I don't know how extensively the Notes field is used by others, but I've found it  is much easier to write a brief note to capture your thoughts about a title than it is to write a full-blown review. And I imagine some users are reluctant to write reviews because they are uncomfortable being subjected to public comment or criticism.

12votes

Yes please! Most of my thoughts I put in the notes because they're personal to me. I want the people I share my list with to see them, but often I don't want to post a review or comment on the shows' main pages for everyone to see.  I end up having to screenshot my notes when I recommend stuff to people. It's a hassle, why not just have an option to make notes visible?

This is just a suggestion for a work around which can be implemented now, but have you tried doing this with Custom Lists? Very suitable for brief notes, easy to share via a link, can be public or private (and that can be changed) and you can organise them however you want. I personally find them easier to scan through than my full Completed list and now mostly use the Notes section to remind myself why a title has gone into the black hole of good intentions, erm my PTW list.

I have it in my head that custom lists set to private are viewable via link if you give the link to someone but I've not done that so it would be worth checking.

It's not an exact overlap with what you want of course, but it might be ok enough for now.

I would like this also. I'd thought this was possible but I guess not!

I'd use this. 

TBH I'm too lazy to write full-blown reviews, even for my favourite dramas. But having people able to see a couple of comments in the notes section would be great. I could imagine it being handy for anthology or detective dramas - you could note down the good stories, cases etc you think are the best and worth watching.

Elisheva:

This is just a suggestion for a work around which can be implemented now, but have you tried doing this with Custom Lists? Very suitable for brief notes, easy to share via a link, can be public or private (and that can be changed) and you can organise them however you want. I personally find them easier to scan through than my full Completed list and now mostly use the Notes section to remind myself why a title has gone into the black hole of good intentions, erm my PTW list.

I have it in my head that custom lists set to private are viewable via link if you give the link to someone but I've not done that so it would be worth checking.

It's not an exact overlap with what you want of course, but it might be ok enough for now.

Great idea! I've been using the custom lists, but mostly to save lists of titles recommended some of the social media accounts I follow like "Best Romantic Comedies of the 2000s", or "Dramas By Dramas by Park Ji Eun".  Some titles aren't on Netflix, Prime, or even Viki and are a bit hard to find, so I've been using the comment field to put a link to those titles on "alternative" streaming sites when I can find them.

Thanks for the suggestion!

bbchops:
Thanks for the suggestion!

You're welcome :) Do you know the people behind the accounts well enough to encourage them to make custom lists with comments here? Someone I'm friendly with was happy to do that. Now all of her friends can find her mini-reviews in one place.

Good luck finding new ways to use yours :)

I don't know them, but perhaps I can make the suggestion to them. Lately, I've been enjoying the lists shared by  @_koreancinephile on Instagram.  The lists have led me to some older movies like "...ing" that I would never have found otherwise. On Youtube, the user "eontalk" helped me early on, although I haven't watched his content in a while.  

bbchops:
And I imagine some users are reluctant to write reviews because they are uncomfortable being subjected to public comment or criticism.

If the notes are made visible and someone disagrees with your thoughts, they can still troll you by sending direct messages. Often, people here don't engage with understanding and logic; instead, they defend their idols and, in doing so, target the person rather than addressing the topic.

I often use notes to keep track of key moments in shows, such as:

• Timestamp/episodes/time: first meeting or entry, first kiss, proposal, secret reveal, killer reveal, etc.
  • Where did I leave off: minutes and episodes.

If I'm keen to review something, there are comments, threads, and review sections available. Additionally, there is a custom list feature, as Elisheva   mentioned. However, no matter where you share your views, you can't escape the trolling from Brainless  fans. 

And here even the friends are not your real friends (they even request for friendship to gain points), they also troll you sometimes.  here keeping friendship only means to gain points, increase big friendship list (like FB)

I think there should be some privacy in the form of notes, firstly there is no option to make your watchlist private ( Add Privacy Settings ), anyone can see your personal watchlist and start attacking you and I am saying this from my experience

If there is an option to make it private , public  or friends then it is ok

Wow! I have no such experience with trolling. I know it exists, but I've never been on the receiving end of it.  I guess I should count myself lucky. 

I didn’t know that one gets points for making friends either. I don’t see the reason for getting points??

To keep more and more people busy here, contribution points and coins are given as reward for their every activity.

Wow, I learned something new today. And to think I have been writing all these long ass analysis posts for free. 😂