I made this thread so people can rant and comment their opinion without ppl going "omg hater" and attacking whoever talks bad. Cuz clearly ppl cant take a down negative comment. Yes I'm a hater but i'm not an unreasonable hater. I have every right to not like this work. I came in with little expectations that they'd do it 100% right but I was hoping they'd get the high emotion and important details right.

Firstly I would like to point out that they COMPLETELY changes who Su Mo rlly is. Not the worst OOC compare to douluo dalu BUT... R U KIDDING ME?? Original Su Mo is manipulative and played with Bai Ying's heart bc of his hatred. Hate is a major word in his life and after Bai Ying died, he started to regret what he did to Bai Ying and he started to have this internal fight. In the novel, Su Mo cares a lot about his race and devotes himself to revenge. and HELLO?? drama version Su Mo, where r u so fat and health?? When u see merfolks being enslaved and abuse, why does it look like U DONT GIVE A SHIT whether or not they're alive or dead?? Hello?? where's the Su Mo who cares so much about the well being of merfolks?? Why looks it look like drama version couldn't care less??

Li YiFeng looks like he has nothing to do with Su Mo.... some of the worst choice making ever.... Su Mo is a beautiful merman whose beauty makes ppl unable to identify whether he's a girl or boy, meaning the ML also radiate a feminine charm. Li YiFeng is no longer the him when he is SuSu... Like which part of his face looks feminine...?

like "oh, i'm going to pick a masculine actor to play a character who looks feminine. what a great idea" They could've easily pick an actor who fits the role and have high metabolism. I ain't fat shaming here. I think fat is perfectly fine somewhere else. Ppl who attacks me for calling him fat most likely thinks fat is a bad thing otherwise why would u be angry about it? It's just this role, especially when he was still a genderless child is an abused and probably malnourished lowly SLAVE. Nothing about his situation makes him healthy and fit. I'm mad that Li YiFeng just didn't seem to respect the character and wasn't being very professional about his job. I mean I'm thinking of how Cheng Yi lost weight to fit his role as a sickly emperor or Luo YunXi losing weight for his role. Or when Ahn HyeoSop lost weight for his Still 17 drama. I'm not asking u to be skinny cuz it's better but that's what this role requires. Like nobody FORCED u to take that role.  Leave it to someone else who values their job more. Lastly for this paragraph, fat doesn't necessarily mean healthy. 

Another thing that gets me is how emotionally lacking the suicide scene is in the drama. I was full of expectation cuz it's a high emotion scene but watching the drama version well... my heart has never been more stable and without any ripples. I was expecting something more than that and afterwards, I'm just like: "That's it??"I get more emotional  than that when I drop my phone to ground. 

And the romance, ugh! don't even get me started. What was so complicated yet beautiful they turned it into this cliche love story. Like a tree that witness their love ah, spinning in circles with the power of love ah, hero saves the damsel in distress ah. Ugh! U only met TWICE and ur already in love.  It's more complicated than a "love at first sight" oh my lord! And the relationship between Bai Ying and Zhen Lan was so much more than that!  They're like an old couple that's been together for a long time and they develop that mutual understanding, nothing like that stupid love brain we see in the drama. 

Dropped the live action drama at Episode 10.

Reasons:

1.  I do not like Croton dramas.  3L3W left a bad taste in my mouth what with really crappy CGI and bad scripting made worse because Yang Mi was the boss of that show, like not FL but boss of the production so the main focus of the drama was her and only her.  This drama just picks up where 3L3W left off:  Bad CGI, too much melodrama, etc.  

2.  I kept bashing ALP (Ancient Love Poetry) and SSS (Sword Snow Stride) only because Tencent did everything right but chose fugly actresses to play the FL.  Every girl in those dramas were prettier than the FL!  Was I supposed to admire those dramas?  How could I ever do anything other bash them?

3.  I don't like it when there is a scene where the ML chokes the FL to near death.  What drama trying to do for society?  Propagate more violence towards women?

If I had to choose, I pick a Tencent production anyday.  At the end of the day I dropped M:TC drama at Ep 10, but watched ALP and SSS to the very end last episode.  You can check my posting history I bashed ALP and SSS non-stop but still managed to finish them!

Hunter2022:
1.  I do not like Croton dramas.  3L3W left a bad taste in my mouth what with really crappy CGI and bad scripting made worse because Yang Mi was the boss of that show, like not FL but boss of the production so the main focus of the drama was her and only her.  This drama just picks up where 3L3W left off:  Bad CGI, too much melodrama, etc.  

2.  I kept bashing ALP (Ancient Love Poetry) and SSS (Sword Snow Stride) only because Tencent did everything right but chose fugly actresses to play the FL.  Every girl in those dramas were prettier than the FL!  Was I supposed to admire those dramas?  How could I ever do anything other bash them?

FINALLY!!! Someone's who's not a blind fan. Fun fact, the original novel to 3L3W is plagiarized. That author Tang 7, all of her novels are plagiarized in some way. And u know what's more genius? She only plagiarize BOYS LOVE novels so the other authors can't do nothing with her seeing the LGBTQ rights and prejudice in China. Also the first installment of that, the clothes are just AWEFUL! Also am I the only one who thinks Yang Mi is overrated? Also if u ignore Ye Hua's actor's acting skills, that man is a useless coward.

As for the 2nd one, Zhou DongYu is actually a golden horse and rooster film empress... except dramas aren't very suited for her... The acting in historical settings are especially dramatized so she looks out of place  

Hunter2022:
If I had to choose, I pick a Tencent production anyday.  At the end of the day I dropped M:TC drama at Ep 10, but watched ALP and SSS to the very end last episode.  You can check my posting history I bashed ALP and SSS non-stop but still managed to finish them!

same here. at least i can bring myself to finish tencent dramas (except Douluo Dalu cuz i love that series more than i love MXTX's novels)  but honestly Mirror is so bad. Not to mention they left out my cute little puppet ANuo (i think thats his name)

I knew something seemed off about the drama! Things just didn't really fit well. Like, how are the Crown Prince and Bai Ying so close? The Crown Prince was just a dead body so when did he even fall in love with Bai Ying? Why was Bai Ying so mad at Su Mo before jumping off the Mirror Tower? Why was curing Su Mo's eyes so easy? It all just seemed weird so I went to start reading the novel to understand better but within the first 5 chapters or so, It was like a whole different story! Su Mo had a whole different personality and he was blind and had a puppet too (which is much cooler in my opinion)! Na Sheng also had a different personality. I'm not too far in the novel and haven't met Bai Ying yet. I'm going to continue reading now! 

YourDearFriend:

I knew something seemed off about the drama! Things just didn't really fit well. Like, how are the Crown Prince and Bai Ying so close? The Crown Prince was just a dead body so when did he even fall in love with Bai Ying? Why was Bai Ying so mad at Su Mo before jumping off the Mirror Tower? Why was curing Su Mo's eyes so easy? It all just seemed weird so I went to start reading the novel to understand better but within the first 5 chapters or so, It was like a whole different story! Su Mo had a whole different personality and he was blind and had a puppet too (which is much cooler in my opinion)! Na Sheng also had a different personality. I'm not too far in the novel and haven't met Bai Ying yet. I'm going to continue reading now! 

right?? they completely changed Su Mo!! Whitewashed him into this kind and upright young man... Fucking -!  that completely missed out the interesting and high emotional scenes! And the crown prince and Bai Ying's relationship is soooo much better. In the novel, his feelings made MUCH more sense and very ship worthy. Honestly, those folks in the main comment section are brainwashed by the cast line and wont even listen to reasonings. Why are these ppl so easy to please?? And they blame the chinese netizens for being harsh. Even for non readers that was trash. 

Not just the main comments, even a lot of Chinese are saying "seperate the drama and novel" Sure! They used the same title as the novel and it's an adaptation, ofc it wasn't made to get the novel fans money! It only want to have a "loose connection" to the book. Ofc!!🥴🤡

where can i read the novel?

HanShuang:

where can i read the novel?

u can find the link on novelupdates

just type the title down

Euphoria:

u can find the link on novelupdates

just type the title down

thank you.  but on novelupdates there are only 3 chapter, the other ones are The longest promise

Wow.....I was going to read the novel...but after reading the posts in here... it made me lose interest in the novel. I guess I will stick to the drama then since it feels like I am a minority who actually enjoyed the changes to the ML from the sounds of things. 

i put this one on hold after 14...i couldn't continue anymore... the change in the core and essence of the characters was too much for me to take... I understand it's andadaptations and productions need to make some changes but at least keep the main leads core/essence of the story...what bugged me the most is them taking Sumo struggle for his people and all the sacrifice for them...they are enslave its pretty engrave him to fight and be free... but here i dont' know he doesn't seem to show this struggle or concern/care much ...i feel he is more concern of the guilt trip and what happen with Bai ying and sappy blah blah romance trope drama dishing out...and them focus on love triangle too much...then the horrible editing/directing really screw up and make matter worst with the storytelling....

Jade13:

i put this one on hold after 14...i couldn't continue anymore... the change in the core and essence of the characters was too much for me to take... I understand it's andadaptations and productions need to make some changes but at least keep the main leads core/essence of the story...what bugged me the most is them taking Sumo struggle for his people and all the sacrifice for them...they are enslave its pretty engrave him to fight and be free... but here i dont' know he doesn't seem to show this struggle or concern/care much ...i feel he is more concern of the guilt trip and what happen with Bai ying and sappy blah blah romance trope drama dishing out...and them focus on love triangle too much...then the horrible editing/directing really screw up and make matter worst with the storytelling....

I agree with. The Su Mo here just doesn't seem to know the harsh and cruelty of life. And they completely take merfolks suffering for not. To put it harshly, he doesn't give a shit for his people. In the novel their eyeballs and tears are priceless treasures that only nobles can have and here? Worthless. And making Su Mo and Zhen Lan friendly with each other. If novel Su Mo were to see he would be so disgusted. They replace such good emotional parts for cringy romance 🙄 like it's the best thing in the world. I might like romance but at least I know it's not everything.

Guys, just remember this drama does not appear on WeTV because it does not meet quality control for global release.  WeTV is the international branch of Tencent.  This big big China company got a reputation to maintain.  Trust your heart any drama that does not appear on WeTV not worth watching!

Lowkey only watched like 2 eps of this drama...i dropped it at 2 eps and was gonna come back after most of the eps were aired just for the sake of finishing it but uno what after reading this i realized I made the right decision to drop it.

Hunter2022:

Guys, just remember this drama does not appear on WeTV because it does not meet quality control for global release.  WeTV is the international branch of Tencent.  This big big China company got a reputation to maintain.  Trust your heart any drama that does not appear on WeTV not worth watching!

but i remember a similar drama douluo dalu did appeared tho