You're probably wondering what made her so committed to her guilt to ZZ.  Just lik XW.

Aside the tiny schemes she plotted which affect ZZ in some ways, the MAJOR one was when she *talked* to ZZ to pardon/lower the sentence (whateva) of her subordinates that were convicted. She was desperate bc the Jiang family that time was pressing her into a corner and she wanted to secure her position as Empress.  

Anyway, ZZ didn't say anything and just left. Eventually, JXN found out that half of the people that were convicted was safe and sound (some were reinstated in their positions etc). And so JXN position and the people she planted at the palace were safe. Yay. 

BUT, the thing is that one Xiwu guard (yk who he is) and other magistrate, filed an appeal to impeach ZZ bc of his verdict filled with favoritism. And accused him of having an affair with the queen. (1/2)

Then, he was sent to prison, got tortured and all that stuff (the officials were stingy abt him so... yk). 

Oh, I forgot to add about the thing that she asked for, she promised to be a good person in return. Ofrcs, she didn't (but she guilty). Anyway, I think ZZ fell for her somehow to be able to adhere to that request. 

Back to this, ZZ's mother found out abt it, was stressed and died. On the third day that his mother died, he requested to an ink and a paper and wrote all of the crimes he committed, sentencing himself to death. 

JXN thinks that it's her fault that the country lost an upright official (it is). And I bet for all the times they spent with e/o, she grown some affection (may be romantic or not). That's why she traded her life for him as he traded his life for hers. (2/2)

That’s interesting!!! So she loves ZZ but feel guilty??? So is it guilt love???? But she also like XW too??? 

That’s interesting!!! So she loves ZZ but feel guilty??? So is it guilt love???? But she also like XW too??? 

I do think it's guilt love in the novel but who knows how will they play it in the drama. As for XW (in the present time) I think she's getting there (the romance part) !!

I think ZZ also returned to their current universe like JXN.

mparthur:

I think ZZ also returned to their current universe like JXN.

Yes that's what novel says...

@roro4

Oh yes .. I strongly got the sense .. ZZ couldn't help falling for the Empress.
She seduced him AND it's made amply clear that she was a GODDESS in the looks department - people could easily fall in her trap especially if she turned on the charm and aimed.

The drama has an extended previous life scene in which that happens .. so no doubt is left about ZZ doing it for the empress because he fell for her charms.
The Mother's death snapped him out of it .. because he was first and foremost a 'filial' child.
Remember that his mom was HUGELY supportive of him liking a girl .. and was all ready to accept her .. love her .. so ZZ must have felt confident and supported in allowing himself to fall for her.

I suspect he'd NOT have allowed himself to be swayed had his mother "looked worried sad and unsupportive of his pursuing the a girl" ether in post or pre life; besides she's have been the MOST heartbroken if she found out that he'd done the wrong thing.
He'd NEVER let her down on that.

Thus the poignancy of it all. Both for ZZ and for Empress

@Kainna
I liked your write in