina. He is able to save XY not only once but at least twice that I can recall (after Plum Blossom assassination and after she tries to kill herself towards the end) and also happens to be able to save TSJ at the end (unbeknownst to all the characters except Sir Bi but known to the audience). It's a plot device that's not necessarily a bad thing if used judiciously.

Umm.. the reason why I also find XL as plot device is because we do not get to see his emotions or his side of story as much as the other 3 main that is ZX, XY and Jing. He is the most absent character among the four too. Of course the character does have charm, hes one of the charm of Lyf. No denying to that. The reason why I think he is mostly plot device, his initial treatment of XY in punishing her for trespassing and also unneccessary stepping on her wounds, it opens up her trauma for being abused before . That also lead to more development in  yaojing union. I mean the way WXL was more clingy towards Shi Qi after that event. Later XY got to release some of her toxic thoughts over some other character such as Ah Nian in making poison for him. Her trying to not miss on Jing led her to craft poison beautiful and to let out more of her loving in beauty of the world. And get to send to XY. And then we see XL appeared as FFB for XY enjoyed time with him..that may led to some readers to think ..will there be more of their relationship.. yes I personally think their bond was got stronger here(however not romantic feelings from XY side. She never longs for his bites.. not mind him seeing other women) . During these times.. the emotions and inner self, both strength and fears and flaws of ZX, XY or Jing are explored. We only get  that from XL from XY's perpectives mostly and did not feel he's explored that deep (for me). 

He played magic on XY dress to turn red despite her having trauma on the color..which caught eyes from who took grudge her biological father and build up maze. We could see its Jing who  wont be able to leave her. So we got the title  "Embracing in Life, Following in Death" (Those side of fans ignore all the fact that Jing could not took her out from maze of fire. If he did she will turn into ashes) ...but we all give credits to XL for the important 3rd part of making her wake up and alive again. XL also save her from Xing Yue's assasinating attempt two times and finally save her 1 more time after she suicide (I dont think XL is blameless for this case either) and broke the  bug connection between them.

As for saving Jing, well since its not telling in details how.? So it lead me to think what is his plan after all for keeping Jing in coma for 7 years.... if you mentioned any of the reason..its all assumptions like many reason possible..but for me his planning to kill ZX using his poison blood... and but instead killing off Feng Long what can cause really tragedy.. because if ZX did die, (in case Fenglong is not able to save ZX),it will just make XY having more trauma the rest of her life, probably even with Jing being alive, and Da Huang could be back into chaos and many tragedies 

And yeo finally..the cliff hanger ending with him and XY relationship in tragedy, especially him decided she should know nothing of his emotions and anything he do for her...

This end will lead a lot of readers go to why this why that..

But yep we did get a bit of his character and emotions, but compare to the other 3 main, he remine secretive..and left to so many maybes and what ifs... I still take that Epilogue about him as  him being the outsider of the main plot most of the time ..so it is a space for him we at least get to read his part of story for a bit..

Well..its how I take this character as being plot device.. 

In edit: Of course you do not have to agree with me or say maybe my understanding of the term "plot device" is not so correct.. But what I am meaning mainly is I think XL is sort of like secretive character and I have least connection with him compare to the other 3 main.

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:5052498465980464?from=old_pc_videoshow

A new Xiao Yao/ Jing video posted on LYF weibo account :)

XY: I'm all alone.

TSJ: I am here. You can see me when you turn around. 15 years later, TSJ returns to you Ye Shiqi.

Haveninmuse:

https://weibo.com/tv/show/1034:5052498465980464?from=old_pc_videoshow

A new Xiao Yao/ Jing video posted on LYF weibo account :)

XY: I'm all alone.

TSJ: I am here. You can see me when you turn around. 15 years later, TSJ returns to you Ye Shiqi.

Wow ...love those snow... thanks so much for sharing..

Winny24:
Of course you do not have to agree with me or say maybe my understanding of the term "plot device" is not so correct.. But what I am meaning mainly is I think XL is sort of like secretive character and I have least connection with him compare to the other 3 main.

Yeah, I think using that term "plot device" can be misleading and that's what has bothered me about some of the posts on the main page. Any character at times will be used to drive the plot forward, but unless they are a very minor, undeveloped character, they cannot be merely a plot device. So the way I see it, all the main characters in this story (including Jing and XL) are truly complex characters. They all have a beginning, middle and ending and eliminating any one of them would severely alter the story.

I agree with you that XL is very hard to read - he keeps his true feelings close to himself. It's mostly to the reader of the novel and through TJC's performance that we are allowed some insight into what he truly feels. Even XY does not know in the end everything that is going on inside him. And yes, different characters speak to different people. Like you, I connect more with Jing and his story as opposed to XL (in both book and drama).

Guys check out the scene where Jing jump into the river to pluck flowers for xy

https://m.weibo.cn/p/100808afe57cbc92fa5d06916b8baa186380e6/super_index?jumpfrom=weibocom#&video

peng-peng:

Jing with the help of XY healed  himself. XY with the help of Jing healed herself. 

Had XY ran away with XL, she would still have been carrying her deep wounds caused by her mother abandonment  and the  hurt of being a bastard.  XY would have never been able to have internal peace. Those 2 things were extremly important to her. I am glad that Jing changed her because he knew her. Xl did not her but also did not. 

I am glad that XY opened her heart to Jing, longed for him and ONLY  him.  She let him warm her cold heart. 

You’re right, cos even in the novel, she told ZX that he thinks Jing likes her because she helped him not knowing how much Jing helped her emotionally too. Jing made her heart warm,show affection & love. He also helped her at her lowest point,has done soo much for her. Where ZX replied, but Jing broke her heart & made her vomit blood & was bedridden. XY said she thought being in love was a one way thing,not knowing it takes 2 people to make things work. So yeah, Jing’s the sole reason for XY changing. So it’s understandable why she’ll want to kill ZX or even kill herself in the end cos if I can’t have Jing then I’ll die & be with him in the afterlife.

FTCU:

Guys check out the scene where Jing jump into the river to pluck flowers for xy

https://m.weibo.cn/p/100808afe57cbc92fa5d06916b8baa186380e6/super_index?jumpfrom=weibocom#&video

I just saw this scene..the way he jump into water...lol...im so happy to see his smile again..