Before I start, I just want to share my opinion to what I got out of watching Ancient Love Poetry (Prequel story to Yuan Qi's parents) and The Last Immortal (Yuan Qi Story and his own tribulation). 

I am going to stick to using the canon character names in the Novel (since I am not so fond of the name change to The Last Immortal to Yuan Qi's parents). 

As many of you who watched Ancient Love Poetry may know,  Shang Gu and Bai Jue is Yuan Qi's biological parents. 

Shang Gu - Yuan Qi's mother

Bai Jue - Yuan Qi's father

*** This is my view-point to what I understood from both Drama ***

The Chief God responsibility is to protect the Three Realms and that's their destiny, so when they accepted their destiny, that's them accepting to protect and ensuring the Peace of the Three Realms, so when it's time to prove if they are worthy i.e. 'Tribulation of Chaos'(which is said that only the Chief God, with Power of Chaos can stop it), they will make a choice whether they will sacrifice to protect the peace of the Three Realms(Shang Gu's decision) or not sacrifice (like what Xuanyi did, when he found out), so it does feel like it's a test to see if they are worthy for that title as Chief God.

Back then, Xuanyi was among the True Gods, who was the first "To-be-Chief God", but after he found out the destiny of what was installed for him, he rebelled against the God Realm and went against Destiny. He even said that Destiny is the enemy. After he rebelled against his own destiny, and fall to the 'Devil', Shang Gu was born, which her destiny was to replace Xuanyi. Literally, you can say that Xuanyi made Shang Gu the scape goat on something he should have done back then. Well, if Xuanyi accepted his destiny, then there won't be a story to tell us the difference between Xuanyi and Shang Gu, where Shang Gu proved herself worthy when she accepted her destiny, whereas Xuanyi is not worthy of that title because he have rebelled against his responsibility as Chief God.

So when Shang Gu accepted her destiny, to be the sacrifice and stop the Tribulations of Chaos, Bai Jue protected Shang Gu from her destiny, by saving her soul and temporarily sealed the Tribulation of Chaos to stop the process from completing back then.

When Bai Jue found out what exactly was the Tribulation of Chaos, all he wanted was to protect Shang Gu from her destiny. But Shang Gu accepted it because that's her responsibility as the Chief God.

I think this whole thing is like a test, so after it's resolved permanently, the right way with 'power of chaos', it won't happen again. Zhi Yang also told Bai Jue when Bai Jue wanted to take Shang Gu's place for this tribulation, that he can only 'temporarily' sealed/stopped it, not 'permanently' stopped/resolved it, because he didn't have the Power of Chaos core. That's why Shang Gu was needed since if she succeed it will be a permanent thing. This is the difference between having the Power of Chaos vs no Power of Chaos when sacrificing oneself. This is also the reason why Bai Jue went through great pain to obtain the power of chaos on his end. If the Power of Chaos cannot 'permanently' stop or resolve this, then there's no point in using the Power of Chaos to begin with. Since its only 'temporary' ending it not permanent. So after Bai Jue sacrifices himself at the end of Ancient Love Poetry in Shang Gu's place (with his Power of Chaos that he obtained), there is no more Tribulations since it's over now.

The story is telling us about Love & Responsibilities. Bai Jue protected Shang Gu from her destiny to replace her instead by obtaining the Power of Chaos, because he loves her, and he can't just sit back and do nothing. His sacrificial love is the core to this story, where it's not about love, but it is also about responsibilities of them being True Gods.

Here you can see the difference because while both Bai Jue and Tian Qi loves Shang Gu, they did not take the same paths to achieve the end result. Tian Qi only cared about protecting Shang Gu by sacrificing the Three Realms, and disregarded the innocents in the process, while Bai Jue will protect Shang Gu, by replacing her in this tribulation instead, which is protecting her from her destiny, and bringing peace to the Three Realms. Tian Qi even made a comment in the novel, after he realized Bai Jue's plan (which in the novel, is unlike the drama, he only found out just before Bai Jue sacrificed himself ) that his love for Shang Gu can never matched Bai Jue.

So, in the end, Bai Jue was able to come back is because of a 'miracle'; because they have passed this trial, their love does not take away their responsibility as 'true gods' because they will also protect the peace of the 'Three Realms'. Adding on this also being Shang Gu's wish in these 500 years, for Bai Jue to return to her since she asked the Ancestor Gods to bring back Bai Jue for her, which in the end, created this miracle for them, because in the end, they did not disappoint between love & responsibilities(as True Gods). 

Now, we are watching their son, Yuan Qi story unfold in The Last Immortal, and him going through his own Tribulation like his parents: Bai Jue and Shang Gu did back then. 

Every True God, do not just become a True God, without passing their own respective Tribulations that is set for them. They all have to go through it eventually to prove their worth of being a True God. Shang Gu have proved herself when she accepted her fate as the Chief God(and being worthy of the title), Bai Jue have also proved himself, that he didn't let love stop him from his responsibility of ensuring peace in the Three Realms (unlike Tian Qi path to save Shang Gu), so both Shang Gu and Bai Jue have passed their Tribulation (although it went through great heart-ache/pain to pass their tribulation). But as we know in Ancient Love Poetry, in the very end, Bai Jue was able to come back is because of a 'miracle'; because they have passed this trial, their love does not take away their responsibility as 'true gods' because they will also protect the peace of the 'Three Realms'. 

Adding onto this also being Shang Gu's wish in these 500 years(as mentioned in the ALP drama), for Bai Jue to return to her since she asked the Ancestor Gods to bring back Bai Jue for her, which in the end, created this miracle for them, because in the end, they did not disappoint between love & responsibilities(as True Gods). And Zhi Yang did said that among the 4 of them (True Gods), Shang Gu included, the Ancestors God did care for Shang Gu the most, so that miracle was granted to them. And the fact that the Ancestral God brought back Bai Jue with complete memories was indeed really merciful of them, because Shang Gu was expecting for the worst, since she was content if Bai Jue don't have his memories of the past as long as he's back, and she remembers him, so this shows me that the Ancestor Gods can be merciful and are not some heartless divine being.

This is also shown that when Feng Yin (A-Yin) was born and hatched at the beginning, she said something about wanting to travel the world and experience the 8 Hardships before she takes her title as the Pheonix Queen; since she wanted it to be fair for everyone, and someone who is worthy of her title of being a Pheonix Queen. 

Feng Yin is not only Yuan Qi's own tribulation, but Yuan Qi is Feng Yin Tribulation as well, they are each other's tribulation. This is why after she experienced all 8 hardships, when she returned to being Feng Yin, she ascended to being a "Demi-God", the first born Demi-god, that no other Pheonix have obtained when they were born, this happened because she actually went through her own tribulation as A-Yin before she returned to Feng Yin(as the Pheonix Queen).

Yuan Qi would probably have it more worst for his own tribulation, since from what I got out of this is the more higher status you are, the more disastrous your tribulation is.

I guess we will see when we finish the drama, how the story will unfold. 

From what I know is Tian Qi and YueMi reincarnation will also have a spinoff as well (for their own story), and we will see what Tian Qi's own tribulation will be like when that time comes.

So according to your explanation , in which timeline are we , as Yuan Qi 's father and mother both are locked and god Realm is empty now , does that mean in This timeline we are in the middle of it ?? or after ALP. 

ThatElysiansoul:

So according to your explanation , in which timeline are we , as Yuan Qi 's father and mother both are locked and god Realm is empty now , does that mean in This timeline we are in the middle of it ?? or after ALP. 

At the beginning to the Last Immortal prior to the 1000 years time skip when Yuan Qi is still 200 years old, the timeline that takes place is After Bai Jue (Yuan Qi's father) sacrificed himself and when Shang Gu (Yuan Qi's mother) was kneeling at the Ancestral Gods to revive Bai Jue.

In Ancient Love Poetry, it was also shown that Shang Gu had kneeled for 500 years before Bai Jue was revived and returned to her. 

So the time line in The Last Immortal now, 1000 years later (post time skip) when Yuan Qi is 1200 years old, Bai Jue has already returned in the God Realm.

ThatElysiansoul:

Yuan Qi was in God Realm when Shang Gu started kneeling in front of then ancestral stone to ask the ancestral God to reborn Bai Jue. Then Yuan Qi was sent to Dong Hua's sect. He had been cultivating there fore about 100 years until the event in this drama took place (the celebration of Feng Yin's nivana). This event happened during kneeling time of Shang Gu, meaning near the ending of ALP. Then it took 1000 years for Feng Yin to wake up/return. Bai Jue was reborn after Shang Gu kneeled for 500 years. Therefore, by the time Feng Yin woke up, it was after ALP. So, this is chronical order of the two dramas. 

However, the chronical events in the two novels (Shang Gu and Shen Yi) written by Xing Ling are different from the drama. 

Shang Gu actually kneeled for only 10 years then she was blewn out by supernatural force (the ancestral God spirit) and got injured. At the same time the Divine Pool where new true god would be born was activated and informed that new True god would come in 990 year. Yuan Qi had been sent to Dong Hue just right before Shang Gu returned to God realm and started her praying. And only 100 year after Shang Gu got injured, Bai Jue was reborn (this is the ending moment of ALP or Shang Gu novel). Bai Jue was reborn at the same time as Yuan Qi unsealed his power and became True God. So all later events of The Last Immortal happened after ALP. 

Additionally, in the novel, Bai Jue sensed Yuan Qi's promotion and he came to immortal realm to meet Yuan Qi. He asked Yuan Qi to return God Realm since the god realm would be closed for the next 1000 years to nurture the new True God. However, Yuan Qi declined and stayed in immortal realm to solved the issues involving Daze Sect and A Yin. Bai Jue saw his determination and he fully understood his son's decision (he himself had done the same thing for his lover). Bai Jue did not tell Shang Gu what happened to Yuan Qi. He even blocked the transmission of Yuan Qi's chaos power unsealing to the God Realm. The closing of god realm is explained here https://mydramalist.com/discussions/shen-yin/121769-shen-yin-the-last-immortal-novel-content-and-its-connection-with-ancient-love-poetry?pid=2904291&page=4#p2904291

KiKo Tsukino:
This is also shown that when Feng Yin (A-Yin) was born and hatched at the beginning, she said something about wanting to travel the world and experience the 8 Hardships before she takes her title as the Pheonix Queen; since she wanted it to be fair for everyone, and someone who is worthy of her title of being a Pheonix Queen.

Feng Yin is not only Yuan Qi's own tribulation, but Yuan Qi is Feng Yin Tribulation as well, they are each other's tribulation. This is why after she experienced all 8 hardships, when she returned to being Feng Yin, she ascended to being a "Demi-God", the first born Demi-god, that no other Pheonix have obtained when they were born, this happened because she actually went through her own tribulation as A-Yin before she returned to Feng Yin(as the Pheonix Queen).

Actually, this is the new creation of the drama when Yuan Qi asked the stone to fix his mistake on Feng Yin's nivana. The matter between Feng Yin and Yuan Qi was not really True God's tribulation which Yuan Qi must experience. What happened between Feng Yin and Yuan Qi in my opinion is private matter, kind of destiny. The way Feng Yin and Yuan Qi was born was against the Heaven Laws. In general, new fire phoenix was only born when the old phoenix passed away. Fire Phoenix was always single bloodline. Yuan Qi was born in abnormal way. All the true gods were born in the divine pool in God Realm as convergence of basic elements, power and spirit of Heaven and Earth. But Yuan Qi was conceived by merging the power, blood of his parents together with thunder strikes (Heavenly power) as said in the novel or by his parents' sex act as in the drama ALP. Their fates intertwined when he rushed to the holy wutong tree and sabotaged Feng Yin's nivana. According to the novel, his action was in fact saving her instead of doing harm to her. Since Feng Yin was abnormaly (against the Heaven and Earth Laws), she would have died and her soul would have been dispersed on her nivana. 

Feng Yin's tribulation was what happened to her as A Yin, not only the events happening to the water beast but also her tens time of reincarnation. 

About Yuan Qi's tribulation: His uncle Tian Qi once told him that in the world, for whoever God, immortal, demon or ordinary people, you would have to return whatever you got.  For those true Gods, they knew that the more privilage they got, the more responsibilities they had to take. And their responsibility is to protect and assure the sustainability of the three realms (or 4 including the god realm). Below is spoiler of Yuan Qi's tribulation according to the novel

His sacrifice (he used all of his power) to save Daze Sect was not his required tribulation. That is his private matter. His tribulation is when he faced the outbreak of Ghost Realm. He used his soul spirit and the power of his sword to seal the ghost realm. Thus, his soul was dispersed which is considered as completely dead. 

@H19279 

For me, I see tribulation is an obstacle and experiences they have to go through to show their worth. 

Whether it's in love(worthy of being with each other at the end, after going through all these obstacles set for them by fate) or the roles of being a True God (Yuan Qi) and Phoenix Queen (Feng Yin).

But thanks for the revelation of the novel anyways, I was mainly referring to the two drama and it's portrayal to the audience from Ancient Love Poetry to The Last Immortal when I made that original post.

One thing I wish it will stay true in the drama to its novel is that at the end of all this, I wish for both Yuan Qi and Feng Yin to get their happy ending it deserves.