I think it's about time where there is a chinese drama where females are the ones in control. It's kind of a social commentary on chinese's society of women vs. men. I like it very much! I love both of the actors and hope that they can cooperate on another drama after this one ends. 

Yes it’s amazing how the social commentary is so tongue in cheek and lighthearted which makes us question the gender divide even as we laugh along 

It's refreshing for sure! Women are allowed the luxury of education, sexual exploration, and career advancement. But I think the city itself is not a completely perfect society because men are then switched to appear as second-class citizens as women are uplifted. If both sex are allow the same treatment, I think it'd be more awesome. 

I think the city is subtly being used to portray the gender inequality that both existed and exists. The beautiful thing about the concept is how it makes you wait and think. Like the scene where men aren't allowed to pay taxes because it might give them more rights, it takes a minute to sink in that this actually happened to women. People did not want women to have the same rights as men. 

It strikes a nerve when the ML is made to listen a list for reasons for divorce. Like women had to accept such rules as the norm and live according to them.

The whole concept is ingenious and whoever came up with it has my praises.  

QianQians Fury:

I think the city is subtly being used to portray the gender inequality that both existed and exists. The beautiful thing about the concept is how it makes you wait and think. Like the scene where men aren't allowed to pay taxes because it might give them more rights, it takes a minute to sink in that this actually happened to women. People did not want women to have the same rights as men. 

It strikes a nerve when the ML is made to listen a list for reasons for divorce. Like women had to accept such rules as the norm and live according to them.

The whole concept is ingenious and whoever came up with it has my praises.  

My exact thoughts but you said them much more eloquently.

this city is just as sexist as its counterpart. its refreshing, however, to realize that you begin to wonder if the things are normal when the switch is flipped. an excellent thought experiment.

It's very refreshing to see women running things instead of men having the upper hand as with other dramas and as well as in real life. It shows how having a "superior sex" is bad regardless who that may be and makes you really want to yearn for equality both in the drama as well as in real life. 

The balance in the role of man and woman is the ideal world which both cities were trying to achieve at the end. 

But I actually think there are 2 rather plot wholes to the female-centric world setting: 

1. Militarism is considered the main symbol of power, even in the rose city does not make sense. I agree that women can be equally talented and passionate about militarism, but retain this concept for a female-led society is a bit shallow thinking.
2. Why would the musical concubines behave this feministic? Why do they play music in the first place (which is the same art as female concubines in ancient times)? Why can't they perform arts that are "more masculine" and appreciated by women? I wished there could have been more creativity to some of the details given the stage was all set.

What do you guys think?

i just find it strange that it didn't become femaleland and maleland. i mean, if you're telling me that the other city over there treats me wonderfully while this one treats me like scum, why would i not move.

AkaneNozaki:

i just find it strange that it didn't become femaleland and maleland. i mean, if you're telling me that the other city over there treats me wonderfully while this one treats me like scum, why would i not move.

actually you do have a point LMAOOOO

AkaneNozaki:

I think this is because the setting is that there are no free movements between the cities except for special occasions such as the marriage of the prince and the princess. Also at the end, CQQ suggests that we should enable marriages between the cities which was the first attempt to open up the cities.
Also, I guess there will be a biological problem of not being able to produce kids if there is just one sex in each town. :D

Kotori:

I think this is because the setting is that there are no free movements between the cities except for special occasions such as the marriage of the prince and the princess. Also at the end, CQQ suggests that we should enable marriages between the cities which was the first attempt to open up the cities.
Also, I guess there will be a biological problem of not being able to produce kids if there is just one sex in each town. :D 

understandable, but when has illegal immigration ever stopped anyone who wanted a better life lmao

AkaneNozaki:

understandable, but when has illegal immigration ever stopped anyone who wanted a better life lmao

Haha. Indeed. Would have been nice if the drama put some of this aspect into there as well.