Lilli_:
Did you also notice the painting of a boy on a swing below a tree in Do San's room? Is this cue supposed to tell us that Do San is the destined other half of Dal Mi? 

I noticed this twice (once when DS's cousin peeped into his room), and again in yesterday's episode. Though I said once, mockingly, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out DS and DM were lovers in their past lives so their sudden love and bond could be justified. But I really hope they don't go down that road - making DS DM's childhood's playmate or something. It'd be the death of me.

ItsV:
But I really hope they don't go down that road - making DS DM's childhood's playmate or something. It'd be the death of me.

I second that.

It is a very nice review on ep 13 and 14. I agree with everything you have mentioned. Actually I have lost the interest in the show as it is becoming very confusing without a good flow. Writer is trying her very best to pair DS and DM which is very annoying after all this mess.

Lilli_:
Did you also notice the painting of a boy on a swing below a tree in Do San's room? Is this cue supposed to tell us that Do San is the destined other half of Dal Mi?

Oh, again, great that you remind me of that! I wanted to talk about an underlying theme and it just so becomes evident when we're also introduced to that painting. I needed to go back to find a scene that mirrors this, and ironically I found it at episode 7. So here goes:

---

So let's first deconstruct the painting, because I think there's a lot to be interpreted here.
Yes, this picture does indeed mirror Dal-Mi's symbolic representation (the girl on the swing, aka Sanbox's logo). However, there is also the introduction of an important motif, which is the Cherry Blossom.
The Cherry Blossoms are beautiful but fragile, as they bloom only for a short amount of time. So this sometimes represents a short, fragile love. 
So if Do San is not the end game, this could very well tie into this. Not only are the cherry blossoms telling us that their love was fragile and short, but we have in addition the dark blue color which usually symbolizes sadness.

In addition to that, I'd like to showcase a situation that happened in episode 14, which just so happens to mirror a very similar scene in episode 7 and it yields a lot of things to interpret:

In episode 7, rejecting his growing feelings for Dal Mi, Ji Pyung goes to his livingroom, takes the plant she gave him (and which represents his bond with her), and throws it into the trashcan... except that later on, this happens:
In episode 14, rejecting his lingering feelings for Dal Mi, Do San goes into his room, takes the ball (which represents his feelings for Dal Mi, since she was "his dream"), and throws it into the trashcan. Except, not long after that, this happens:
So, basically, both guys get stopped by other people and, in a way, are convinced to not give up. Of course, we can still interpret the objects themselves.
Notice that for HJP, a plant represents his feelings for Dal Mi. And a plant usually has the embedded meaning of nurturing.

Not only that, but we see him constantly taking care of the plant and wishing for her success, which spot-on represents his feelings for her and how he's handling them.

He not only loves Dal Mi, but takes care to nurture her as well.
In contrast, NDS's feelings are represented by a worn-out baseball. The ball itself has the embedded meaning of trying to get him to follow his dream and not to follow someone else's direction/instructions (which is an underlying there we've been constantly getting from Do San's story).

However, noticed that the ball has now been preserved. Meaning, he can neither interact with it nor touch it. If this truly represents his feelings for Dal Mi, it may indicate that she'll become simply a memory. One he can look at every now and then, but which cannot be touched anymore.

Purple Orchids:
At this point, the writer has lost so much credibility in my eyes, I don't believe she'll give us the positive messages. The only thing saving me from dropping this drama entirely is HJP.

I'm still hoping this would have a resolution similar to Mama Fairy & The Woodcutter. At the very least, next week it'll end and we will finally have our answer!

ItsV:
The reason is very simple - my gut tells me that the same person who created such a beautiful wholesome character as HJP with much thought, great care and consistency couldn't NOT know what she was doing with the other character NDS and that she must have had her purposes.

Yes, I agree. It just seems inconsistent if it wasn't done on purpose. I think the "yanking our leash" is only meant as a ploy so we're "surprised" by whomever she chooses and we see it as a "plot-twist". Having said that, I'd hate it if it was an open ending where we got to decide who she chose at the end because that would simply come across as an inability to commit to a message.

ItsV:
But I really hope they don't go down that road - making DS DM's childhood's playmate or something. It'd be the death of me.

No! I would hate that. Though I did think for a while if, in episode one, the guy who tries to give In Jae a note would end up being Do San (since he was also standing with two friends). But I haven't revisited that scene to find out whether it was indeed Do San.

3GGG:

No! I would hate that. Though I did think for a while if, in episode one, the guy who tries to give In Jae a note would end up being Do San (since he was also standing with two friends). But I haven't revisited that scene to find out whether it was indeed Do San.

No, it's a different person.

What I just realized is that Yongsan was the one who asked before Dalmi when Injae and Jipyeong were speakers in the first episode. Here Yongsan already looks annoyed. Chulsan also came with Yongsan.

Ismail Bergitar:

No, it's a different person.

What I just realized is that Yongsan was the one who asked before Dalmi when Injae and Jipyeong were speakers in the first episode. Here Yongsan already looks annoyed. Chulsan also came with Yongsan.

Yeah, Yong San had been shady for me since a good while back, so him being the one to take revenge hadn't come as a surprise. That said, i appreciated that he apologized and asked HJP for advice regarding his company. He showed some semblance of a good CEO. Or at least, a better one than Do San for sure. 

3GGG:
i appreciated that he apologized and asked HJP for advice regarding his company. He showed some semblance of a good CEO. Or at least, a better one than Do San for sure. 

couldn't disagree with this

I actually associated the cherry blossoms only with fate/destiny since cherry/peach blossoms are often used as symbols for destiny and eternity in Asian mythology. It's actually also a recurrent theme in many Chinese dramas. Sometimes, it can even be found in the titles, e.g. Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms (and the alternative title of this drama is Eternal Love), which is why the painting immediately made me think of a destined and everlasting love.

But your interpretation totally makes sense. Especially in combination with the color blue, Do San's fate with Dal Mi could indeed be seen as a sad one.

And I loved your comparison between the plant and the ball! I completely missed that the ball has been preserved.

Btw, I left my thoughts on the writer's intention behind this drama in the comments section some hours ago. I'll repost it here for discussion: 

I'm now pretty convinced that the writer seriously overestimated her capabilities due to the immense love and praise her previous works received (there's an actual term for this kind of phenomenon but it doesn't come to my mind right now). 
She most likely wanted to pull off a Cyrano de Bergerac, and if that wasn't hard enough yet, weave it into a motivational story about youths in the business world, and on top of that, also create new kinds of characters that the Kdrama world hasn't seen before. Since the starting point of everything was her ambition to recreate Cyrano de Bergerac, this would also explain why the drama has turned into 90% love triangle right now, as the heartwrenching love story is the central theme for her.
Though, not even geniuses would be able to pull off all that and thus the writer obviously got lost in the middle and created a huge mess instead.

Based on this, both Dodal and Miji outcomes are possible. 

Dodal: If Dodal is the endgame, then the writer wanted to show us the beautiful and heartwrenching selfless love of a man (Ji Pyung) who was never blessed by fate. If this was her plan though, she should have chosen melodrama as the genre and maybe also made it clear from the very start that the story is centered on Ji Pyung. This kind of ending is completely out of place in a youth motivational drama and actually even demotivates instead.

Miji: If Miji is the endgame, she's giving Cyrano de Bergerac a twist by rewarding Ji Pyung for his selfless love, which could indeed be seen as motivational, and since it's supposed to be a youth motivational drama, I'm betting on this ending. Though, she clearly failed to execute it well and is only evoking frustration in us.

Edit: The title was supposed to be Sandbox but they couldn't use it because there's a real company with the same name and thus they changed it to Start-Up instead. If we see Sandbox as the title, the story suddenly makes sense since Ji Pyung is Dal Mi's Sandbox and the drama centers on Ji Pyung. It was never about businesses.

Lilli_:
I actually associated the cherry blossoms only with fate/destiny since cherry/peach blossoms are often used as symbols for destiny and eternity in Asian mythology.

Interesting. I haven't watched many Chinese dramas (only a handful) so this is quite interesting to find out. I'll definitely keep it in mind when I see cherry blossoms going forward. Now that I know that, I feel like that particular interpretation also fits with Come and Hug Me. As to here, I'm not sure. The color blue makes me think otherwise. 

Lilli_:
But your interpretation totally makes sense. Especially in combination with the color blue, Do San's fate with Dal Mi could indeed be seen as a sad one.

Indeed. It feels like the shade of blue was chosen intentionally to turn a beautiful picture somewhat sad, doesn't it?

Lilli_:
Though, not even geniuses would be able to pull off all that and thus the writer obviously got lost in the middle and created a huge mess instead.

I agree, it's starting to feel like that for me as well. Like the writer literally wrote herself into a corner with the love triangle and she's throwing a bone to both ships, in a way. I'll loath it if she ends up giving up an open ending where Dal Mi's choice is up to our interpretation, though. But I feel like --in an effort not to alienate any ships- she might do a final cop-out with an open ending.

Lilli_:
And I loved your comparison between the plant and the ball! I completely missed that the ball has been preserved.

I find it interesting that the mirror happened exactly 7 episodes from HJP's own scene with the plant as well. 

Lilli_:
Dodal: If Dodal is the endgame, then the writer wanted to show us the beautiful and heartwrenching selfless love of a man (Ji Pyung) who was never blessed by fate.

The problem with this message is also that Ji Pyung didn't get enough air time. And it would make all of Do-San's scenes (and his inability to grow) become just clutter. 

Lilli_:
If we see Sandbox as the title, the story suddenly makes sense since Ji Pyung is Dal Mi's Sandbox and the drama centers on Ji Pyung. It was never about businesses.

I hadn't thought of that connection but it's excellent! I'm hoping the end game is indeed HJP, if only so that our interpretation has merit and it wasn't pulled out coincidently by the writer!

While rewatching some scenes, I noticed a colourful painting with two rabbits in Dal Mi's room. I made a screenshot but it seems like I can only upload pictures by URL here. It can be seen in ep. 13 around minute 17 for instance.

Anyway, I was wondering if there could be a meaning behind this painting as well, and since I had no idea what the rabbits could stand for, I looked it up and found this:

"In Chinese and Korean folklore, there is a story of the Moon Rabbit, also known as the Jade Rabbit. It originates from a Buddhist tale in which the Emperor of Heavens asks three animals, the fox, the monkey, and the rabbit, to bring him food, while disguised as a beggar. The fox catches a fish and brings it as an offering to the beggar, whereas the monkey provides him with fruits. The rabbit, not being as resourceful as the others, could only bring him grass, so it decides to burn the grass and throw itself in it, thus offering itself to the beggar. Being impressed with the sacrifice of the rabbit, the Emperor sends him to the Moon to be its Guardian."

These explanations are making the episodes worthwhile (as a person who did not skip anything). Just as I was about to give up on my ship, I happened to read this. And now that we are down to two episodes, my hope is slowly coming back. I mean, it's not the end until the credits show up at the last episode!!!       :P

But I also think that, many of the details noticed by 3GGG were not the original intentions of the writers. The actors have a mind of their own how to represent the characters written. And so, even if it would be great that all the things listed here are true, the  I am sure that writers had unforeseen moments and the audience would have assumptions and interpretations that the writers did not intend to convey. (Protecting my heartu incase of a heartbreak :P mwahahahhaa)

Thank you so much for these analysis. It has taught me how to pay attention to details and appreciate more of the hard work that these makers have put into. :D

I have been a silent reader (for the most part) in forums in regards to KDramas, and Start-Up is not an exception because I honestly do not have the talent nor the brains to decode and interpret the meanings whilst the shows are airing however, I have felt this epiphany with this particular show as it has me diving into different theories and symbolism that the show may and is portraying.  

Your discussion thread is something I particularly like to read (hence making this account) because it fits with the theories regarding cinematography, color theory, and symbolisms that I have read so far, nuances that a director normally puts in order to depict certain scenarios, and the eventual future/end of a story so, I feel really thankful to have come across this.  Although I also do feel quite confused in regards to the "endgame" of this story as everything (for the most part) points to Jipyeong as he essentially the glue to this story. While non-verbal cues do depict him as the endgame, I am curious as to what your take on the verbal cues are since most of them point towards the (perhaps eventual) DoDal endgame. I am no writer but I do love to read and watch movies furthermore, I am studying psychology but I am still in the earlier stages so I do not think I have the capabilities to decode the psychological nuances of the show as my experience is very limited, and that they may be glossed over and unrealistic (in a sense) in a real-life setting.

Just like most people, I have also become disappointed with the over-all writing but mainly because it did not focus on the business tropes which (I thought was the point of the show) would be quite revolutionary in a KDrama (not that there aren't many, rather I felt that it was quite refreshing because it felt light but also bears actual weights that business entrepreneurs would have to endure). At the moment, I do not know what direction the story is heading or what final message they want to come across which I do find quite weird as an avid watcher of PHR shows. I know that the weekend is fast approaching but I would like to know what your theories are on the possible ending or what your thoughts are on what should happen in the end considering cinematographical depictions that the show is showing because, like you, I also do like to believe that everything was done on purpose and that this is not a case of "bad writing and bad directing".

Lilli_:
While rewatching some scenes, I noticed a colourful painting with two rabbits in Dal Mi's room. I made a screenshot but it seems like I can only upload pictures by URL here.

You can use this site to upload the screenshot and then share it via URL.

Interestingly enough, we have a similar story about a sacrificial rabbit being rewarded here in Mexico. As to whether that painting has any significance to Start Up, I would need to see it. I have noticed quite a few paintings in Grandma's house. There's one of a cat breaking out of a cage, if I recall correctly, but unlike the picture of the boy in the swing, the camera didn't emphasize it for me to take it as a cue. Notice how in the gif I posted with Do San and his baseball, the camera makes it a point to center on the picture before Do-San comes into the room. That --plus the intense color-- helps us pay attention.

ilanputo:
These explanations are making the episodes worthwhile (as a person who did not skip anything). Just as I was about to give up on my ship, I happened to read this. And now that we are down to two episodes, my hope is slowly coming back.

Thank you for reading and joining the conversation. I haven't given up hope either. If HJP isn't the endgame (and obviously the sister's bonding wasn't the plot), then this show would have a very muddled plot and a VERY problematic core message. 

ilanputo:
But I also think that, many of the details noticed by 3GGG were not the original intentions of the writers.

I think there are just far too many cues for it to all be coincidental. Keep in mind that I only started doing the short analysis almost halfway through the show. But since the very start, everything had been pointing to HJP as an end game. 

Having said that, the writer has said we "will be surprised by the ending" so it might very well be that she ends up alone. Or that the show ends with an open ending where we get to choose whatever ending we want (which I wouldn't like at all). 

If Do San ends up being the endgame, then it will just show that both the director and the writer were very confused about what they were doing, lol. And it also could be that politics may play a game in deciding the final outcome; regardless of the story both the writer and director wanted to tell.

ilanputo:
Thank you so much for these analysis. It has taught me how to pay attention to details and appreciate more of the hard work that these makers have put into. :D

Glad you enjoyed them. If you're interested in visual cues, I have a few articles I've written and published here that you may also find entertaining. You can find them linked in my profile.