Yeah, I am also watching Flower of Evil and I would say I am liking it more than IOTNBO but that would not be fair. They are similar but went on different directions. FOE is more of a criminal, suspense kind of drama, although it definitely has the healing part with his wife and daughter, while IOTNBO is more about mental illnesses and living with them and healing, definitely more of a tearjerker. 

In terms of being emotionally invested, IOTNBO definitely made me cry more often and feeling emotions I would usually not feel as I watch other drama in my lifetime by this point in time. Flower of Evil has a far more compelling story-line with the tension built up much more differently than IOTNBO. If FOE's tension was the type where my heart were racing to see the mystery get solved, IOTNBO's tension would be the sexual tension that exist between the leads. Two different tension for two different feels.

I have also similar mindset in wanting to know how the story will end for both drama (even though it can be predicted to be a happy one).  This mindset is very good for a drama since the feeling of wanting to more shows that I am much more engaged in the drama, thus I would easily build connection with the drama and enjoy it fully. Episode 9 for FOE made me teared up which I wasn't expecting from this drama as the previous episode were more suspenseful than sad. Therefore, I believe that IOTNBO would still hold a place in my heart for the inspiring messages that it gives out. Being able to relate more to those morals and references let me breathe a new fresh of air where I can fight for another day. FOE on the other hand holds a high position in my brain where I love speculating and go on a mystery solving trip beside Joon Ki and Chae Won. Especially at the fact that Joon Ki's character is very 3D with the way at how he portrayed himself as having the ability to relate with others yet noticing the small details, we can see he is an anti-social personality type individual. Joon Ki's acting 10/10. Moon Chae Won is also perfect for her role as her celebrity personality which I have seen so far displays bubbly trait that is befitting the character and she gives us a strong independent vibe. The way she acted was the main reason I cried in ep 9 so she is winning it too. Imagine a drama with two anti social personality disorder individual between Joon Ki and Ye Ji. Now that would be interesting and oh wait, they did have a drama previously in lawless lawyer where they play a more emotional character instead XD.

Yeah, I also teared up while watching ep 9 of FOE. I felt hurt with her as if that was happening to me. His reaction also touched me because I could tell he did not know how to act but was scared and feeling a sense of loss. I am sure you know what I mean. I dont want to go into too much detail so I dont spoil it for anyone who has not watched it yet.

OneAjhussi:

I guess you are right regarding psychopaths  but I still think the motivations and behavior of the mother were described in an unclear and confused manner . It was a bit disappointing that in the end, she was just a psychopath.  I always assumed there was something strange and mysterious about her: the way she talked and how raised her daughter, her clothings, the  dreams of MY about a black floating woman haunting her... ) I would have prefered something more complex about her character in the finale. 

Agreed. I also thought it was strange how she managed to be a caretaker at a psychiatric hospital for over a decade (since it's a job where a lot of empathy and compassion is required) and had good rapport with everyone. Based on the type of character she was, it seemed like she looked down on everyone and would be quick to kill anyone who dared insult her, which had to have happened loads of times with patients and probably not a few times with staff. But there was never any talk about mysterious deaths or injuries at the hospital. Even her "revenge" on her husband felt a bit weak. And with the man that she slipped the knife to, he wasn't even someone in her own hospital -- wasn't it a hospital back in Seoul that Gang Tae quit because of the whole debacle? I find it hard to believe she came all the way up to Seoul, snuck into the facility, and slipped him a knife. Her daughter made a scene at all kinds of other events, so why choose this one? I felt a bit let down by the writers in general when it came to her mom, especially the lengths they went to cover her face, since the reveal didn't matter anyway because she ended up changing her face.

The thing with psychopaths is that they are extremely good at pretending to be something they are not. If you look back at most serial killers in history, people would say they were charming, family men, good husbands, nice neighbors, and so on. They can also usually think very rationally and control their urge to kill. If she had even for a moment let her mask fall by hurting or even killing a patient, then she would have ruined her disguise. Even if she had confidence in doing it without being discovered, it was still a risk she was not willing to take. She did show some lack of empathy here and there for more attentive eyes, which was the reason I suspected her way before the reveal. For example, when the patient that pretended to be her went missing, she said to clear out her things and prepare the bed for a new patient. She did not even wait a day. Ofc we know she knew that patient would not be coming back. But other people were surprised at her decision and at how she showed no concern about the patient.

@ Zoecohen 

All this mystery about MY's mother and finally the writer just made her a psychopath and a murderer who killed KT and ST'mother for a few words she said about little MY. I can accept that she survived the fight and the lockdown in the basement and disappeared. That she changed her face and managed to work at the clinic for many years.

As you said, beside the fact that she needed to show a totally different personality and to keep her craziness under the radar, her revenge  on her husband was actually weak. He seemed not aware that she was his wife.  So what's the point if he even doesn't know it is her? It is like saying an insult to someone in a language he doesn't understand. He would not bother and maybe take it for a compliment. How could she take a real satisfaction from that.

And also why she went to the hospital where MY was presenting her book? Was she stalking her daughter too? This is why she witnessed MY and KT meeting again 20 years after. Did she recognized the caregiver as little KT?  She watched the fight and picked up the knife that MY stole and threw away there. Why she had that patient dead? Did she anticipated  KT, ST, MY,  would come work at her hospital? Did she made it happen?  All these  questions unanswered make her actions and motivations against KT, ST, MY,  quite unclear to me.

She had little interactions with them in the hospital. Did she paid some secret visits to them without being noticed? Is this how she noticed her daughter found  a new family? It is also unclear. What did she witnessed? Them  having breakfast together, arguing, fighting, playing or drinking together... What triggered her anger and disappointment about her daughter? It is not precisely told.

The final revelation in MY's house was ok. I thought it was intense and enjoyable. I am just  thinking if the writer wanted to get rid of mysterious figure of the mother who was like a ghost watching her daughter and to go straight to a psychopath murderer trying to separate them in this final showdown, he should have totally assumed it by making some things  clearer in the flashbacks. For example by showing :

- That MY's mother disappeared 20 years but she always kept on watching and stalking her daughter.  Like she did with her husband.  It would have been consistent with the words she said to her in the prison.

- That she managed to be "normal" until she witnessed KT and MY meet again in the park of the hospital/behind the stage in the hospital. Somehow she recognized him as her prince who would take her daughter away.

- She picked up the knife and went to kill the patient who hurt  her daughter she cares about. She killed  KT and ST's mother for a few words regarding MY. Of course she would kill the guy who tried to strangle her.

- She pulled strings with the director Oh and Juri to have them come to the Clinic to start her schemes and manipulate them for a happy reunion.

- She interacted with her daughter in disguise and she saw the changes in her behavior, attitudes, clothes...

- She used underhanded ways to convince MY that KT and ST are no good for her.

Few things that would have brought more logic and consistency to her motivations. Instead, the writer chose to keep the same approach and leave the audience with its own imagination but many were confused. That was a good approach to form the mystery around the characters and the events but to resolve the situation, I thought it was not effective enough to make me to  buy it like that. Still I accept the choice of the writers. Me I would have made MY's mother use one of the three against the two others and not herself as a reason of a simple dilemma. KT or MY should have bled more lol.

I still consider this drama a very good one. So far the best one of 2020 for me.

@ OneAjhussi 

Totally agree! Those are all really good points. I really enjoyed the show too, but I found that I did get a tiny bit tired of it about halfway through. I'm not really sure why because I really enjoyed the character development and interactions. I think because hyper-stylized stories are great, but you need more than just stylized-ness. There has to be some substance there. And while I liked Mun Young's character, I also felt that all we really saw of her were her trauma and her obsession with Gang Tae. There wasn't a whole lot else that made up Mun Young. Those two factors motivated all of her behavior in the entire 16+ hours' worth of the show. It's weird because I really did quite like the story, so I'm not sure why it felt a bit hollow after some time. I know I'm in the minority here, so I'll just sit and think about it on my own for a little while lol

@ Zoecohen 

Yes  the drama slows down in the middle. Maybe because we loose the stylized part, the original and Tim Burtonesque style . KT and MY become a couple and they behave differently as one influences the behavior of the other. They become "normal" people. ST also changes to become more of a "normal"  big brother. I found it slow but still I enjoyed the different tone, more fun and heartwarming.  KT became weaker than he looked in the begining but happier and ST  became stronger and also happier. It was good development.  

As for MY, I think beside her unique personnality caused by her trauma and beside her obsession to own KT, we also see  development. She does not become a nice person and her character and her temper do not change. But she has more consideration for people who become important for her: the two brothers but also Juri, her publisher and she has mother daughter interactions with Juri's mother. She learns to love people and KT and ST her new family to the point she would try to stab her mother to stop her.  

She was just a little weird obedient girl with gloomy ideas in the beginning. I was very satisfied with her last discussion with her mother which shows she will be who she wants. Not the person  her mother wants. 

Very true -- good points! Yeah, I thought that with the KT/ST brothers, the development was really well done, but I see what you mean about MY as well. I guess part of the reason why I felt we didn't see too much of her personality is that it's hard for me to picture what she'll be doing in the future. ST will be an illustrator, KT will study and live his life for himself, but with MY, what will she do besides sticking with them? She may or may not keep writing, may or may not travel, may or may not sell the house. She now has a couple of friends, but I don't know much about her besides that she's gotten a bit gentler and warmer.

I think KMY now, live freely from her past.. now she have someone to protect. she doesn't need to be a good girl like her mother want her to be..

About she doing in future, I think she want have a baby with KT and be a different mother from her mother LOL (just my thought)

Haha a nice thought! I'm not sure either she or KT are ready to have yet another person they have to take care of though...lol

haha I know..of course not instantly.. but I'm very sure they will be a good parents.. they learning from the past..

actually KMY is a impulsive person.. she do whatever she wanna do.. I'm happy its not change.. because for now, she want to make KT happy..and she will do the best for him.. make his dream come true.. 

I think has someone in her life who can take care and love her is her dream. Not being alone anymore..

It was stupid, she was a famous author that went missing and she stayed at the hospital for 2 decades and nobody noticed? 

The story you described about your father's sister is exactly what makes concussions deadly (that's what she had by the way). That's why people should always be checked when they've hit their heads. It's why they have to be monitored for a day or two after the incident. There will be signs (sudden dizziness, nausea, etc.) but they will feel and seem otherwise fine. If there's any sort of swelling, or unopened head wound, people need to know they should ABSOLUTELY get checked out because that's a warning sign for an internal brain bleed. Nausea is the other big one. Dizziness the 3rd. Incoherence comes when it's pretty much already too late.

John Smith:

As unbelievable as it was that the mother of KMY survived and thrived, I also found it just as unbelievable that the Moon brothers survived and thrived after running away. I just chalked it up to the fact you have to suspend belief when watching dramas in general.

Open head wounds bleed a lot which always makes them seem worse than they actually are AND the FL said when she saw her locked in the basement she clearly had a cracked skull, BUT I agree that it's weird. Like - how did she get out of the bag and lake and where did she go from there. Did she take the bag she was in with her? How the hell did she afford all that plastic surgery? Did she somehow return to her wealthy family then leave them again? 

Plus, the Moon brothers. I get that they were never able to go to school again after running away (which made sense, so I'm glad they at least included that much in the story because I had wondering how they'd supposedly pulled that off at first) but how did they survive? Did someone take them in or did they live on the streets?? How the heck did the ML become a nursing technician. I guess he could have gotten his certification once he was an adult...

Despite all those questions I still loved it though. You're absolutely right that it's almost always requires you to suspend belief in some way or another to fully enjoy dramas, some more than others.