Kokuto:

Reading some comments in the LYF S1 page.  I really have to wonder if I'm watching the same show as others.  And I'm not talking about a YaoJing post either.

It's really weird.  I know some of it may be a language problem but I also think some folks aren't paying attention or ... I don't know.  I mean, from the beginning, Jing lied about almost everything about himself and what he would do, and yet he's honest?

Is there a specific post you are thinking of @Kokuto? I haven't visited the main comment section in a while. 

I think maybe viewers watch this drama and read the book through the lens of idol romantic drama/conventional romance novels so there's a strong focus on love. So everything comes down to how much so and so love the female lead measured by how much so and so are willing to give up for her. The more you give up, the more you love and the more worthy you are.

Kokuto:

Reading some comments in the LYF S1 page.  I really have to wonder if I'm watching the same show as others.  And I'm not talking about a YaoJing post either.

It's really weird.  I know some of it may be a language problem but I also think some folks aren't paying attention or ... I don't know.  I mean, from the beginning, Jing lied about almost everything about himself and what he would do, and yet he's honest?

generation difference, idol fans and paying attention to detail play big role. 

Many young viewers now think that a sweet, devotion boyfriend like Jing would be better than having a violent, cold but handsome BF. 

I know that you feel the Liu-Yao affection from the drama. As a neutral, not young viewer, I did not feel much from XY side. I don't know if XL's expression affected your judgement. 

LYF is indeed not easy to showcase on drama since half of the story is hidden which requires extra attention for readers to trace it out. Thus this can have influence on viewers' comprehension of the drama content. 

HeadInTheClouds:

Is there a specific post you are thinking of @Kokuto? I haven't visited the main comment section in a while. 

I think maybe viewers watch this drama and read the book through the lens of idol romantic drama/conventional romance novels so there's a strong focus on love. So everything comes down to how much so and so love the female lead measured by how much so and so are willing to give up for her. The more you give up, the more you love and the more worthy you are. 

https://mydramalist.com/44985-lost-you-forever#comment-16194497

Though I understand how some people don't get Xiang Liu, since he hides so much and I can see how watching for romance might make a difference in which character you like, but what I don't understand is that the character they are describing, is not the character that is on the screen.

For example, the claim that Jing gave up everything for XY.  Well, that is just objectively wrong.  He SAID he'd give up things, but he never actually committed the action of giving up anything.  Almost everything he allegedly gave up was actually taken from him. Even though I agree that Jing abandoned his nephew / son, it was another passive decision that came about because of the actions of others.   I mean, if someone steals your motorcycle, did you actually give it up cause your girl friend asked?  No.  You didn't give it up.  You held onto it, until it was taken away from you. 

And don't get me started on the description of their storybook love.  Mature?  SMH.  Amongst all the decidely unromantic behavior, season 1 ends with them separated over a betrayal, her coughing up blood over him, and engaged to another man!  That's a horror story, not a storybook love.

Kokuto:

For me, I seriously think it's a literacy issue--the ability to comprehend complex literary and abstract ideas in literature and film. LYF employs alot if beautiful filmming technique that is lost to people (young and old) hung on idol dramas. When your watching fast/mass produced dramas all the time, the only language that becomes familiar is the easy to see and easy to read kind.

I know I sound kind of standoff ish and snobby, but I just love storytelling and beautiful filmmaking too much. So I don't have alot of patience for people who just can't see all the hard work and efforts of the creators and artists.

And they say that yaojing is true love.Have you ever seen true love deliberately refuse to treat paralyzed legs four times even though he doesn't lack money, doesn't lack medicine, and doesn't lack doctors?? What did he do? Try to control Xiaoyao's gentleness. What kind of true love is this? I don't think it's important that he's cunning. It's not a bad thing to be smart.But the way he proposed? the hero first says that you don't meet my ideal type in everything, which makes the girl feel inferior. Then he talks about your shortcomings. That shortcoming is not okay, that is not okay. The girl followed him and started to deny herself. Then the man said it doesn't matter. Your shortcomings are all my advantages. Denying the other party to increase self-worth. Then he, you have so many shortcomings, I have so many advantages, but only I will never leave you. If it's not a pua, it's a proposal. My little one has so many advantages but he didn't even mention it. Some people think that his proposal is romantic. Have these girls never been loved?I'm so impressed. It's so pitiful for the little one to be arranged like this by the author. It's better for she to be the queen mother than to be with him

H19279:
generation difference, idol fans and paying attention to detail play big role.

Many young viewers now think that a sweet, devotion boyfriend like Jing would be better than having a violent, cold but handsome BF.

That's my point.  They aren't paying attention, if they think THAT is what the choices are.  And I truly fear for the younger generation if they are looking at such shallowness in romance -- sweet and handsome?

I can understand if someone's preference is for a 'green flag' boyfriend, but, again, those aren't the characters I see in the drama.  Cause I don't think a sweet, devoted boyfriend refuses to leave his family and instead treats their girlfriend like a sidepiece while stalking them.  That's not devotion or sweet.  This is my stumbling block.

H19279:
I know that you feel the Liu-Yao affection from the drama. As a neutral, not young viewer, I did not feel much from XY side. I don't know if XL's expression affected your judgement.

Well, I do admit, that XL's expression affects my judgement regularly. lol!    But I do feel that Yang Zi captures XY's love for XL when she looks at him.  And just like CX, XY tries to save XL's life.  Plus their chemistry is off the charts.

H19279:
LYF is indeed not easy to showcase on drama since half of the story is hidden which requires extra attention for readers to trace it out. Thus this can have influence on viewers' comprehension of the drama content.

Like I said, I can understand how some people don't get XL, but other stuff seems very obvious to me, that I don't understand why is getting ignored.

I don't think it's necessarily just the younger generation. I think a lot of viewers watch things on a very superficial surface level with only partial attention these days, so they miss a lot of the visual storytelling and what is shown between the scripted spoken lines. I also think a lot of people have a very binary, black and white, way of thinking, especially when it comes to their attitude towards the entertainment and media they consume -- it gives them a sense of superiority, morality, control and comfort when seeing shades of gray is too chaotic and scary for their minds and emotions to process and accept.

And for some viewers, just like in real life, first impressions are extremely powerful. Their first impressions of Jing as Shiqi were very positive, their first impressions of XL were very negative, and they cannot move past that no matter what.

It doesn't upset me but I do feel a bit sad for those people, they're missing out on probably more than 50% of what makes this show better than your average idol xianxia.

Like with any good show, there are going to be sectors of viewers who view, interpret, digest, and understand the show on various levels and depths.

And some of it could be as basic as preferring Deng Wei's lovelorn pretty boy pining to Tan Jianci lol.

And some of it could be as basic as preferring Deng Wei's lovelorn pretty boy pining to Tan Jianci lol.

Iol... I take JCT pretty face over Deng Wei. JC soft features are way more attractive to me than Deng Wei'd chisel looks. Also, JC eyes and lips are just perfect. hahahaha.

plor20:
Iol... I take JCT pretty face over Deng Wei. JC soft features are way more attractive to me than Deng Wei'd chisel looks. Also, JC eyes and lips are just perfect.

Me too, if I had to choose between the two, easy choice for me. But Deng Wei's look is considered peak male idol perfection by a lot of Chinese idol drama viewers' standards.

I wouldn't put all the blame on the viewers though, I belive TH played a little too much with the words she used and even though I don't think that her initial intention was to deliberately cast so much confusion, it is obvious that once she saw people's different reactions towards her characters she pretty much chose to let it be. She is a fine writer, but honestly there were some aspects that she could have handle it better. 

atmospheres:

Me too, if I had to choose between the two, easy choice for me. But Deng Wei's look is considered peak male idol perfection by a lot of Chinese idol drama viewers' standards.

Welp.  Is it the height thing again? Or I need new glasses. Maybe it’s a cultural thing because I really don’t see it. My eyes only see Tan. The rest is all sort of blurry lololol

atmospheres:

Well, not my preference, but I understand it is others' choice.  And I understand if that's why someone likes Jing... but just because the actor is pretty, it doesn't change the fact that the character is not honest, or not the perfect "green flag" his fans say he is.

plor20:
Iol... I take JCT pretty face over Deng Wei. JC soft features are way more attractive to me than Deng Wei'd chisel looks. Also, JC eyes and lips are just perfect. hahahaha.

I agree.  Tan Jian Ci's eyes are amazing, full of an universe of emotions and thoughts.  I far prefer watching his animated features that can swiftly move from silly to sexy.  Attraction and charisma requires far more than just physical features.

atmospheres:

Their loss.  I still can't grasp anyone thinking Tan Jianci's lovely features aren't handsome enough.  He's gorgeous.

nathsketch:

Welp.  Is it the height thing again? Or I need new glasses. Maybe it’s a cultural thing because I really don’t see it. My eyes only see Tan. The rest is all sort of blurry lololol

I don't get the height thing.  I mean, when I see him next to other actors and stars they are about the same height, maybe an inch or so taller.  Sure, when he's standing next to Jin Shi Jia he looks smaller, but everyone looks smaller next to Jin Shi Jia.

The important thing is that his personality and talent are larger than life.

Kokuto:
https://mydramalist.com/44985-lost-you-forever#comment-16194497

Though I understand how some people don't get Xiang Liu, since he hides so much and I can see how watching for romance might make a difference in which character you like, but what I don't understand is that the character they are describing, is not the character that is on the screen.

Thanks for the link Kokuto. It seems like a rather surface-level view of Jing without considering his less-than-desirable traits and actions. I think with this character, it's easy to get sucked in by his pretty words and promises - made all the more appealing because he is sincere in his feelings  - and because he comes across as so helpless and such a victim of circumstances, it's easy to feel sympathetic and pitiful towards him. From there, it's wanting to protect, and make excuses for him. Just like Xiao Yao does in the novel. I'm wondering if it's a case of people with strong boundaries and a sense of accountability/responsibility having less patience for this sort of pitiful/woe-is-me helplessness that Jing exudes.

plor20:
For me, I seriously think it's a literacy issue--the ability to comprehend complex literary and abstract ideas in literature and film. LYF employs alot if beautiful filmming technique that is lost to people (young and old) hung on idol dramas. When your watching fast/mass produced dramas all the time, the only language that becomes familiar is the easy to see and easy to read kind.

atmospheres:
I think a lot of viewers watch things on a very superficial surface level with only partial attention these days, so they miss a lot of the visual storytelling and what is shown between the scripted spoken lines. I also think a lot of people have a very binary, black and white, way of thinking,

I think there are truths in these comments. It seems like people are approaching this novel/story from that very young adult/conventional romance framework of love is everything and love triangles and whose team you're on. It's very Edwards vs. Jacob. Unfortunately, that's the framework that is prevalent in popular entertainment. Shipping wars are the norm and everyone is so busy proving how their ship is the superior one that they forget to read or consider anything else. To be fair, there is probably not much else to consider in these popular works of fiction. Differing opinions is fine, I just wish they would cut out on the moral judgment and personal attacks.

Speaking of literacy issues. When does it stop being a subjective interpretation and become a willful misinterpretation or miscomprehension of the work? I'm very much a "we all have our own way of looking a things" kind of person, but there are times when I'm truly baffled by some of the conclusions that some readers reach since it's at odd with the simplest comprehension of the work. While there are subjective differences at play, surely there is a certain degree of objectivity when it comes to the written words?

H19279:

Kokuto:
That's my point. They aren't paying attention, if they think THAT is what the choices are. And I truly fear for the younger generation if they are looking at such shallowness in romance -- sweet and handsome?

This sort of reductive thinking is troubling. I truly don't understand how anyone can look at some of Jing's actions and not only do they not see how troubling they are, but praise them. You don't have to like Xiang Liu to see this. Jing's act of wanting to die with Xiao Yao alone should be a giant flag that this character ain't right in the head. I can only chalk it up to different values.

atmospheres:

Definitely a personal taste thing 'cause DW's Jing mopey pining was completely off-putting. There's emotionally expressive and then there's the "please don't be mad at me" pitiful look that this character gives off. I also don't like it when TJC's XL veered into lovelorn, pitiful territory either - thank goodness it didn't happen often. Can I get my dignified XL from the novel back, please? Begging for pity is Jing's territory. He can keep it :-). 

plor20:

atmospheres:

Physical looks aside, I'll watch TJC's act over DW any day. TJC is a lot more expressive - facially as well as acting with his eyes. I've mentioned early in this thread that I'm not fond of some of the changes to XL's character in the drama, but TJC's acting sucks me in and I can't help but like his XL. 

Kokuto:
Well, not my preference, but I understand it is others' choice. And I understand if that's why someone likes Jing... but just because the actor is pretty, it doesn't change the fact that the character is not honest, or not the perfect "green flag" his fans say he is.

I think this is part and parcel of how fandom works. DW's fans will support and praise his character because DW played him. They don't separate the character from the actor and see any "attack" on the character as an attack on DW. I think it's about making sure that DW doesn't get criticized. Just like how YZ's fandom will protect XY and by extension DW's Jing since he's XY's "official partner" and disliking Jing is tantamount to criticizing XY and therefore criticizing ZY. It's a strange mentality.