With how complicated he is, I think our 9-headed demon deserves his own discussion section. Discuss and ask questions to your heart’s content!

I think one of the biggest scenes for XY and XL so far is the dream/nightmare discussion on the beach (episode 19).  The following breakdown is from another user who I think did a really good job of breaking down this scene and the two characters’ thoughts process:

“XY was honest with XL. She said "My gege said I'm a girl who still daydream." Here "daydream" meant a girl romantic hope. When Yuan met Xinyue, it was XY who called it fate. This show she still has a romantic bone in her. If she was as callous and pragmatic as Yuan, she would have said the same thing he said, that benefits trump the rest. That's why Xuan said she's still a romantic at heart, aka "a girl who still daydream".

Then she tell him "I don't want you to accidentally walk into my dream." She already define what this dream is, so it can only mean she don't want to accidentally fall in love with him. Because she's still a girl at heart, who will think about and dream about her love. And then she gave him the final nail in the coffin by saying "It's because you're not the type suitable to walk into a girl's dream." It means that he's not a suitable partner for her.

XY said it so beautifully and honestly that XL can only bitterly laugh. She indirectly let him know he affected her and she has some feeling for him. Because if she doesn't, then how could she accidentally love him over a kiss? But then she told him they can never be. She can't love him/ she won't allow herself to love him, because he's not suitable for her.

XY was mad when he came because he felt XY lied to him. He now got her honesty, but this honesty only broke his heart a million time more. I think XL knew it deep down, but still holding to a shred of hope. Now with XY words, he knew he can no longer hide from the truth, and he can no longer lash out at her. He can blame her for her lies, but he can't blame her for who he chose to be. XL issue is not that he's a demon, but who chose to allied with. And he won't give that up. So it's not XY but it's his fault. That is why I think XL was so bitter in that moment.”

MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS BELOW

It’s heartbreaking how XY will never know how much she meant to XL. She cries over his death, but she believes that everything he did was a trade off/motivated by personal interest. The truth couldn’t be further. I hate how the author made XL so loveable, even dedicating the epilogue to him, but denies XY the truth about him. 

think it all goes back to the beach scene about dreams and nightmares. It set the stage for why he chose to never reveal his feelings (he didn’t want her to fall for him and be in a “nightmare”).  Til the end, he just wanted a lifetime of love and happiness for her and decided she couldn’t get that with him so he pushed her away. Had she known his feelings for her, XY would fall in love with only him and would not be able to be with Jing. Even if she doesn’t accept it, I believe she loved him all along and just needed him to take 1 step (aka confess). Otherwise, she would not have cried as she did over someone that “uses her. She breaks down over him deleting the memories from the mirror and how he did not leaving anything for her to remember him by. 

Despite the odds, I really wanted a happy ending for them together. 

Beautifully said!  I honestly believe that Xiang Liu had never known love or interest in another immortal being before Xiao Yao stumbled in his path.  He was a loner and chose the warrior's story over one of intimacy, and then fate intervened.  The absolute best authors or playwrights pen a narrative that could split off in at least ten directions.  "If Xiang Liu had confessed his feelings...", "if Cang Xuan had chosen love over power and manipulation..." are two directions the plot could go, and the story would be just as engaging to the viewer. That being said, Xiang Liu is one of my favorite characters to date, both in writing and being expertly acted by Tan Jian Ci.  His nuanced portrayal of Xiang Liu opens a small window of understanding into the machinations of both the pursuit of loving Xiao Yao and keeping her at a distance.  I'd love if they would devote another drama to this character.

Even though this ship is sinking I'll gladly sink with it. Remember the scene where XY ask ZL to switched sides instead of Chenrong? Feels like it is the foreshadowing of their relationship. And the final hit for the ship to sink is that beach scene. Oh god I literally cried for ZL. If they really are changing some details from the novel, I hope in the 2nd season they give ZL/FFB what he deserves. 

Doesn’t XL leave her a snow globe that he makes for her in the epilogue to remember him by and wish her a lifetime of happiness?

I like the storyline of Xiao Yao and Cang Xuan because it reflects the very realistic thread of the tragedy of choices. I also understand why she would ultimately choose Tushan Jing due to his gentle and very determined decision to stay with Xiao Yao without conditions.  He simply loves her.  But Xiang Liu is the most interesting character because of his complex nature.  Savagery and compassion are intertwined in his thoughts, and I've never seen a role like his in any drama or book.  The two dimensional "I'm a good person, just misunderstood" is not here, and it's fascinating.  

hashtagorion:

Doesn’t XL leave her a snow globe that he makes for her in the epilogue to remember him by and wish her a lifetime of happiness?

He did and he left a letter for her but it was hidden. It was never mentioned that XY read it though. I think it was mentioned that it was hidden so well that even he cannot take it out. This was his last message though:

"Remembering our first meeting in Qing Shui Town, you were all shits and giggles, a mouth full of made up crap. But the only thing you said that was true was: I have no ability to take care of myself, no one to rely on, and nowhere to go.

After over tens years of teaching you archery, you now have the ability to take care of yourself. You don’t need to use your own body to protect someone you treasure when danger is around. The right man for you, you now have someone to rely on, you don’t have to be all alone anymore with solitude as your companion. The sky is vast and oceans deep, you now have a place to go and don’t need to be chased by people and be without a place to call home.

Xiang Liu thought to himself: Xiao Yao, from now on I can no longer stand watch to protect over you, you have to take good care of yourself, wishing you a lifetime of worry free happiness." 

The globe is the only one left that reminds her of XL. XL erased his images/memories that XY saved in her mirror. 

Tbh, I am a bit heartbroken to see these barren replies of xiang liu's love story to Xiaoyao compared to the neighbour thread of Jing's. Xiang Liu deserved to be honored more anyway.

Xiang Liu was grown by himself in harsh surrounding, he managed to survive by being fierce, fear and tough. He was far from being loved, even more perhaps he only knew that love was all sacrifice which he later did to Xiaoyao for his entire life. He made a mistake for hurting Xiao yao from the beginning, but since at first Xiao Yao befriended with him because of loneliness similarity, hurtfull childhood experience, out of fear, finally he opened his only heart to her particullarly with the dangerous tool of love poisoning bugs as requested by XY.

I could feel his pain anyway when Xiaoyao had turned into a girl, and even as a princess and rejected him, and forgetting about the suffering he had to endure because of the bugs. I mean, here XY was also changing her character, from selfless, tough and helping, kind physician man to a selfish, sentimental, a bit hindering, and inconsiderate princess. She became a way similar to her step sister. Tbh, after the change, for me I only saw Xiang Liu's sacrifice journey as a point of interest in this drama. Because he was the only character who remained in loneliness and suffering until the end, and again betrayed by the one he gave his only heart to.

Cang Xuan was still as royal and in luxury. Eventhough Cang Xuan hurt her, humiliated her, tortured her, broke her leg when she was as Wen Xiao Liu, she forgave him, even always saved him in numerous threatening events.
Tushan Jing was still in wealthiness as tycoon in gods kingdoms. As a girl, XY chose him from the beginning, even kissed him voluntarily.
Fenglong was always nobels, even he would have been marrying XiaoYao if not being halted by Xiang Liu.

Xiang Liu was always there when Xiaoyao was in danger although sometimes Jing got the moment to help her faster. He gave his first kiss to save her in the water, but when he reenacted the event later when she was a girl, she rejected him and even chose to die.
The saddest moment would be when Xiaoyao removed the bug from herself but not from Xiang Liu's which resulted in damaging his lifespan. Xiang Liu endured his painful sacrifice, alone, until the very end of his last battle as Gong gong general later.

Lost you forever was telling about Xiang Liu's learning of love and sacrifice. He could not have a reciprocate love from Xiaoyao thus why he had to lose her forever along with his demise. He even wiped out her memory of him through the wedding gift. His infinite and sincere love was in silence. Whether Xiaoyao knew about his love and devotion was remained unclear.

At least here was his last words in the novel epilogue which could cause the readers heart wrenched.

"After over tens years of teaching you archery, you now have the ability to take care of yourself. You don’t need to use your own body to protect someone you treasure when danger is around. The right man for you, you now have someone to rely on, you don’t have to be all alone anymore with solitude as your companion. The sky is vast and ocean is deep, you now have a place to go and don’t need to be chased by people and be without a place to call home.

Xiao Yao, from now on I can no longer stand watch to protect over you, you have to take good care of yourself, wishing you a lifetime of worry free happiness."

What a devoted silent love.

hashtagorion:

Doesn’t XL leave her a snow globe that he makes for her in the epilogue to remember him by and wish her a lifetime of happiness?

I thought it was a wooden doll with a big head and belly lol. But yes, like Feyre said, XY doesn’t know it’s from XL. XL made another character give it to her as wedding gift from that person.  Im still conflicted if denying the truth from XY is the most compassionate or tragic part of XL and XY’s story. 

Mina:

I thought it was a wooden doll with a big head and belly lol. But yes, like Feyre said, XY doesn’t know it’s from XL. XL made another character give it to her as wedding gift from that person.  Im still conflicted if denying the truth from XY is the most compassionate or tragic part of XL and XY’s story. 

Wasn't it furball who sent XL last gift to XY? 

Maybe he knows that she'll be more devastated if she would learn he depth of his affection for her that's wby he kept it from her. From what I remember, when she heard of his passing, it was said that it had devastated her. 

Feyre:

Wasn't it furball who sent XL last gift to XY? 

Maybe he knows that she'll be more devastated if she would learn he depth of his affection for her that's wby he kept it from her. From what I remember, when she heard of his passing, it was said that it had devastated her. 

He asked furball to deliver the doll to Ah Bie to give to XY as a wedding gift. He didn’t want her to know it was from him. Furball protested initially but delivered to A Bie.

Mina:

He asked furball to deliver the doll to Ah Bie to give to XY as a wedding gift. He didn’t want her to know it was from him. Furball protested initially but delivered to A Bie.

Ohh then XY never really knew who it was from. And from that, I don't think XY will ever know the letter that was hidden inside of it 

I'm not very good a summarizing so I just want to add the excerpt  from the novel about XL's death..:

["Xiao Yao's face was ashen white but she kept muttering the same lie over and over "I'm fine! I was already prepared...when I first met him I knew this day would come! I always knew!" 

Jing picked up the wine jug "Then let's drink!"

Jing poured the wine for Xiao Yao and she picked it up and gulped it down, the strong wine giving her cheeks a red flush. 

The sky gradually darkened. 

Jing said "If you don't want to rest. I can accompany you for a stroll outside."

Xiao Yao staggered to the pallet " I can fall asleep."

Jing could tell she was trying to battle herself so he didn't say more and released the curtains for her to rest. Xiao Yao breathed evenly in and didn't move, appearing to fall into a slumber. In the middle of the night, Xiao Yao's eyes opened wide and she stared at the beams on the ceiling. She quietly got up and looked at Jing sleeping calmly and felt relieved. She put on her outer robe and walked out of the room to sit on the jade steps. Outside the palace walls was a crescent moon, cold and lonely. 

Xiao Yao remembered the moon in Qing Shui Town. When Xiang Liu died, was the moon in the sky shining down on him like this? Did he think about the moon they looked at together? 

Even if the East Seas and Xuan Yuan were separated by tens of thousands of miles, if Xiang Liu wanted, he could always let her know. But even in death, he didn't care to say goodbye to her. In his eyes, she wasn't even someone to be deemed a friend. It was always a transaction between them, each and every time it was a deal that was calculated clearly and fairly. Xiao Yao suddenly remembered something and hurriedly searched herself before taking out the mystical Gorilla Mirror she always kept by her side. Inside the mirror were two memories she saved and not it was the only thing she had left of him. 

*** This part is where she describes what the memories are***

Xiao Yao took a deep breath and used her power to turn on the mirror. But after swiping repeatedly nothing appeared. 

Xiao Yao grew frantic. "It can't be! It can't be!" She anxiously used her power to look into the mirror but no matter how many times she looked, there were no memories of Xiang Liu. Even the only thing he left to her was gone! Xiao Yao could not believe it and she angrily kept trying the mirror. 

"How could this be? How could this be?..." 

***Her remembering Xiang telling her to erase the memories from the mirror**

She stroked the mirror through tears. "Xiang in your eyes, am I really that meaningless? So you won't even leave me a small memory!" "Nine-headed demon I hate you!" Xiao violently threw the mirror as her tears tumbled down her cheek. 

***she starts recalling all the times they spent together and the last time they saw each other** 

....She hated him for being so cold-blooded and vowed to never see him again. If she knew that would be the last time they would see each other again in this lifetime, she would have said something else. No matter how cold and harsh he was to her, she would never ever have wanted to say what she said to him. Xiao Yao's entire face was awash with tears and she lifted her head to stare at the sky. 

'Xiang Liu, why? Why? Why do you treat me this way? Why won't you even let me keep one memory of you...so our hundreds of years together, it was always just a transaction to you?'

**Atp Jing comes out, comforts her, and tells her he's not a petty man and is grateful to XL for saving XY all those times. So XY cries a bunch in his arms and then remembers what XL told her about the ocean and uninhabited islands and tells Jing that they should go to one. So they start packing etc..Also, she takes the doll XL left for her but doesn't know it was XL that left it for her**]

This was a really long excerpt from the last chapter of the novel but I like this part a lot because I feel like it showcases XL and XY's relationship really well. Throughout the novel, XY has been trying to fight back the feelings she has for XL because she knows a relationship with him is a doomed one. And there are points where XL tries to remind her of that as well. But despite all that, she still loves him. I used to think that XL was so frustrating because he wouldn't let her keep any part of him other than what was hidden in the doll but I kind of get why he erased their memories now. If he didn't do that, XY would/will never be able to fully move on one day with someone who can give XY the things that XL's responsibilities prevent him from being able to give her. At the end of the day, all he wants is for her to have all the things she was never able to have before: someone who will always stay with her and be able to protect herself. And before he died, he made sure that she had these things, the things she told him she didn't have and wanted/needed. XL is a very complex character and he doesn't always show his love in the best ways, but I feel like this is one of the most selfless things he did for her. Personally, I don't think XY will ever be able to fully forget him but XL made sure, by saving Jing, that she would at least have someone that gave her peace within her sorrow and that is a very beautiful thing. I think the way the two of them love her is very special. That's why I've always been team yaoliujing. 

Okay, that's all. I'll probably add other things later but this one just really stuck out to me.

Feyre:

Ohh then XY never really knew who it was from. And from that, I don't think XY will ever know the letter that was hidden inside of it 

She might, especially now that they are on their way to find the mermaid couple. 

Mina and Aisha and...you all brought up a great description of XL. I agree, yet, I think it is about a choice. XL is a loner.  He is very romantic and loves XY in his way; the way he sacrifices everything for her and more, but he is the one who chooses not to share his feeling with her and only love her in secret in his lonely heart. I think in his way he reached his ultimate stage in love and even designed the end scenes. What a melodrama he created. Pain is a familiar part of him that he is comfortable with. He is not a selfless person, but couldn't hurt XY by forcing her in falling in painful love with him. I give him much better scores than CX who just used everyone even the only love of his life XY.